RW Forum 6 - Sub 5

Flat footed v Vik W

61 to 80 of 537 messages
21/01/2012 at 09:47
I'm with everybody else, I think Vikki should be capable of a faster mara time, but like we all know, theory vs practice can differ greatly

Good luck for Sunday Helen

I'm lucky that there's a parkrun within walking distance and one a few miles away, although my visits of late are few and far between

Hopefully 10 miles for me today, I say hopefully as should've done it Monday (LSR day) but ran yesterday and Thursday pre-dawn so unsure what I've got left in the tank.

Happy running all
21/01/2012 at 10:22

Crumbs  where have I been.

Apologies Vikki I have only just seen this thread. hearty congrats on being selected for this. As you know I am working elsewhere this spring summer so may not be able to get to Brighton to cheer you on. However if there is anything I can do to help then please let me know.   .... Don't over complicate things and run to your body.... somedays it says
"yes"I will let you run well and sometimes it say no you can't  that's what machines do....... look after them or they will break down....

Enjoy  the trip to Brighton start line...

21/01/2012 at 12:12

Come on Vikk the old gang is behind you now !!

21/01/2012 at 12:22

5 mile in 44 is around 9.15 pace...This is well above your MP and having just done a tempo run i don't see the point. How's the calf, if it's still tight then definatly bin that speed run. A steady state 6 will do you better then the fast five.

21/01/2012 at 12:27

The only thing that bothers me about next week is the order it's in

Fartlek..LSR.....MP....EASY

Maybe Fartlek...LSR...Easy.....MP??

Another option is to put some MP into your LSR....Today i ran 18 miles 0-6 steady at around 8.45m/m pace...the 7-12 i went to 8.15.....then back to 8.45 for 13-18.

I don't do this every run but at least once every 5 long runs i do.

Nice to see Gatton and a few ohters

21/01/2012 at 12:33
Remember that a schedule does not have to stuck to religiously, FairyE...set off for ten but cut short if your legs feel empty...if the session does not fit then change it guys...every year i sit and write my training out and make countless changes as life conspires to get in the way.
21/01/2012 at 12:55

11 miles d&d  I run/walk my maras & LSR and came in at 2:02 10 minutes ahead of the plan which I'm pleased about  my new regime of 4/30secs has replaced 4?1 and seems to be ok

I r/w because of dodgy knees

21/01/2012 at 13:04

Thanks for the good luck.  Race is at 11. Target pacing is 5 miles easy (12:00) 10 miles MP (11:15), meaning I ought to get round in 2:50 or so. Under 3 will do me, especially as it's been blowing a gale today and there's talk of a hill... In fact, two hills, seeing as it's 2 laps.

Is being lapped one of those rites of passage that you ought to experience once to be a real runner?

21/01/2012 at 13:10

Hello All!!

Waves to Gatton- my fellow olympian- well of the voulnteering sort anyway!!

Hello Rod glad to have you onboard!!

Hope your 10 is going/gone well FairyElephant!!

Spence  for coming in quicker than expect that's great news!!  now you can enjoy the rest of the weekend feeling smug that you've banked your long run!!  Hope the knees ok...?

Calf seems fine didnt feel it at all yesterday..... so think I'll go out for 6 steady miles tomorrow before work!!

Will shuffle next week around as think I'll do my fartlek on Monday as have to work Tuesday afternoon now and off to meet a potential wedding photographer in the morning so won't get chance to run.......Although depending on what prices she quotes the meeting might not be very long as some of the prices I've seen have far too many 000's on them

So if I do a MP run in the week FF could I still do a portion of the long run at MP or save that for another week where I don't have a MP run?

Enjoy your weekend everyone, I however am off to work

21/01/2012 at 15:20

Vikki......posted       afternoon now and off to meet a potential wedding photographer in the morning so won't get chance to run.......Although depending on what prices she quotes the meeting might not be very long as some of the prices I've seen have far too many 000's on them    

What my son arranged was for everyone to have throw away cameras to take what ever photos they wanted and that left the parents to take the family ones. Everyone sent the cameras to the bride to decide which photos she wanted. they came out great and saved a fortune....... just an idea..... Going to Wembley on 4th Feb.....

21/01/2012 at 17:52

I have been pointed in this direction by a lovely chap.....oh no hang on it was FF .  I am running Brighton....never done a marathon before and cacking my pants as per usual.  

I shall now read back and soak up all the advice that I know this will be packed with.

21/01/2012 at 20:06
Welcome Saffers..... what plan you following? You'll have a ball at Brighton, I found it much friendlier than London it'll be a fab first marathon!

that's a good idea gatton I will have a think around that idea..... anything to save a few £££s
21/01/2012 at 23:27

Hi VikW

I am a bodge it all together with bits and bobs sort of person and doing the Outlaw in July so trying to fit it in with the biking and running......I have a 14miler on my plan for my next long run.  Not run that far before so will see how that one goes.

22/01/2012 at 08:39
Outlaw !?
22/01/2012 at 12:27

Another  to Outlaw saffers!!!

Good luck with the 14miler- i'm sure it'll be great are you doing that next Sunday? I don't know how you guys find time to bike and swim!!!

Did you make it ot for your ride FF?

The crappy high winds round the country made me very late home from work last night- as we had planes and passengers stuck everywhere- 1am infact!  I woke up this morning with the beginnings of the lurgy thats going round work so I missed my run  but have dosed my self up with vit c and ocld and flu and hopefully will be feeling better later.....

Bit gutted as I missed runs last week and one this week but i guess that's like what FF said yesterday- life comes along and gets in the way.... but I'd rather be ill now than nearer the time!

So I think next weeks goal is to actually do all for runs;

Monday-5 fartlek

Wednesday- 16 LSR

Friday- 5 easy

Saturday- 4 Marathon Pace

What's everyone else doing this week?

Hope Helen hasn't been blown away at her race....

22/01/2012 at 13:24

14miler was this morning and done in a bit of a gusty way.  Advice from my mentor was to run it easy and not worry about the pace as I need to get the miles in my legs.  Was a bit of a hilly route and got a text from my training buddy as he had come down with the lurgy  so forced myself out on my own!!!!!  That took some doing, was tempted to go ride with hubby.  Managed a 10.21 pace without dying. Felt okay but was glad to finish.

Dose yourself up Vik and hope you feel better for the weeks training.

22/01/2012 at 15:08

Just popping in to say I'm back. It was extremely windy and, at times, very hard work. 2:46 ish. Proper report will wait until I've had a bath & eaten something (not necessarily in that order)

22/01/2012 at 15:44

So Suffers your now following me at the Outlaw and Brighton..not coming to London as well are you??

Looks like there was some good running there team..looking forward to the report HL.

Vik -fingers crossed it's not a cold coming...although as you say better it comes now then latter down the line.

I'm off all week so loads of baby jogger runs planned with my 11 month old monster...will look try for at least 10 miles a day with some quality short runs in the evening for some speed sessions.

Swimming....i knew i forgot something.....

Edited: 22/01/2012 at 18:14
22/01/2012 at 18:27
I intend to come and support and stalk you at London...yep.
22/01/2012 at 18:40

race report, care of blog.

general gist - got badly thrown by the wind & hills, ended up going too fast.

61 to 80 of 537 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.