RUNNING A MARATHON 1 MONTH TRAINING

Want to run the Copenhagen marathon (19th may) with 26 useful days of training)

321 to 340 of 502 messages
seren nos    pirate
16/04/2013 at 19:02

another one for jelly beans

well done on starting slower to warm up

16/04/2013 at 19:19

Might just be that your laces were too tight? That would be easily corrected.

16/04/2013 at 19:20

^it's only ever a problem when running "fast" (well relatively fast to me), never pain on longer runs. not pain as such more a dull ache/discomfort.

jelly beans it is

how many grams should I take (I'm 78 kilo's)  per hour.

seren nos    pirate
16/04/2013 at 19:24

no majic number alex..we are all different and its a bit late to look at the suppossed science.....many run marathons on just a few sips of water.

depends on weather and what you are used to on long runs.....

on your longer runs try a few sweets and a few sips and see how you feel..

Edited: 16/04/2013 at 19:25
17/04/2013 at 08:12

As Mikasa says, try loosening your laces and see what happens. 

18/04/2013 at 21:08

^9k 50 minutes (measured on google earth) today. Took day off yesterday (was meant to do 10 minutes slow jog but couldn't be bothered).

No pain in shoes/feet, it's really just when running fast. could probably keep up that pace for a half marathon. No way much further though. 

18/04/2013 at 21:37

Well that's 9 minute mile pace, so now you know what that feels like keep to it!

A 10 minute jog won't have made much difference either way so don't worry about that, resting was probably more beneficial.

18/04/2013 at 23:38

To be honest I think I was going faster, it's really hard to measure in sweden. 

My solid reasoning for this is that I ran 20 minutes there, 20 back. Then did a 10 minute loop from the starting point to the univeristy. The 10 minute loop has to be a least 2.4k (1.2k is the shortest route on google maps going directly, and I took a roundabout way there...) I thought (could be psychological, could have ended quicker) I went roughly the same pace for the whole route. This would mean I did at least 5*2.4k = 12k. 

But then I think there's absoloutely no way I was running 6.7 minute miling for that amount of time. 

My own personal conclusion is that I have NO CLUE how fast/far I'm actually running. 

The 9k/50 minutes was extrapolated from the first 20 minutes, where I was running in a relatively straight line, but I didn't know exactly where I turned around....it's not easy to work out here.

18/04/2013 at 23:47
19/04/2013 at 00:15

I quit with working out this run.....On that site it's giving me 10 minute miling which I know I'm not doing. Will borrow a gps next time I go for a longish run.

(10*13= 130 minute half marathon). I did 2 hours with lots of periods of walking/barely running....

19/04/2013 at 08:18

Alex, I am no good at maths so I use this calculator:

http://www.bane.info/

That's how I worked out that your mile pace was 9 minutes (or, to be precise 8.56) from the info you gave me. But it's uslesss info if you really don't have a clue how far you ran. 

You really need to get a grip on your distances and mile times if you are going to be able to pace yourself. Use a GPS if it makes it easier but you don't really need to. The tools are already at you disposal.

I have a GPS that lives in a drawer somewhere - I never use it.  

19/04/2013 at 08:48

I walked to the start of my training session this morning.  I wouldn't swear to it but it felt like 3mph pace, not enough to get a sweat up but certainly i could feel my heart going boom boom boom.

Then in the gym i stretched my frame out so that my stride would be longer, only by mere millimetre but when you add them all together over the course of a marathon it knocks spots off your time.

Once on the treadmill i did the first mile in 8:15. I know this for a fact as my treadmill is like a garmin only it speaks to me whenever there is a change in  speed or stride length. The next three miles i did in 23 :45 which made it sub 8 minute miling. I was happy with that but doris( that's my pet name for my tready) told me i should be going faster.

Turn the bass up !   I said, turn  the  bass up !  Big  dirty stinking bass !! Dirty stinking bass...

Music pumping through the gyms sound system i increased the pace to match the bass,  i really flew for the next 5 miles averaging a speed of 7:15 per mile. Some people go to the gym to work out. To tell you the truth I go just to have a dance and a strech. I just make it look Like i'm dancing.

Tomorrow, as part of my cross training for my next marathon, i'm going to put on my wifes  knickers and bra under my sports gear and do the same again to One direction..

19/04/2013 at 09:00

Thank you for that Waccy 

Honestly though, Alex isn't David. David's injured and isn't running at the moment.

But if you're still not sure, Alex has actually entered Copenhagen now. If he really is David his name will be on the results won't they?

Edited: 19/04/2013 at 09:01
19/04/2013 at 12:27

Alex isn't David, but David could be Alex! 

19/04/2013 at 12:29

You will never know .........

19/04/2013 at 12:30

By the way Screampillar, I ran 30 minutes a couple of days ago, so Im back in the game!!!

19/04/2013 at 12:32

Ha ha.  Nah, I reckon you're definitely different people David.  I don't think you'd be clever enough to remember to switch accounts each time you posted

19/04/2013 at 12:33
Big_G wrote (see)

Ha ha.  Nah, I reckon you're definitely different people David.  I don't think you'd be clever enough to remember to switch accounts each time you posted

Not necessarily, fire up two browsers, log onto a different account, hey presto youve got two accounts you can switch between instantly.

19/04/2013 at 12:45

I have confidence that you'd still get even a simple thing like that wrong though David.

19/04/2013 at 18:54

stop being so bloody silly you guys as i've told you all before what is going on here.

the guy is a complete nut-case and you only have to look at all the threads he has created to see what a total tosser he is.   

All  he wants is for all of us to post so he can carry on playing..

anyway i went to Cowley centre but ended up with tracksuit bottoms instead of jeans

but never mind, i also got some wild flowers for my allotment and a gooseberry bush, also for my patch.

This guy is a muppet .

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.