RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

21,421 to 21,440 of 37,200 messages
11/10/2012 at 08:39
Brolish wrote (see)

Whoop whoop congrats to the first lady on the MT podium this week!!!

I listened on my way to work - and didn't know her name before, but do now! Something about a 3.21 at Chester....absolutely smashed the rest of the podium   Do you think we can get a clean sweep of the podium at the TM?

Minni - he'll come crawling back when he realises the error of his ways, and when he does, don't let him off lightly

O4S - hope Mr O4S is OK and you are too? I still can't get my head round you doing the 50 the week before TM...you will need plenty of that flap jack

DD - speedy reps in that heat!

11/10/2012 at 09:46

Freemers:  The 50 was booked long before TM was mentioned, it is an annual event for us that we really enjoy.  That is the main reason I'm not sure if I will get round 5 laps of TM without seriously eating in to drinking time   Perhaps the forum outing should be a 10km next year.......................

AA:  I'm not actually racing any of them!

Barry:  Small, blonde, old, slow.  Wearing white Westbury Harriers top with blue chest hoop.  I presume I look out for a small yellow bird??

DD:  just  the original infection from the surgery spread a bit, probably not helped by 30 muddy miles on Saturday.    [I didn't actually mention that to the docs]

11/10/2012 at 09:47

Morning all

DD-fast intervals in any weather but in that heat is something else..you will be adding to your collection of bling

Barry-theres not much worse than tooth ache especially when you have towait to get it fixed. Still its a different pain to focus on and will take your mind off the pain of pb ing.

AA-hope your MP run goes well-they usually do ,its the slower stuff thats hardest to do from my experience

Spoons-a running session-still thats not much more fun to do either. You must be busy with all that coaching

SS-i gave up running with an ipod a couple of months ago and am enjoying the running experience a lot more now and my ears arent as sore. Changed my mind not getting a perm but a mohican instead.

With all these outstanding performances here-pbs, bling ,podiums(congrats Bro) I am beginning to wonder whether Team minni are modelled on Lance Armstrong's methods of enhancing team performance.

11/10/2012 at 09:58

The results of the 10K I did on Sunday have now been published and sadly my time of 40.04 has been confirmed .On the bright side I came 7th out  of 350 so I have to be pleased with that though I was a long way off the winner's 32.52. (Told you most of the fast runners were elsewhere).Incidentally the ladies winner did it in 42.59 and second was 46.39 so you lady runners here would have been fighting each other on the podium. That would have been fun to see.

11/10/2012 at 10:05

Weather forecast for Peterborough is now light rain...I am going to shave my head

11/10/2012 at 10:29

Carrot - You're right about the cost being relatively small in the grand scheme of things, so have booked a "fitting".

simon62w - Not technically "barefoot" but i've been using Nike Free's for about a year for easy runs & intervals, but still get the same old injuries (knees & calves), so i'm gonna give the orthotics a try.   2old - 40.04 sounds like a bloody good 10k time to me?   S S - Sounds like we can compare calf notes and then just moooooove on!   Minni - Don't know whether to offer my commiserations or not as you don't sound that upset about it? As mentioned earlier though, plenty more fish in the sea.   On the subject of curly perms, i have to don a hat in the rain as a frizzy afro on a small orange man is not a good look!!!!!!!!!  
Scuba Trooper    pirate
11/10/2012 at 12:26

Strange mix of recovery, taper and focused running on here at the moment.

Brolish/Gazelle - As I don't listen to MT can you explain the podium stuff! Sounds like Gazelle's fine running has been recognised properly.

Old4Speed - glad you and Mr O4S are ok after hospital visits, I would suggest you take it easy but that might would appear to be a waste of my time so i'll just wish you well.

Minni - you are normally so suportive on peolpes running exploits you obviosly didn't have much time for your work collegue.

SS - glad to here your pain free at last.

I'm loving the team Minni support crew arrangements for TM, do you have massage tent and some one to hand out the foil blankets lined up yet?

I managed 3 miles walking split between the morning and afternoon yesterday, and did 35ish lengths in the pools this morning of which only 10ish were crawl. Still making me feel tired but much less so, and my hand is feeling better very day, just a bit clumsy and still missing an odd word or two.

11/10/2012 at 12:33
Minni, you are a heart-breaker!

Currently benched with PF so quick de-lurk to ask Simon and DD about the transition to minimalist - how did you approach it? Did it resolve PF issues quickly?

