RW Forum 6 - Just Finish!

Sparkly bridget v Len2

21 to 40 of 1,200 messages
16/01/2012 at 22:37

<pulls up sofa, opens pringles and looks forward following everyone's progress to The Mall>

17/01/2012 at 07:11

*joins soupy on the sofa*

Good luck Len.

17/01/2012 at 07:30
That's OUR Len! Get in Len! Gotta tell the others about this - WHOOP WHOOP!
17/01/2012 at 08:19

*joins Helen on the sofa*

17/01/2012 at 08:20
Good luck Len
17/01/2012 at 08:37

Oi you lot!  Off the sofa.  I know at least one of you has a marathon to train for

Anyway Len, what plans do you have for today?  Do you have the opportunity to get out in the daytime or are you like me chained to the grindstone full-time?

Mind you having said that I am currently sitting in running kit hoping that the gasman will arrive closer to 8 am than 1 pm.

17/01/2012 at 08:46

Good Morning!!!

This thread was my very first waking thought today! Awesome!

So I'm going to dive straight in and bore you al to death with my training schedule . I'm following the Non-Runners Marathon Training book, which is 4 runs a week, with increasing long runs at the weekends (Sundays for me). There's no complicated intervals, tempo runs or other things I dont really understand, just a set amount of miles to cover, any way you like. I often run/walk - mostly because of the stupid hills all around where I live - I can't set foot outside my house without going either uphill or downhill! I'm not  big fan of hills...

So last week I was meant to do 3 miles (Tues), 4 miles (Weds), 3 miles (Fri) and 8 miles on Sunday. Which was exactly the same as the week before except the long run was 7 miles the week before. But.... that week was also the hurricane week, and I did 2 of my weekday runs on the treadmll at the gym (hurt like hell, was really hard work and I loathed every minute) and after the 7 mile run around a trail I felt fine, stretched, drove home....could barely move! My right calf! Ow! So I have had a week off, stretching, foam-rollering and basically being very nice to my legs. 

I managed a 2 mile run on Saturday with no problems (well, the first half was run/walk as I was accompanied by an enthusiastic 8 year old with no stamina!). So I'm ready to pick up again. Do I jump straight back in where I was? Do the week ending in 8 miles? The whole plan is 16 weeks, and I gave myself 18 weeks to do it so I've used a spare week already. Eeek!

I should also warn you that I'm kinda chunky (ha ha ha...) with slightly dodgy biomechanics (I've had PF in the past - seems to be realted to my calf and my flat feet, but it's manageable and fine with loads of stretching) and I'm super-slow too (12 or 13 min miles are normal for me!) but I'm happy to take in the scenery - I just want to DO IT! And survive, obviously....

xxx

17/01/2012 at 08:48

Ok I can answer that one for her (she's gonna HATE the fact that she's told me about this) - she's coming along to Don Valley Stadium this evening for her first ever track session. Aren't you Len? Oh actually no! That's tomorrow, getting my days mixed up. She'll have been up and out by 5.30 with the dog on an extending lead trying to trip up as many early morning joggers as she possibly can.

USB - hope springs eternal!

17/01/2012 at 08:50

Oooh oooh...morning Sparkly B

I do work full time, I have to leave home by 7.30, and I'm then tied up with either work or the 8 year old until my hubby gets home at about 6.30. I prefer running in the mornings, so I usually get up at 5.15 and go for a plod on the days I run in the week. Yawn! I don't really like running in the evenings, but I have planned to today because I'm trying to avoid icy pavements, and tomorrow because I have agreed to do my run around the track at the Don Valley Stadium, for the entertainment of Mozzy, mostly! Never been there before, never run around a track before but it's probably the only flat bit of ground in Sheffield, so I'm almost looking forward to it!!

x

Edited: 17/01/2012 at 08:52
17/01/2012 at 08:50
X post! Don't think you're THAT bothered about surviving are you Len?
17/01/2012 at 08:52

LOL Moz - um....well.. I'd *quite* like to survive. But if it's a choice between finishing and not surviving, I choose finishing . Probably...

17/01/2012 at 08:59
All the people of Sheffield (well, all 6 of us from the RW Sheffield Social forum) are supporting you in this.  You're a star.
17/01/2012 at 09:01
PJAZ wrote (see)
All the people of Sheffield (well, all 6 of us from the RW Sheffield Social forum) are supporting you in this.  You're a star.

Seconded!  
17/01/2012 at 09:04

Mozzy wrote (see)

USB - hope springs eternal!

I have a man in my loft

Len - what does your training plan for this week say?  Are the weekday runs getting longer or just the long one?  I ran my first marathon off a 3 day a week plan by the way so you will be fine!

I am leaning towards keeping the long run to the 8 miles this week as you haven't yet run beyond that but possibly having a plan for a little bit on the end if you feel really, really ok at the end

I went through a patch of morning running when training for my first couple of marathons but now do mostly evenings in the week.  I leave for work not long after you having kicked my 14 year old daughter out of bed first!  Obviously I am not tied to waiting until my OH gets home but do have to plan some stuff around acting as a taxi service  

17/01/2012 at 09:10

Sniff...everyone's so lovely and supportive!! Pass the tissues....

Yay to the man in your loft! Is he cute?

The weekday runs are the same at the moment (3,4,3) but they do increase as the plan goes on. I might type it all out for you later . Assuming I just pressed the pause button last week, this week is 3,4,3,8.

I know what you mean about being a taxi service too! Tonight I can't do anything until Cubs has finished. Thursday it's roller skating .

17/01/2012 at 09:19

He's a bit slimmer than my OH but probably a bit young for me

We have panto this week and A is in the senior chorus.  Up til now it has been rehearsals Mon and Wed from 7.45 till 9.45 ish.  We are now on 6.30 till 10.  More convenient for running but less so the going out in the cold.  Also hassle over getting her to bed in reasonable time as she comes home slightly high!

If you hadn't pressed pause what would the week look like?

17/01/2012 at 09:31

If I hadn't pressed pause it would be 3,4,3, 9 (the very thought of 9 miles scares me to death!). I built in the 2 extra weeks to my schedule to allow for a pause (I was expecting it to be snow at some point!). Is that sensible?

I did panto between the ages of 9 and 15 lol! Exhausting! My parents gave up and just joined in eventually, I think they were sick of driving me about and having no fun in return. It was all good until my Dad decided he'd quite like to be Dame..

17/01/2012 at 09:45

In that case i think we are looking at restarting where you left off since you'd got the extra couple of weeks built in and are early in the programme. 

I did panto/local drama group a few times (sucked in by my childminder), then my son did a couple of years but A has been at it since she was 8.  I'm thinking that she'll have to give it a miss next year though as it is her GCSE year.

I am freezing and about to resort to the fan heater and sod the electricity bill!  Still the amount of time that is being spent on the plumbing must mean he has found something to sort out (I hope).  Thankfully we have a service contract so no extra cost involved.  Only had the system for less than 18 months and this is the first time we've had a leaky problem ever although lots of bits and pieces replaced on the old one over the years

17/01/2012 at 10:01

Yep, I stopped in exam year too! Never tap danced on stage again lol...

Right, 3,4,3,8 this week then! Bit nervous about my calf but it does feel fine now , and I will stretch all the time, only wear sensible shoes, and foam roller it too!

17/01/2012 at 10:10

Stretching is my weak point   I was very good when I had a problem affecting my running and did my exercises diligently but when I feel fine I tend to forget!

Looks like we don't need to worry about anymore leaks although I shall be paranoid for a few days at least.  Sun has just broken through too so I think it could be time for a run

21 to 40 of 1,200 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.