RW Forum 6 - Just Finish!

Sparkly bridget v Len2

981 to 1,000 of 1,200 messages
23/04/2012 at 14:55

Brilliant report DL!! Well done (and I LOL'd at ingesting the salt off your own face, Ive done that in a training long run that was hotter than I'd anticipated!!).

Definitely see you  next year then, one way or another!

I've found myself a nice friendly 10k plan to get me to August 5th (well, a few weeks of tootling about enjoying myself, and then an 8 week plan to follow). And I am slowly now getting used to eating much less. As a word of warning to you all - if you suddenly stop running, but you keep eating loads, you incredibly get fat! No idea how . I'd like to lose a couple of stone over the summer, get myself in tip top condition for the winter training! You never know, I might even be better prepared for 2013!

23/04/2012 at 15:22
Nice one DL
23/04/2012 at 19:47
Great race report DL, it all sounds so positive! Gives me hope for Sunday (serious nerves kicking in right about now!) Fantastic time too, take time to bask in the glow...
23/04/2012 at 20:14

SS - a couple of years ago we walked across the Thames towards St Pauls.  As we crossed a road I suddenly realised that I had run along it but had no idea where I was!

beck* - you'll be fine, just remember to rest and eat!

Len - sounds like a good plan

I've been to a lecture in Oxford about particle accelerators this evening

23/04/2012 at 21:57
Congratulations DL and SS and well done on your times.

I finished in 5.19 which is a PB by almost exactly half an hour so I'm delighted.

I'll do a full report tomorrow because I'm too tired to do it tonight. I didn't get home until after 4pm today and then I went for a steady 3.5 mile run to loosen my legs, followed by a soak in the bath and I'm now ready for bed!!

Len - I remembered you and your FIL from mile 16 until I got to RW at 17 - you kept me going until I could stock up on gels;)
24/04/2012 at 07:05

Hi all - I'll be posting a report later on today but I did it! Apart from a bit of sunburn and achy legs I'm doing ok! It's great to see everyone else's reports!!

@Len - I ran my mile for you and did think about you a lot en route.

24/04/2012 at 09:02

Aaaw thank you LMB and Emmy!! I can't believe how lovely everyone has been - you've all made me smile a lot recently.

Can't wait for the full report LMB! But you did a RUN??? Arent you meant to rest for a month or someething?!?!

xx

24/04/2012 at 16:17
Well here is my race report (very long - so skip if you want!)

I woke up early at 6am (having already woken three times in the night anyway) and managed to eat a bowl of cereal and half a bowl of porridge before nerves stopped me eating any more. My legs felt a bit achy due to the amount of walking I had done on Friday and Saturday (I'd tried not to do much but I think the stairs on the underground had got me!!) I double checked I had everything and then took a taxi to Charing Cross and caught the 7.09 to Greenwich. I met two guys from my club in Greenwich and we nervously walked past the red start to the blue start, admiring the rhino costumes on the way and we met up with another club mate and two local runners. The next hour or so to the start passed quickly and soon I was in pen 9 waiting for the starting gun.

I can't really remember the first 11 miles except for the great atmosphere among runners and spectators and me trying to keep to a steady pace (which worked as my fastest mile was 11.16 and my slowest 11.34).

I saw my parents, aunty and uncle at 11.5 miles and had a hug and a quick chat (but then had to wait ages for mum to empty her entire rucksack to find my energy gels - aargh!!). I had a quick stop and chat with my brother and his girlfriend at 15 miles and was feeling ok but very salty and warm.

By 16 miles there seemed to be more people walking than running and it was getting difficult to pass people in the narrow streets. I felt too warm and was trying to take on more water than usual. I remembered to run my mile for Len and it was great to see RW team 5 and get my extra gels.

At around 18 miles on Canary Wharf I started with a stitch and to feel sick so I had to walk for a few minutes until the stitch had gone. I think this is where I passed Arg from TOWIE!!
I couldn't get rid of the nauseous feeling and the stitch and so from around 19 miles I adopted a strategy of running at 11.15 pace and then walking at each mile point for a minute or when I needed to drink water (and I gave up with the gels). This worked ok as my miles averaged between 11.25 and 13.17 for the last 8 miles (except for mile 20 when I had a family pit-stop again). In the last 5 miles I was actually overtaking people and spectators shouted that I had good running form - which really spurred me on

By 25.5 miles I was feeling really sick and didn't know if I would have to walk to the end (I'd already worked out that I could walk the last bit and still do 5.30) but then an angel called Mel who was also running in an Alzheimer's Society T Shirt grabbed hold of my arm and told me to keep running with her - and I did virtually to the finish line!!

As I turned up the Mall I started to run as hard as I could but then realised this was a major mistake because I was going to be sick! I slowed down and manged to get over the line and pass the cameras but then I was really sick and had a marshall come to help me.

I felt much better after throwing up and was absolutely delighted with my time of 5.18.59 - a PB by nearly half an hour.

It was hard and there were times when just keeping going was an effort but the atmosphere was fantastic and I would definitely do it again

24/04/2012 at 16:31

Here's my report 

I didn’t get the best amount of sleep and was awake at 5.30am. After struggling to eat porridge - I ended up getting to the start with time to spare. Cue a hilarious trip to the female urinals (has to be seen to be believed ) and trying to get my bag checked in. I met Marathon Molly again and she gave me some last minute tips and encouragement. I didn't expect to meet up with her again but I'm so glad that I did!

