Rome Marathon 2013

A board for all those considering running the Rome Marathon in 2013

281 to 300 of 528 messages
05/03/2013 at 08:23

Doh - have just had my running vest dilemma solved by my six year old daughter - "why don't you just wear your running jacket over the top of it to keep you warm?" From the mouths of babes...

Worringly, that had not occurred to me at all.... think I'd best go for a lie down!

05/03/2013 at 08:23

I was going to run this with my son; it would have been his first. I live in Milan and he was going to fly out from London.

The score today is this. The cardinals are under pressure to have a pope in place before March 24th and since a coronation can only take place on a Sunday then it looks like it will be the 17th.

The race organisers are being very cynical. They know that over 60% of the field can not run if the start is at 4pm, but if they cancelled completely then they would have to refund (no offers from the vatican to compensate people they have inconvenienced).

If you are coming and are worried about the weather, this is the best site http://www.tempoitalia.it/meteo/roma however it should not be hot, say about 12 - 14c. That being said, this is Italy and in Milan in 2011 we had a freak heatwave and ran the MCM in 40c!!

I am keeping my final decision until next Tuesday but if I cancel I still lose €700 in train and plane tickets - thanks Pope.

05/03/2013 at 08:46

Good points there Dominic. I agree it appears its a done decision and almost certain the coronation will be on the sunday. It has cost me well over £1000, but will have to enjoy it as a holiday instead.

Kirsty, I ran last years Berlin marathon in a charity T shirt and chaffed really bad to the point i was bleeding (never had that before). So be careful with the charity vest.

I still think it will be so weird finishing a marathon in the Dark. Does no one else find this strange? At least it may be unique for people.

05/03/2013 at 09:14

Paul, your point about finishing in the dark is valid because the finishing stretch is on rough pave and the streetlighting is not too hot, so you would need to be very careful. Rough ground and tired runners are a risky mix as I know well from the finishes of sky runs in the alps.

05/03/2013 at 09:26

Didn't realise that the enthronement had to be on a Sunday.

If the bookies odds are correct (they normally are), I would suggest we all get ready for a 4pm start.

Apart from the temperature drop, I actually think it will be a unique experience and I will get a chance to get some sleep during the day. For my previous 3 marathons, I have slept terriblly the night before.

I was hoping to get close to 5 hrs, but with my injury, I fear this could be nearer 6.

Cross start line at 4.15 - Potential 10.15 finish.......nice.

Glad to say I am there till the Tuesday, so at least I haven't got to rush on the Monday morning.

Anyway... as I said in my earlier post. Try to enjoy it on the day. All of the really hard work will be behind us and this is the bit that it was all for.

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.

Cheers all

05/03/2013 at 09:29

I think I saw something on their facebook page confirming that their main sponsor is the electricity provider for Rome and they had organised for substantial additional flood lighting to be erected in darker areas of the route should the 4pm start go ahead. It's the lack of ability to get a meal afterwards that's my main down point for the 4pm start - I have to get the plane home the following day at 7.40am and was looking forward to being finished and showered and ready to head back out late afternoon for a few celebratory beers and meal and a chilled evening to celebrate and recouperate before the early morning start. If it's the late start, I won't be finished until about 8.30pm so by time we get back and showered etc, it'll pretty much be straight to bed.

Wait and see I guess - what will be will be. I think in some ways it will look pretty amazing finishing at night time with the Coliseum and landmarks all lit up for the evening. Different to what I'd imagined but I still think it'll be pretty magical. I've been training for this (and living it and obsessing over it!) since mid-November so I'm determined to go with the flow and try to enjoy it as best I can in difficult circumstances.

05/03/2013 at 09:33

PS - the enthronement doesn't have to be on a Sunday - it is just that normally that day is chosen. There is no set requirement for it to happen on a Sunday and can occur any day of the week - Sundays are generally chosen as it is the sabbath and gives world leaders time to get to Rome.

05/03/2013 at 09:44

Time cut off is 7 hours, so potentially you will have people finishing at 11pm!!!!!!

