RW Forum Six - 3.30

Shaggy v Gazelle

2,801 to 2,820 of 3,133 messages
29/07/2012 at 22:08

FF nice to hear from you,what have you been up to?

Juggler glad you had a great wedding, keep us up to date with the next one.

Shaggy how was your bike ride?

Scuba Trooper    pirate
30/07/2012 at 10:43

Thanks everyone it was a great weekend off running with a fantastic group of people. Bring on TR24 2013! 

Edited: 30/07/2012 at 10:45
30/07/2012 at 16:27

He Team !!!! , it sounds like a fantastic weekend for you all and the bonus must have been the number one lady delivering you all a nice new pair of shoes. What a star she is.

Do post yor reports if you get time after catching up on your sleep, and it would be great to see some team pictures as well. is there a total distance that you all ran together.

I had a tough weekend as well, although not 24 hours of constant running though
But 56 hilly miles and over 6000ft of climbing on the bike with lots of it at 15-18% incline and some up to 21% but made even harder by not fitting the right gears and having to grind my way up the steep climbs and then I 17 miles ran yesterday so pretty knackered all the same.

30/07/2012 at 17:47

26 laps run by the team Shaggy, so 260 km. I think the incline was 150-175m per lap, so A lot.

Gazelle was top lady on the 60m climb by a mile - 5 seconds is a phenomenal amount, maybe 5-10 metre Usain Bolt type gap? Olympic potential with those children surely.   Also great to see Speed Sheep running well.

Your cycle sounds like fun. And running, nice to see.

Photos to come. Some fantastic ones... seriously you have to count the big smiles on people, its that sort of event. I don't know why Brol sometimes has a bit of pessimistic view - huge big beaming smile every lap. Was lovely to see.

Report to come. I'm still buzzing..

Scuba Trooper    pirate
30/07/2012 at 19:44

Hope everyone is feeling good today and no serious issues other than sleep and fatigue.

FRC - is Mikes Hamstring ok?

SS - No issues with the calf/shine I hope.

God I'm still tired and hungry (always hunger maybe not to do with TR24) but no injuries just a little calf tightness. A good stretch and foam roller session tonight and a ruin tomorrow and everthing will be back to normal.

Went to a shop to try on the Adizero XT 4, tried an 11 which is my normal trainer size for Brooks and they felt tight across the foot from little toes to ball. They didn't have an 11.5 in the shoe or any other Adizero in 11-1.5. Not sure which size to go for now, may have to go to another shop tomorrow.

30/07/2012 at 22:04
Hello everyone. Phew what an amazing weekend!!! It was great to meet everyone at last. I was absolutely shattered last night and slept like a baby. Mr B is still proudly wearing his medal at home and is super keen to do more laps next year. I woke up with slight DOMS which I blame the hills for but nothing major. Nice 6m easy run today and hopefully ready for my quality session tomorrow.
I must say I wasn't initially too keen on the 3am graveyard shift but it ended up being the highlight of the weekend. I absolutely loved running in the dark in the woods!
Gazelle- thank you again for being such a star and winning us the shoes!
SSheep- it was so good to see you running and enjoying it.
Thanks everyone for a great weekend. I'm in for next year if you are
31/07/2012 at 09:27

Hello all!!  Speed Sheep returning to the fold 

I've had a bit of a technology break over the past few weeks of our holiday but am now back on the forum.  I guess I have a little bit to catch up on 

What a weekend!!!!!!!!!  To be honest, I didn't really expect to run, I just thought the niggle would get back into full-on injury.  But it didn't!!!  It was superb to be part of such a brilliant team, both runners and supporters.  I was so proud to be able to put in a couple of 10ks much faster than I thought I'd manage off the back of 3 1/2 weeks of running!  Just goes to show how much team support helped, especially at the 9km point.  And to walk away from the experience one pair of funky trail shoes up, well, what can I say except GAZELLE YOU WERE!!  Oh, and with the can of Adidas deodorant I just found at the bottom of my goodie bag.  What more could a girl ask for? 

Can't wait for next year.  OH is also making noises about taking part.  Hmm, this could be an interesting smack down!!!  It would be brilliant for him to have a goal to work towards as it might make him focus.  I shall be encouraging him gently for the next 360ish days!!

I had a day off yesterday but am going to go for a recovery 45 mins today, if I can bear to tear myself away from the Olympics.  How exciting was the men's gymnastics yesterday???  Let's hope the women can do similar today!

Right, time for a bit of study before hitting the country lanes.  Have a good day everyone 

31/07/2012 at 10:16
Great to see you running well SS.

You all took some convincing at the time when I suggested TR24 too !

24 hours after and it's ... Next year not with a question mark but for definite.

