runner dies at brighton marathon

1 to 20 of 39 messages
14/04/2013 at 19:20

Tragic- londoner in his 20's collapsed at 16 miles mark today, and dies later in hospital. Thoughts to all his family and friends.

14/04/2013 at 20:00
This is really sad. My thoughts are with his friends and family
14/04/2013 at 20:31

Very sad indeed. Not sure we should be jumping to conclusions like that David. Though it's rare, fit young people do collapse during intense exercise and not always because they've topped up with anything off the menu. Thoughts with his family and friends.

14/04/2013 at 21:08

Upsetting news indeed.

GTC
14/04/2013 at 21:10

It is a shame.

GTC
14/04/2013 at 21:10
Very upsetting.

And don't we all put added extras into our drinks? What Claire squires took was legal and on sale in the uk. Although the particular ingredient that caused her death is now banned, and was banned at the time in the US.

All very sad.
14/04/2013 at 21:19

He was the age of my eldest son, I keep thinking of how his parents must be feeling tonight.

14/04/2013 at 21:40
God be with him, rest in peace young man
14/04/2013 at 23:09
So so sad. Thoughts with the boys family
14/04/2013 at 23:46

It sounds as if he had undiagnosed heart condition. Really so sad. I feel for his family, and friends. An utter shock

15/04/2013 at 06:26
Very sad news that makes us all realise what a marathon entails . It is not to be taken lightly. Thanks must be said to all those who tried to save his life.
15/04/2013 at 09:20
Penelope Fox wrote (see)
Very sad news that makes us all realise what a marathon entails . It is not to be taken lightly. Thanks must be said to all those who tried to save his life.

Were there people nearby who knew what to do? I know I keep banging on about this, but even having basic first aid knowledge could make -A LOT- of difference in a situation like this.

Do you know what to do?

15/04/2013 at 09:36

@SideBurn - medics and an off duty plod attended.  Survival rates of SCA are not good - more often than not about 2%.

cougie    pirate
15/04/2013 at 09:43
SB I'm first aid trained and they tell you survival rates are low. They always come back in tv and films. Not so in the real world.
15/04/2013 at 09:44

there must be rapid response at such events? and the Marshall can contact them to respond? i haven't attended a large running event yet, only small ones, but in cycling events there is always rapid response available

i am okay with BLS/ILS due to my job, i do think basic skills should be taught in school, airway maintenance and chest compressions etc, despite knowledge it has be shown in research that bystander intervention is minimal as people worry they will do more harm than good and are understandably frightened in such situations, without a defib available its unlikely that a person will recover from a cardiac event outside of a hospital

15/04/2013 at 09:46

when i say bystander i mean non trained persons , at events i'd like to think that first aiders are ready to respond and in very day situations, i'd like to think that trained first aiders/medical staff etc would stop and help

15/04/2013 at 09:52

first aid and medical support at Brighton Marathon is excellent - I was running it yesterday and saw a number of collapsed runners in the latter stages (most due to exhaustion or dehydration probably) and they were attended to very quickly by the paramedics and marshalls.  and on 3 occasions I saw ambulances were brought onto the course.

sad that these things happen, but unfortunately they do

PS-  I won't bang on about runners in headphones not hearing ambulances coming from behind as I witnessed clearly in one case - until the ambulance fired up his siren which made her wake up with a startle....

15/04/2013 at 09:55

It says on the news that the guy died after surgery. That says to me that everything that could be done for him was done.

15/04/2013 at 09:58

"Medics and an off duty plod" suggests to me that immediate, within the first 60 seconds after arrest, attention was not given. About 4 minutes after arrest it is generally too late to start an effective resuscitation.

Whilst survival rates are not good, many people have a cardiac arrest because they are old and/or otherwise unhealthy... If this chap was otherwise healthy his chances would have been more than 2%.

I am not saying that someone very close by having first aid skills would have been some sort of magic solution to this tragic event. But having some knowledge can make a difference.

15/04/2013 at 10:17

Let's face it, none of us has any way of knowing whether the first person to attend to him was or wasn't someone who had trained to do CPR. But it could be that the person responded precisely because they had been.

And whether he was subsequently attended by St John's Ambulance an off duty policeman or paramedics, all of those are trained to perform CPR. 

1 to 20 of 39 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.