Dominic, what are sky runs in the alps?

05/03/2013 at 10:04

Kirsty - don't worry most Italians don't go to restaurants until around 8.30 so you'll have no problem getting some grub until around 11. Otherwise...there's always McDonalds

05/03/2013 at 10:36

I must admit getting some grub has not been the top of my list when running a marathon!!!! getting to the start line and getting round in one piece have been my worries........ Never thought past that (except getting home)

I am quite envious as running it during the evening all lit up could be a different experience. Arghhhh, makes it more annoying for me.

05/03/2013 at 10:47

You lot make me laugh 

• Wheres the figures to show 60% of the field can't start at 4pm?
  • Temperature differnces at the end of the race, you won't notice if you're "running".
  • Food after the marathon? Big hardship, get a bottle of wine, if you want, and a loaf of bread the day before, and eat that.
  • Can't run because i've trained at a different time? wtf?!

Seriously, you lot sound like spoilt kids, how did you manage to get through training? It's just a marathon, but a marathon in Rome, on the day the Pope is enthroned, yes running at night in Rome will be magical, everything lit up, it'll be like those days when you run 20 miles in the snow grinning like a kid! Jesus, whats it take to make some people happy? 

05/03/2013 at 11:11

I have to agree Lardy, Id be happy just to be able to run it and trying all sorts of things to make it possible to come back on the Monday. (although a pain having to buy another plane ticket)

Not sure i remember those days running 20 miles grinning like a kid though........

05/03/2013 at 11:15

Ha! What can I say - I visualise an ice-cold celebratory pint of lager to help get me through tough or low points in a race (don't judge me, I can quit the booze any time I like... honest.....)

I am a catholic myself and am running for a catholic childrens charity and hopefully have made it pretty clear from previous posts that I think the marathon organisers have done a fantastic job in ensuring that the race can still go ahead and being so prompt with their alternative plans. I agree - I think it will be amazing to get to the Coliseum when it's all lit up for the evening etc, however I also think that thinking ahead to how easy it will be to get some post-race nourishment at 11pm when I'm done and showered is also worth considering (and yes, my plan had been to get something to leave in the hotel room). What can I say - I'm only a size eight but I eat like a horse after a run....

ADG
05/03/2013 at 11:30

I'm more bothered about avoiding all the arseholes who won't go to bed when they cough and sneeze, everywhere I go I'm seeing sick people who should be in their beds, not infecting me with diseases two weeks before a marathon ffs wonder if I can sue...I need to get a 20+ miler in on Saturday!

ADG
05/03/2013 at 11:39

I think marathons do make you worry and panic about things more than normal as well, its all part of the uncertainty. So moving the start time does not help with that. (nor with peoples travel arrangments  )

05/03/2013 at 11:42

Blimey ADG - that's a long run so close to the date? I'm only planning on doing 8-10 this weekend...

05/03/2013 at 11:46

Paul - I agree, you spend months preparing a race and then a slight change can make you worry.

BUT if you think that the late start will affect you, then it probably will. If however, you think of the glass as being half-full (rather than half-empty) then a different time will not a make an ounce of difference. We can have a lie-in and leisurely get ready and enjoy

05/03/2013 at 11:48

I'll do a 15-16 miles on saturday (bit more than supposed to but also training for brighton marathon) - i think 8-10 would be a good distance normally.

ADG
05/03/2013 at 11:53

longest I've done since Berlin has been 16.5 mile, but I've done a few of them, last two months have been 130 miles each, so for peace of mind I want to get a 20+ in. Won't be doing anything next week leading to the race except maybe a couple of 3 or 4 milers and loads of walking. Leaving Scotland Sunday to travel across England, France then hitting Italy on Wednesday, Rome Friday.

ADG
05/03/2013 at 12:04

I think you will do more harm than good physically to do a 20+ miler, however might be good for you physcologically.

You will be fine with 130 miles the last 2 months. (providing you are not aiming sub 3 hours)

Oh and berlin last year was awesome.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.