***Runners: your support team is announced

Please read page 1 and boing

861 to 880 of 989 messages
14/04/2005 at 09:33
I seem to have missed out on lots of encouraging banter going on here! I'm running for Alzheimers Research Trust and hope to finish in less than 5hours!
Can i ask what are all the teams?
14/04/2005 at 09:44
Caroline - look at the link to Meerkat's site via RW marathon page, and some of it will start to make sense.. Good luck!!
14/04/2005 at 09:44
there are ten teams who are supporting a number of runners who have asked for encouragement. The supporters are gathered at an official runners world point at mile 17. We have been allocated about 25 runners each to encourage , provide drinks or sweets or just a shout to help those the next 9 miles go a bit easier. if you want a more personal support, email me and send me your number, description and team 1 will look out for you.
14/04/2005 at 09:51
Count me in! I just emailed....

Didnt say I expect to have blonde frizzy hair, a white face and orange lips from lucozade at mile 17!
14/04/2005 at 10:01
Caroline, do you also do the sub 5 hour thread? There are loads of us!
14/04/2005 at 11:00
I could use some support! This is my first marathon and unfortunately I will have no one coming to cheer me on. I put my name on my running vest so hopefully people pronounce my name right as I spell it differently!
14/04/2005 at 11:03
if your name is on your vest, you will get cheers and encouragement especially at mile 17!
14/04/2005 at 11:22
I'm going to have a search on sub 5 hours - Hey Jaime, join the club - me too. I went to collect my number yesterday with a collegue from work and he has got his family coming down from Grimsby and they are all going in a pub after the run and his girlfriend has arranged a party for afterwards. Started making me feel rather lonely. but today i discovered this forum and am feeling happy again.
14/04/2005 at 11:25
Can't find the sub 5 hour thread - help
14/04/2005 at 11:58
My first (and last) marathon. I have spent most of the last 2 years injured (ankle ligaments succeeded by a broken toe) and have clocked up 78 physio visits since Jan '03! Running the London marathon with my two American colleagues is my dream. I am running for Samaritans in memory of a friend who died. Any support gratefully received! Good luck to other runners.
14/04/2005 at 13:01
I will need some support at mile 17, can I join too?! This is my first marathon and I haven't been able to run for 5 weeks and previous to my injury had only got up to 14 miles. I'm hoping to do it in 5.5hrs..running/walking. Is anyone else here joining the 'GET YOU ROUND' RW pace group and if so do I need to register for it? Thanks Danni
14/04/2005 at 13:10
I'll be supporting a couple of runners this Sunday, will pop over to the RW support area and say hi... You can allocate me to any runuer/group as needs arise!!
14/04/2005 at 13:14
Danni, it's my first too and like you I only managed 14 miles as my longest due to injury. I'm anticipating a time similar to yours but am going for the "run 11 mins, walk 1" strategy from the off to try and conserve energy. thought I might follow the 11 minute milers to begin with and then see how I feel in terms of either going up to 10 min miles or just doing a "get your round" strategy.

What's your number and what start/pen are you in? I'm 40712, red start, pen 9. If you're there, we can look out for each other and try to go round together for some/all of the time maybe?

Us marathon virgins have to stick together!

Any support from RW forumites at mile 17 or anywhere else will be much, much appreciated. Thank you all.
14/04/2005 at 13:25
Ok that sounds a good strategy. I was going to run 5 walk 1 with the RW pace group but if we can run together that would be even better. I'm number 49783 and I'm red start but not sure what pen yet. I did say (prior to injury) that I was aiming for 4.5hrs..can I just swap pens I wonder to your one....? I'll look out for you. I'm trying to sign up for the RW support, you should do the same...I'll give you details in a sec...Danni
14/04/2005 at 13:26
team 1 will shout for you guys!!! if you can get your name on your vest, you will find much more personal support all the way round, people love to encourage but its hard to know what to shout sometimes, if you can identify someone it makes it so much easier to really put your heart into it!
14/04/2005 at 13:28
is anyone in the Green start...anyone???
think i overestimated my time and now feel like im mieesing out on the great RW pasemaker groups etc..want the 'get round stratergy' but how will i find anyone..am hoping under 6 hrs..
14/04/2005 at 13:35
Caramac, my name is on my vest (Alison), shouts very gratefully received.

Danni, when you get your number at the Expo, it has your pen number on a round sticker at the foot. You can change pens if you go to the help desk at the Expo but they are happier if you change down to a slower pen than up. Pen 9 is for runners who estimated a finish time of 4.45 and longer. You might be a pen further up if you estimated 4.30. I think there is a meeting point for all forum runners so will find out and post it on here as it might be easier if we met up there than tried to find each other in the large pens!

It will be good to give each other encouragement and moral support!! Look forward to seeing you Sunday.
14/04/2005 at 13:38
Nicola, the RW pacers will be holding placards with details of their pacing clearly displayed. Just make sure you go to the back of the pen if you are predicting a slower time as otherwise you might start too quickly with the faster runners at the front of the pen.

You are welcome to meet with Danni and me if you want to try our run/walk strategy, target time 5 and a half?
14/04/2005 at 13:43
Danni, Red start forumites are meeting at the Bandstand in Greenwich Park from 8 am onwards. See you there! Where are you travelling from?
14/04/2005 at 13:48
Nicola Wood

I'm at the green start - what does this mean? I am supposed to be faster if so I'm done for. I can't even remember what time I put on my application form as I hadn't started thinking about training by then. Are there no pace groups in the pens at the Green Start. Can feel my panic levels rising again - arghhhhhhh!
861 to 880 of 989 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.