RW Forum 6 - Sub 5

Flat footed v Vik W

121 to 140 of 537 messages
25/01/2012 at 14:57

Top bombing Spence.

25/01/2012 at 16:00

Checking in now...

16 miles done and dusted in perfect LSR conditions here and I felt amazing  no soreness in the calf!!

first 6 avg 10.44

middle 4 avg 10.28

last 6 avg 11.03

No I know that it was a bit quick  but it didn't really feel like I was working that hard.... I will try and take it more steady next week!!

Well done evryone for getting out- especially Saffers if she went out at silly o clock I am not an early morning runner in the slightest

Off for a nice bath now- other half has offered to cook mexican this evening so I shall be recovering on the sofa stuffing my face!!!

25/01/2012 at 18:29

Good running Vik, sorry for being a pain but if you get a chance can you list the split for each mile please.

Popping on the turbo for a bit now

Enjoy the Mexican you have earned it today.

25/01/2012 at 18:46

Yep of course- I can't seem to get them split by split off the garmin site as I uploaded the run as a workout so garmin just have the avg for each phase but sporttracks seem to still be able to read the miles so sorry for the long list

1. 10.31

2. 10.49

3. 10.21

4. 10.25

5. 10.43

6. 11.16 - gel taken,  I ease off a bit when taking one otherwose i get a bit

7. 10.15

8. 10.11

9. 10.44

10. 10.27

11. 11.11 another gel

12. 11.33

13. 10.16

14. 9.55

15. 11.16 another gel- didn't really need it but thought i'd best get used to them again

16. 11.01

there was a lot of mud on the tow path section of my run about mile 9-13 and its a sort of gravelly surface with huge puddles and uneven- my pace always seems to dip here as I struggle to stay upright in places and that is why I think 14 is so quick as it's back on level pavement!!

Have fun on the turbo FF!!

25/01/2012 at 20:04

*salutes*

reporting for duty sirrah!

10 miles done. 5 miles easy, 1:01:06, 5 miles MP, 54:35.

Feel loads better than I did last night. Food & bed is the order of the evening.

25/01/2012 at 21:02

Them's is some top times HL.., how did you feel after the MP stage?

Vik - the interesting part is the gel miles, if you have to slow on all the gel miles by 30 odd seconds this needs to be factored into your race pace.....however as your turning into a training goddess at the moment i don't think we will be worrying about the odd minute just yet..

Right, i've turbo'd into a puddle of sweat, so shower and bed for me, sleep well team and remember recovery tights are proper sexy to wear to bed...(Mrs FF does not agree on that last comment)

25/01/2012 at 22:35
Flat Foo.ted wrote (see)

*waits with clip board and stop watch for long distance runners to report in*

I know Saffers joined the early bird runners this morning (as she told the whole world on FB and Twitter) and Maddie and i have jogged 7 wet miles again, so where is everyone else today.......

She did indeed. There is a first for everything.  It takes her a while to get on here after work and it doesn't help going straight to the pub either.

Nice running you lot. 

Great miles Vik.

25/01/2012 at 22:36
FF.....perhaps a pic of you in your recovery tights so that we can all have a say and not just the wife . Just saying.
26/01/2012 at 00:13

Fab running Spence! 

Well done for getting out this morning saffers and even more well done for going straight to pub after work- good effort

Helen- great running, hows the hip feeling?

The whole gel thing I think might just be habit because someone during my first marathon training told me to.... I don't know why that little piece of advice has stuck with me maybe I'll try next week not slowing down and see if the world ends   or not

Night all- I'm hoping to get up in time for a swim before my late shift tomorrow!

26/01/2012 at 09:14

Felt OK after the MP, actually. I've got into my head that MP is much much faster than easy, so set off at the transition at 10:30s. ooops. Slowed up thereafter. At easy I feel like I could run all day (poetic license allowed). Am finding MP hard to hit, it ought to be 11:15, but I keep drifting up to nearer 11:00. At which point I do feel like there's a limit to what I can do, but 5 miles certainly wasn't it. Stopped because that's how far I had to go, rather than that was as far as I could go.

Hip's feeling better. Yoga tonight (after 5 miles) so that'll give it all a good contort.

In training I've slowed to a walk to take the gels, just for 30 seconds. Tried running through them on Sunday, and it just felt a bit strange. Drinking from a cup was more of a problem than taking the gel though. Thinking about moving to a more liquid gel, as they're an easier texture.

Oh, *swit swoo* I'm sure the recovery tights deserve it  

26/01/2012 at 11:01

You need to get your nutrition sorted early, what gel do you use at the moment HL? SIS are one of the few that are not designed to be taken with fluid....Gels from Lucozade, Gu, Powerbar are all meant to be taken with fluid and take some practice.

