Rome Marathon 2013

A board for all those considering running the Rome Marathon in 2013

221 to 240 of 528 messages
13/02/2013 at 21:59
Has anyone who has run this race before or any of you Maratona virgins found any information about spectating? The missus is worried she will not see me at all and she will get lost along the route in the crowds. Or is this info available at the expo?

Training going great at the moment... However I am off on a stag weekend on Friday! But I'm taking my running gear with me and hope for a couple of short blasts.
ADG
14/02/2013 at 21:37

good weather tonight, did 5 and a bit in 8.45 mm average, 16 tuesday and 16 sunday both at high 9s so going well. I need a few more longuns, only did a total of 16 last week, two runs of 8.

As for meeting at the end, at every city marathon I've done it's chaotic at the finish so make a prearranged meeting place and make sure you're realistic about what time you'll be there and make sure you can find it easily don't make it a bench or a street light it's surprising how everything looks different after 26.2, add an hour to your predicted finish time so you can recover enough to make it there, a lot have A-Z for surnames and they're great for meeting up.

ADG
15/02/2013 at 08:20

I haven't run or watched it before, but I have been told not to expect crowds anywhere near in the region of London etc - I think it's well supported but there will be stretches where there are minimal supporters as the Roman's aren't fanatical about it. Although it is extremely likely that the entire catholic church will be in Rome that weekend electing a new Pope so it may be busier than previous years! Typical!

Edited: 15/02/2013 at 11:32
20/02/2013 at 22:45

Just picking up on that, is it just possible that the election/ inauguration of the new Pope might disrupt this year's Rome Marathon? Any thoughts/ information on this? Should I be "running" this past my local priest?

21/02/2013 at 09:13

Hi Bex

Last I heard was that conclave was provisionally arranged for Friday 15th March and it usually takes a couple of days so very high likelihood that the Pope will be elected the same day as the marathon - which means the part of the route that goes through St Peters Quare might be a tad congested! Or diverted... Although I heard a few days ago that they were considering bringing conclave forward a week to the weekend before the marathon so allow the new Pope an extra week settling in before Easter week starts - nothing released from the marathon organisers about planned or potential diversions to the route, but I would certainly expect the city to be noticeably busier than usual (add to the mix the Ireland Vs Italy 6 nations rugby match taking place in Rome the day before the marathon - it's going to be potentially a very mental time to be in the city!

21/02/2013 at 20:46
Thanks Kirsty & ADG for previous advice.
It's going to be an interesting few weeks in the build up.
Being a catholic myself (not a regular customer though) I am hoping to be able to catch the excitement of the race and the papal stuff as well!
21/02/2013 at 22:48

Thank you for this helpful information.

Sounds like I had better keep a watchful eye on the Rome Marathon website!

25/02/2013 at 09:37

Wow - start of the three week taper - how did that come round so fast? So close now - don't know whether to be nervous or excited. Did my second 20 miler on Saturday morning - managed to get round the whole thing and keep more or less within my hopeful marathon pace (as this is my first marathon, I just want to firstly finish and secondly come in under 4.30 if poss so tried to keep my pace between 9 and 10 minute miles). Finished it in 3.15 so happy with that. 

25/02/2013 at 14:21

Has anyone yet managed to find out where the cobbled areas are and how long they last for? I was told it was 50% cobbled but I can't believe that!

25/02/2013 at 15:49

Not gate crashing, just interested to see who is going to Rome!  Envious, I did it last year - awesome..!  bit bottle necky in places, cobbles mostly at the end, not sure how many KM's but a few for sure, very narrow streets too.  So much to see, so many people (in the way) and it was quite warm.  I loved it, hope to do it again, but this year it's Paris for me.

Enjoy everyone

26/02/2013 at 11:18

Not sure if people have seen this or not - announcement from committee re election of new Pope and potential disruption to the course - was posted on their facebook page today:

PAPAL CONCLAVE: RACECOURSE INFORMATION

The Rome Marathon organizing committee informs all runners that the potential variation of sections of the racecourse depends on the schedule of the Papal Conclave and the consequent decisions of the Prefecture of Rome about public order and security.

Three events may affect the Rome Marathon racecourse: the day of the election itself, the Enthronement of the new Pope and his first Angelus.

The College of Cardinals will meet on March 1.

We have developed several modifications of the racecourse and are ready to implement them should need arise.

We will immediately inform you of any variation that may occur.

None of the Institutions involved has talked about postponing or cancelling the Rome Marathon 2013.
26/02/2013 at 23:43

That's very ueful to know Kirsty. thank you

fingers crossed that the race won't be disrupted!

27/02/2013 at 00:03
Thanks Kirsty, really informative update.
I also completed my 2nd and last 20miler on Sunday and it feels good to be in taper time. I was very disciplined on sun and wanted to go faster in the last 5 but kept it constant.
Fingers crossed (or say a prayer) that the 5 months worth of training for Rome will still be used out there.
27/02/2013 at 07:42

So what a weekend, we have the Marathon, the usual pre-easter rush to Rome, the Irish for the rugby, the Italian rugby fans, just about every Catholic Priest, Cardinal and Bishop in the world, and a Roma vs Parma football match on the Sunday evening. Should be a nice quiet weekend in Rome 

27/02/2013 at 10:04

EKGO - bring it on!

27/02/2013 at 11:38

Don't forget St Patricks Day - I have a feeling Rome may have more Irish than Romans that weekend! I think we deserve a Guiness or two after running 26.2 miles...

ADG
27/02/2013 at 22:48

did 16.5 with some steep hills today, about 2mm down on mp and felt pretty good, running a half on Sunday with a target time of 2 hours against my pb of 1 39 and intend to run an extra 6, probably 3 before and after to make it a decent lsr; then I just need to find a couple of 20+ milers and I'll be ready...how long we got left???

ADG
01/03/2013 at 11:21

With just over two weeks to go, has anyone still not sorted accomodation? Just curious, as I'm notorious for leaving everything till the last minute....except in this I was organised.

01/03/2013 at 16:52

This has just been posted online:

OFFICIAL STATEMENT BY RACE ORGANIZERS: RACE DAY IS CONFIRMED: MARCH 17

After this afternoon's summit held by Enrico Castrucci (President of the Rome Marathon), Gianni Alemanno (Mayor of Rome) and Alessandro Cochi (Councillor for Sports of the Municipality of Rome), and after consulting with the Prefect of Rome, Giuseppe Pecoraro, the Rome Marathon date has been confirmed for Sunday, March 17.
SHOULD THE EVENT BE CONCURRENT WITH THE POPE'S EHTHRONEMENT CEREMONY, the racecourse will not be changed, and the start postponed to 4:00pm.
01/03/2013 at 16:54

Not sure I like the sound of a 4pm potential start time - It'll be well into the evening by time we're finishing - I've got to get a flight home at 7.40am the following morning and had been looking forward to a realxing and recuperating meal out on the Sunday evening - oh well, better than it being cancelled or date changed altogether I suppose...

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.