After working out which pen I needed to be in and working out the timings and where the pacers were we set off at an easy 11 min mile pace. It started off really nicely and there was a lot of support from the people. The pacer was quite relaxed and helpful. My biggest fear was blowing out and starting off to quickly so I made a conscious effort with my pace to keep it even and this worked for the first 15 miles. From my first gel at 5 miles I felt that something “wasn’t right” with my stomach. It just didn’t feel right and for the rest of the race it turned between cramping pain and just aches. This continued throughout the race and into the evening. I still don't know what caused it but i'm glad that I managed to work through the pain.

The crowd support is something that they tell you about but you're never sure of... For me - I was amazed that every 50metres there was someone calling out my name. Crossing tower bridge was one of the best moments for me - I was still coherent enough to be in complete awe of it. Up until Mile 16 I was relatively strong and tried to make sure that I was keeping my heart rate steady and a “good” speed. The biggest problem that I found were the other runners. There’s the rule that’s written out that if you’re walking – move to the side so that other runners can past. I found that for the last 10 miles all I was doing was swerving around people who were walking in the middle. It made things so much harder to do as all I seemed to be doing was overtaking people....
24/04/2012 at 16:31

... Part 2

After seeing the RW crew at Mile 17 and having my gel precut and some amazing hugs from the team – I set off with a renewed spirit. Then came my lowest point: Miles 18-22. It hurt. There were tears and a near asthma attack where I was getting panicked about the last few miles. When you hit your low point – it’s hard to put one foot in front of the other – but slowly I managed to pick up the pace and kept moving. The last few miles are a blur. I was determined to enjoy it and see the sights. Seeing my Fiance as I neared the finish line made me run faster and I can honestly say that I was sprinting as hard as I could (whilst weaving through people!). 

Would I do it again? In an instant!! I'd just make some subtle changes to the preparation and the day before but there is nothing that would deter me from another one. There were times when I thought “damn this is hard” but never did it cross my mind that I wouldn’t finish.... in fact - to make things easier during the last few miles I was trying to work out what I could do better on my next run! It diverted my mind a little!

24/04/2012 at 17:20
Great reports What an encouragement!

16 for me tomorrow. Forecast is heavy rain and 48mph gusting winds. Ho hum!
24/04/2012 at 18:39
Great reports everyone- thanks for posting them! Seems like nervous tummies were a recurring theme? I'm a bit prone to stitches and have vomited after one of my long runs, so it's something that worries me a little. Sounds line you both did a great job running thought the pain and finishing though. Woop woop!
24/04/2012 at 21:43
Great report Emmybug - I saw the female urinals but daren't brave them so I waited an eternity in the portaloo queue.

It is strange how we both had tummy troubles. I've only had stitch once before on a long run and that was on my 20 mile run when I was sick afterwards. I wonder if it is due to a combination of gels and the warmer weather because that day was warm as well!

Thanks to everyone for your congratulations and good wishes.

Good luck on your run tomorrow Mitiog. Hope the weather is kind to you. London was supposed to be torrential rain showers but I got sunburn instead!

Glad to hear you have entered a 10k Len - and you have plenty of time to reach peak fitness

I hope those of you running marathons at the weekend are enjoying the last few days of taper and are not too nervous yet.

I managed another 3.5 mile run tonight. I have an ache down the outside of my left foot and my blister isn't great - but running seems to be loosening up my legs.

24/04/2012 at 22:13
ummm....how do female urinals work??
24/04/2012 at 22:20

Great reports LMB and Emmy_bug   - I really wanted to shout at the walkers to move to the side - it made it so much harder to keep any sort of pace going.

Your urinal moment reminded me of my own   incident - I was hit by a snot rocket as I overtook some bloke - at least he aplogised - but it was not pleasant!

I think the carb loading contributes to the stitches and tummy troubles. I started the race feeling 'fuller' than I'm used to. I got a stitch about 10 miles in and slowed my drinking and delayed gels - then panicked about getting dehydrated and not getting enough energy. It's great what you get worried about along the way!

Mitiog - hope the wind is behind you!

Len - 10k plan sounds great

Who is racing this weekend? Obviously been so self obsessed of late I have retained very little useful or important information  - sorry!

24/04/2012 at 22:37

Me in Milton Keynes and becks in Manchester I think

Great reports from LMB and Emmy_bug and well done on getting past the cameras before throwing up  

4 miles for me tonight

24/04/2012 at 22:46

DL wrote (see)

Your urinal moment reminded me of my own   incident - I was hit by a snot rocket as I overtook some bloke - at least he aplogised - but it was not pleasant!

I would have thrown up, without a doubt!!

Ace race reports, well done to everyone

I don't quite understand how female urinals work  I'd rather go behind a bush.....although I guess there few and far betwenn in central LOndon!!!

oh! everything is in the box!?

Edited: 24/04/2012 at 22:56
24/04/2012 at 22:49
I didn't swallow
24/04/2012 at 22:51

<sets vibe machine on standby for the weekend>

How many marathons have you run USB and which was your favourite?

25/04/2012 at 07:00

I've run 20 marathons and one 30 miler DL.  Fastest marathon was 4:26:52 and the slowest 6:04:35 although I did stop for tea and cake on the way

I'm going to have a think about my favourite and let you know later but it is probably one of the off road ones.

981 to 1,000 of 1,200 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.