RW Forum 6 - Just Finish!

Sparkly bridget v Len2

161 to 180 of 1,200 messages
01/02/2012 at 20:03
Yes that was me Bridget (call me Beck- need to change my user name from the default imaginative one it's given me!). It never ceases to amaze me what kind of attire students will rock up to the ward wearing. It makes me think things like 'I'm sure nobody would have dared turn up lookin like that in my day'', which makes me feel very old and fogey like!

We have a breadmaker, but like you say cake, we dont use it half as much as we should. Very nice when we do get round to it though, maybe I'll dust it off this weekend...

Well done on your 7 miles DL. Is it freezing where you are too? I did my long run today (10 miles, I'm on an 'easy' week!) and it was beautiful but very cold. I put gloves on and everything. After being advised I'm doing my long runs too quick I made a conscious effort to slow down today. 11.45min:mile overall and I managed a negative split so hope that means I wasn't pushing too hard.

Len, hope you're starting to feel a bit better...
01/02/2012 at 22:19

DL - look forwards, not back

Becks - well done on the 10 miles, not easy to slow down when it is chilly.  Literally freezing here too.  Wore 3 tops plus a buff tonight and didn't get all that warm.  

Hopefully Len is having an early night

02/02/2012 at 11:10
Feck off cold indeed

I did take the dog out yesterday, Im not sure it was my best idea. Walked most of it, to be honest. But hey - I went! Does it count?!

Back to a sore throat and runny nose today. Blurghhh. Stupid cold. It had better go soon, I really am going nuts now. I've even started checking my work emails from home!! Crazy!!

I did have an early night last night though, got to half 8 and I decided I'd had enough of Wednesday, went to bed with my book. Ended up having some really weird running-related dreams!!
02/02/2012 at 12:57
Hello

Could I join in here please? Edinburgh will be my second marathon. I did 5:31 in London 2 years ago. I headed over to the sub-5 thread since I've got a HM PB of 2:18 but Vik's storming away and looks more likely to get a sub 4:30 than a sub-5! I'm not sure I care about my time right now. Yes I'd love to beat 5:31 and I think ultimately I might manage a sub-5 but I love running and all I want to do is to enjoy the training and do the best I can.

Looking forward to sharing with your journey, Len, if that's ok!

mitiog
02/02/2012 at 18:18

Hi mitiog   The more the merrier!

Len - if you aren't well enough to work then definitely not well enough to run but a gentle walk is good as long as you wrap up well

02/02/2012 at 19:07
Hi Mitiog, I've landed here too. Welcome!
02/02/2012 at 19:18
Hi mitlog Absolutely the more the merrier - although at the moment it's just a snot-fest! I'm actually feeling a tad better this evening. I have high hopes for the weekend and next week! Assuming I feel ok - where do I pick up again? I missed my long run last weekend (should have been my first 10 miler). But I had a week in hand still, so now I should be doing the 10 miles this weekend, and I have NO time spare at all - I'm now on schedule (well, I would be if I were running...). Still following me...?

I just looked at the weather forecast - ha ha ha ha! Is someone having a laugh? I wonder what the athletics track does when it snows...? Close? Hmmm.....

x
02/02/2012 at 20:45
I'd get a couple of shorter runs in before diving straight back into your schedule- you don't want to injure yourself going off and doing 10 miles when you haven't run for over a week and you've been ill. Maybe do a 3, then a 5-6, then go for the ten. If you're a week behind you're schedule it won't make a huge difference, maybe your longest run will be 18 instead of 20, but you'll still have weeks of training under your belt.

What does everyone else think?
02/02/2012 at 20:56
USB - I do believe thise is where you come in !

Thanks Len - not sure how you've managed it but I have a sore throat!

Managed a very chilly 4 where my hands nearly fell off. Away from home didn't pack gloves
02/02/2012 at 21:22

Len - can you email me a list of how the long runs go for the remainder of the programme?  I think Beck is right about not diving back in at 10 this weekend but we need to look at how the long runs go to decide how to play it later on.

