RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

21,421 to 21,440 of 36,140 messages
10/10/2012 at 22:04

Move on Minni - plenty more fishes in the sea

10/10/2012 at 22:05

Tri club tonight - I made them do 20 x 1 minute efforts

10/10/2012 at 22:07

I will be at TM Minni, I will probably participate - calling it running might be a bit of a stretch..................

10/10/2012 at 22:09
Oh no that's not me on the podium!
10/10/2012 at 22:17
Minni- sounds like you lefft your partner as road kill. Ruthlessly put out of misery. Nice one
Simon- tunnel solution- Garmin and old fashioned digital watch with lap button backed up with a mental maths calc at every mile and km marker. That will keep me busy. I've never done any trail races. I think I should give them a go to as I believe they are good for increasing power and strength . I still have nightmares about my school cross country races though
Spoons- is that in the pool ? Any groans as they did them?
Signing off now. Sleep needed.
10/10/2012 at 22:19
I meant afterwork Simon - predictive text! He's is a work colleague who wanted to run with me but no more...! Lol!

Glad to hear it O4S. I think we'll all have to give you some tlc. Ok, wine then. .

Spoons - do you whip them if they don't go fast enough. Is this coaching through the tri club? It seems the thing to do in tri? Lots do the coaching courses then coach the club?
10/10/2012 at 23:15
Quick check in, drowning on marking this week

Interesting re orthotics, just remembered when reading this I used to have some years ago in my netball playing days, might be an option for helping with the dodgy knee.....

Fear not O4S, I will be on hand to woman the drink/gel station at T.M, leaving you free to participate
11/10/2012 at 04:52

O4S, I hope you have a much better week this week!!

2old, can't wait to see that perm 

Gazelle, the orthotics are going well thanks.  Still no running, am being patient and leaving it until Nov.  But yesterday was an amazing day as I had absolutely NO niggles from my pesky calf   I usually feel it at several points of the day, really minimal pain but noticable nonetheless.  Yesterday when walking back from the gym I realised I'd felt nothing all day.  I am really hoping I am turning the corner....

Oompa, all I can say is I wish my orthotics had only cost £120   Oh well, if that's the price I have to pay for getting back to running (and for living somewhere with year round sunshine ) I will pay it.  Mind you, what with the orthotics, needing a new ipod and now a new phone (unless the phone geeks can repair it), OH says I'm rapidly turning into high maintenance girl.  I'll be hiring a hairdresser to run with me next.......  

Speaking of ipods, Bro, as I'm currently minus any gizmo to listen to MT, if you made the podium I will congratulate you in a couple of weeks' time when I actually get to listen to the episode *sigh*

Dubai Dave    pirate
11/10/2012 at 06:22

Morning

I'm in the Simon school that less is best, I have over the years weaned myself off the support shoes and now run everything in Saucony Kinvara's which have virtually no support. I did have calve muscle problems during the weaning period no doubt due to the drop in heel height placing a strain on the Achilles  / calve. But its all good now, can't say I'm tempted to go the bare foot route but I do believe that most runners don't need all the support bells and whistles. Not at all convinced that most of you need orthotics, I was told that I needed them years ago, ignored the advice let the injury heal and carried on. Any way I guess its horses for courses.

Minni: I have had loads of folks tell me that they will train with me and then realise that what I consider a normal day isn't quite what they had in mind! Its our club unofficial motto that we don't go back for the dead, nick their Garmin and keep running. 

O4S: Sounds as if you have been in the wars again, your life always sound incredibly busy. 

Last nights intervals wre horrid it was 31C with very high humidity, I thought I was melting. It was 6 x 1K off 2 minute recoveries which went 3.56 /3.56 /4.05 / 4.00 / 4.05 / 4.06 was struggling by the last two.

Will splash at lunch and that's it for the day.

Edited: 11/10/2012 at 06:23
11/10/2012 at 07:14

2old. - it was a running session.

Minni - I coach tri club and running club although I am considering ditching the tri club. More on that later......

i don't have a whip but I do have a whisle and a stop watch 

very special day for me today. The iPhone 5 should arrive 

11/10/2012 at 07:44
Minni - that made me laugh! Bin him!!

DD - I don't know how you do it in that heat!

O4S - you do worry me!! A half this weekend, 50 next then a marathon!!

Kiwi - how are you getting up to the TM? Flying? Is you Mr Kiwi coming?

Spoons - enjoy your new toy

I might attempt my mp run today. Gotta go better than last week or I just might volunteer myself on the drinks/gels/cakes table with a bottle of wine
11/10/2012 at 08:31

Oompa -  No experience of orthotics, but I think it was Keir  off the sub 3:15 thread was having problems with his knee when he started running, took a break got fitted with orthotics which sorted out his problem.

O4S -  Are you doing Swindon HM, if so what I am looking out for, I'll be stood around the 1 mile mark with my youngest(13) and the dog. 

