RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

21,401 to 21,420 of 37,587 messages
10/10/2012 at 18:39
Great photo Chick - looking very strong.
Sorry oompa, never used orthotics.
Short interval session this morning. 2 x 800m @ HM pace, 1 x 800m @ 5k pace, 1 x 400m @ mile pace. Very chilly out there first thing!
Weather is looking perfect in Peterborough for Sunday - cloudy, dry, 11 degrees, fairly light wind
10/10/2012 at 20:26

First of all apologies to all the weekend racers for my late congratulations.  In no particular order for Barry / Gazelle / 2old / Brol / Chick - the following are my thoughts, one for each of you and I will let you decide which is which:
Brilliant / Fantastic / Incredible / Unbelievable and 'If I ever get to meet you I may have to kill you'.

Bad week here so no posts - too boring to explain but included a session in A&E with Mr O4S [inconclusive but now fine] a session in the surgery myself getting the infected abscess on my neck drained and general 'carp'

Oompa - get the orthotics, mine have meant I didn't have to stop running a few years ago and have stopped all the pain.  I would live to say they have made me a new woman - but I would be lying.  They cost £120 initially but replacements are £50 and they recover and renew old pairs for £25.  They appear by post two days after ordering as all the specs are on the computer and the company make them onsite.

2Old - my cheeky 50 miler is actually in a week, the weekend before the TM as part of my taper

Can I volunteer to 'woman' the table at TM rather than run - woe betide anyone who tries to nick the gels

This weekend is a sprint session for me, aka a Half Marathon

6 miles tonight felt like about 60 and nearly took as long - I think I need a crochet set for Christmas

10/10/2012 at 20:45
Daren- nice sharpener run in the sharp chilled morning
O4S-soooo predictable. Love your taper. TM is a recovery run then?
Free - when you said St James Park I wondered why you were in Newcastle....bit of difference.
Amazed by how many orthotics junkies there are here. Maybe I should try some

7 miles in just under 54 mins with 2@ MP . Cool and breezy.Ironically I found the MP section the most comfortable. Looking at my records in the last 90 days I've done exactly the same mileage as for VLM this year.
10/10/2012 at 21:14

Whoop whoop congrats to the first lady on the MT podium this week!!!

10/10/2012 at 21:44

I'm probably the same as you Gazelle with my salt intake, I've only ever suffered a couple of times in marathons but boy does it hurt when it strikes! 

New avatar pic Chick? You look great   Don't think that you're crap at 10K running, think positive!  You are a strong runner and you can run fast.

Oompa I've never tried orthotics but they must surely be worth a shot if you've already been out for three months? Would the £120 be a one off, so when you change running shoes you just swap over the insoles? Just think of it as the price of a new pair of trainers, some shorts and a tshirt, a couple of race entries and the petrol used to get to the running shop and get to the races. Probably what you've not spent on running since you've not been running!

O4S you can't woman the table, you're running! Where is the HM? Hope you're both OK after the hospital visits.

No running tonight as my (right) hamstring was a bit sore.  Made a giant cupcake instead.  I'm unsure if I'm recovering from a marathon, tapering for a marathon or if I should be getting a bit of speedwork in   Planning on a fartlek session tomorrow night.

My hair doesn't really go curly in the rain, more like my ponytail ends up resembling roadkill, a tangled matted mess!  We'll look like a right bunch in the pub post-TM if it's raining.

10/10/2012 at 21:48
I've never worn orthotics either. Although I did one have Soberthon (?) or something insoles to make a pair of 2 sizes too big trainers fit me! Those were the days!

That's sounding better for Sunday Daren.

O4S - are you saying you're not going to run the TM?

I've been dumped today. Completely out the blue and didn't even see it coming. He said, 'I don't feel as if it's working out between us' and 'I feel like I'm being used' and 'I don't think you feel the same way about it as I do' and 'you don't seem as serious as I do'. I felt a bit sorry for him because he seemed to be genuinely upset. Perhaps I was heartless not to accept his friend request onto his phone app to see how slowly he'd run 3 miles at the weekend, and perhaps I should have shown more concern over him pulling out of a fell race instead of laughing and calling him a whimp, but me thinks that he thought he would be able to whoop my ass when out for an afterworld run and was obviously offended that the sessions he calls a long run, I use as I warm up! One less running partner!
10/10/2012 at 21:51
Bro - Well done on the MT podium.

Oompa - Sorry I can't help you re orthotics, as I went the opposite way, and got rid of all cushioning/support and went barefoot to get rid of PF. Judging by the amount of followers on here, they could be the answer for you.

2old - Yes would of been good to do some biking or even trail running up in the lakes. But my mate I go hiking with, doesn't run or cycle, hiking his limit. I keep thinking when I'm hiking, yes this would be a good route to trail run, something for the future.
Have you decided what you're going to do re your garmin in the tunnels?
10/10/2012 at 22:00
Minni - Sorry, to hear the news, I think you need to find someone from a sub3:00 dating thread, to keep up with you, if there's such a thing. What's an afterworld run btw? Have you been watching the Twilight series or something!
10/10/2012 at 22:04

Move on Minni - plenty more fishes in the sea

10/10/2012 at 22:05

Tri club tonight - I made them do 20 x 1 minute efforts

10/10/2012 at 22:07

I will be at TM Minni, I will probably participate - calling it running might be a bit of a stretch..................