Congrats to recent racers - some great performances being knocked out and good luck to the next wave.
11/10/2012 at 12:48

Oompa - cheers re Maidstone HM, aiming for a pb, so sub 1.24.52, maybe not quite 1.20 yet   I should be within a good shout - its an undulating course but similar to recent HM where was just outside pb with a bit of a calf pull towards the end....... Re Brighton - not doing as too soon after Valencia (week before) but I did do it last year.  A good one for a pb attempt as v flat.  As along seafront it be a bit exposed to the elements - last year was kind weather! 

11/10/2012 at 13:04

O4S: glad to see you back. I thought about you last night and was a tad worried something could be wrong.

Brolish wrote (see)

Whoop whoop congrats to the first lady on the MT podium this week!!!

Congrats, Gazelle!  Of course I forgot to submit my result to MT . I would have come third on the podium if I had .

Carrot wrote (see)

New avatar pic Chick? You look great   Don't think that you're crap at 10K running, think positive!  You are a strong runner and you can run fast.

I think I stick to my current avatar pic - at least I'm smiling and not gurning

Minni wrote (see)

I've been dumped today. Completely out the blue and didn't even see it coming. He said, 'I don't feel as if it's working out between us' and 'I feel like I'm being used' and 'I don't think you feel the same way about it as I do' and 'you don't seem as serious as I do'. I felt a bit sorry for him because he seemed to be genuinely upset. Perhaps I was heartless not to accept his friend request onto his phone app to see how slowly he'd run 3 miles at the weekend, and perhaps I should have shown more concern over him pulling out of a fell race instead of laughing and calling him a whimp, but me thinks that he thought he would be able to whoop my ass when out for an afterworld run and was obviously offended that the sessions he calls a long run, I use as I warm up! One less running partner!

Tee hee - one second I thought you were talking about Mr. Minni .

Dubai Dave wrote (see)

Morning

I'm in the Simon school that less is best, I have over the years weaned myself off the support shoes and now run everything in Saucony Kinvara's which have virtually no support. I did have calve muscle problems during the weaning period no doubt due to the drop in heel height placing a strain on the Achilles  / calve. But its all good now, can't say I'm tempted to go the bare foot route but I do believe that most runners don't need all the support bells and whistles. Not at all convinced that most of you need orthotics, I was told that I needed them years ago, ignored the advice let the injury heal and carried on. Any way I guess its horses for courses.

Last nights intervals wre horrid it was 31C with very high humidity, I thought I was melting. It was 6 x 1K off 2 minute recoveries which went 3.56 /3.56 /4.05 / 4.00 / 4.05 / 4.06 was struggling by the last two..

Snap, DD. Kinvaras for me too. I ran my marathon in them and absolutely love them. I couldn't go back to the old Asics bricks with orthotics in them. But I needed them at the time. They helped to get over the injury and run painfree for once. Those were speedy reps considering the heat!

Barry B wrote (see)

Still getting issues with pain on the right side of my head so went to dentist and he thinks problem is with tooth that has been filled several times and I've got a problem with the right side of my jaw.  First thing he wants to do is take out all the filling from the tooth and see what is left of the tooth.  Was in two minds whether before or after Abo and the earliest appt they've got is next Wednesday (need a long appt ), which I've gone for as hoping will solve problem and leave me pain free for Abo.  5 miles slow this morning.

Ouch! Dentists ... shudder! I think you did right in making the appointment sooner rather than later. Good luck!

I ran today - only 35 minutes and TBH it wasn't a run. More a slow hobble/jog type thingie. Legs unhappy. Left knee, quad and hammy all sore. Right quad too. I feel fine walking but running doesn't quite work yet. Boo, hiss

11/10/2012 at 13:29

Minni- I like your style ditching the wannabe running partner.  What did he expect???

SSheep- great news on no pain, hope it's a sign of things to come!

Can I just repeat one more time- it wasn't me on the podium, stop congratulating me everyone!!  It was Gazelle!!! Well not everyone, a few actually got it!

DD-I couldn't possibly run in this weather. It would be enough to make me move back to UK.

Barry- ouch, hope the tooth gets sorted before Abo.  I hate tooth problems.

O4S- loving your mileage!

AA- good luck with the MP run, enjoy!

2Old- 40.04- damn! So close! You'll smash it soon, I'm sure.