I was a bit snuffly today but I blame the snotty kids at work.  Thank dog tissues aren't incuded in  the ordering embargo (yet)!

6 miles tonight, didn't feel as cold as last night but I think that was an absence of wind not that it was warmer

02/02/2012 at 21:26
oooh no DL, I hope I'm not passing on my cold on here! Must not virtually cough on anyone....... (I keep meaning to ask, is that your dog in your pic??).

so, I am going for miraculous recovery overnight, bit of a plod tomorrow night or sat morning (maybe at the track, no hills)...and no snow. Sorted!

03/02/2012 at 12:50
Hi Everyone!

Thanks for the welcome. I had my Bad Cold before Christmas so hoping to escape snotfest!

I did an easy 6 last night after a sort of easy 6 the night before. My Heart Rate said it was easy but the time at the end was very close to my 10K time last Dec so I'm really pleased that my fitness is improving. IT definitely wasn't a "race effort".

I've got a work meeting all day tomorrow so my long run will be 2 loops of town in the eve; I try and rest Sundays as I have killer speedwork session with club on Mondays.

Len hope you get back into your running!! Wrap up warm!
03/02/2012 at 13:15
I have emailed you B

Cor s'cold innit? I'm working my way up to fetching the kid from school later on!

BUT - in another declaration of serious intent (disregarding the snot issue) I have just booked my train tickets for marathon weekend. The cheap deals are available on the East Coast line, of anyone else is looking for any? Sorted. (eeep!)

03/02/2012 at 16:27

Glad your feeling a little better and nearly ready to get out there again...

Hi Mitiog!

03/02/2012 at 17:18

Len - now you need to sort out somewhere to stay

Len and I have been having an email discussion about long runs.  We'll let the thread know the decision soon

03/02/2012 at 17:25
Good luck Len - hope you're feeling better
03/02/2012 at 20:16
Evening all, and happy weekend!

I'm feeling quite pleased with myself for doing my threshold run tonight (5 miles, plus 2 for warm up/down). I was supposed to be doing my easy 5 but felt uncharacteristically energetic, so swapped my Friday and Sunday runs over (I do my long runs on a Wednesday). It felt really good to sort of 'let rip' after holding back on a series of longer runs I've done recently. Although my letting rip is most people's idea of a jog! Managed 10.50 over the 5 miles, split as a 10.26 for the first 3, and 11.02 for the last 2 (guess where the hill came in?!). But for a Friday night after a long week, I'm quite please with that. Chuffin freezing too- my nose was numb the whole way round and I even had a cold tongue!

Now I get reward pizza for dinner, and can look forward to the weekend with only an easy 5 to contend with (I love how marathon training changes you, I would never have referred to a 5 mile run as either 'easy' or 'just' 6 months ago!).

Hows everyone else's weekend looking? Snow forecast for Saturday night for a lot of the country I think- eek!

Looking forward to hearing the results of the long run discussion. Hope your still on the mend Len?
03/02/2012 at 22:53
I'm feeling lots better, thanks Bec

I managed 5 miles tonight, bit of walking, bit of stopping for nose-blowing purposes, but I actually felt better afterwards. Might have been just what I needed.

So, I am on snow watch for tomorrow, and I need to figure out what to do on Sunday, assuming that its not too icy, and that I survive the kids party I have to attend at 10am on Sunday .

I know what you mean about saying "just" 5 miles Bec, I thought that earlier!! Its all a matter of perspective isn't it??
03/02/2012 at 23:29
Yet Len! Well done on getting back out there- that's the hardest part.

Kids party on Sunday morning sounds energetic how old are the kids?

Good luck with whatever running you decide to do this weekend, even 'just' another five miles
Edited: 03/02/2012 at 23:30
03/02/2012 at 23:53
That's an early party.

Possibly a slightly longer one on Sunday but not too long?

I'm looking at the weather forecast and thinking that Sunday could be 'interesting'
161 to 180 of 1,200 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.