Rome Marathon 2013

A board for all those considering running the Rome Marathon in 2013

201 to 220 of 528 messages
23/01/2013 at 22:44

3hrs on a dreadmill - crikey, you're made of strong stuff! I had a great 16.5mi trail run across snowy Kent fields on Sunday. Feeling good at the moment, and so far injury free (touch wood!!).

24/01/2013 at 14:18

The snow is sure slowing down my training but not too much. Went for a snowy 5 miles last night and am still aiming to get my 20 miles in on Saturday. Fun Fun Fun

24/01/2013 at 14:49

Hi people - Im doing Rome this year as well (and Brighton in April). Treating Rome as a training run for Brighton, as i cant run 2 fast marathons in 4 weeks. Looks like the snow should be gone by next week, as it is warming up.

24/01/2013 at 15:08
rbolio wrote (see)

Busted my ITBS while training for Rome this weekend.... Doc says it ain't too bad

what would you guys suggest? posponing/ changing to a different marathon or keep going? 

I ran Berlin marathon last year after a really bad case of ITBS (to the point it was painful to walk or drive), but still ran Berlin with no training (6 months off with a 5 mile run the week before) and used an ITBS band. Not a very good time of 3:49, but really enjoyed the marathon and would do it again
So it can be done. My approach was just to try and get to the start line. BUT DO NOT keep running with bad itbs, as it will get chronic like mine did.

24/01/2013 at 16:02

I am running a Rome marathon too this year. Finally received a confirmation about registration - what a pain it was! The organisers seem to be very burocratic and strict about medical certificates! My GP added to the trouble by refusing to sign my certificate referring to some new policy....Ended up going to a private GP and paying £60 for getting my blood pressure checked! Training at lunch breaks and weekends mostly with an occasional run in the evening. Planning 18 miles this weekend. Was meant to run 10k this Sat but it was postponed due to ice..

26/01/2013 at 10:56

Gp's always charge you don't they? That's why I used this...

26/01/2013 at 12:46
Boom! 20 miles done

Pleased with my training thus far, just hope it lasts.

How are you all getting on?
26/01/2013 at 13:53

Just finished a beautiful 18 miles in the relatively mild sunshine for a change! Felt really good and knew I could have carried on if I had too (which is encouraging). Doing a hilly half marathon race next weekend and then my first of two 20 milers. Getting so close to the end of the schedule now - getting excited!

26/01/2013 at 22:54
I'm envious of all you high milers. After 4 weeks off and swimming/yoga/biking, I did my first run on Thursday. Today I managed 5k over half an hour, foot strapped with KT tape. It was fractured in the end but I damaged the tendons. No swelling tonight so making progress. My swimming has come on but I have been having lessons! Hate swimming but now finding it's actually ok!!
26/01/2013 at 22:54
That was meant to read "wasn't fractured"
27/01/2013 at 08:42

Ami - I was just wondering the other day how you were getting on. Glad to hear it wasn't a fracture in the end. Are you still going ot be on track to run the marathon do you think? I'm sure you'll get back to where you were pretty quickly as it sounds like you've kept up your basic fitness. All the best with it.

27/01/2013 at 09:17
Thanks Kirsty. I'm hoping so. Just taking it really easy as over 4 weeks later and foot still not quite right. Extensor tendonitis. I lace my runners differently, use kinesiology tape and massage and stretch the foot out after a run. I'm very nervous to push it. Sticking to a treadmill for now.

The good thing that has come out of this is that my swimming technique has greatly improved. Honestly I was absolutely hopeless so I enrolled on an 11-week adult improver course. I'm the only one in the group and the coach is excellent. She has planted the seed of triathlon as she is also the tri coach. We'll see

Thank you for thinking of me Kirsty. I am so looking forward to meeting you all!!!
ADG
27/01/2013 at 16:32

my weekly miles are slowly increasing, 28,16,11,28,23,32,34. I'm taking it nice and easy, and should hit 50+ this week and for the next month I'll sit about 50 a week and start to get my pace down. LSR planned for Thursday, weather permitting it'll be my first  20+ since Berllin Marathon last September.

ADG
29/01/2013 at 21:58

Training for Rome is going okay at the moment with an 18-mile run achieved at the weekend; however, I have been suffering from a painful left knee since I got a PB at the Inskip Half last week.  Hopefully, it will sort itself out over the next few weeks as I am due to run my first 20 miler next week.

30/01/2013 at 00:32
Hello all, I've been following this thread since Oct when I signed up for Rome after receiving yet another VLM rejection top and crap magazine!

This will be only my second marathon having completed Paris last year in 3.55 which I'm still smiling with pride at now.

I'm knocking on the door of 40 yet I only started running 3 yrs ago after groin & ankle injuries forced me to retire from playing football.

There have been some great tips and pieces of advice about training and Rome itself on here. I'm sure this will increase as the day approaches. There aren't many long runs left esp when you factor in a couple of weeks of tapering.

I hope the recently announced repairs to the Trevi Fountain don't start until April onwards!

Anyone else listen to audio books on runs? Apart from a few pod casts I can't run to anything else, except a good crime novel. Having music on puts me off running now. How strange?

That's me for now.
I'll carry on monitoring you regular posters and may come back with a Q or two in the coming weeks.
31/01/2013 at 15:42

Wow - I just went out for a lunchtime 5km short run (as I can't make it to my usual track session tonight) and had to stop and walk home after 2.7 miles....I honestly can't remember the last time I had to stop and walk in a run. Made it through 18 miles no problem at the weekend; did club run of 6.7 miles last night all fine at a steady pace. Was well hydrated and had eaten a bowl of porridge two hours earlier. No idea why but as soon as I set out, it all felt too hard - was puffing and panting all over the place and felt like it was my first ever run - and then after about 2 miles, I started to get really bad abdominal cramps (like period pains but it's not that time of the month - sorry guys...). That's ultimately what forced me to stop and walk in the end - probably could have soldiered on if it was just the fatigue issue but the cramps made it impossible to keep going. I wasn't even particularly racing it - was faster than my longer runs obviously but nothing spectaular - I wasn't about to go breaking any records or anything! Hubby says to put it down to one of those bad running days, but keep thinking, what if that happens on the marathon day (I don't like having things like that out of my control - I'd rather understand why my body reacted like that today so I can plan for it or rectify it (do I sound like a control freak now?! Lol!),

Anyway - just needed to get it off my chest to be honest as am now feeling pretty low. Have a hilly half marathon race on Sunday and today was my last run before then - not feeling confident about it at all now. Off to eat fish finger sandwiches with red sauce so I can wallow properly!

Thanks for listening...

31/01/2013 at 16:15
Sorry this happened but I think every runner will have a bad day. The crowd and adrenaline will carry you on the day. Take it easy with your next race, now is the time that runners tend to get injured especially newer runners.

Enjoy your fish fingers, I suddenly feel hungry!!
ADG
31/01/2013 at 16:49

sounds like overtraining, take some days off. I've just done zero miles for 5 days then today did a tough 16, half uphill in high wind and rain...totally knackered now though lol

ADG
08/02/2013 at 12:32

First twenty miler tomorrow morning... eek!

08/02/2013 at 14:43

Likewise! I have a hilly 19 miles to get through.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.