ST- sounds like you're on the mend. Take it easy and don't rush into things.

Chick- rest girl, you deserve it!

I have been banned from any fast stuff this week while recovering from the half and in preparation for tomorrow. I'm off tomorrow so doing my last long 20+ run then rather than on Sunday (wedding on Saturday) Planned duration run for 3h20min.  Hmmm... never ran according to time rather than distance so not sure what I end up with but will probably aim for 23-24m. Ridiculously busy at work trying to solve traffic problems in Kuala Lumpur without much background info so largely making stuff up. Love my job!

11/10/2012 at 13:49
Chick - rest up a bit longer silly! Enjoy it while you can

Cooks - you should smash your PB.

I'm too scared to move away from my addicts nimbus

Ok - I did it... 3m @ 8:29 pace then 10 miles ave 7:38 pace. So better effort than last week. And it pissed it down the entire run. Was pretty hilly 700ft ascent and hammy ached a lot. At least I know that that's NOT my marathon pace now as I couldn't do that for another 16!! Am pleased to announce a frizzy mess by the time I'd finished
11/10/2012 at 13:49

Scuba - on the MT website you can enter results for races you've done, then each week they announce a top 5 podium (men and women) of marathon's for that week. 

Chick - I did think about you when they went through the podium - you should have been on it

Bro - good luck with your last long run. About 23 should be right - I did my 23 last weekend in 3.20 as well, with the same logic as you in terms of time on feet.

Barry - hope you get the tooth sorted.

No running today so had a little retail therapy at lunchtime...a new Monsoon has opened near our office and just had to check it out

Scuba Trooper    pirate
11/10/2012 at 14:07

Anyone want a place at the great south run (10 miles) on 28th Oct in Portsmouth, there is no deferral option so money wasted unless anyone wants the place. Its a lovely flat course only issue can be the wind on the seafronts for the last mile and a bit, gutted to miss it I've done twice before and it was my first big event (back in 2008).

11/10/2012 at 14:28

Scuba T, get in there!!  That's all sounding really positive   I think someone said before on here that they know someone who seemed to recover better the more activity they did.  Sounds like the key might be 'little and often', short stints to ward off overdoing it.  Also, it is probably no bad thing to vary what you do as much as you can to get your brain functioning in as many different ways as possible.  

Brolish, sorry, hadn't quite worked out you meant Gazelle was on the podium - duh!!  OH was in KL last week, I could have got him to do some field work for you 

2old, as long as it's not a permed mohican......

Oompa, I am SOOOOOOOO over this calf injury   Hey ho, not the end of the world, I'm just looking forward to being able to post about running again!!!!!

Grumpy day for me.  Had rubbish revision day, classic pre-exam "I'll never remember it all" panic   Calmed self down, rescued the afternoon and now finished, but no time to get to the gym tonight before heading out to see friends.  At least this time next week I will be putting pen to paper and getting the hell on with it........

11/10/2012 at 15:22

SSheep- when are you flying in?  We will have a lot to celebrate by the looks of it..

11/10/2012 at 16:00

Cooks - Agree about Brighton as i set my 10k pb there 2 years ago. What's Valencia course profile like?

S62w, Chick & DD - Do you guys pronate/over pronate? My right foot pronates more than my left and my local running shop has in the past, scared the sh*t out of me with injury tales if i were to run in neutral shoes or even ones with very little medial support! That said i have Asics DS Racers just for races and have used up to HM distance with no apparent problems, but they do have a modicum of support?

11/10/2012 at 16:33

Oompa - I overpronate more on the right than on the left [both overpronate] and have always worn shoes that give decent support.  However the shoes give equal support to both feet and it was only when I got custom made orthotics that I got out of the never-ending cycle of injuries.  Finally, after running since 1977 , I can run without pain in my right hip.  Now I notice all the other aches instead

11/10/2012 at 17:46

Too busy to catch up today.

AA 

Chick   I wouldn't be that fortunate!

MT doesn't seem to be downloading to my iPhone.  In fact its almost had it.  Should I get the new iPhone 5, Spoons?

My colleague tried to woo me today with flashy spreadsheets but I gave him the cold shoulder.

Instead of Beetroot juice should we be all freezing then drinking our own blood before weekend racing?   It would look the same and might even taste better.

Off for a run - later my friends.

Edited: 11/10/2012 at 17:47
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.