RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

21,461 to 21,480 of 37,201 messages
Dubai Dave    pirate
12/10/2012 at 10:28
AA potholes ? What are they? No rain, no frost = no potholes. All the Tarmac here is super smooth. The couple of times i rode in the UK this year were an education.

O4S; Even my trail shoes are minimalist New Balance or Inov. I too have a 600 lumens light, people assume your a motorbike, its great! as yet i haven't found a 600 lumens rear light
Edited: 12/10/2012 at 10:29
12/10/2012 at 11:45
old4speed wrote (see)

Barry:  Small, blonde, old, slow.  Wearing white Westbury Harriers top with blue chest hoop.  I presume I look out for a small yellow bird??

O4S -  Yeah small yellow bird with a 13 year daughter moaning she's bored and a black cocker spaniel going mental at the runners.  What's your first name? I would get some strange looks calling out "old 4 speed".

FRC - Sounds a whole lot of fun, but not for me - yet.

Red - More promising news, good luck with the return to running.

I know the TM runners/crew are going to have a few but blood and urine - nice cocktail.

12/10/2012 at 12:11

Red - sounds promising. Hope the running test goes painlessly.

Nice report FRC, not for me though! (even marathons aren't for me!)

I've decided to go for the beetroot juice before Sunday after all - got some this morning and I'm actually developing quite a taste for it! Did 3 miles easy this morning. Weather (not that I'm obsessed or anything) is now looking absolutely perfect for GER - cool, dry and what little wind there is behind us for the second half Please don't change now!

12/10/2012 at 12:21
Daren - more importantly are you planning on red wine afterwards again??!
12/10/2012 at 12:39
Dubai Dave wrote (see)

I am not drinking my own blood and urine for team Minni

Come on - HTFU and show some commitment to the team!

12/10/2012 at 12:40

Dubai Dave has his own private road. Nice! potholes in the UK? Nooo. More like craters now. Not sure how long your lovely bikes would last.

O4S, 100 miles can wait a year or two! Thinking of some 35-50 mile events next year,, the Thames one in Feb?, maybe even the Hadrians wall 69 miler in a day. I'm up for Rotherham 50 next year if you want a toy (boy?) man.. do I pass the test? Photo from saturday here.

Brol, not long for you to go. Exciting! You will fly. We want to be a part of it, NY, New Yoooork. Its cool in November there yes?

Gazelle, & Chic, hope you are resting and relaxing on a fab day. (((Becsa))) too.

Mike who did TR24 with 5 of us I mentioned ran Chester in 3:28. His garmin didn't charge overnight so had to use a stopwatch. He tagged along with someone, through half in 1:40 and then asked her what time she was after at mile 17 - sub 3:20. Silly. 2old - remember to charge !

Daren, good luck to you and Minni on Sunday at GER.

As for minimal shoes, someone wore Vibram 5 fingers in the muddy ultra on Saturday. Hate to think what he was like in the mud & cow shit later on. Sure he could feel every contour, and squelch .

What niggles? I think it was just a mental thing to be honest. Getting second, third wind. (O4S, DD?). After Saturdays fun, Tuesday I did club 10 hills session nearly flat out, Wed Speed/ Strength class, Thu Tempo run. Apart from being hungry, my legs & me feel fine.

And just to keep my body guessing after an ultra, next run is a 10k - Borders League a week on Sunday in Caenarfon

12/10/2012 at 13:54

Phew, 24m done in 3h24min @ 8:30 with quite a few hills thrown in. Felt very comfortable.

FRC- It seems to be cooling down in NY, fingers crossed. It's around 17 degrees (max) at the moment.

I don't like the idea of taper approaching...

12/10/2012 at 14:07

AA - I hardly ever listen to MT on a run, just find someone talking in my ear for that long too off putting! I generally listen on one of my morning commutes.

