Retrocalcaneal Bursitis - Bad Heel

Help

3 messages
25/02/2010 at 23:11

I am suffering from retrocalcaneal Bursitis - I picked up what I thoought was a niggle on one of my shorter mid week runs last week, thought it had settled down so did my 16 mile LSR as part of my build up to the London Marathon last Sunday - Monday am could hardly walk and have not been able to do anything on it this week at all.  Please can anyone give me advice on the best form of treatment as I London is getting closer and I need to get the miles in this month.  Thanks  Ade

08/03/2010 at 14:12

Hi Adrian   I have continually had retrocalcaneal bursitis since my last marathon in 2007!  I have had an MRI scan which showed  this problem together with tendinosis of the achilles causing alot of inflammation around the achilles insertion.  My heel is ok if I only run 3 times a week but when I do my long runs I have to ice continuously for at least 24 hours to get the inflammation down and in turn ease the pain.  My consultant reckons with proper management ie. physiotherapy to the achilles and gastroc muscle including ultrasound - I should be okay for this years VLM.  I have had one cortizone injection which helped for about 9 weeks.  Surgery was also offered but I have decided not to have it.  The result of this condition for me is to rest in between running, stretch at every opportunity, run as much off road as I possibly can and have weekly visits to the physio.  I have always been a sub 4 marathon runner and I will be happy with sub 5 hours this year.  Good luck with your training!!

29/02/2012 at 22:27
Not sure if you will be reading this - just wondering how you got on - did you manage to run the marathon - just asking as I am suffering the same thing ! been out of running for nearly 2 weeks - need to get back to it to get ready for the London

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.