RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

21,201 to 21,220 of 37,465 messages
05/10/2012 at 22:29
Daren - that worries me slightly. I've never had the best experiences on desk flat courses. Me likes a bit of variety! I don't think sub 1:30 will be on for me unless I lose half a stone next week.
05/10/2012 at 22:30
Hmm. Berlin tempting. Also tempted to a date with O4S at Rotherham 50 miler. Am I young enough ?

Minni nice session. V fast. When is the joint Daren/ Minni half ?

WTF ! I'm doing an ultra tomorrow? I thought it was a 5 course cake pudding club with transport in between each place. Oh. I'm the transport. Off for sleep. Will post when (fingers crossed) safely back. 9am start so hopefully 4-5pm.
05/10/2012 at 22:31
Desk flat?! I mean dead flat! Saying that I'm willing to be a bit risky and set off at that pace and see how long I can hold one. Nothing to lose really.
05/10/2012 at 22:44

Definitely worth a go based on that session I'd say Minni. How tough did it feel?

I love dead flat courses  You can just settle into a rhythm so much more easily.

FRC, it's next Sunday. Freemers and Spoons are doing it too.

05/10/2012 at 23:04

Erm, I hadn't checked the pace of the MP mile and that came out much faster than I would have expected based on the effort, so a good start.  The first mile of HMP had a long gradual decline stretching about half a mile (so was going to feel easier) and I turned at the end of this so mile 2 had the incline.  I didn't check my garmin until I was about three quarters the way up and was surprised to see I was still well under 7 m/m, so this gave me a huge boost.  The rest was more or less flat (Freemers it was on the route we did last weekend). 

This will make you laugh though.  I hadn't really been checking my garmin that much and I was about a third into mile 4 thinking it was feeling quite easy when I checked and it read 7:11!  Neither wonder it was feeling easy so had to put the foot down!!  The last mile felt hard, partly because it was near the end but also because it had got really dark and I didn't feel comfortable being on the road without a torch, also the couple of stops for traffic meant I was then playing catch up.  However, I figured this was good for sprint finishes!

I don't feel as if Iv'e done enough at that pace to know if I can carry it through but I think if everything else is right on the day then a PB might be there.  I'd be happy with that.

06/10/2012 at 00:59
I was having a lovely time dancing and then they turned the lights on and told everyone to go home

Hi Pottermiss
06/10/2012 at 06:14

Was your dancing that bad?

I'm up early since I'm on registration for our local Sportive this morning (you know one of those bike rides that not a race - can't see the point personally! )  We have 300 entrants, the maximum, and they are in for a treat because its going to be a stunning day.  There's also a 2 day mountain marathon starting from here this morning.

06/10/2012 at 06:45

Simon -  Even though my running is getting better I don't think I am in PB shape.

Carrot - Cheers for the info, do they require a med certificate?

Minni -  Good quick running on your session, you be careful I've nearly been hit a couple of times in daylight down country lanes.  My race is a 10:30 start. You can say desk flat if you want, makes more sense than dead flat.

Good luck to all racers.

Dubai Dave    pirate
06/10/2012 at 08:00

Morning

Lets start the day off with a race report

Dubai Desert Road Run 10K.

I hadn't done this one before so had no idea what to expect. A bit early in the season to expect too much as still 30C+ and I hadn't exactly tapered for it. Did my normal 3K warm up, all parts working and lined up about 3 rows back from the front behind the inevitable guys in Bermuda shorts, chubby people with MP3 players going at full blast and 5 or 6 very tall thin Africans.

The hooter sounded and I elbowed my way through the folks who casually walked right from the start and set off in pursuit of the lead pack. First K came up in 4-00 oops better slowdown, tucked in behind the 2nd and third lady and went into cruise control, 2nd K came in  4-17 which was more like it and I sat behind the girls while they each kicked trying to drop the other one. It was a two lap course so through halfway in 21-19, feeling very comfortable. On the second lap I began to notice that it was getting rather warm but stayed steadily between 4-15 & 4-20 min/K's, I noted that my club mates who were chasing me were falling back and I stayed with the 2nd lady when she finally managed to drop the other girl. A quick sprint down the finish shoot and a 42- 24 finish. 

