RW Forum 6 - Just Finish!

Sparkly bridget v Len2

121 to 140 of 1,200 messages
28/01/2012 at 11:25

This might be a bit late as I've been busy keeping MK parkrun in order but find a pharmacy and get some Compeed on them for starters!

The knee is generally fine thanks except when I do things like kneeling down to check what I need to replace in the bottom of the larder.

28/01/2012 at 12:31
I'm still in Paris, stuck in meetings! I can get to a chemist tomorrow? Still, if I'm going to have a foot disaster, it may as well coincide with a stinking cold. I feel so rough .
28/01/2012 at 13:14

Been lurking just wanted to wish you well with your training.

Don't worry about the blisters because you haven't got them from your running shoes you may not feel them when you run.

28/01/2012 at 16:52

Len - at least if you are in meetings you can't spend 8 hours walking around again

Make sure you drink plenty ................................. of alcohol-free drinks!

28/01/2012 at 17:52
Good luck Len, I followed the same plan for my first marathon, in fact my copy of the book is falling apart I have read it so much! You have made a great start.
Hope the blisters are soon better.
28/01/2012 at 22:09
thanks everyone. B, I have had one solitary cocktail in Paris. Nothing else alvoholic at all! The good news is that the blisters won't stop me running. The bad news is that the hideous cold will . Blurghhh. Going to spend tomorrow resting, I am determined to beat this thing (even if stairs are a challenge today, wheeeze!).

nice to get all my calamities over and done with early, no?

and thank you flo and pottermiss! Ineed all the luck I can get right now!! X
28/01/2012 at 23:03
Welcome home!

On last week's marathon talk podcast they were talking about how it is better to have time out at the start of training or during taper instead of in the middle. You will be fine.
28/01/2012 at 23:37
Hello!

Can I join and introduce myself? Looking for friendly support and encouragement from others looking to do a first and/or slow marathon this spring!

I'm training for the Manchester Marathon on 29th April. It's my first marathon, previously I've run 2 10ks, and they were the furthest I'd ever run. I'm pretty slow, 10k best is 1.02.

I'm running on my own, and have been following begginners/get you round plans, I definitely want to run the whole way and would like to hit somewhere with a five in it.

Training has been going ok, I'm gradually upping the distance, but everywhere I look people seem to be doing longer long runs than me already. I'm worried that I'm a bit behind, but also don't want to ramp up my miles too fast and end up injured.

Pacing is also a bit confusing, as I run so slowly, that doing long runs at slower than marathon pace puts me 12+ mins per mile, which seems very slow. Do the same rules for pacing apply at the slow end of the spectrum? If I'm honest, most days I seem to run as I feel... Sometimes fast and sometimes slow!

I'm managing 3 runs per week, sometimes 4, and cross train on one day too. I have a toddler and a job, so between them that's about as much as I can manage!

Today I ran the furthest I've ever run, ever, at 12 miles, and managed an average pace of 11.18/mile. I'm pretty pleased with that and it didn't feel too bad either, although I couldn't have imagined going any further by the end :-0

I'm looking to hearing from you all if you'll have me,

Beck x
29/01/2012 at 09:36
Hi Rebecca! You're in the tight place. I've only done 10k's too, and today I can't even talk, let alone run, I'm all poorly. And I also like to cruise around at the 12 or 13 min mile pace!

I should be doing 10 miles today, sob...

thank you for the optimism though Bridget! I will cling on to that! But what is this podcast?? Sounds like I need to find it! X
29/01/2012 at 11:11

Hi Len - fluids, paracetamol/ibuprofen and rest for you!  Marathon Talk do a podcast each week all about marathon running.  I've only just started listening to it as I thought my iPod was full (Mr USB sorted it out for me when I threatened to put it onto his).  Comes out during the week, the one I listened to on yesterday's run had an interview with Haile Gebresellassie.  I'm finding it makes a change from music all the way, a bit like having someone talking to me but without the need to talk back.

