Read Marathon News

Answers are in the Magazine

21 to 29 of 29 messages
31/03/2010 at 14:35
Kryten wrote (see)
"How many miles long is FLM?"

Sorry guys, but this one is still outstanding.

Thanks for your help in advance

31/03/2010 at 14:44

It's a fair question.  (If you're a geek.)  CNBA looking up the technical details about course measurement rules but don't they deliberately add on a tiny fudge factor to make sure that the route is at least the official distance?  (26 miles, 385 yards?) 

And when was the course last measured (from each of the three starts)?  Have they taken into account any new road works, e.g. speed bumps or other traffic calming measures that have been built?  Hmmm? 

So I'm going to guess 26 miles, 493 yards.  Shall we have a sweepstake?  Who's got the Jones counter?

31/03/2010 at 14:55

Well if you follow the red line then it should be exactly 26.2 miles.

However, how many people actually get to follow the line the entire way round? Not even all the elites.

Therefore, god knows what distance the rest of us average Joes do. Everytime we follow a corner a little bit wider that must add up.

31/03/2010 at 16:33
k8greene wrote (see)

Well if you follow the red line then it should be exactly 26.2 miles.

What colour is the line?
31/03/2010 at 16:55

Marathon News could do with separating the important information for runners from the endless pages of adverts and articles. I mean, I want to find out what station Im going to or what start I'll be in, and helpful stuff like that, but Im not too interested in some journalists account of what he got upto in the summer preparing for the VLM, fun as Im sure it is. Maybe this is why people come on here asking questions.

And anyway, shouldnt it be the Virgin London Snickers?

cougie    pirate
31/03/2010 at 16:56
I did see some cheeky bugger cutting a corner out completely last year - we went round a roundabout and it was taped off - he nipped under the tape and ran the short way round the roundabout. He was going like the clappers too. Hope he blew up !
31/03/2010 at 17:06
TrickyDicky wrote (see)
Do I have to run it all or can I take my bike? I've read the mag from cover to cover and it doesn't mention bikes anywhere!

If you've read the mag then you should have read that wheeled vehicles are not allowed.  So it's absolutely fine to take your bike as long as you take the wheels off first.
02/04/2010 at 11:34

I have noticed a mistake in Marathon News: In the final instructions 'The Course' section, 'Walking' paragraph it mentions a 'Blue' line. Is this a copy paste error from last year when the line was blue?

Picky I know.....or am I wrong?

02/04/2010 at 16:53

I believe you are correct Mr Boat

Not got the mag in front of me (working    )but sure that the line was red but then suddenly it said blue.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 29 of 29 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.