So negative splits which was good & a feeling that I really hadn't gone nearly as hard as I could have. Ah well its only 37 seconds off my PB from this running life and it was warm so hope to be better at the next 10K in three weeks.

Finished 27th overall and 1st M50, been a while since I won a running race.

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/45388/gallery/img_4271.jpg?width=350

Bling to prove it.

Hopefuly that has set the tone for a successful forum weekend.

06/10/2012 at 08:12

DD - awesome bling. Congratulations on a great 10k 

Thats a great start to the weekend.

I'm hungover  and I ache

06/10/2012 at 08:13
Morning all - hooray sunshine and no rain ..it's going to be an exciting weekend here
Minni- brilliant session ...getting speedier at the right time. After that any thoughts on a HM pace you're going to go for? After my 10 k training run yesterday I felt that 6.55 is doable. Pity I'm not doing one. There's a lot going on around your way. Who said the Brits don't get involved in sport enough. They just need to look at Minni town......now go and do that swim !
Simon- I've emailed the organisers who said it should be ok to sign up on the day. After all its more cash for a charity. If not its probably for the best and I will treat it as a proper 12 mile LR
FRC- enjoy the cake...and the ultra
Berlin is a must do marathon for anyone looking for a pb and let's face it there aren't many here who aren't. When registering put a fast anticipated time to get a pen near the front as possible as it was congested. My first mile took over 8 mins though it did stretch out afterwards.
Getting our new kitten today. Well how else do you fill a rest day . Pigs arrive weds all being fine now we have an agricultural holding no. My father will be proud I'm following in his welly steps. Taper madness !!!!
06/10/2012 at 08:17
DD- another winner on this thread. Excellent stuff. Well done. Minnis horror session sharpened you up perfectly. Did you beat the 2 nd lady? Best bling yet.
Dubai Dave    pirate
06/10/2012 at 08:35
2old finished on 2nd ladies heels
06/10/2012 at 09:03
DD awesome silverwear, congrats!

Good luck to all the racers this weekend, going to be exciting reading all the race reports
06/10/2012 at 09:25
DD- great 10k and very close to the pb! Many congrats
06/10/2012 at 10:04

fab effort, DD - we lurrrve bling on here . Brilliant way to kick off a weekend of great racing for our thread.

Minni: fantastic session - bet you were glad when it was done. Still amazed at your HMP ...  fingers crossed for a PB and a sub 1:30

Carrot wrote (see)

Chick don't think about past marathons, think about this one. You're going to be brilliant

damn right, carrot!

Hi pottermiss and great to see USB back on here

OK, so Bremen starts at 9:45 German time, that's 8:45 for you guys. My number is 1017 but they don't have live tracking. It's only 1000 people doing the full mara. About 3000 each are doing the 10k and the half. I hope they organised it better than last year when we hit masses of really slow HM runners (2 hr plus) at the 16 mile point ...  I remember how that threw me right of my pacing .

Weather forecast not too bad now - 14 degrees, sunny and breezy but not too windy.

Minni, will text you my time when I'm done so you can post it on here .

Good luck to all the other racers, especially Becs and Gazelle.

06/10/2012 at 10:06

tempted by Berlin 2013 ...     but also tempted to try and get faster in 2013 and leave marathoning for a while. Then start with Comrades prep in the autumn .... decisions, decisions

Scuba Trooper    pirate
06/10/2012 at 10:17

Dubia Dave - great start to the weekends racing, love the bling.

Good luck all the other runners this weekend. Particlualry the A race runners. Don't Be Shit.

I going to get out of the house for a decent walk today, 1-2 miles depending how I feel.

Edited: 06/10/2012 at 10:17
06/10/2012 at 10:59

DD - Fab trophy! Presumably, coming from Dubai, it is hand-crafted in platinum and 48 carat gold by Sheikh Mihandy's personal goblin army of trophy makers, and that is actually a grimace on your face due to the weight of the aforementioned ???

Alternatively, i may still be suffering the after effects of last night's gallon of wine!

Having not run a step all week, a slow 5 mile attempt for me today that will hopefully not end in another injury.

06/10/2012 at 11:03
I'm having a meltdown. Mr B's garmin decided to pack up while mine is still being replaced. Panick
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.