DD -  Decent repeats from you, some speed coming back in your legs?

Still getting issues with pain on the right side of my head so went to dentist and he thinks problem is with tooth that has been filled several times and I've got a problem with the right side of my jaw.  First thing he wants to do is take out all the filling from the tooth and see what is left of the tooth.  Was in two minds whether before or after Abo and the earliest appt they've got is next Wednesday (need a long appt ), which I've gone for as hoping will solve problem and leave me pain free for Abo.  5 miles slow this morning.

11/10/2012 at 08:39
Brolish wrote (see)

Whoop whoop congrats to the first lady on the MT podium this week!!!

I listened on my way to work - and didn't know her name before, but do now! Something about a 3.21 at Chester....absolutely smashed the rest of the podium   Do you think we can get a clean sweep of the podium at the TM?

Minni - he'll come crawling back when he realises the error of his ways, and when he does, don't let him off lightly

O4S - hope Mr O4S is OK and you are too? I still can't get my head round you doing the 50 the week before TM...you will need plenty of that flap jack

DD - speedy reps in that heat!

11/10/2012 at 09:46

Freemers:  The 50 was booked long before TM was mentioned, it is an annual event for us that we really enjoy.  That is the main reason I'm not sure if I will get round 5 laps of TM without seriously eating in to drinking time   Perhaps the forum outing should be a 10km next year.......................

AA:  I'm not actually racing any of them!

Barry:  Small, blonde, old, slow.  Wearing white Westbury Harriers top with blue chest hoop.  I presume I look out for a small yellow bird??

DD:  just  the original infection from the surgery spread a bit, probably not helped by 30 muddy miles on Saturday.    [I didn't actually mention that to the docs]

11/10/2012 at 09:47

Morning all

DD-fast intervals in any weather but in that heat is something else..you will be adding to your collection of bling

Barry-theres not much worse than tooth ache especially when you have towait to get it fixed. Still its a different pain to focus on and will take your mind off the pain of pb ing.

AA-hope your MP run goes well-they usually do ,its the slower stuff thats hardest to do from my experience

Spoons-a running session-still thats not much more fun to do either. You must be busy with all that coaching

SS-i gave up running with an ipod a couple of months ago and am enjoying the running experience a lot more now and my ears arent as sore. Changed my mind not getting a perm but a mohican instead.

With all these outstanding performances here-pbs, bling ,podiums(congrats Bro) I am beginning to wonder whether Team minni are modelled on Lance Armstrong's methods of enhancing team performance.

11/10/2012 at 09:58

The results of the 10K I did on Sunday have now been published and sadly my time of 40.04 has been confirmed .On the bright side I came 7th out  of 350 so I have to be pleased with that though I was a long way off the winner's 32.52. (Told you most of the fast runners were elsewhere).Incidentally the ladies winner did it in 42.59 and second was 46.39 so you lady runners here would have been fighting each other on the podium. That would have been fun to see.

11/10/2012 at 10:05

Weather forecast for Peterborough is now light rain...I am going to shave my head

11/10/2012 at 10:29

Carrot - You're right about the cost being relatively small in the grand scheme of things, so have booked a "fitting".

simon62w - Not technically "barefoot" but i've been using Nike Free's for about a year for easy runs & intervals, but still get the same old injuries (knees & calves), so i'm gonna give the orthotics a try.   2old - 40.04 sounds like a bloody good 10k time to me?   S S - Sounds like we can compare calf notes and then just moooooove on!   Minni - Don't know whether to offer my commiserations or not as you don't sound that upset about it? As mentioned earlier though, plenty more fish in the sea.   On the subject of curly perms, i have to don a hat in the rain as a frizzy afro on a small orange man is not a good look!!!!!!!!!  
Scuba Trooper    pirate
11/10/2012 at 12:26

Strange mix of recovery, taper and focused running on here at the moment.

Brolish/Gazelle - As I don't listen to MT can you explain the podium stuff! Sounds like Gazelle's fine running has been recognised properly.

Old4Speed - glad you and Mr O4S are ok after hospital visits, I would suggest you take it easy but that might would appear to be a waste of my time so i'll just wish you well.

Minni - you are normally so suportive on peolpes running exploits you obviosly didn't have much time for your work collegue.

SS - glad to here your pain free at last.

I'm loving the team Minni support crew arrangements for TM, do you have massage tent and some one to hand out the foil blankets lined up yet?

I managed 3 miles walking split between the morning and afternoon yesterday, and did 35ish lengths in the pools this morning of which only 10ish were crawl. Still making me feel tired but much less so, and my hand is feeling better very day, just a bit clumsy and still missing an odd word or two.

11/10/2012 at 12:33
Minni, you are a heart-breaker!

Currently benched with PF so quick de-lurk to ask Simon and DD about the transition to minimalist - how did you approach it? Did it resolve PF issues quickly?

Congrats to recent racers - some great performances being knocked out and good luck to the next wave.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.