Last run before the GER today - originally thinking about intervals but I couldn't get to a treadmill as I am working at home, and hate doing them outside.  Decided on a quick 7 miles instead - progressive pace but averaged 7.30.  Too quick if I was actually racing the GER but the pace felt OK and put me in a confident mood for Sunday - still aiming for around 1.40-1.42, but really the objective is to settle into a comfortable pace which is sub 8's all the way.

12/10/2012 at 14:09

x-post...Bro - brilliant run, well done. I guess the hills are good practice for those bridges in NY   I am with you on the taper, hate it.

12/10/2012 at 14:45

AA, I'll be driving back on Sunday afternoon so I won't be able to let Minni lead me astray with the red wine this time!

12/10/2012 at 16:01

I listen to MT on long runs as a change from music but am not a hardened addict.

12/10/2012 at 16:05
Bro - excellent run today. Fantastic confidence booster.

Freemers - you're gonna cruise the GER on Sunday.

Daren - poor minni. Can't believe you're not red wining it with her! I might have to let her lead me astray in Newcastle then....just for the sake of the team obviously!!
12/10/2012 at 16:13
Freemers wrote (see)

still aiming for around 1.40-1.42, but really the objective is to settle into a comfortable pace which is sub 8's all the way.

My plan is to set off at sub 5km pace, crash and burn and have Freemers overtake me in the last quarter as usual.

DarenF wrote (see)

AA, I'll be driving back on Sunday afternoon so I won't be able to let Minni lead me astray with the red wine this time!

Woohoo! So I can get pissed then and Daren will drive me home while I sleep in the back

Edited: 12/10/2012 at 16:13
Dubai Dave    pirate
12/10/2012 at 16:26

The cycle track, only in Dubai

http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/559537_10151247431058834_254530560_n.jpg

And not a pot hole in sight
Edited: 12/10/2012 at 16:27
12/10/2012 at 16:27
I'm not driving either but do have an awful long journey....
12/10/2012 at 16:44

Won't you be driving from Fakenham at least though Spoons? Or have you delegated that to your OH?

12/10/2012 at 17:03

Plenty of time to sober up between Peterborough and Fakenham . I'll be driving too - OH was going to come but has changed his mind, probably wisely! So I will have to be sensible too. 

Current weather forecast is sunny, 11 degrees, light winds.  I do wish they wouldn't keep changing it - it's not helping with my hair planning. I mean if I shave it off and then it is sunny I'm going to get burnt

spoons - don't you dare let yourself get beaten by me again...you know you'll never hear the end of it. Did I ever mention the Norwich Half...?

12/10/2012 at 17:17

My money's on Freemers

12/10/2012 at 17:41

Daren I bet you drive a sporty convertible, you rock star that you are!

12/10/2012 at 17:47
Hi all back from a quick trip to London. Got to fill the taper gap somehow.
Bro- superb LR. You are ready for NY. Think your taper will drive you crazy though . I enjoyed the NY bridges except when I got too close to the edge of the Verazzano bridge and realised there was no fence only a very long drop into the river below.
Free - nice fast run there. Looking good for your race and forget comfortable.- fast and painful is best. Sun tan lotion will protect you and you will have plenty left after our non existent summer.
Spoons - now the challenge has been made ,maybe you could cross the line together with Freemers?
DD- that's some private cycle track. Nice s bend in the pic too. Any hills to test you?
FRC- that brought the ultra to life. I especially enjoyed the running through slurry bit having waded through lots on my dads dairy farm when I was a lad. ...in my wellys not running shoes. Tempted to give one a go sometime. Is it best to run them with a running partner to start? I'm all charged up for Liverpool so is my Garmin .I just need to clear the memory.
Minni- a long journey rewarded with a pb for certain. Cheer up.
O4S - hope that cyclist was ok. It's bad enough running in those conditions but cycling is suicidal
Weather looks perfect here for Sunday. A short freshen up run tomorrow and that's me done. Feeling very bloated - hope I haven't overdone the carbo loading but am keeping away from the scales so I will never know.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.