It was so good though, wasn't it? I said nighttime was meant to be special but wow. Whole weekend.

I'm in for next year.

Deb wants to run next year, just 2 laps, annoyed since a friend in another team we knew had a runner pull out on Friday and never said so only had 7 not 8 on their team. They even came over for cake on Saturday afternoon. Would've been easy to nip across.

So pretty sure with Speed sheeps OH we could have 2 teams? Got at least 5+ pals also up for it.

Will see Mike tonight at club speed session, check on his hammy. Sure it's fine. He told me he doesn't stretch, never foam rolled or knows how to. Told him to do reverse plank. Blank look Top guy though, so solid, reliable.

Oh, and I enjoyed it so much I started looking at other similar events...tee hee.
31/07/2012 at 22:27

Wow, I've just been catching up on all that's been going on whilst I've been on my technology break!  Apologies if I miss anyone out on the below:

Shaggy, great to see you coping with your injury.  Sounds like some great cycling from you   Let's hope the next couple of months bring some welcome healing.  My leg's doing well, a bit niggly but having discussed with the TR24 bods, we think it may just be some shin splints rather than the old injury flaming up again.  I will keep an eye on it, but all seems OK following the weekend's running.

Gazelle and Juggler, what brilliant PBs you both have!!  You both really deserve it, well done you.  You've worked so hard on all aspects of your running so it's not surprising the results you've gained.  And really well done on the 'mental' side of racing.  It is so good to know that when you need it, you can dig in and overcome.  Gazelle, loved that quote on your computer!!

Brolish, so sorry to hear it didn't quite go according to plan.....  But a good learning experience as you say, and you know that you'll pull the time back in a couple of weeks.  I am so like you, speed just drops away so quickly when I'm not doing the repeats.  But if it was easy, it wouldn't be worth fighting for 

FRC, sounds like your training is consolidating nicely.  Are you doing Chester in the Autumn or is it some other marathon?   Or were you undecided?  I can't remember!  Anyway, your base of fitness is amazing so I can't wait to hear how you go in your next effort!

Scuba, loving the Real Relay!!!  That is so inspirational, I'm so glad you got so much out of it.  It's really nice when you feel like something you have done contributes in some small way to our nation's Olympic effort   Btw, I watched the opening ceremony again with my folks last night and it was much more impressive the second time without the awful karaoke from the campsite next door 

Sundance, it was brilliant to put a face to the name!!  I hope you enjoyed the rest of the TR24, we loved it and will definitely be back next year.

Blimey, there was so much to take in I'm sure I've forgotten to mention loads of things.  It's not deliberate, just my poor brain hurts after a long day at the books (while keeping an eye on the sporting action, of course )

01/08/2012 at 09:24

Morning all, I think I have finally caught up with my sleep I'm still buzzing from the weekend, I keep thinking I must write a report on the experience but then I'm not sure where to start.

I went to my running club on Monday night and two members are up for the solo running next year( one was due to do it this year but had other commitments) and 3 other members were interested in the team event, I did say that I'm already spoken for and am happy to stay in the Gazelle team

Onto running, Hubby got home from work late last night and we had to go straight out to a friends leaving drinks, I made my excuses to leave at 8pm stating that I had a 10mile run to do (most of the people at the drinks were runners) and to my shock 99 percent of them told me that I should not run at that time of night, Should switch off from running after 8pm, it wont harm having an extra rest day ect. These comments made me even more determined to go for the run.

I started the run at 20:41hrs and did the following which I am quite pleased with:

10miles @ 8:44, 8:16, 8:01, 7:36, 7:32, 7:28, 7:29,7:30,7:25, 8:44   Today I have a 7mile slow run, bring it on!

P.s Should hopefully be putting the shoe order in today, we are all size 6's aren't we

01/08/2012 at 09:36

Yippee results are in, our team came 46th out of 188 teams, not bad hey

01/08/2012 at 12:17

Whoop whoop excellent result!!

Gazelle- well done on your evening run and well done on not listening to those 'runners'.  Obviously they're not as committed as you are!

I had a good session yesterday.  3m easy to steady/ 1m @ MP/ strides/ 6x (0.5m @ 7:25-7:35/ 0.5m steady)/ cd.  Kept all the faster 0.5m repeats at around 7:15-7:20 so happy with that. Ended up clocking up just under 13m.  12 easy planned for tonight.

My total mileage for July was 247 so slowly getting back to where I like to be

01/08/2012 at 12:36

yes, 46th pretty good I thought. there is no distinction whether you have 6,7 or 8 in your team. 5s are different category.

I'm sure we could get 2 teams for Thunder Run, setup a big camp and then save wasting food by pooling resources? BBQ had loads left. I know a few people up for it also, Missus FRC was our reserve and runs 20-30 miles a week.

