RW Forum 6 - Just Finish!

Sparkly bridget v Len2

61 to 80 of 1,201 messages
18/01/2012 at 17:50

Quick pop in before rushing off to collect Mr USB from the station.  He was supposed to be home much later after a work do which is why he got the bus to the station this morning but it has been postponed so he is back normal time.  Thankfully A is happy to walk down to the community centre for half 6.

Tropical here too today.  Very surprised to look out of the bedroom window and see an unfrosted car.  Looking forward to hearing about tonight's run Len.

18/01/2012 at 21:59
Evening Sparkly B

Wow, who knew proper running tracks were so bouncy?? 5 miles done, and nothing hurt or ached or anything. Admittedly tracks aren't very interesting to run round, especially when you're slow, but I had company from some of the lovelies on the Sheffield Social thread to keep me entertained .

I also started experimenting with drinks. I don't usually run far enough to take anything but I got a freebie pack of High5 stuff today, so I tried a Zero carb-free but full of electrolytes drink. Berry flavour, tablet thingy which dissolves in water and it was ok! Tasted nice, and seemed a good place to start. Might test drive a gel at the weekend, see what happens! I have samples of drink powders, gels, iso-gels, gels with caffeine and an energy bar to see what makes me feel better and what makes me feel ill. Is there a sensible way to test drive them??

So yes. 5 miles, took me 1hour 5 mins, and no ill effects! Yaaaay!
18/01/2012 at 22:22

Great stuff Len

I used to drink Lucozade Sport after a run but just water during it.  When I found myself sweating more during warm weather (think it is my age) I began to use Nuun and then Zero and found them much more palatable.  I like berry flavours but citrus one is nice too.

My run tonight was more than 5 miles but not as much as 6.  I do have some aches now, probably a combination of going too fast the day after intervals and running too many days in a row   Perhaps I should join you in a rest day tomorrow!

19/01/2012 at 07:34

@Len2 - I'm using the Hi5 tablets and they work a treat for me (as i hate gels). Let me know how you get on with the rest of the range?

Well done on your 5 miler - I was out there this morning as well.

19/01/2012 at 07:48

Each mara I've done I've taken sips from pretty much every water station and the same from the lucozade stations if they have them and that's worked fine for me - maybe find out exactly what they'll be offering on the day and experiment with that as your first avenue? Would save you having to carry anything or carrying too much! Having said that, gels don't exactly weigh much and I have a gel belt you can borrow Len.

On a long run I use high 5 4:1 (4 parts carbohydrate 1 part protein) in my camelbak. I can give you some to try Len - it's a powder that you mix it with water.

And I can confirm that Len did in fact do 5 miles round the track - bit of a stunner she looked too in her high viz tracky top!

19/01/2012 at 08:03
Len - I said the something about runnung track

Going for a long run when the rain stops here. Drink already made up.
19/01/2012 at 08:47

Ooh I declare today a rest day for all then .

Glad you liked my tracky top Moz - it was a Christmas pressie from my lovely husband, to keep me warm. He'd have me dressed up like a Christmas tree if I let him .

And thanks for the offer of a gel belt but I've got one - it came as part of the freebie kit from High5 and holds loads of stuff, so I'll try that and see what works. So...there's water and lucozade on the route? I don't like lucozade at all which is why I'm trying the Hi5 stuff. And hopefully I can plant a few drinks or gels with my supporters along the route!

There's a splendid marathon nutrition guide for idiots here:

http://www.highfive.co.uk/pdf/marathon-guide.pdf

x

19/01/2012 at 17:49

Someone needs to post to get you back on top of the list Len!

I'll do it

19/01/2012 at 17:55

You'll need something with carbs in which is where things like jelly babies or gels come into it, especially if you don't like things like Lucozade Sport.  In 2008 at London it was orange LS which I hate, the ground round those drink stations was sooooo sticky too

I don't mind the SiS gels which don't need water to wash them down but mostly use Shotbloks instead

19/01/2012 at 18:19
Ha! Thanks Moz!

Urghh...sticky floor? Nooo, that's not nice!

Tonight I'm going to do a little bit of foam rollering, just to take care of my calves and stuff. Otherwise, I'm putting my feet up! Can't decide whether to run first thing in the morning or not....I might let the weather forecast decide!!

19/01/2012 at 19:35

Very windy here.  A forgot her makeup (which is supposed to be kept with her costumes) so ran down with it and did 4 miles altogether.  I will have a rest day tomorrow

Seems colder againer tonight although not as bad as at the weekend.  If you don't run first thing does that mean you will run later?

19/01/2012 at 22:02
Yep! I have the option tomorrow because L is going home with a school friend for a sleepover - I have FREE TIME!! What's that again...? Ooh all the things I could do! I will NOT use it for ironing.

LOL at you running A's stuff down for her - that's definitely not resting! KIDS!! x
19/01/2012 at 22:12
I think I'd opt for the relative lie in and the later run. It's not as if there is daylight yet at either time

19/01/2012 at 22:20
I think I agree! Although I love running in the mornings, it also makes me hungry all day, so hopefully I can nibble less if I run later. That's the plan. Apparently there's snow on the nearby hills! Eek! X
19/01/2012 at 23:04
Bridget - A is a lucky to have a mum like you. Have done a 14 mile long run to drop of locking wheel nut key.
20/01/2012 at 08:23

14 miles for a locking wheel nut?! LOL! That's as good an excuse as any I suppose! So I need to find something 4 miles away that I can take/fetch something to, to get in my 8 mile run on Sunday?!

I haz a new iPod. I never usually run with music, but this one has a radio....ohhhh....!

20/01/2012 at 15:13

There's posh!  I'm in negotiations to have the Marathon Talk podcast on Mr USB's iPod for me to use at the weekends.  I have an old nano which is full of music but his was won from Coke and has a ginormous memory!

20/01/2012 at 18:09
Len2 - I am confuzzled.  What week are you on?  I am planning on a 7-miler this week as I am on week 3, but you have me worried that I should be doing 8
20/01/2012 at 20:31
I'm a week in front, Schmunks. I factored in a couple of spare weeks, started the 16 week plan at 18 weeks! Already used one spare, so I have one more for injury or snow! Or repeating a week cos I feel rubbish lol xx
20/01/2012 at 21:40

Then let me feel rubbish with you

Thanks for the explanation 

61 to 80 of 1,201 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.