If slowing works then lets not look to change it, I can run and take a gel but in triathlons i oftern walk through the aid stations to give myself more time to take on food/fluids.

re your pace it's funny how just 15 seconds a mile faster will make a difference in the latter stages...this is often an mistake people make in races, set of to fast but feel fine till 18-21 miles then bang huge blowout.

I always say its easier to make up for a slow start then recover from going too fast too early. I often get dropped by my running group only to pass them in the last few miles of a race.

Maddie and i have jogged 9 to the town and back to post a parcel...an afternoon of stretching i reckon. I wish i had the time to get into a yoga class or pilates.  I know the benefits of them but can't fit it in at the moment.

Hope the swim recover works Vik

26/01/2012 at 12:17

hmmmmmmm well got the gym to find the pool closed  but there were no signs on the door so only realised once I got changed, walked out to the pool and it was strangely empty with a tiny notice on the door  so got re changed and came home and did my core workout dvd!!

Helen I used SIS gels last year and the year before but have now changed to GU ones as I think they taste better.... especially the chocolate one- if only they;d invent a chocolate orange one I'dbe in race nutrition heaven!

Enjoy your afternoon FF... I'm off to finish the housework listening to the new Marathon TAlk Podcast befor eheading off to my late shift!

26/01/2012 at 12:44

I've tried High5 citrus in both gel and isogel form. The gel tastes OK, but the whole having to take water with it seems overly complicated. I've had a few of the isogel (no liquid required - twice the volume and ~ same calorie content) and they go down a lot easier.

I know what you mean about starting slower & catching people - did that at my last half and 15 mile on Sunday. Does give a nice confidence boost later on, especially if you've been rather lonely at the back at the start

26/01/2012 at 20:55

Just had a lovely blast round the countryside in the dark on the mountain bike, starting to turn chilly again now though.

HL - reminds me of a t-shirt i have seen "it rude to count people as you overtake them - out loud"

Hope the late shift are behaving themselves Vik.

Been given a list of job i have to do tomorrow...we'll see......

27/01/2012 at 12:55

Afternoon- just rushing in before work as overslept but managed to bank my run

5 steady miles- felt really good but a bit over dressed as it was freezing here yesterday but its actually warmish here today so there really wasn't the need for long tights/long sleeved shirt and jacket....

split 10.01/10.15/10.37/10.07/10.31

I am late onto an early tonight so might not get back on as its minimum sleep time tonight but heading the gym straight afterwork for my marathon pace run

FF- hope you're working your way through that list

WAves to everyon else!!

27/01/2012 at 13:09
*waves back*
27/01/2012 at 13:39

Vik - Ah the joys of a quick change over...

Nice running again, i know what you mean about the temperature, just ran 5 and have melted in to many layers.

Got a stupidly early LSR in the morning 5.45 but have a wedding to go to in the afternoon and if i am to run at all i need to get it out of the way.....trying to keep my pace at 8.45s for it.

So what is the target MP then Vik -10.15?

Come on lurkers time for some of you to join us....were friendly...promise

27/01/2012 at 16:32

Afternoon....lurking here.  Rode this morning and had planned an hours run this afternoon but got a long hilly ride tomorrow so opted for not running.

You are gonna have to excuse my daft questions but having not run long miles before, how do you work out your MP.  My long run on Sunday went okay but I didn't think about the pace, just ran an easy pace for me.....which was slow.  I am running much the same this Sunday but with my training buddy (if he has got over the manflu) and he is a much faster runner than myself, also doing Outlaw, and he runs slow for me but I speed up for him....probably not the best way to train but good company.  I love training in company best.

27/01/2012 at 18:09

It's ok call off the search party we've found Saffers.

Your right that running your longer runs faster then you want to won't help..if your not careful you'll get injured Saff. think of the long game..Outlaw is your A race not Brighton.

Right telling off over

MP should be just out of your comfort zone. An easy run for me is around 8.30 my MP is around 8.00, i try and regulary fail to run my LSR at 8.45's to give you an idea of what you should be looking for.

Stick up the splits from your last few runs and we'll have a look for you.

27/01/2012 at 18:24

I know my A race is not Brighton but having never run a marathon, I am struggling with the concept of using it as a training run but everyone keeps telling me off!

Okay....my last few runs:

3m run..... 9.17, 9.09, 9.03

14m .....9.41, 9,52, 9.45, 10,25, 10,12,10,12, 10.22, 10.26, 10.17, 10,21, 10.42, 11.00, 10.16, 10.29

3m..... 9.37, 9.15, 8.49

6m.... 10.32, 10.05, 10.25, 10.46, 10,02, 10.03,

Right, will that do?  I am one of those that tends to just go run and let the legs do whatever. Non structure I like to call it.

I have a few competitive friends that see me out running and comment, "Oh looks like you were going slow."  So would they if they had just biked 30 miles....LOL.  A fair few of my runs are straight off the bike.

121 to 140 of 537 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.