Runner collapsed at mile 26

Does anyone have any news?

21 to 40 of 61 messages
23/04/2012 at 14:34
And going up by the second Nam.  It's a testament to the goodness in our community.  The comments are heart breaking but will hopefully be a strength to the family in their time of need.
23/04/2012 at 14:49

Thanks for the kind comments.  I am overwhelmed by the donations she is receiving on her page.  She was a very popular girl.  I've donated.  I will have a look at the comments.  I'm hopefully going to see her sister in a couple of days.  I'm sure she'll take some comfort in the kindess everyone is showing.

I know what you mean about the people that helped Claire after she'd collapsed.  I've been thinking of them too, and everyone else that helped/witnessed what had happened.  So sad for everyone involved.

23/04/2012 at 15:43
Still the money is going up, I donated, couldnt help but do so tbh.
Nam
23/04/2012 at 15:52

Wow... it's gone up to £39k in the last hour!  One heart warming thing in this whole tragedy.

Poor girl, I daren't think what she must have felt like to be so close to the finish and all of a sudden feeling like you're really in trouble. 

23/04/2012 at 18:45
Just over £100,000 now.  It's amazing.
23/04/2012 at 19:33
Just got goosebumps looking at the page. £121,000.

(Make that £125k).
Edited: 23/04/2012 at 19:45
23/04/2012 at 19:39
It really is completely humbling x
23/04/2012 at 19:58
The comment which tore at my heart was one from two friends saying they were heading over to the finish to see her. It's hard to imagine how they must have felt when they arrived. Tragic.
23/04/2012 at 22:14

I saw the paramedics trying to revive her as I ran past - can't get the picture out of my head now...

24/04/2012 at 11:50
I posted her justgiving page on my fb page last night and couldnt believe how quick it was going up, must be some small comfort that the family have to take heart from as it was only on £500 when she started the race

so tragic to happen so near the end too, its not like she wasnt fit or anything, as she had climbed kilmanjaroo ( sorry spelling ) before and she had apparently run the london marathon before

it just goes to show we need to be careful and not get complacent with our health and fitness, we are very lucky those of us who did it yesterday, even tho our legs are telling us about it today :-/
Nam
24/04/2012 at 12:21

Listened to Radio 4 this morning.  They said that she chose Samaritans because her mum had been a volunteer for over 20 years.  Samaritans were interviewed and they will ring-fence the donations and discuss with the victim's parents any particular Samaritan's initiatives that they might like to see the money go to and dedicate the projects to Claire, which seems a really nice gesture.

Over £343k now. 

The Mount Kilimanjaro trip was in aid of the Royal Air Force charity I think.

24/04/2012 at 12:25
Our pray's go out to all her friends and family......
24/04/2012 at 12:44

The Telegraph have reported that she ran in memory of her brother who died from an overdose at the age of 25............. Doesn't bare thinking about what her family are going through right now. 

24/04/2012 at 14:03
Nickyk33 wrote (see)

I saw the paramedics trying to revive her as I ran past - can't get the picture out of my head now...

same here, they were just putting the curtains up as i went past - really sad
24/04/2012 at 14:09
My thoughts are with all those who saw Claire on Sunday. x x
24/04/2012 at 14:13
I donated too yesterday, such a sad story but heart warming responce, does anyone know if she will get a finishes medal, I think it would be a touching gesture.
24/04/2012 at 17:50
Mark I hope that VLM see what has happened and actually award not a finishing medal but some other medal for raising the most amount of money from running the london marathon, seems much more fitting

i really hope that her family can take comfort in this

a double tragedy ( apparently the brother who took his life did so because he was involved in a serious car crash that his girlfriend was killed in ) their family seems to have had so much heartache

Nam yes i read that the Mt K trip was for the royal airforce charity
24/04/2012 at 19:09
Just thought I would nudge this to the top. A worthy cause to donate to and there but for the grace of good it could so easily have been any one of us.
24/04/2012 at 19:55
HannahsmomUK wrote (see)
Mark I hope that VLM see what has happened and actually award not a finishing medal but some other medal for raising the most amount of money from running the london marathon,

or maybe make one of her favoured charities their charity of the year next year in her memory.

24/04/2012 at 23:05

I'm slightly in awe of the British public at this point in time - £570k. That is an amazing amount of money. Justgiving have confirmed they will be donating their fees too.

Warms the cockles and restores your faith even when it has been wearing incredibly thin x

21 to 40 of 61 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.