Run for Glory

FLM Reality TV show

1 to 20 of 2,023 messages
27/02/2006 at 13:49
I see this is on the listings for this Thurs 7:00 p.m. on BBC1. I am assuming this is the same one that was going to be called "From start to Finish" mentioned on an earlier thread.

Could be interesting!
27/02/2006 at 13:54
Run for Glory
Thu 2 Mar, 7:00 pm - 7:30 pm 30mins

13 people from around the country volunteer to train for the gruelling 26.2 mile London Marathon in just six months. This is a huge undertaking. Not only are they unfit, many are battling personal traumas from cancer to disabling road accidents. World class athletes Sally Gunnell and Steve Cram are their tough coaches. But will they make it?

The would-be runners soon find that the Marathon is as much a mental as a physical challenge when they are confronted with a gut wrenching high ropes course. As well as getting fit, they know they need to toughen up if they want to have any chance of success.

Sounds like car smash tv to me!
The Evil Pixie    pirate
27/02/2006 at 13:55
I'll still tune in just to see what it is like
and also so I can shout abuse at the TV!!
27/02/2006 at 13:56
Thanks Cas27.
Can't quite see how a high ropes course and FLM are linked, but there we are!
Perhaps all will be revealed on Thurs.
27/02/2006 at 13:57
Any early bets on how many of the 13 will make the start line?
27/02/2006 at 14:01
I meant car smash tv in that you don't really want to look but can't help staring. So, if I'm in I'll probably watch it...but I want to have a look at the candidates before making any bets...I'll let you know my vote on friday!
27/02/2006 at 14:02
I think they will all make it, the thought of running the greatest race in the world is very inspirational, well it was the first time I ran it.
27/02/2006 at 14:06
No way I'd have missed it either Mark - FLM05 my only marathon so far!
And you would hope with Gunnell and Cram training them they might have a better chance than most.
But there is always the possibility of injury or illness.
27/02/2006 at 14:07
As a beginner who hopes one day to run the flm cant wait to watch this! I think it will be very inspiring as the weeks go on and especially when they run the flm.

Also, it may encourage lots of other ppl to take up running - or it could put them off for life! lol
27/02/2006 at 14:34
This year is my 7th London, and the feeling and anticipation is exactly the same, as is the icy cold wind we have to suffer, whilst training in winter, but once the day comes around, its all been worth it.
27/02/2006 at 14:44
I will certainly be watching. Looking forward to reliving the experience from last year.
For those running this year could be very interesting to see how your training etc compares to that organised by Cram and Gunnell!

Artemis - let's hope it doesn't encourage TOO many more to have a go or it could be even harder to get in through the ballot next year! ;o)
27/02/2006 at 14:59
Some info about the series from a recruitment advert last autumn:

"The series will consist of 8 x 30 minute programmes at 7.30 (sic - looks like 7.00 now) on BBC1 with a further 60-minute programme that will look at how our contributors have fared in the event.
Successful applicants will need to be available for specific weekends once a month for a period of the next 6 months. You will live away from home during these weekends with food and accommodation provided. You will also need to be able to travel abroad for a period of about 7-14 days near the beginning of March. The London Marathon takes place on Sunday 23rd April 2006."

So if my Maths is right, 8 shows means every Thurs til FLM with an hour long one afterwards.
27/02/2006 at 15:09
Mr Loverman - Yes, that thought had occured to me. I want a place next year! lol

27/02/2006 at 15:15
I haven't seen any info on how many applied for the ballot this year, but apparently it was nearly 100,000 last year.

Artemis - if you're thinking of running it one day, put in an application next year. It's unlikely you'll get in first time anyway. If you do, then you'll hear early December, giving 4 months training, which should be enough if you've been running regularly before then.
If you don't get in, and are unlucky for a few years then 5 rejections in a row means you definitely get in 6th time. So if you start next year you'll definitely get a place by 2012 at the latest! (That could be a popular one being Olympic year!!!)
27/02/2006 at 15:23
100,000?! wow! Thanks for the tip Mr L, I didnt know that about the 'rejections' systems. Good to know, and at least it will give me some hope if/when I am rejected. Do all marathons have a rejection system? Is it just the 'big' ones?
The Evil Pixie    pirate
27/02/2006 at 15:26
just the big events that get over subscribed really!
I entered and got in 1st time but had to defer due to injury, then got injured again but as you can only defer once I ran
best day of my life even if I was out for almost 7hrs!
27/02/2006 at 15:31
Think it's just the big ones like FLM. If you want to run one sooner, most small marathons are relatively easy to get into. But of course you miss out on the support of hundreds of thousands watching you on the day. Although there are plenty on these threads who prefer the quieter marathons. Can't really comment as the only I've done is FLM last year.

Again, I haven't looked into this myself but I believe it's also relatively easy to get a place in some of the big marathons in European cities. Paris? Rotterdam? Berlin? Copenhagen? Check out those threads on the events section for more details.
27/02/2006 at 16:04
Evil Pixie - So if you have to defer more than once, you will never get offered another place again? Well done on race day though! Im going to do (yes, very much ahead of myself!) a run/walk plan to get round (one day...) It will be very interesting to see on the bbc prog what way Cram and Gunnell train the participants.

Mr L - thats good to know about european mara's. See a new city AND run around it too. I dont know if I would prefer the quieter races or the crowd-cheering races yet. How did you find it when you when you did flm? Did the cheers help or did you have enough of hearing 'keep going' by mile 6?
The Evil Pixie    pirate
27/02/2006 at 16:07
no what happens is
you get a place
if you defer then next year you still have a place but still need to pay again.
you can enter again but you can't carry over the place again
that's why I did it ... I knew i had a place and I also knew you can only defer once so if i didn't do it it would be back to the ballot!
27/02/2006 at 16:09
Believe me, you can never hear enough shouts of, "keep going" especially if you have your name on your running vest, those shouts are invaluable after mile 22.
1 to 20 of 2,023 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.