10/10/2012 at 22:09
Oh no that's not me on the podium!
10/10/2012 at 22:17
Minni- sounds like you lefft your partner as road kill. Ruthlessly put out of misery. Nice one
Simon- tunnel solution- Garmin and old fashioned digital watch with lap button backed up with a mental maths calc at every mile and km marker. That will keep me busy. I've never done any trail races. I think I should give them a go to as I believe they are good for increasing power and strength . I still have nightmares about my school cross country races though
Spoons- is that in the pool ? Any groans as they did them?
Signing off now. Sleep needed.
10/10/2012 at 22:19
I meant afterwork Simon - predictive text! He's is a work colleague who wanted to run with me but no more...! Lol!

Glad to hear it O4S. I think we'll all have to give you some tlc. Ok, wine then. .

Spoons - do you whip them if they don't go fast enough. Is this coaching through the tri club? It seems the thing to do in tri? Lots do the coaching courses then coach the club?
10/10/2012 at 23:15
Quick check in, drowning on marking this week

Interesting re orthotics, just remembered when reading this I used to have some years ago in my netball playing days, might be an option for helping with the dodgy knee.....

Fear not O4S, I will be on hand to woman the drink/gel station at T.M, leaving you free to participate
11/10/2012 at 04:52

O4S, I hope you have a much better week this week!!

2old, can't wait to see that perm 

Gazelle, the orthotics are going well thanks.  Still no running, am being patient and leaving it until Nov.  But yesterday was an amazing day as I had absolutely NO niggles from my pesky calf   I usually feel it at several points of the day, really minimal pain but noticable nonetheless.  Yesterday when walking back from the gym I realised I'd felt nothing all day.  I am really hoping I am turning the corner....

Oompa, all I can say is I wish my orthotics had only cost £120   Oh well, if that's the price I have to pay for getting back to running (and for living somewhere with year round sunshine ) I will pay it.  Mind you, what with the orthotics, needing a new ipod and now a new phone (unless the phone geeks can repair it), OH says I'm rapidly turning into high maintenance girl.  I'll be hiring a hairdresser to run with me next.......  

Speaking of ipods, Bro, as I'm currently minus any gizmo to listen to MT, if you made the podium I will congratulate you in a couple of weeks' time when I actually get to listen to the episode *sigh*

Dubai Dave    pirate
11/10/2012 at 06:22

Morning

I'm in the Simon school that less is best, I have over the years weaned myself off the support shoes and now run everything in Saucony Kinvara's which have virtually no support. I did have calve muscle problems during the weaning period no doubt due to the drop in heel height placing a strain on the Achilles  / calve. But its all good now, can't say I'm tempted to go the bare foot route but I do believe that most runners don't need all the support bells and whistles. Not at all convinced that most of you need orthotics, I was told that I needed them years ago, ignored the advice let the injury heal and carried on. Any way I guess its horses for courses.

Minni: I have had loads of folks tell me that they will train with me and then realise that what I consider a normal day isn't quite what they had in mind! Its our club unofficial motto that we don't go back for the dead, nick their Garmin and keep running. 

O4S: Sounds as if you have been in the wars again, your life always sound incredibly busy. 

Last nights intervals wre horrid it was 31C with very high humidity, I thought I was melting. It was 6 x 1K off 2 minute recoveries which went 3.56 /3.56 /4.05 / 4.00 / 4.05 / 4.06 was struggling by the last two.

Will splash at lunch and that's it for the day.

Edited: 11/10/2012 at 06:23
11/10/2012 at 07:14

2old. - it was a running session.

Minni - I coach tri club and running club although I am considering ditching the tri club. More on that later......

i don't have a whip but I do have a whisle and a stop watch 

very special day for me today. The iPhone 5 should arrive 

11/10/2012 at 07:44
Minni - that made me laugh! Bin him!!

DD - I don't know how you do it in that heat!

O4S - you do worry me!! A half this weekend, 50 next then a marathon!!

Kiwi - how are you getting up to the TM? Flying? Is you Mr Kiwi coming?

Spoons - enjoy your new toy

I might attempt my mp run today. Gotta go better than last week or I just might volunteer myself on the drinks/gels/cakes table with a bottle of wine
11/10/2012 at 08:31

Oompa -  No experience of orthotics, but I think it was Keir  off the sub 3:15 thread was having problems with his knee when he started running, took a break got fitted with orthotics which sorted out his problem.

O4S -  Are you doing Swindon HM, if so what I am looking out for, I'll be stood around the 1 mile mark with my youngest(13) and the dog. 

DD -  Decent repeats from you, some speed coming back in your legs?

Still getting issues with pain on the right side of my head so went to dentist and he thinks problem is with tooth that has been filled several times and I've got a problem with the right side of my jaw.  First thing he wants to do is take out all the filling from the tooth and see what is left of the tooth.  Was in two minds whether before or after Abo and the earliest appt they've got is next Wednesday (need a long appt ), which I've gone for as hoping will solve problem and leave me pain free for Abo.  5 miles slow this morning.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.