Rome Marathon 2013

A board for all those considering running the Rome Marathon in 2013

81 to 100 of 528 messages
10/11/2012 at 10:14

I sent my medical note nearly 4 weeks, heard nothing

ADG
10/11/2012 at 15:10

I got an email confirming entry but still no bib number or confirmation letter in the private area on their web site.

ADG
10/11/2012 at 15:38
I got an email confirming entry too but nothing more. Ran a race this morning and have a new 10k PB of 51 minutes. Glad the speed work is paying off as I ran 10k in 56 minutes 3 weeks ago!
10/11/2012 at 23:22

I know everyones said on previous years that the entry systems a bit naff, but it's still frustrating waiting. Especially if your medical certificate is of the homebase/focus/wickes variety...

Well done Ami-s, you're 10k's about the same as mine 4 weeks ago, what time are aiming for, for Rome?

11/11/2012 at 03:57
Hi Lardarse, it's my first marathon and I've been told to just enjoy it and not focus on a time. I guess somewhere between 4-5 hours is realistic but I'd be stoked to do it under 4! We'll see. What time are you hoping for?
11/11/2012 at 08:35

Hiya, this'll be my 15th so I know a little about how my body responds  3 months ago I wasn't training, so I was struggling to knock out 11:30 a mile over distance, i'm doing the Luton marathon in one week today, and i'm going for 4 hrs since training has gone really well and i've lost 24lbs (not such a lard arse now!). If I get somewhere around my target and don't crash and burn, i'll probably set my sights at around 3:40 as my pb is 3:41, it would be a nice birthday present as i'm 40, 6 days after Rome.

Your time will probably depend on how many long runs you do, and how many you've done before, you're 10k time would get you sub 4 easilly, but only if you train well enough for the marathon.

11/11/2012 at 10:04
Thanks Lardarse, that seems to be the consistent message. One of the club coaches has suggested that spring marathon runners should be getting the mileage into their legs pre January.
ADG
11/11/2012 at 15:58
I'll be looking at end of January first half of Feb being the high miles, just hope it doesn't snow or get cold
ADG
12/11/2012 at 10:59

Yes high miles during the training program, but a general level of high mileage runs is what you want all year, this is why you're better off running your first marathon after say 2 years of training so you've already got lots of long runs in. I've been looking at it more as a 7 month training plan with a mid point testing marathon, so my long runs started weeks ago.

ADG
12/11/2012 at 19:05

I think it's something like reach 20ish miles a week before starting a training plan for a marathon, so looking at a 16 week training plan you're looking at 6 months from scratch, and you'll be fine, all being well of course and everyone's different...and you won't get much faster than the firstmarathon, unless you change your lifestyle drastically and then train like a demon. Most of the training plans I've seen are far too much for a mere mortal who has to work and do real life stuff so should only be used a a very loose guide.

ADG
14/11/2012 at 19:44

Where are people staying?

I've booked in at this place -http://www.vaticantown.com/eng/index.html

I can highly recommend this place - http://www.bbapeaceofrome.it/bb/en

I'm flying out on Friday 15th and back on Weds. 20th.

Waiting until the new year for flights. Hoping BA or Alitalia might have a sale.

14/11/2012 at 19:56

I have just seen that Ireland are playing Italy in the 6 Nations Rugby on Saturday 16th March. This will probably make a difference with the accomodation.

Might be worth booking sooner rather than later if you haven't already.

18/11/2012 at 18:47
24/11/2012 at 18:49

Is anybody out there........

Starting tp get a bit lonely on here.

Just thought I'd let people know that my bib no. is in the personal area.

16 weeks to go.

24/11/2012 at 22:20

Hi all, just join RW. Im so excited to the Rome marathon. it il be my first mara-very nervous/excited. im thinking under 4hrs?..  ive only and a confrimation email/ but no 'bib number/confirmation letter', anyone know when these might me comming out?

25/11/2012 at 01:21

Nothing in my personal area, not a sausage! Getting rather annoyed about it to be honest, shambolic.

ADG
25/11/2012 at 13:06

mine's there now too...now to think about accomodation and transport, thinking about train across France.

ADG
25/11/2012 at 14:31
Booked flights with BA flying out on Friday, coming back Tuesday. Nice long weekend! Even got the folks joining us!

16 week training block starts tomorrow, although had a good couple of weeks solid running already - nice steady 11mi this morning.
ADG
25/11/2012 at 16:45

I've had a week off, did 3 mile on friday and taking another week off, no reason I just want to be rested up before getting into full on training.

ADG
25/11/2012 at 17:43

I chose an 18 week schedule (mainly to allow for the potential of missing a week through injury or illness without unduly affecting the long runs) so am officially two weeks into the training now. Did a 9 mile run yesterday in the gale-force wind and rain, Drenched by time I got home and nearly got blown sideways into the sea at Sandbanks - maybe running along the sea front in that weather wasn't the best option!

81 to 100 of 528 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.