Hi Rebecca.  If I tell you that I did my long run at an average pace of 11:22 yesterday and that I have run sub-4.30 for a marathon would that reassure you about the pace of your long runs.  Long runs ought to be at least 60 seconds slower than marathon pace and preferably more.  I know you've posted on Shades thread, if you let her have your 10K time she'll use a pace calculator to give you an idea of pace for training.  I know that feeling of just running how you feel but sometimes for long runs you need to pay attention to going slowly.  Are you using an ordinary watch or something like a Garmin?

29/01/2012 at 12:38
ohhhhh I need to find the podcast! Fab! Might keep me focused while I'm lay here doing nothing! How frustrating is being ill ??

Are you running today B? It looks perfect out there today, dry and cold!
29/01/2012 at 14:08

Dry, cold and a bit foggy here.  Glad I did my long run yesterday when we had patches of sunshine too.  I've done a recovery run this morning which was hard work.  Think I'm ok going out first thing on just a coffee but by mid-morning i ought to eat something!

Another thing from the Marathon Talk website is a challenge called Jantastic.  We had to sign up and say how many times a week we'd run in January.  You can get yourself into teams and I'm with Team Minni who are connected by one of last year's Forum 6 threads.  Today is the last day and having missed a couple of intended runs this week I had to get out today to hit 100% across the board.

I don't know about you Len but I'm really bad at being ill.  I keep going as long as I can and then get alll weepy and ratty.

29/01/2012 at 16:26
Take care and get well soon Len try not to worry you won't lose much with a few days sickness.
29/01/2012 at 22:06
Thanks for the advice and welcomes everyone!

Bridget, I think you're right about pace- I need to be a bit more disciplined now I'm heading into bigger mileage I think. I've used the RW training pace calculator to work out the paces I should be running for Long/easy/tempo runs and will try to stick to it as I put shades' plan into action! No point asking for expert advice if you don't take it, right?

That puts my next long run on Wednesday for 10 miles at 12.30-13ish min/mile, which I'm actually really looking forward to. I've definitely caught the bug...

Len- hope you feel better soon. I had 3 colds and a chest infection in January which tore a massive hole in my training- its sooooo frustrating! Definitely better to rest and go back to it fighting than wear yourself into the ground and get injured though.
30/01/2012 at 07:03

Hope that your blisters are healing well Len2! I had the same thing on a Business trip to Frankfurt. By the end of the day, my feet were so painful that I ended up walking barefoot!

@Sparkly Bridget - I've been considering Febulous as I've loved the January challenge on here. I'm also another convert to the marathon talk podcast. I find it easy enough to listen to and the interviews are very good

30/01/2012 at 11:56
Good morning! Well, I still can't talk, or breathe, but I have been to the shop. bought vit c and zinc tablets, fresh orange juice, fruit, cold and flu relief capsules, a big box of tissues which I had to open half way round the shop, an some Compeed plasters. Good job I'm married already innit? What a catch!

I'm starting to get to the annoyed and ratty stage now, B. I have THINGS TO DO!! I can see the clock going round, ticking down til April 22nd...it's taunting me!! Aarghhhhhh!

The good news is that blisters are now pain-free (spending all day in bed off my feet yesterday helped!) but although they're not full of fluid now, they still have skins (if you see what I mean?) so the potential to rub off and be sore so I'll stick the compeed on them and hope for the best!

Emmy, I have to go to Prague in the first couple of days of March too. Lesson learned - I will be wearing sensible walking shoes, no matter what the weather or occasion!! That's the end of me being handluggage-only (bodes well for the flight back via Amsterdam, doesn't it?!).

So, assuming this is using up my remaining "spare" week out of my schedule, we'd better hope for no snow and ice now, please!!

x
30/01/2012 at 13:58
God I hadn't thought if that- its been so mild this year you forget what happened last year and the year before. Heavy snow in February could really kibosh our training!
30/01/2012 at 17:43

30/01/2012 at 17:58
(((Len))) wishing you a speedy recovery.

This cold weather is not looking good for my half marathon on Sunday
30/01/2012 at 18:07

pops up from lurking........

ice grips were like gold dust last winter and some people were able to carry on running with them.  I've bought a pair in anticipation.  That means it probably won't snow so either way its a win:win

Get well soon Len.

I'd better go now, I should have gone swimming over an hour ago but the sofa has been too appealing.

121 to 140 of 1,200 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.