RW Forum 6 - Just Finish!

Sparkly bridget v Len2

181 to 200 of 1,200 messages
04/02/2012 at 08:58
The kids are all aged 7 or 8, and (oh the irony) the party is at the Ski Village, they're tobogganning!! Possibly in real snow lol.

I wonder if the track is open if it snows? Or whether I will need to break out my trail shoes for running in the snow?? Eeek. Have we all got snow forecast then?
04/02/2012 at 10:34

Hi Guys,

New to the forum. Was just having a good read around here and thought this was the best category for me to fit into lol.

Just wanted to know how you guys are getting on with training? I think i'm on track but reading some other forums makes me feel i'm really off the pace.

Got up to 7 mile long run just before xmas,then had around 3 weeks off due to lack of motivation and family commitments. 

We are now back in training 4 weeks in and following a runners world training plan to the letter. However i'm worried because the "long run" set for tomorrow is only 60 minutes.  Should I be further along than that at this point?

Thanks for listening,hope all your training sessions are goin well......jeez its cold out there!

Lee

04/02/2012 at 11:24
Lee - if the plan you are following has 60 minutes for this week then I'd guess that is right. What did you have last week and what is due next week?

You'll find all sorts of variations in how people train and the plans that they follow. Lots of us go into our first marathon just wanting to get round but the times that represents vary hugely.
04/02/2012 at 13:16

Hey thanks for the reply.

Week before was 45 minutes. This week 60 minutes. Next Week 60 Minutes. Then its 75 minutes. Then 90 Mins. Then 105 Mins. Then a 2 hour. Thats the next few weeks long run anyway.

Thanks again

04/02/2012 at 13:27

That sounds a reasonable progression and obviously the distance covered depends on how fast you are!  Don't forget that long slow run means just that

Easy to try to compare yourself to other people which is why I tend not to post the distances I am doing on this thread as I have at this marathon lark for a few years now

04/02/2012 at 13:31

I know yeh don't mind people knowing the distance but I'm just worried were not covering enough distance.  Were averaging 12 minute miles at our slow pace, can up it for a while but not long enough yet.

The longest run on this program is 3 hours, so im scared the most were going to run pre-marathon is 15 miles? and im unsure if that enough?

04/02/2012 at 14:55
Lee, according to my schedule, the most I will run will be 18 miles, and that's meant to be enough! I hope its enough!!
04/02/2012 at 16:01
I'm using shades schedule and after my 16 miler today, I feel that it's certainly "Just finish" for me at the moment!
04/02/2012 at 17:04
ummmm.... SNOW!
04/02/2012 at 18:12
Yeah, here too. Slippy as hell too!
Edited: 04/02/2012 at 18:15
04/02/2012 at 18:36

Just back from taking the MiL round Sainsburys.  We escaped quickly because it had started to snow

Lee - the reason for me not posting distances is that I'm here to mentor and support not scare you all

Edited: 04/02/2012 at 18:38
04/02/2012 at 19:02
Ha ha ha yeah don't tell me Bridget I had a quick read of your other thread on here, and backed out quickly with my fingers on my ears LA LA LA LA LAAAAA!

You take your MIL shopping? That's proper dedication, that is. You get a medal for that in my book!

x
04/02/2012 at 19:15
I made the mistake of marrying an only child.  She is 90 now and still living in the flat they retired into (FiL died almost 21 years ago).  She did have a phase of looking to transfer into sheltered housing but  were all 'too poky' (as designed for one person).  Seems to have now decided to stay there till she qualifies for the council to pay for residential home.  We can envisage it all ending up as a big mess but she avoids discussing it.  So we go up every 3 weeks and try to make sure she does her heavier shopping although all the evidence is that she manages quite well in between.  We suspect there are other people doing stuff that she choses not to tell us about!
05/02/2012 at 09:47
Hmm, supposed to be popping out for an easy 5 miler today but there's icy snow on the ground so I can't say I fancy it- it's really slippy. Might wait to see if it clears a bit later, or even head to the pool instead. It's a shame as I could really fancy a run, but I'm terrified of going flying a injuring myself. Should have gone yesterday... Has everyone else got snow?
05/02/2012 at 10:18

Re mileage:  if its any reassurance the most I got up to on Brighton training last year was 18.5 miles. That took me nearly 4 hours.  I got round the 26.2 fine on the day and even picked up my pace a bit on the last few of miles.  It was the 75 degree heat that made me just miss the 5.30 target not the miles in my legs. I got heat stroke at mile 15 but then got running well again at mile 20 after plenty of water.  For Outlaw I'm training to time not distance and my longest run will be 3 hours which won't even take me up to 15 miles. I really do believe that its time on your feet that counts, not miles.  Our body doesn't know about miles, but it does respond to time.  Spend too much time and it breaks down.  Spend the right time and it builds. You'll all be fine and are doing great. 

<gets off soap box>

Its snowing here so I can't go out on my bike.  Bridget will know that running round a track in snow though is possible cos we both did it at Birmingham the other year. I might try my grippy things and have a plod round the block.

05/02/2012 at 15:53

Thanks Soupy.  I was remembering that snowy track when I watched the new lot on video

I dug out my trail shoes today to run in the snow.  Easiest bits where were I could run on the road and use the bits that had been a bit compacted by a couple of cars, worst was the pavements next to main roads where salt had been sprayed by passing cars and the snow was going sludgy.

05/02/2012 at 16:12
hello

Not a good day here, but I'm trying to be positive! I woke up feeling good, actually feeling well, but then had to get out for the kids party, and spent a couple of hours stood about outside watching the toboganning and snow tubing! I think I had 2 and a half cups of tea all morning, which was a mistake. Came home for 1pm and put my new trail shoes on (second mistake, not worn them yet and they were unhelpfully shaped at the back, not comfy, they just need wearing a bit). And tried to run. Blurghhhh. I felt like I was running through treacle. No energy at all, and I managed almost 4 miles, and a LOT of that was walked .

On the positive side, I have been poorly, I hadn't had enough to drink, it was snowy and slippy, and I managed to get out!

Now I'd just like normal weather so I can get back into my groove, please. Think positive, think positive...

05/02/2012 at 17:31
@Len2 - dont' be disheartened - you got out there and tried. That's the most important thing. As you say - you're still recovery from a cold; so it's good just to take it easy.
05/02/2012 at 17:46
Len - you got out there.  That shows determination   Mistakes are the things that we learn from.
05/02/2012 at 18:19
Len - having been lugified the fact that you got out there at all is impressive beyond belief

I too forced myself out today. Almost gave up after the first mile as the footpaths were all churned up snowy. Kept at it and managed 13.5 of my supposed 14. Think the snow effort added at least half a mile's extra effort. Also got soaked a few times with cars slushing me from head to toe. Have awarded myself a gold star for effort - may be following this up with wine!
181 to 200 of 1,200 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.