RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

21,361 to 21,380 of 36,999 messages
09/10/2012 at 17:35

Chicka - I love that feeling you're having right now.  When you spend hours analysing all the available data and it all tells you the same thing - you did fantastic!  Enjoy it. Great pacing.

Redders -  Glad to hear you're on the mend.  Stick with it.

2old - I read your post about the weather and did a for you.  Then read further down and about the GER weather reports and completely forgot I'm racing too!

YM crew, I'm thinking about the drinks station.   One of my friends (O4S Pam - she's doing the RR so not running the TM... lightweight!) is marshalling so we could have 2 stations, meaning we'd hit one every 2.75 miles?

I did DD's fruit diet yesterday in a bid to lose a couple of pounds this week.  However, I've been on a course today at a lovely country hotel, which included a lush 3 course lunch (including crispy belly pork ) so any good yesterday has been undone today.  5 miles planned this evening.

09/10/2012 at 17:46

Evening all, great reports Chick and Gazelle. Sorry your marathon didn't go as planned Becs, but well done for toughing it out.

I've been doing nothing for a couple of days (I like to properly taper!), but will do a short intervals session in the morning and then an easy 4 miles or so on Friday.

Drizzle would be good on Sunday, heavy rain less so.

Spoons, are you still happy to car-share from Swaffham?

09/10/2012 at 17:53

I'm doing a session with some 0.5m @ HMP tomorrow Daren. Drizzle would be good for running but not so good for the hair.

09/10/2012 at 17:58

Yeah, I'm thinking of maybe doing some 800s at HMP too - maybe a couple of them then a few 400s at 5k with nice long RI. Nothing too strenuous!

09/10/2012 at 19:45
Minni- I doubt you northern lass will worry about a bit of rain. Enjoy your sprint/ interval challenge with Daren. Hope you have a gym in that hotel. Wonder how' effective the fruit will be and in what ways?
Chick - very consistent running. Bet my splits will look nothing like yours from the straight line running you did to the wavering wobble of a line running I expect.

6 miles at average pace of 7.30 mm. Felt very comfortable . It was a bit surreal running as the sunset with combine harvesters trundling along in the fields. It should be August
09/10/2012 at 20:35

(((Becs))) hope you're OK, you've still run a marathon so don't be hard on yourself.  Hope the knee is OK and you enjoyed the rest of your time in Chicago.

Chick you've been through so much in the last year, to even be running a marathon is impressive enough but I'm so, so pleased for you that you cracked 3:30.  There's nothing like a bit of trance blasting out around the course of a marathon!  Well done leave Red TShirt, Blonde Ponytail and Pink Compression Socks behind, and then overtook Tanned Toned Midsection.  Show them how it's done!  Nice splits too

Good to know the manual lapping worked for you Bro, always best to practice in a few races beforehand.

Gazelle, also a brilliant race report, you're right to be proud of yourself I hope you're still on a high   Have you had the salt sachets before, in both races and training? I'd be worried I'd vomit after a mouthful of salt  But it makes alot of sense as gels alone just don't do it if you're prone to cramps.  I've heard people recommend salt before. 

Stay postive Scuba, hope the doctors do their jobs and come up with some answers.  

4 miles done tonight with Parsnip.  He was asking about doing Town Moor!  Minni do you know if there are any places left?  Oh that would be really useful about the water stations, should we just bring along a few bottles with our names on?  

We're also both thinking of Berlin again next year - him to run, me for beer, I'm not entering any more marathons after London, honestly

09/10/2012 at 20:52

Evening. Tonight was 12 x 400s all around 1:28 so pleased with that. No session for me on Thursday. Mini taper starts here.

09/10/2012 at 21:05
Yes Carrot he'll still get in. .

This is my thinking for water bottles: get a load of those small fruitshoot bottles (drink the fruitshoot and use the empty bottles) and the can then me filled with water. If we position the stations about 0.25 from a bin then we can grab a drink then dump the bottle. Alternatively we can use our own bottles and ditch them then spoons can go behind us and position them back in the tables.
09/10/2012 at 21:16

You've clearly given this some though Minni!   I like the idea of using fruit shoot bottles, can we just stick a table wherever we like?!  0.25 mile away from a bin would be perfect.

Fab I'll let Parsnip know

Speedy 400s Spoons 

09/10/2012 at 21:29
There are two water stations anyway but they have plastic cups. In 2010 it was so cold the water gave you brain freeze. If its a cold day we must ensure our support team have the water at the correct temperature!
09/10/2012 at 21:39

It's like being an elite! Our own bottles, a support crew, all we need now is a bloke driving a bike with his mate on the back filming our every step and we're sorted.

09/10/2012 at 21:42
Now there's a thought...!
09/10/2012 at 21:51

I'll bring a scooter....

09/10/2012 at 22:38
2old - so I guess this was an 'easy' run tonight at 7:30? If so, what does that make your MP? What time are you aiming for in Sunday?
09/10/2012 at 23:41
Evening all - Glad you're all getting into taper madness.
Went upto The lakes hiking with a mate, so a bit of easy x-training. We did Blencathra in the northern lakes, it was a perfect day. Sunny, warm, no wind or rain, in fact we could of worn shorts and a t-shirt it was that warm. Fantastic views from the top, south over the rest of The lakes, and north over The Solway Firth, and the mountains of southern Scotland. Might try some intervals tomorrow.
10/10/2012 at 08:12

Red -  Good news, give it time and you will be back running.

Carrot -  Retiring after London. Do you need a med cert for Berlin?

2old -   What's your target  for Sunday?

Spoons -   Nice quick 400's from you, similar session from me this morning but only 9 repeats, slowest 1:35(first) and the others inbetween 1:24 and 1:29.

10/10/2012 at 08:34

Minni - presumably if we leave stuff on our tables there is still a chance someone else could pinch them? Just thinking about gels - it would be ideal not to have to carry them, or at least only a couple, and have the rest on one of the tables - my plan is pretty much one at the end of each of the first 4 laps with a couple of spares just in case. But I'd worry if I got to the table and they were gone - what do you think? Safer just to load up the belt?  It's less of an issue if water gets pinched as we can use the cups if needed.

I think on one of our tables we need to set up a ghetto blaster for the trance music

Any sort of rain plays havoc with my hair...goes horribly curly which is so not a good look for me

Yesterday's run was better than Monday - 6 miles with 4 @ 7.20. I'm running again today - just easy pace, then rest tomorrow. I'll probably do something Friday - I quite like my last run before a race to be quite fast, so long as it is not the day before, so I might do some intervals, but not that many of them and probably not at full pelt, but just enough to feel I am in good form for Sunday

10/10/2012 at 08:53
Morning all

Minni /Barry- not sure about Sunday yet. . I'm looking at a pace between 7.15 and 7.25mm all being well though as FRC has said its not a flat course particularly the second half, so that will have an impact.
Barry-spoons - good sessions yesterday
Looks like TM marathon taper madness setting in with all the waterbottle and other chatter. Aren't there any streams to drink from- Bear Grylles style?
Free- if your hair will be a mess it's probably best to pull out or find a hairdresser who runs. That must have been a very encouraging run yesterday .
Simon- I love the northern lakes. We used to go to Keswick for half term every Autumn when the kids were small. Surprised you didn't take a bike.
Bowl of porridge today to get my stomach used to it. 7 slow today then 3 on Friday and that's it.
10/10/2012 at 09:17

2old - latest forecast for both Liverpool and Peterborough is better, at least according to the BBC website...11 degrees, white cloud/sunny intervals, light wind...so my hair may be OK after all! 

10/10/2012 at 09:38
Free- cancel that hairdresser.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.