RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

21,401 to 21,420 of 36,947 messages
10/10/2012 at 15:09

Oompa - I've worn orthotics for 4 years now. All my shin splint problems seemed to disappear after wearing them. Of course, that could just be coincidence! Took a bit of time to get used to them though.....

10/10/2012 at 15:20

Oompa-I do quite a lot of my running on the treadmill so its not so bad for me to switch when I need to. Looks like they worked for Spoons though everyone is different.

10/10/2012 at 15:27

Spoons - Sounds good to me... surely can't be coincidental? Where did you get fitted for them... running shop/physio/podiatrist? John Allen physio quoted approx £120.00, but that was over 2 years ago. Aaaaarrrgghhh... too many questions... may have to go and sit in a darkened room and take up goldfish walking!

2old - I did quite a lot of treadmill training for VLM & MKM this year and is definitely better/softer than the roads but it's just soooooooooooooooo boring (and hot). 

10/10/2012 at 15:32

Oompa, I wore orthotics when I started my first marathon campaign. I had terrible knee pain and they worked. At some point inbetween marathons I forgot to wear them and then misplaced them and found out whooops - I don't need them anymore

2old wrote (see)

Chick-great pic and I cant see any pain there-try harder next time. You will destroy your old 10k pb-bythe way what was it?

SS-Im thinking of having a curly perm so I look good runnning in my shellsuit.

LOL - please post a pic of you with perm & shell suit .
10k PB is 44:48 so yeah, I guess it's a bit soft. But I'm really really crap at 10k running  

10/10/2012 at 15:34

xpost Oompa: I paid 120 quid for mine too. Seems like the standard price. Allegedly mine were manufactured in Canada but I reckon they made up some story that sounded nice to justify the horrific expense! I went to some podiatrist near London Bridge (can't remember the name anymore).

10/10/2012 at 15:48

Chick - Thanks. There's a good podiatrist in Horsham that i think i'll try. Did they tell you to change your shoes with the inserts? I'm on my 5th generation of Adrenaline's as i need a support shoe and would be loathe to change? 

10/10/2012 at 15:58

no they were happy with the Asics GT21xx that I wore at the time. They were supportive shoes too, so I reckon you can stick to your Adrenalines. If yours is a good pod they will make walk and run in your trainers with the orthotics just to be sure it's all fine.

Edited: 10/10/2012 at 15:58
10/10/2012 at 16:03

Chick-sorry photos of the shell suit are banned. Looks like your going to be at least sub 44 and maybe better but youll have a lot more pain in your face than at the end of the marathon

Oompa-Chick-wow those orthotics are expensive

10/10/2012 at 16:03

Oompa - sorry to hear that the niggle persists, no knowledge of orthotics I'm afraid but do have flat feet & have used Adrenalines since picking up running seriously a couple of years back & swear by them - they seem to be the shoe of choice for a lot of over-pronators so definately think long and hard re changing.... Hope improves soon

10/10/2012 at 16:19

Not sure about sticking with a supportive shoe with orthotics - they are meant to correct any gait issues so you would then use a neutral shoe...or at least that is what I have always been told!  But as chick says they should be analysing you wearing the shoes with the orthotics - standing, walking and running. Preferably videoing you running as well - mine did that with lines drawn down my achilles and then we looked at the film in slo-mo so she could see whether it all stayed aligned or not. The difference with me wearing and not wearing my orthotics is very pronounced!  So if they do all that and it is all OK with the shoes you have then I guess OK, just don't naturally assume that until you have talked to the pod...

A lovely 6 miles today, running in the sunshine along the Embankment and around St James Park (the final stretch of VLM ). Although I did have to tell a cyclist to "stop cyling on the f***ing pavement" as she veered into me. Tourists in London who I have to negotiate round I can tolerate as they have a right to be there, but cyclists drive me mad when they don't use the roads

10/10/2012 at 16:53

Chick & Freemers - Will report back re shoe debate when i'm able to run again as it would seem pointless to go to the Pod now whilst injured as i'm sure that my gait would be different.

Completely agree re cyclists on the pavement... especially when they're two-abreast and can't understand why they're being shouted at. Same goes for horse riders down my local trail that are so busy gassing that they fail to hear me asking for some room to get past, then get shitty when their horses are spooked by a inconsiderate runner squeezing past through the undergrowth!!!!

2old - Agree re orthotics prices but would happily pay double that at the mo just to be able to run without injury, and i think/hope that they last a good amount of time.

Cooks - Thanks for the thoughts and good luck for Maidstone half. Sub 1.20???? Are you doing Brighton 10k next month? I've got a place as it sells out every year and just hope that i'm semi-right.

10/10/2012 at 17:38

My orthotics were loads cheaper than £120. However - I had several appointments with the podiatrist who kept tweaking them until they were perfect so they ended up about that amount! Only wear them with neutral shoes (Nike Vomeros).

