Rome Marathon 2013

A board for all those considering running the Rome Marathon in 2013

121 to 140 of 528 messages
11/12/2012 at 06:30

Thanks LS I see I must be with the slow gang from 4:00 onwards which is probably about right

ADG
11/12/2012 at 12:48

did someone post 12 weeks to go??? I'm just on about 20 miles a week, I did take a few weeks off here and there because I was doing too much and the weather is cold and icey, pretty sure you don't want to slip and fall when running! need to start getting lsr's in pretty soon though.

ADG
11/12/2012 at 14:01

12 weeks is a long time, I have three marathons and a 40 mile ultra before then, so I might give the LSR a miss

11/12/2012 at 22:43

Christ EKGO, that's why you're in the 4hrs plus I guess! I'm only just under, 3.55 at the moment, hoping I can get near or beat my pb of 3.41, so everythings going into this one race.

ADG, yes 13 weeks and counting down fast! 20 miles a week doesn't sound much at this stage... I did the Luton marathon 3 weeks ago sunday just gone, and started training for Rome 3 days after, i've done two full weeks of my schedule now, but I was already marathon fit (second best time too) from 3 months previous training. Get running!

ADG
12/12/2012 at 12:30

two hours on the treadmill yesterday, I'm not far off being race fit, just need to slip in a few long runs. My last one was Berlin, then a 10k a week later and a half a couple of weeks after that, took a week off a couple of weeks ago so all is well. Once the new year is here it'll be all go. Still no transport or accomodation either.

ADG
12/12/2012 at 14:45

To be honest Lardarse it started out as 12 in 12 but it takes it's toll, my 5k time for instance has added 5 minutes. I need a break next year, maybe have three months off marathons to get a decent time in maybe for Chester next October

12/12/2012 at 21:02

ADG I booked my flight with Easyjet, don't know where you live but that was the cheapest from a "close" airport to me, Gatwick, my nearest is Stanstead. £80.43 return, wasn't the cheapest flights either as I got an early going, and late back so as not to lose two whole days travelling.

It will take it's toll EKGO I remember training for the 50 mile challenge in Kent and I was doing between 23 and 31 miles on a sunday for about 8 weeks, with a couple of step back weeks, you can't help but slow down. If you're not going for a time, but rather the challenge of multiple marathons it doesn't matter does it? I'm on 14 marathons now, and at least half of them I did just for fun, 3 or 4 with no specific training other than i'd ran another a few weeks before.

13/12/2012 at 08:53

We'll be sharing the City with a few thousand Irish rugby fans as well I see (Italy vs Ireland five nations) I have my weekend organised already but I guess everyone had better book early

ADG
13/12/2012 at 11:52

planning on train and stopping off at a couple of cities on the way there and back

ADG
14/12/2012 at 07:56

That sounds cool! But i'd never been to Rome before and don't know when or if i'll ever go again! So i've booked 11 days there to make a holiday of it.

15/12/2012 at 15:52

I've been before and it's an amazing place, I have been to many places and it is still the best for me. My advice is get a hotel withing 5 minutes of Trevi and you won't need a cab, bus or anything for time you're there, it isn't cheap to eat and drink, but I suppose you just have to accept that. Some of the suburbs where you find the lower priced hotels are not really that inviting but the centre is fantastic.

15/12/2012 at 17:07

Everythings booked, i'm 1.5 ml south west by foot from the Colosseum, two tube stops. I've never got a taxi in my entire life, I don't think i'll start now. I planned on eating as I do now, from the supermaket, I can't imagine pasta being that expensive in Italy?!

19/12/2012 at 19:14
For those that haven't submitted their EA confirmation yet I have a useful template from UK Athletics which I think you could usefully adjust with your own details to finalise entry. I submitted mine to the website today, will let you know how it goes...happy to email a copy to those that need it.

Happy Christmas to you all!
20/12/2012 at 07:53
Hi Alex, would you email it to me please?! Thank you.

Rome is a beautiful city Lardarse. I first went there in 2006 and loved it so much! The gelato, the pasta! The people are lovely and just the sheer beauty of it.

My training has been consistent although with the icy weather the track has been closed so I've missed a few speed sessions. I managed a sub 2h half marathon in Bedford a couple of weeks ago. Despite winds & a steep hill that just seemed to go on, I came in at 1:57 and was thrilled. I got lucky as there were 2 Bedford Harriers who seemed to be maintaining a steady pace so I just tagged behind them & never let them out of my sight.

I have a 15 mile run on Sunday. First time I would have run that far. Nervously excited. I will be in Dorset then for a family Christmas & will run along the coast.

Merry Christmas everyone!!!!!
22/12/2012 at 08:44

12 mile training run in the rain.....

ADG
28/12/2012 at 16:35

8 mile yesterday, 10 weeks to go on Sunday so time to jump onto a 3 30 plan from rw. I've averaged 15 miles a week over the last 10 weeks, that's off 4 marathons in 2012. No injuries and am raring to go, two lsr's in January and February and I'll be good to go in March.

ADG
28/12/2012 at 17:18

It nearly the New Year  Let hope we all have a good one! Is the Rome Marathon easy to enter. Or is it like London and New York you never get a place 

ADG
29/12/2012 at 11:40

first come first in.

Jumping onto the Hal Higden intermediate 1 training plan at week 8 starting Monday. Anyone else on this?

ADG
29/12/2012 at 12:27

Traveling Runner, no restrictons but it costs more the longer you leave entry.

ADG, i'm on week 7 of the up to 55 miles per week P+D schedule, 18 miler tomorrow, first 20 next sunday. I slightly abreviated the schedule to 16 weeks to allow for an easy week and a half after running the Luton marathon. I used Hals beginner schedule (slightly tweeked for mileage) for luton as I hadn't trained really at all for a couple of years, only doing the odd 5 mile run here and there, getting fatter by the day! I used this time to ease back into marathon distance. My new schedule is quite a leap in effort levels and as such i've missed a couple of targets (tempo times by seconds, that sort of thing) but overall it should still be a big improvement.

Hope everyones getting on well, not long now!!!!!

29/12/2012 at 12:52
Hey guys, I'm limping on my left foot. From what I've read it sounds a little like a metatarsal stress fracture. Meant to be doing 15 miles tomorrow. Seeing a physio on Wednesday and on their cancellation list if anything comes up soon.

I went for a 13 mile run Sunday which included the steepest hill, anyone know Portland in Dorset? Kicking myself now, going down it was worse than going up it although that was an endurance test in itself. I knew I'd overdone it so rested until Thursday then went out for a 5 mile run. Pain started around 4 miles, really gradual but by 4.8 miles was quite strong so I stopped. Can't weight bare now. Hurts just above my toes. Anyone had similar?

It takes a lot to get me down but yesterday after I totally erased everything on my iPhone (music, contacts, calendar, texts etc) and can't get on to iTunes yet, I let the frustration take over and cried!! I'm smiling again as I'll cross that finish line even if I have to crawl over it
121 to 140 of 528 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.