RW Forum 6 - Just Finish!

Sparkly bridget v Len2

201 to 220 of 1,201 messages
05/02/2012 at 18:19
Len - having been lugified the fact that you got out there at all is impressive beyond belief

I too forced myself out today. Almost gave up after the first mile as the footpaths were all churned up snowy. Kept at it and managed 13.5 of my supposed 14. Think the snow effort added at least half a mile's extra effort. Also got soaked a few times with cars slushing me from head to toe. Have awarded myself a gold star for effort - may be following this up with wine!
05/02/2012 at 19:38
Agree with all the above- you got out there and that's what counts. The next time will feel better in sure.

DL- impressive work in the snow! I waited until 4 to see if it would melt, but there was still so much slush on the ground that I bailed and headed to the gym instead. After gingerly trying to run up my street I could feel myself running oddly in an attempt not to slip and decided risk of pulling something was too high. I'm obviously a bit soft! I was only supposed to do 5 miles today but only managed 4 at the gym- treadmill running is SO boring! Still 4 is better than none, and hopefully all the snow will be gone by Wednesday when I have to do my longest run to date (ever) of 14 miles!

Stay positive Len, don't beat yourself up for what you didn't do, pat yourself on the back for getting out at all!
Edited: 05/02/2012 at 19:39
05/02/2012 at 21:03
Definitely harder work in the snow DL.  I'm expecting to wake up aching.  Got sprayed 3 times but I stayed away from the bigger roads as much as I could
06/02/2012 at 12:45

Afternoon

Thanks all for the words of encouragement. I get sooooo worried and disheartened when I'm not "on schedule". And look at the ice!! . Bah. 

Oh I got snowballed out on my plod yesterday too and I really wished I had great aim. Wouldn't it be fun to manage to scoop up some snow and lob it right back in their face as you were running??

So - I'm hoping for a huge thaw overnight. Failing that I might have to see if they've defrosted the track, and spend Februay there!

06/02/2012 at 13:50
Come to West Wales Len - not a snowflake in sight! Well done for getting out there and logging some miles. It's tough this time of the year what with cold, dark and wet never mind snow and ice.

This will sound a stupid question but I'm going to be brave and ask it: Can anyone recommend a sensible marathon training programme? By sensible I mean something based on miles not time as I'm looking at a 5:30ish finish so anything that says "do 2hrs 30 as your longest run" is likely not to get me to the half-way point!! I run 4 times a week, averaging about 25-28 miles and I'm aiming for Edinburgh (16 weeks yesterday). My longest run to date is 12 miles. I've done one marathon before (VLM 2010, 5:31 finish) and 2 halves (2:18PB in March 2010) but I've not raced much since then due to work commitments. Goal is to finish and improve my time if at all possible. I've downloaded the Shades plan and it looks too scary, I've looked at the RW sub-5 plan and it looks to speedy and I've tried to make up my own plan but I'm never sure if I'm doing enough/too much. All the plans seems so different! Any advice / recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks & Happy Running All
06/02/2012 at 15:06

mitiog - I trained for sub 5.30 last year.  I used the sub 5 plan but subsituted my own running pace.  So my first 4 weeks looked like this: (ignore dates)

WEEK ONE
Mon 2M (miles) (approx 25 mins) slow?
Tue Rest?
Wed 3M (approx 39 mins) slow?
Thu Rest?
Fri Rest?
Sat Rest or 2M (approx 26 mins) easy
Sun 6M (approx 75 mins) run/walk

WEEK TWO
Mon Rest?
Tue 4M (approx 50 mins) slow
Wed Rest?
Thu 1M jog, then 2 x 1.5M (or 15 mins) fast, with 800m (5:30-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog ?
?Fri Rest?
Sat Rest or 3M (approx 39 mins) easy ?
Sun 7M (approx 90 mins) run/walk   2 JAN

WEEK THREEMon Rest?
Tue 1M jog, then 3 x 1M (or 10.5 mins) (HR – 85%) fast, with 400m (3:15-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog?
Wed Rest?
Thu 4M (approx 50 mins) slow?
Fri Rest?
Sat Rest or 3M (approx 39 mins) easy
Sun 8M (approx 100 mins) run/walk     9 JAN

WEEK FOURMon Rest
Tue 5M (approx 64 mins) slow
Wed ?Rest
Thu 1M jog, then 4 x 800m (or 5:15) fast, (90%) with 200m (2 min) walk/jog recoveries, then 1M jog?
Fri Rest?
Sat Rest or 3M (approx 39 mins) easy?
Sun 1M jog, then race 10K or 5M, then 1M jog. Aim for a sub-6:04 10K or sub-52:00 5-miler     16 JAN 

Edited: 06/02/2012 at 15:07
06/02/2012 at 15:10

Oooh Mitiog that's a lovely invite, but a tad too far to go for a run??

