RW Forum 6 - Just Finish!

Sparkly bridget v Len2

141 to 160 of 1,200 messages
30/01/2012 at 18:09
I was hoping that would be the result when I brought OH a pair of Yaktraks!
30/01/2012 at 18:35

Yaktraks - thats the name I was looking for!  Thanks Bridget.  I bought some other type in the Mountain Warehouse shop which don't look as good as those yaktraks I saw last year.  Just couldn't remember the name. 

and yes I know, I know - swimming - before anyone says anything.

31/01/2012 at 09:57
good morning people! I don't think I will be running today . How do you know if you're well enough to try? I'm assuming my cough means it wouldn't be a good idea. Whimper! More vitamin c for me today.

its a challenge, this marathon lark, isn't it? I could spend every waking moment worrying about it one way or another! My mum rang me last night, they're coming to watch! Yippeeee!
31/01/2012 at 13:51
Len - when I caught a cold before Christmas I had a few days of not running. Then when I did run I did it slower so a wouldn't get out of breath and have coughing fit. Did need to take plenty of tissues thou.
31/01/2012 at 17:44

The general rule is if the cold is all above the neck then run but take it gently.  Below the neck = REST!

Sometimes if i have a bit of a cold I start to cough when running because of the post-nasal drip

31/01/2012 at 19:51
Started coming down with a cold yesterday evening so not gone club. It just too cold and I have to run there and wait for everyone to start running and then run home. It's a good decision as I feel crap now. Got a half marathon on Sunday as my long run, so will rest up until then.

Well done Bridget on your run
31/01/2012 at 19:53

Tracey's been checking up on me on Facebook

Which half are you doing?

31/01/2012 at 19:59
Doing Great Bentley half marathon. Never done it before.

31/01/2012 at 20:31
Len- rest up. I had a run of colds in December followed by a horrible cough. You do end up wondering if you should push yourself out, but I ended up having over a week off and it only took me a couple of runs to feel I was back on track. I think better to rest and head back out fighting than go out and have a dreadful run and run yourself down even more.

I had a crap day today so am resisting the urge to have a large glass of wine- long run tomorrow. Although its only 10 miles this week (before going up to 14 next week- eek!)
31/01/2012 at 22:14
hmmm.... Not feeling so bad tonight. If I feel ok tomorrow night I may try a plod out and see what happens. I am driving myself crazy! Is this what tapering feels like? I'm going to need locking up for my own good if it is!! I'm feeling really lardy after my Paris trip too, too many sweets and croissants! Maybe that one snail was a snail too many lol. I'm going to try and be more aware of my calories for a while...at least until my Prague trip .

going mad...going mad...going mad..... X
31/01/2012 at 22:26

Just a short and gentle plod if you do venture out Len

I brought some fab macaroons back from Paris.  Mr USB was going to make some today but he 'didn't get round to it' ;-(

31/01/2012 at 23:04
ohhhh I brought back macaroons too B! Hideously expensive but soooooooo nice! I'm not good at baking, or cooking at all really, leave that to Mr Len!

How far should short and gentle be?

31/01/2012 at 23:41
Mr USB is on a baking mission at the moment. I get homemade rolls with my lunch

How would 3 miles as slow ad you like sound? Walk any uphills. Sometimes I find that telling myself I can go slowly means it all goes better than expected.
01/02/2012 at 09:59
Homemade rolls?! Wow! Maybe I should buy Mr L a breadmaker for his birthday lol! Or would it make a suitable Valentine's gift?! Ha ha I can just imagine how impressed he'd be....

So, going slightly nuts this morning. I haven't run for a week, and I'm doubting myself. I CAN do this...right?? I WILL do this, it's just a cold, I'll live, it will all be okay...and repeat to self... I might spend the day reading running books and magazines, and maybe foam rolling, for fun. It's all going to be about injury and illness avoidance from now on!!

Oooh B - thank you for the compeed recommendation! I have no idea what sort of voodoo they put in those things, but they're marvellous! No pain or discomfort at all, and I can't even feel the plasters! How does that work?! I'm going to keep some in my bag at all times. Miraculous things!

How is everyone else doing? C'mon....distract me!!
01/02/2012 at 10:06

Compeed you say? Must get some myself! I have a lovely blister on the back of my heel after running in soggy muddy trail shoes on Sunday, when I didn't realise the lace had come undone. Doh!

Len - think of this as a lovely rest week. You'll come back more enthusiastic and raring to go. Honestly. And its good taper training as well. Hope you feel better soon

01/02/2012 at 10:29
Compeed is amazing, I've used it for years as a hiker, but in sure it'll come in very handy for running too if the dreaded blisters emerge...

Agree with Black & Tabby- if you're not running, try to enjoy the rest! Probably easier said than done, but you CAN do it, and you WILL be back on form quicker than you think!

I was supposed to me teaching medical students on my day off this mornibg, but none of them tunned up! So I'm just listening to women's hour while I digest my breakfast, then it's out for my 10 miles. Thermal leggings ahoy though- its flippin freezing!
01/02/2012 at 16:49

Tapering is much madder than that Len -

You won't know what do do with yourself, you'll get scared you'll get injured on the taper, you'll get scared you'll get ill the week before, you'll convince youself you have no right to be attempting a marathon at all, you'll probably get twitchy and possibly weepy and time will seem to slow down until you think the day will never come and you just want to get it over with ...

But it will all work out in the end  

01/02/2012 at 18:10

Evening

Len - you can and you will do this!  Altogether now ..................... Feck off cold

I found it quite hard when running very reduced mileage in Nov/Dec.  Weird getting in from work and not thinking of going for a run.   Eventually found myself doing strange things like turning up curtains!

We don't have a breadmaker, it is all done by hand.  Mr USB does keep eyeing up the breadmakers but I keep pointing out the space it would take up.

01/02/2012 at 18:16

Is it the gluten?  Can you get GF bread mix?  I'm a bit ignorant that way

Rebecca - (I think it was you with the med students).  We had one today who clearly wasn't expecting to need to get down on the floor with children.  Very nice knee high boots and short dress which I'm sure the chaps would have liked!

01/02/2012 at 18:16
I'm I the only one who's looking forward to the taper??? Any excuse not to run is welcome in my head. Had to force myself out today - feeling very smug that I did my requisite 7 miles today and studiously ignoring the fact that I failed to do the planned 4 yesterday. This consistency lark - sadly it's not really me

Hope the snot's soon not Len
141 to 160 of 1,200 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.