RW Forum 6 - Just Finish!

Sparkly bridget v Len2

1,001 to 1,020 of 1,200 messages
25/04/2012 at 07:52
Snot rocket- eeeeewugh!

Yep, I'm running Manchester on Sunday, my first marathon.

Any 'I wish I'd known that beforehand' tips from first-time VLMers?
25/04/2012 at 08:51
Eugh! Snot rocket? I think I may have saw you DL.... there were several people hit by them... it looked like they werent really looking out for where they'd "go".
25/04/2012 at 09:04

Ewwwww to the snot rockets!!! .

Are you all ready for the weekend Beck? Lots of vaseline/bodyglide, especially if it's raining and you'e going to get soggy feet!! 

Are you both ready to run in wellies?? lol!

25/04/2012 at 09:18
26.2 miles in wellies- think of the chaffing!

I think I'm as ready as I can be. I missed my last week of proper training before the taper due to a real stinker of a cold an sinusitis, but I did one 18 mile long run one 16 miler and plenty of 14 runs. I'm hoping that it wont have too much of a detrimental effect.

I ran 9.5 miles on Sunday and felt pretty good for the first time since my cold (the 11 miles the week before was awful!), so that helped me feel a bit more ready. That and lots of expert advice from the lovely Bridget

I'm off for a little 3 miler this morning, then I'm going to plan Sunday with military precision; study the route, work out transport there and back, finalise my gel strategy etc. And try not to think about how much 5 hours (and the rest!) is A BLOODY LONG TIME to do anything, never mind run continuously for!
25/04/2012 at 09:24
Please - I am still intrigued - how *do* female urinals work? I wasn't brave enough to go and see on Sunday (feared I'd be scarred for life!) but then spent idol moments on the way round wondering!
25/04/2012 at 09:28
Beck - don't worry about the time. It will fly by! To say I was running for nearly 5 and a half hours I can honestly say it didn't feel like it and huge sections of the run are just a blur.
As Len says, make sure you body glide everything, have a gel and hydration strategy and don't go too fast at the start. I know I slowed towards the end when I was struggling but I set off slow and there were so many people worse than me in the last 8 miles who who I overtook who had obviously set off too quickly. It is better to start slow and be the one overtaking people in the last miles than feeling as though everyone is passing you (which is what happened last time!)
25/04/2012 at 09:40
I still need to know that too!!!
25/04/2012 at 09:45

Black and Tabby/Len - they give you a cardboard "funnel" and you take down your trousers, position the cardboard and pee into the urinal. The biggest thing is "mental" because as a woman I was so used to squatting that when I needed to stand it just was just hard to actually go for a wee.

They were quite funny and there was such a cheery atmosphere going on!

25/04/2012 at 09:53
Emmy_bug wrote (see)
 The biggest thing is "mental" because as a woman I was so used to squatting that when I needed to stand it just was just hard to actually go for a wee.

They say you should try everything out during training, but i always assumed that meant kit and gels etc
25/04/2012 at 10:29

Emmy_bug - ah! so like a she-wee then!!! Have never actually tried one of these - but they do look like a good idea! Not sure just before my first marathon would have been the place to try this - so maybe just as well I queued at the portaloos!

Lady Wot Jogs - exactly - remind me to pack a cardboard funnel before my next run!

beck - as Little Miss Blister said, the time really does fly by in a blur. I knew I'd be out for at least 6 hours so mentally I was prepared for it. I didn't worry about time on the day, but I had broken the course down into chunks so I knew what was coming next. i.e. wanted to make sure I saw the Greenwich Meridian at about 6.5M, and the Cutty sark of course. After that was Tower Bridge at 12.5M. Then Mudchute at 17M ... etc. Oh - and I counted the miles I had run upto half way, the started counting down what I had to do. Good luck!

25/04/2012 at 10:41

@Black and Tabby - Yes, completely agree. For me, i managed to wee so it wasnt an issue but I knew that a lot of women struggled.

@Ladywatjogs - did I tell you how fantastic it was to see you at the finish line? You really made my day! I must admit during my training I practiced learning how not to get stung whilst trying to go for a wee in the woods!

25/04/2012 at 11:13

But I can't wee standing up!!! And...men have zips/tackle they can move about - doesn't that just mean that you have a lot of ladies with their butts hanging out?? I'm half horrified and half desperate to try it LOL!

25/04/2012 at 11:45
Len - I've never actually tried to wee standing up, but did once try to do a Paula (but not in public!) where you just move your shorts to the side. #epicfail
25/04/2012 at 19:28

Blokes have it easy really!

This is pinched from the MK thread:

Oompa wrote (see)

Owen - Read a very good article in Running & Fitness magazine last week on the train to Brum, that stood me in good stead last Sunday in London...

P.S - This is not verbatim!

"Pacing a marathon should be like standing on the beach... at first the tide will be going out as you stick to your pacing plan whilst others around you speed off too fast, too soon. After about 7 - 8 miles you find that after the initial surge, you are sticking with the same group and nobody is streaking off into the distance (the tide is out). Then finally after 18 - 20 miles, the ones who set off too quickly start to come back to you (tide comes back in) and you find yourself passing lots of people" which, as Mark says is a fantastic feeling which really helps with the last 6 miles.

As i mentioned this visualisation worked for me on Sunday.

I have opted to go for the feet up option tonight as feeling tired as one of our canine friends.  Not sure why as I had what I would class as a good night's sleep and didn't even notice the first sounding of the alarm clock.  Perhaps it was my dream about going to the Olympics on a spaceship with Steve Redgrave so that I could compete in the gymnastics that has worn me out!

25/04/2012 at 20:18

Hi USB - I like that tide theory. I was trying to be happy about passing all of these people but i was getting more annoyed that they were in my way

I managed a 4miler tonight and my left leg was the only thing aching (which was suprising as it didnt hurt throughout the race).

25/04/2012 at 20:39
Emmy, it made my day seeing you too.  If ever you're down this way again let me know and we can arrange a little run together xXx
25/04/2012 at 20:45
Hi LadyWotJogs - I'll certainly do that! xxx
26/04/2012 at 09:17
Had a really good 16 mile run yesterday, even though the weather was rubbish. It was my best so far - averaged 11:10

I saw the article in RF too - thought it was really good. The "tide" analogy is what I'm thinking of when I pace my long runs now. Start slow, finish strong.

Anyone here actually running this week? I know USB and Becks are tapering for Sunday and a lot of you are recovering.
26/04/2012 at 09:24

Hi Mitiog - Well done on the great pace! That sounds like a good average! How are you feeling about the race? 

I managed a four miler last night as a "recovery" run but nothing substantial... i'm currently recovering and training for my 10k agility race next tuesday (hilarous pictures of me trying to avoid being electrocuted will follow!).

How is everyone else doing?

Edited: 26/04/2012 at 09:25
26/04/2012 at 12:51
Howdy

Haven't run since Sunday - might go for a shorty at the weekend. Feeling amazingly well. My toes are still a little tender but nothing other than that.

Emmy_Bug - it's highly likely we were near each other at some point in the marathon. I said hello to 2 blue ribbons from the first timers thread and I bumped into a WAISTer (from beginners) in the loo queue at the beginning, and again in the race itself.

Becks - the thing I wish I'd known - the extra bit (for me it was 6.2 miles) will be fine. It's not as big and scary as you'll make it in your head the night before. I'm also really glad I took my own porridge pot and dried apricots to have in the hotel in the morning - it made me feel things were 'normal'

<turns vibe machine up a notch for the weekend racers>
1,001 to 1,020 of 1,200 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.