Could do 2 teams of 6-8? then some people get their 5 laps if wanted (Mike!). His hamstring is fine also.

Stats look good RE the running after 8pm, probably what they were getting at was, body temperature to cool down, you to recover and also food to digest, then prepare body for sleep?

Running after 8.40, you'd be in at say 10-10:10, food is meant no less than 3 hours before sleep, exercise no less than 3-4 hours I remember reading. Did you sleep okay? I've had problems with this once or twice being wide awake at 2am finishing at 9pm and not finishing eating by 10pm.

Speed session for me last night, 10 hills of hill. Tough run but all fine. works out about 5 miles. Chatting to Mike and others, pushing each other on. Could've gone up with the fasty group but didn't want to go near max speed on tired legs.

and yes, I'm going to write a report but its taken a bit to settle in. the one in the Thunder Run thread by happychap or whoever is good. (Gazelle has seen this).

Have a read here

01/08/2012 at 12:37

PS. we need to sign you both up for the Runners World/ Fetch competition.

Especially Brol.  247! km ?

01/08/2012 at 13:44

Competition??? ok I'm in, let me know what I need to do

Brolish like the stats on your run yesterday, good luck with today's 12!

Nice new name FRTC

I was a good girl yesterday, I had a big meal at lunch then my evening meal was a sandwich at 5pm followed by a banana and malt loaf at 7pm.

You should of given us a shout ref extra food hubby was starving on the Sunday! I hope the bbq's didn't go in the bin

01/08/2012 at 13:55

FRTC- lol, no it would be miles!!! I'm a serious runner, remember?

Gazelle- there was quite a bit of meat left, not sure if it got chucked in the end. Both bbqs were claimed from what I can remember. 

01/08/2012 at 17:42

Yes, FRTC for a bit. Why the hell not

Brol I knew it was miles... . Its Gazelle who gets mile/km pacing confused

There has been a monthly website since December, you can log your miles and be on a particular team, which has been North/ South, Brown / Red Sauce, and various other question type things. Me & Mr Puffy were having a little mileage content for awhile, where is he by the way?

Originally it was a healthy get through Dec & Jan thing but has carried on. The last two months its been RW against Fetch.  Fetch won June, RW July.

Can always do with some high mileage people like everyone here. Link to follow, or do a search for RW/ Fetch.

RE: food, there were burgers and sausages being reheated by some on Sunday, but I was ready with bacon & eggs, use up all the things we had left. Most were packing up so stoves went away. I got a BBQ also

Scuba Trooper    pirate
02/08/2012 at 12:26

Brolish - great picture of you http://www.robcrayton.co.uk/adidastr242012.htm of from the weekend. Great running this week already.

Gazelle - well done on your late evening run.

FRTC - Taking is a little easy for once, good on you.

6 miles (8:50mm) on Tuesday evening and hour and half in the gym Wednesday morning, ready fior a tempo run this evening, still a little tight in places but that might be the gym not the weekend. I still don't think I've caught up with the sleep yet but thats what having 2 young kids does to you.

I'm certianly up for TR24 or simular next year and maybe even in a team of 5.

Edited: 02/08/2012 at 12:29
02/08/2012 at 12:41

10 hills of Hell is taking it easy? Actually it is.. I'd usually do 4 mile "warm up" before.

Need a few days slightly lower effort after the weekend for me. I had a massage yesterday, thought I was okay, but definitely a few niggles but all ironed out. Anyone else?

Speed/ strength session last night though. Some big weighted back squats and trap dead lifts. Phew. tough. Also reactive jumps.. ie. Tigger practice. I can bounce quite high now.

Proper link for Brolish is here.. new forum is a pain with links. I just do them manually now.

I wonder why the photographer picked Brol... no idea.

Scuba, yes, for next year.. I was after 5 laps, mike too. We could have 2 teams and one big camp pooling all resources? Two of up to 8? or a 6-8 and a 5 so OHs can run.

Edited: 02/08/2012 at 12:46
02/08/2012 at 13:45

Thanks for the link ST and FRTC.

FRTC- am I detecting a hint of jealousy?

I've heard about the Fetch/ RW competition.  Not sure I can be bothered logging my miles in one more place... I currently log them onto Garmin Training Centre, Fetch and then still need to transfer them to the spreadsheet I fill in for the coach.  It's getting a bit too much!

ST- nice session and good luck with the tempo tonight.  How many miles are you planning and what pace?

FRTC- well done on the hills and another monster gym session.

Gazelle- what's in store for the rest of the week?

Rest for me today and the first 20m of this campaign on Saturday so that on Sunday I can watch the ladies' marathon with SSheep.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.