Rome Marathon 2013

A board for all those considering running the Rome Marathon in 2013

261 to 280 of 528 messages
03/03/2013 at 21:24

Seren, are you running Rome?

I'm too laid back to care what time I run, and really would prefer if all races started later, I hate getting up early.

Oh yeah if it starts at 4pm no one will be out after 9pm because of the 5 hr cut off  

ADG
03/03/2013 at 21:28

whatever time it starts doesn't make a difference, just concentrate on getting to the start line, 9am, 4pm doesn't make a difference, I'll be focused on getting to the start line in a good state to complete my goal.

ADG
03/03/2013 at 22:30

Quite looking forward to it now, have a few miles to get in beforehand but should be fine, I only get there on the friday before but love the city so can't wait. Lardarse not sure what the gain was but maybe I'll try a late run again next weekend

04/03/2013 at 00:33
Went out for a 15 miler tonight between 6pm-8pm, not for any tactical reasons though. Having succumbed last night to a binge including 2 bottles of red wine and a large bag of pic n mix, I was not in any state for a morning run. Went well though, surprisingly, maybe i've found a new pre-race nutritional plan.

Curious as to whether those preparing for a 9am race factored in the slight time difference from GMT and also the potential warm temperatures for the latter part of the race?
Going to be 17 deg in Rome this week...
Me? I'm just there for the ride and to finish it. If I'm near 4hrs then I'll be very chuffed. Keep going people, less than a fortnight to go.
04/03/2013 at 09:57

Oh dear, my flight is at 8:55 pm !!!! on SUNDAY! so a 4pm start, 3 1/2 hours for marathon, makes it 8 pm basically! with 15 minutes before gate closes at 8:15pm.

So looks like game over for me! just a holiday and no marathon. All that training and doctors note is for nothing!

Not happy, really. but there you go!

04/03/2013 at 10:45

Paul, it may still go ahead at 9

04/03/2013 at 11:00

True EKGO it may do. Must keep positive.......

The frustrating part is that you gear your whole life around this one date, the training, flights holiday taken off work etc.

However it does sound like the most likely option is a 4pm start on Sunday.

ADG
04/03/2013 at 11:20

if they do postpone it you can defer for the next 3 years

ADG
04/03/2013 at 12:35

I dont think i would go through the whole application malarky again just to run a marathon. Plenty more others to do, and the entry fee is tiny compared to a fmaily trip (i take the whole family when i go, so it gets expensive, this was over £1000, so £50 entry fee does not really matter).

If it gets postponed i wont defer it. just forget about it and move on. Probably will not do an overseas one again, now NYC was cancelled and Rome might be postponed. Stick to local ones, once or twice a year.

04/03/2013 at 13:05

Paul, your situation is a different case to complaining about running at different times to training and you have my full sympathy. Could you not get a later flight, maybe scam the travel insurance somehow, tell them you've lost some baggage to pay for it?! 

04/03/2013 at 13:52

I cant find a later flight and the first one in the morning will get me in too late to work on the monday which i have to be there for. I dont mind paying for alater flight but the only one i could find was 9pm with air italia (and i doubt i would make that) 

Its not the end of the world, there are always more marathons, if it does get postponed that is - it might still be a 9am start (but i doubt it, as all indications are it has to be that sunday).

04/03/2013 at 13:54

Personally i dont really mind what time i run - morning preferred as its cooler obviously. I dont really see what or why training makes any difference for the time of day. However generally cooler conditions are nicer.

04/03/2013 at 17:08

See I like the heat and would rather run when it's hottest. I'm going on saturday, i've no idea what clothes to take, according to accuweather, last night they were saying Rome will be up to 24°c with several days of sunshine, now they're saying 11-15°c  

I know it feel a lot hotter there than here regardless, but still no idea what to take...

04/03/2013 at 18:00

I've lived in Italy for years and this will be my 6th Rome marathon. With a 4pm start the main problem will be the temperature, it'll be between 13-18° at the start (and we'll have to be there at 3pm in the pens and there are no shady bits) then once the sun goes down (around 5.45pm) it'll get chilly so as ADG said when we start getting tired  we'll start feeling a little bit cold. The temperature will easily drop by 10-15 degrees. Apart from that it's going to be buzzing in Rome and I'm sure there'll be more people than normal supporting, so good luck to everyone!

04/03/2013 at 18:43

I think the temperature dropping to 3-5 degrees will be worse for the locals as we're used to running in that temp every day. 

But tell me, are you acclimatised? Do you wear a coat when it's 15°C like the locals? How much clothing will I need? Is the air warm, or is there a chill to it?

04/03/2013 at 19:45

As a follower of odds, I thought I would have a look at the betting on the favourite subject of the moment.

Make of this whatever you want. Different angle to it.

Date of Conclave Starting

March 11 - 13  - 4/5

March 7 - 10  - 5/2

March 4 - 6  - 10/3

Conclave to Last

2 days 7/4

1 day  9/4

3 days 10/3

This would suggest that the bookies think it will last 2 days starting 11th - 13th March. Worst case for that is all done on 15th.

Does anyone know what that would mean to the marathon and enthronement date ?

As I said, a different angle for you all to ponder.

On the running front, I have had runners knee for about 5 weeks and it has obviously had a big impact on my training. I have managed to one 20 , one 18 one 16 and more recently 2 15's. The problem is that I am always in pain with it when I run.

An IT strap and massages has helped. It will be very unlikely that i will get all the way round and have resigned myself to possibly walking the last 6 miles.

Anyway.....

I also went to Rome at this time in 2011. This may sound slightly obvious, but the weather was great. Lovely in the sun, but very cold in the shade and took us by surprise so much that hoodies and scarves were purchased.

Good luck to all and please remember to try and enjoy the day, whatever that brings and for me whatever time it ends!!

Cheers all.

04/03/2013 at 20:28
Oh I have changed my mind - don't fancy a 4pm start ( not that it affects me as I will miss my flight ) - that is way too hot for me to run 26 miles in - I do my training over winter mornings.
Could be interesting as will it still be light when people finish ? Or will it be dark ? That would be a weird experience.
04/03/2013 at 22:45

Paul

I'm sorry that the possible re-scheduling will affect you so badly. Unfortunately, I think you may be one of many in the same situation. I hope they stick to 9am!

Like I said in an earlier post, it will reflect badly on the RC Church if the Charity fundraising effort is hampered by the delayed start time. Surely they need all the good publicity they can get at the moment.

Assuming that we all have to start at 4pm, then I think that a long lie in will be called for on the Sunday. As to what to wear, I am clueless. Presumably if the temperature doesn't start to drop significantly until about 6pm then we'll hardly notice the cold that far into the race? Any thoughts anyone?

04/03/2013 at 23:48

Sundown 6:18pm ut the forecast seems to change everyday.

05/03/2013 at 08:15

I love that you've collected the odds! Awesome! I know that the church leaders are keen to get the new Pope in place as soon as possible following his election - Easter week starts Monday 25th March and they therefore need to make sure that the enthronement is completed as soon as possible once conclave has finished so he has as much time as possible to settle into the job before the biggest week of his life starts - seems fair enough to me. As such, based on your odds of it being over by 15th - any date on or around the marathon is likely, however conclave is an unpredictable thing and it could be a case of a one-dayer or it could even drag on for weeks - it all depends on how unified the cardinals are in their thinking etc.

As an aside - I took delivery of my charity vest the other day and clearly need to do a run in it to make sure it doesn't chafe etc - however if I attempt to go out for a run along Poole's sea front at the moment in only a vest, I will get hypothermia! Not a gym member either - any ideas?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.