RW Forum 6 - Just Finish!

Sparkly bridget v Len2

81 to 100 of 1,200 messages
20/01/2012 at 21:49

I returned my 1st Gen nano last week after I heard they were given back 6th Gen.  Now I sit under the letterbox every morning waiting for it to arrive

Good to hear the calfs are holding up Len

20/01/2012 at 22:17
took a while to get Schmunks, I sent mine in on Dec 7th, it took them 2 weeks to process it, and I only got the replacement this week. Still, its pretty good of them to take a fire hazard off me and send a shiny new one! Trouble is I had loads of cases and armbands for the old one! Need new ones now. Gah.. X
20/01/2012 at 22:45
Mine is 2nd or 3rd gen and got it cheap from John Lewis as ex-display

My daughter had a newer one which I washed last summer. It was a couple of years old but we were able to claim on the house insurance under accidental damage. No excess and a brand new iPod for her!

So how did the run go today?
20/01/2012 at 22:56

I was just enjoying catching up and reading about bouncy tracks and things and now its gone on the gobbledigook on nanos and gens.

But well done to Schmunks for not making a list (yet).

Doing good Len

<goes back to the sofa and pringles>

21/01/2012 at 08:13
lol Soup Dragon! Sorry for the techy diversion!

the 3 miles was fine. I still take little walk breaks on the steep bits (they're really steep!) but they're no more than about 15 metres each, so its not for long. I'm a little bit apprehensive about the 8 miles tomorrow though. The wind had better go away before then, I find running in wind really hard. But hey, maybe the high5 gel will be magical or something lol...
x
21/01/2012 at 11:07

Those really steep but short bits can be killers, don't blame you for walking them.  When I run along the canal I hate when I have to change sides because the bridges are so humped.

It doesn't look too windy here but that is judged by looking out at the garden, I may change my opinion when I get out there!  Hopefully if it is windy you'll have the wind behind you for some of it.

21/01/2012 at 22:38
Len - hope the wind is kind to you on your long run tomorrow.

Bridget - I don't use my ipod anymore, as music is now on my mobile.
22/01/2012 at 09:25
morning! Omg the wind is absolutely howling around here! Sob.... So, I've come up with a plan. Go back to the track. At least then I only have to deal with wind, and not hills at the same time. Sound like a plan? I will take music too, because 8 miles in circles sounds like the most boring run ever lol.
just having some porridge for breakfast, going to let that go down and head off. If my car hasn't blown away... X
22/01/2012 at 09:46

8 miles on a track?  ooo that sounds boring.  Len - is there an out and back route you could do then you have the wind blowing in your favour half the time? Set off against the wind and let it blow back again on the way home.

22/01/2012 at 09:50
My problem is hills Soupy, if I have to spend half of my run walking because I can't deal with hills AND wind, I know I will find it really demotivating. At least the track is flat? And there are other people to watch....the rugby team training on the pitch in the middle last week were entertaining .
22/01/2012 at 09:53
I appreciate your problem cos I can't do hills either. Luckilly I don't have many but I know that Sheffield does.  Well the track will give you some mental training which is always good for those last 6 miles, and the rugby boys sound like good entertainment.   Good luck.
22/01/2012 at 10:07
@Len2 - You're motivation with the rugby team training is GENIUS! *wanders off to look at the local training schedules*
22/01/2012 at 10:11

And luckilly the VLM has no hills at all.

No rugby boys either though.

Have you got a lap counter or are you going to run for a set time instead?

22/01/2012 at 10:19

Not sure if you've gone yet but the track does sound like a reasonable alternative if you have the rugby boys to ogle   I'll confess to having run a track marathon (105 and a bit laps) and put my music on around 10 miles as I realised I was bored.

Soupy - not sure if Len has a Garmin as that will remove the need to count laps

We have wind here too judging by the way the tree out the back is waving around.  I actually quite enjoy running against it as long as I know I'll be turning a corner reasonably soon.  Mick (and Phil of course) like to remind me of when I overtook them and several others going into a headwind at the Robin Hood marathon.

22/01/2012 at 10:25

Ah - silly me I forget about garmins cos I've dumped mine for now.  Thanks Bridget, I'll go back to my sofa.

Don't know how you managed a track marathon - blimey!

22/01/2012 at 10:43

Not sure I'll ever do another one

Im getting a bit worried about the darkening clouds here, may take a waterproof with me

22/01/2012 at 14:13
A track marathon?! Wow. Don't you end up with one leg shorter than the other ??

Well, as they say, the best laid plans of mice and Len......I got to the stadium and the track was closed because of the wind! Who knew?! So no track, and no rugby players . I sat in the car for a minute, trying to figure out what to do, realised I was parked in one of the flattest areas of Sheffield, and decided to take advantage of that. So I set off, ran 4 miles down the road, around the back of Meadowhall, down the trans pennine trail, and then turned around and went back to the car!

it was soooooo windy! Walked bits, and I'm sure I was going backwards at times, but DONE! 1 hour 44 mins. Had a gel at 4 miles and one at 6 miles, just to try them, and they were ok! No ill effects anyway. Woo hoooo!

Soup, yes I have got a garmin, so no need to lap count!

tired now....yawn.. X
22/01/2012 at 16:08

Brilliant stuff Len!  Now you can enjoy your rest day

My legs were even but I got aches where I hadn't had aches before which was probably due to  the unchanging surface

I got my long run done without getting wet (amazing what carrying a waterproof can do) and also had that 'I'm going nowhere fast' feeling at times.  Off to doze in the bath now

22/01/2012 at 18:48
Thanks B Well done at not getting wet - that's an achievement too, looking at the weather forecast today! A bath sounds good..I may have one tomorrow night, I never have time for a bath!

So - challenge for this week is that I'm off to Paris for work, I think on Thursday (they haven't actually bothered to tell me when my flights are yet...sigh...) and returning either Saturday night or Sunday. May mess with my first ever 10 miler a tad!! Humph.
x
22/01/2012 at 21:28

So that shifts you into the 'busy lifestyle' category

Do you have to work your usual days as well or do you get time off for working at the weekend?  If you do is there a chance of doing the 10 mid-week and then a shorter one on Sunday?

81 to 100 of 1,200 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.