My training plan is from the non-runners marathon training book. 4 runs a week (2 short, one medium, one long). The remaining runs, starting this week, are:

3,rest,walk3,26.2

x

06/02/2012 at 17:32
I am also following Len2's plan
06/02/2012 at 17:57

mitiog - which of Shades' plans are you looking at.  I did my first marathon off the Level 1 which was just 3 runs a week and hit my sub 5 target.

Len's plan for this week had her at 11 miles for the long run so we have dropped that to 10 miles and then lost the 11 miler completely. That means she is completely back on plan from next week.   2 miles a week is quite a reasonable progression and this leaves all 5 longer runs at 16/18 miles in place.

I was surprised not to get snowballed yesterday.  Clearly all the chavs were still in bed

06/02/2012 at 19:19
Oooh yes I meant to add that my plan had a bit of tinkering from Bridget this week to get me back on track without killing me .
06/02/2012 at 21:21
Thanks for the advice on plans, everyone. I've looked at the Shades Intermediate plan but all the long runs (18-22 milers) look far too intimidating! I know I lack endurance but what confuses me so much with marathon plans is that you get one that insists you'll be fine with a max long run of 2.5-3 hours then you get others that seem to recommend 5 or 6 runs longer than 16 miles. I wish there was one plan for slow, not very confident runners like me! I know I need to work on my endurance as it took me almost 90min to do the last 10K of my last marathon but at my pace that's being out there week after week at 4 hours plus...

Sorry, you must all think I'm a total softie not wanting to do tons of long runs but I'm genuinely confused about the wide scope of plans that all seem to promise that if I follow them I'll be race-ready. I trained really hard for a 5-hour marathon last time (my HM's leading up suggested that was a sensible goal) and was so far off that mark (even with a club coach guiding me) I'm not sure what plan to trust right now.

mitiog
06/02/2012 at 22:10

((((mitiog)))) No you are not a total softie - you are a marathoner. 

edited for a bit of gobledigook post wine.

Len - glad you are feeling better.

Edited: 06/02/2012 at 22:18
06/02/2012 at 22:48
mitiog - If you message me your email address I'll send you the other Shades plan.  It does go up to 20 but there are cutback weeks liberally sprinkled in there too. 
07/02/2012 at 09:41
Thanks USB - you have mail
07/02/2012 at 12:44

You're not a softie mitiog!! You're a marathoner!!

4 miles planned for this evening around the neighbourhood. Dog will be pleased, she has been very grumpy with her lack of runs lately (you should see the looks I get when I go to the track wthout her..).  I hope to be back before it gets too cold too!

What is everyone else doing today?

07/02/2012 at 13:43
Thanks Len and Soupy.

I have a night off tonight. I'm going to play my viola in a local orchestra and stop stressing about marathons!!

Enjoy your 4 Len
07/02/2012 at 20:55

mitiog - you have email

Len - did the dog enjoy herself?  While I was out doing 6 miles the temperature dropped from -1 to -4

I am currently sat on a heated wheat bag trying to warm up my backside

07/02/2012 at 22:20
Evening! The dog had a brilliant time, she is all bouncy and happy again now, bless her, she does love our runs! I managed to find 4 miles of only mildly icy pavements, and brrrrr it was cold. Amazing how you can be freezing and boiling at the same time.

I was planning to go to the track tomorrow but it was apparently closed today due to ice, so I can't see it being open. I may as well cancel my membership, it was meant to be there for me when I couldn't run on the pavements!

How's your backside, B? Warm now??
07/02/2012 at 23:22
Much better thank you
08/02/2012 at 12:56

Cakey honey, I'm not even opening that link, I know what it is! You want me running up and down the stairs of the Arts Tower, don't you?! NO!! . When I was a student we used to play in the paternoster, and pretend that it went upside down at the top to scare new students. Aaah those were the days...

LOL... I did sign up for the world record attempt for the most people tossing pancakes next week though, that must count as cross-training, no?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.