RW Forum 6 - Just Finish!

Sparkly bridget v Len2

41 to 60 of 1,200 messages
17/01/2012 at 12:03
Hi Len, and Sparkly Bridget too. Hope you don't mind if I burst in here and lurk? Its my 1st marathon as well, I too am just aiming to get round, so will be following with interest hoping to gleen some tips
17/01/2012 at 12:22

Hey B&T The more the merrier! Maybe I should have a shirt with my name printed on it so you can all see me on the day too?!

I'm the same with stretching, I forget to doit when I feel okay, but my legs soon remind me if I'm too slack. I'm quite good at stretching every time I finish a run. It's any time in between runs that I forget. And that foam roller just hurts!! How often is often enough?!

17/01/2012 at 12:23

Good luck Len- Sparkly will look after you well

its all very exciting isn't it.... my in-laws are in sheffield so hopefully if we visit before marathon day maybe we could meet up for a plod?

17/01/2012 at 12:58
VikW/anyone - if you're ever up this way do look us up. We have weekly Thursday evening runs and monthly Sunday runs (off road and often in the peaks) amongst other things. If you post on our facebook page I'm sure someone would be free to pal you for a run! All abilities catered for .
17/01/2012 at 13:41
That would be great Vik (although you should be warned that i am the slowest runner ever!!).
17/01/2012 at 13:47
Len 2 wrote (see)

Maybe I should have a shirt with my name printed on it so you can all see me on the day too?!

In all seriousness, do this!  The supporters will shout your name and you will get a real buzz from it.

(I have confessed to lurking, haven't I?)

17/01/2012 at 13:55

Schmunks - you posted on page 1 yesterday so we knew you were there somewhere

I had my name but on my club vest for London and it does work a treat ...................... you can always use it for your next one too

17/01/2012 at 14:09

NEXT ONE?? . Ha ha ha ha! Now that's what I like - a confident mentor!! .

Right then - ebay for iron-on letters it is! 

Hi Schmunkee .

17/01/2012 at 15:09

to the name on your vest thing.

17/01/2012 at 15:31
I got mine done at the Expo but I noticed last year you could also send it to the people well ahead of time to be done and you could see what it would look like too.  My letters are still in great condition and it was done in 2008.
17/01/2012 at 16:11
Len - are you doing VLM? Only asking as some one else is doing Brighton. You are in very good hands with Bridget

17/01/2012 at 21:06
Yes, I'm doing VLM Tracey! Eeeeek!
17/01/2012 at 21:42

Evening all.

Excuse me for stomping all over your thread - did the same with Soup Dragon last year - feel it only fair to inflict myself on others

Names on t-shirts - I know I should but  as a lazy bugger I did regret getting my name on mine for a half marathon as I did resort to quite a few walky bits and then had people yelling at me to keep going. I was sorely tempted to use the f word - and I wasn't talking fun. As a supporter though I know it makes the whole cheery thing a bit easier.

Watch my halo - see it shine - I have been and done a slow 3 miles in the frosty night air. Only another 23 and a bit to add then - nearly there.

17/01/2012 at 21:52
Hi DL! Yeah I can see that everyone shouting your name when you're walking wouldn't be fun!

I have been out this evening, did my 3 miles and my calf felt fine! Everything felt fine, in fact! Hooraaaaaay! Its 5 miles tomorrow (not 4, would help if I could read my own training plan!)

phew. I'm so relieved that my calf is ok. I have a suspicion that I over-enthusiastically stretched it last week and that caused the problem. Who knows! Just...phew!
17/01/2012 at 23:18

Good stuff Len.  Although it is cold here the thermometer says it is better than last night.

18/01/2012 at 08:20

Good morning

Practically tropical here this morning - must find out what the weather is doing later, I always seem to end up over-dressed for a run!

I got a High5 Marathon kit in the post this morning (don't ask me what's in it, I haven't opened it yet and I've just left it in the car! Doh!). It was a freebie - I hope it comes with instructions because I really haven't figured out stuff like that yet. Never had a gel in my life (and they look revolting...). Could be interesting!

18/01/2012 at 12:33

hey Len

definitely get your name on the shirt- I did windsor half this year and it was a hideous race but I didn't have my name on t-shirt and I felt anonomous and really lonely!  those iron letters are good!!

gels can be  but once you find one you get on with they're ok... my current favourite is a chocolate one by GU it's like eating a chocolate bar mid long run... yummy!!!

18/01/2012 at 12:48

Hi Vik! Hmm...chocolate gels might just be appealing enough to manage, I will look into those if the High5 are vile! I always thought I was more of a citrussy girl, but you never know. I'm also a fan of jelly beans so, for the sake of science, I'm willing to give those a go at some point too.

Or, i have a friend who lives near Tower Bridge who said she might be able to provide a cuppa and cake

18/01/2012 at 13:29

Another thumbs up to the 'name on your shirt'. Although there have been 2 occasions when I've wished I didn't have my name so prominently displayed.

The first was at Reading HM last year, when running through the University campus the Cheerleading group started cheering me on, waving pom poms, kicking legs etc. Might have been a treat if I'd been male!

Second was on the second loop of Bath HM when you peel off and head back towards the start / finish line. The route goes past a pub, and I had to slog past a line of beer drinking lads shouting my name with various 'oy oy!!' type noises. 

Those are the only 2 though - al the rest has been good!

18/01/2012 at 17:50

Quick pop in before rushing off to collect Mr USB from the station.  He was supposed to be home much later after a work do which is why he got the bus to the station this morning but it has been postponed so he is back normal time.  Thankfully A is happy to walk down to the community centre for half 6.

Tropical here too today.  Very surprised to look out of the bedroom window and see an unfrosted car.  Looking forward to hearing about tonight's run Len.

41 to 60 of 1,200 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.