RW Forum 6 - Sub 5

Flat footed v Vik W

101 to 120 of 540 messages
24/01/2012 at 08:08
Morning, waiting in for the Asda man before we can go out today.
24/01/2012 at 08:41

Morning. That's an exciting morning, FF  Buggy run again today? 

Vik - Yes, we've got theWii and fit board thingy. I wouldn't say that it's as good as going to the gym or to a class, but it's convenient. I'm also more likely to use that than I am to do some fitness work on my own. I did 45 minutes of exercise time (as opposed to waiting for it to do it's thing time). Mixture of step, hulahoop, some balance games (which are great fun). Certainly enough to work up a sweat. It's also got some strength type moves and yoga poses. I tend to use it once a week just to do something different without having to commit to a class or go to the gym. It has its annoyances, like not being able to increase the number of reps, you just have to do the set again. It also works as a set of scales, and can track your weight over time, allowing you to set goals and so on. It can be a bit patronising, and seems to talk tosh at times (gets posture and balance/control muddled, to my way of thinking).

24/01/2012 at 09:46

oooh might go and give my friends a try and see if I get on with it but it does sound like fun!

Hope the ASDA man doesn't keep you waiting too long FF!!

Might not get on later as will be rushing for work later as snatching lunch with other half after meeting the photographer as we've been on opposite shift for the last fortnight.... 

so will ask this now-  FF how should I tackle my LSR tomorrow- should I throw in some marathon paced bits or just take it nice and slow?

Edited: 24/01/2012 at 09:47
24/01/2012 at 10:05

Heh Vik- this is exciting, I may lurk too. Although I'm not running Brighton, my running partner is training for it and I am running a fair amount with him, although have no intention of doing all the long ones. Last year when he was training for VLM I managed to follow along by doing some cycling with him as well as running on the LSRs (Picture RunFatboyRun!)

Anyway, good luck with this all. Amazing stuff.

And waves to FairyElephant!!

24/01/2012 at 10:08

He's just been but now its tipping down here, so buggy run on hold, even i'm not that cruel that i would take the monster out in this weather.

14 miler Vik..Why not run 5 miles at MP+45 seconds, then 4 miles at MP +15 seconds then the last 5 at MP +45 again.

You still have a MP session this week, so don't feel you need to push it if you don't feel comfortable at the 5 mile point.

24/01/2012 at 10:12

wave to Foxy!!  I'm sure you'll get round to do a marathon sooner rather than later

its a bit rainy and dark here too FF- it's 16 miles tomorrow but I shall try and input the above into my garmin (now I know how to upload workouts) when I get home tonight from work!!

24/01/2012 at 10:13

Seeing that there are a few of us now setting goals either for PB's or target times, how about we list them on here?

A trick i used before the Outlaw last year was to write my target times for each part and stick them to places like the bathroom mirror or my goggles case for swimming. So just before i went out for any training i looked at the times and it gave me focus as to why i was dragging my self out the house at 0530 on sat when i could still be asleep.

It entirely up to you guys so don't feel you have to post.

24/01/2012 at 10:14

Flat Footed

Brighton 3.45
VLM         4.00
Outlaw    11.15

24/01/2012 at 10:15

16 miles..ok try 6.4.6 then...

Hi to FL too!

24/01/2012 at 10:21

Reading HM: sub 1:50 (yikes that is scary).

I feel such a wuss only having a HM (or 3) booked.  I did get the offer of a hooky place for Brighton but took some advice from a friend who was a serious marathoner in the past and he reckoned I was not in the right place for it at the moment, I would set ridiculous goals, end up injuring myself and be HORRIBLE to be around if I couldn't run.

It seemed sage advice. Mind you I am currently training much harder than my running partner who is mara training so what do ya know?!

Hi FF   It is only nice weather for ducks today. Not for small people in buggies.  Wasn't too bad when I ran first thing, was only just starting to rain at 6am.

24/01/2012 at 10:30

Flat Footed

Brighton 3.45
VLM         4.00
Outlaw    11.15

Foxy Lady

Reading HM: sub 1:50 (yikes that is scary).

Helen Liz

Brighton - finish! 5something would be magic.
Silverstone half. PB - 2:15 would be good.

Edited: 24/01/2012 at 10:31
24/01/2012 at 10:50

Helen Liz- I finally managed to go sub 2 last year, at Wokingham HM, scraped it for Henley HM (hideous evil hill and fell over!) and 1:54 over the fast flat new Maidenhead HM, so it is ambitious as RHM is busy and starts with a hill and has a hideous dull finish that I always dread, however you can but try!

Hence training 5 times a week and x-t too. Just have to avoid injury and asthma flares.

Is Silverstone multilap? I hate lap courses. Depressing as hell.

24/01/2012 at 10:56

Is Silverstone a lap race - Answer is somewhere between yes and no.   You do run round the site 3 times, but never over the same piece of tarmac in the same direction. Lap 1 is the track clockwise, then the infield and perimeter road anticlockwise, then the track anticlockwise. I liked it, but it was my first half last year. It has inclines, rather than hills, and can be very exposed if the weather's unkind.

Did my first lap race at the weekend. It wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. Long lap, 15 mile race and 2 laps. The hills on the second leg were higher than the first time round, and I got lapped.  But only by the leader, who set a new course record.

24/01/2012 at 12:12

I'm going to enter the Essex 20 in early march that is three laps...never thought i would be able to mentally stand lap races but the marathon stage of the Outlaw is 4 laps and it means you get to see your support more (or that was what i convinced myself anyway)

24/01/2012 at 12:21

FF could try this one as well.... a well organised race.

http://www.worthingharriers.com/worthing-20.php

24/01/2012 at 12:30
Looks interesting, the date works for me as well....cheers
24/01/2012 at 18:29
FlatFooted

Brighton 3.45
VLM 4.00
Outlaw 11.15

FoxyLady

Reading sub 1.50

HelenLiz

Silverstone sub 2.15
Brighton finish in something beginning with 5

VikW

Brighton Half 2.00
Brighton Marathon 4.30-4.45 would be bloody marvelous..... training permitting!

I'm really looking forward to doing my long run tomorrow with a bit of structure rather than just going out for a plod!

I hope the weather improves for me tomorrow morning.....
24/01/2012 at 20:18
Managed 7 miles in the drizzle, good luck with the LSR  Vik...if your not feeling it after 6 miles, keep it steady.
24/01/2012 at 20:57

My plan says 8 miles tomorrow  gotta shoe horn that in between coming home form work & kids coming home from school !

Dotty Dog will be coming for half of it !!

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/444580/Gallery/dd_cute_0.JPG

*she's much bigger than this now!!
24/01/2012 at 21:39

Someone's been creative with the punctuation, I see.

I ache like a very achy thing. Nearly didn't go to the club tonight, but dragged myself there. then we did spints and I hated every bliddy minute of it. Should have just headed out for a run. My back & hips hurt like buggery. Oh well, stretch time, I suppose.

101 to 120 of 540 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.