10/10/2012 at 18:39
Great photo Chick - looking very strong.
Sorry oompa, never used orthotics.
Short interval session this morning. 2 x 800m @ HM pace, 1 x 800m @ 5k pace, 1 x 400m @ mile pace. Very chilly out there first thing!
Weather is looking perfect in Peterborough for Sunday - cloudy, dry, 11 degrees, fairly light wind
10/10/2012 at 20:26

First of all apologies to all the weekend racers for my late congratulations.  In no particular order for Barry / Gazelle / 2old / Brol / Chick - the following are my thoughts, one for each of you and I will let you decide which is which:
Brilliant / Fantastic / Incredible / Unbelievable and 'If I ever get to meet you I may have to kill you'.

Bad week here so no posts - too boring to explain but included a session in A&E with Mr O4S [inconclusive but now fine] a session in the surgery myself getting the infected abscess on my neck drained and general 'carp'

Oompa - get the orthotics, mine have meant I didn't have to stop running a few years ago and have stopped all the pain.  I would live to say they have made me a new woman - but I would be lying.  They cost £120 initially but replacements are £50 and they recover and renew old pairs for £25.  They appear by post two days after ordering as all the specs are on the computer and the company make them onsite.

2Old - my cheeky 50 miler is actually in a week, the weekend before the TM as part of my taper

Can I volunteer to 'woman' the table at TM rather than run - woe betide anyone who tries to nick the gels

This weekend is a sprint session for me, aka a Half Marathon

6 miles tonight felt like about 60 and nearly took as long - I think I need a crochet set for Christmas

10/10/2012 at 20:45
Daren- nice sharpener run in the sharp chilled morning
O4S-soooo predictable. Love your taper. TM is a recovery run then?
Free - when you said St James Park I wondered why you were in Newcastle....bit of difference.
Amazed by how many orthotics junkies there are here. Maybe I should try some

7 miles in just under 54 mins with 2@ MP . Cool and breezy.Ironically I found the MP section the most comfortable. Looking at my records in the last 90 days I've done exactly the same mileage as for VLM this year.
10/10/2012 at 21:14

Whoop whoop congrats to the first lady on the MT podium this week!!!

10/10/2012 at 21:44

I'm probably the same as you Gazelle with my salt intake, I've only ever suffered a couple of times in marathons but boy does it hurt when it strikes! 

New avatar pic Chick? You look great   Don't think that you're crap at 10K running, think positive!  You are a strong runner and you can run fast.

Oompa I've never tried orthotics but they must surely be worth a shot if you've already been out for three months? Would the £120 be a one off, so when you change running shoes you just swap over the insoles? Just think of it as the price of a new pair of trainers, some shorts and a tshirt, a couple of race entries and the petrol used to get to the running shop and get to the races. Probably what you've not spent on running since you've not been running!

O4S you can't woman the table, you're running! Where is the HM? Hope you're both OK after the hospital visits.

No running tonight as my (right) hamstring was a bit sore.  Made a giant cupcake instead.  I'm unsure if I'm recovering from a marathon, tapering for a marathon or if I should be getting a bit of speedwork in   Planning on a fartlek session tomorrow night.

My hair doesn't really go curly in the rain, more like my ponytail ends up resembling roadkill, a tangled matted mess!  We'll look like a right bunch in the pub post-TM if it's raining.

10/10/2012 at 21:48
I've never worn orthotics either. Although I did one have Soberthon (?) or something insoles to make a pair of 2 sizes too big trainers fit me! Those were the days!

That's sounding better for Sunday Daren.

O4S - are you saying you're not going to run the TM?

I've been dumped today. Completely out the blue and didn't even see it coming. He said, 'I don't feel as if it's working out between us' and 'I feel like I'm being used' and 'I don't think you feel the same way about it as I do' and 'you don't seem as serious as I do'. I felt a bit sorry for him because he seemed to be genuinely upset. Perhaps I was heartless not to accept his friend request onto his phone app to see how slowly he'd run 3 miles at the weekend, and perhaps I should have shown more concern over him pulling out of a fell race instead of laughing and calling him a whimp, but me thinks that he thought he would be able to whoop my ass when out for an afterworld run and was obviously offended that the sessions he calls a long run, I use as I warm up! One less running partner!
10/10/2012 at 21:51
Bro - Well done on the MT podium.

Oompa - Sorry I can't help you re orthotics, as I went the opposite way, and got rid of all cushioning/support and went barefoot to get rid of PF. Judging by the amount of followers on here, they could be the answer for you.

2old - Yes would of been good to do some biking or even trail running up in the lakes. But my mate I go hiking with, doesn't run or cycle, hiking his limit. I keep thinking when I'm hiking, yes this would be a good route to trail run, something for the future.
Have you decided what you're going to do re your garmin in the tunnels?
10/10/2012 at 22:00
Minni - Sorry, to hear the news, I think you need to find someone from a sub3:00 dating thread, to keep up with you, if there's such a thing. What's an afterworld run btw? Have you been watching the Twilight series or something!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.