RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

21,641 to 21,660 of 37,114 messages
15/10/2012 at 12:40

Some stats from the chip recording

First 10k -41mins-  position 174 (56 seconds slower than last Sundays 10k?)

10k to Half-52.50-position 189

First Half- 1.33.50

Half to 20 mile-50.29-position 105

Second Half -1.36..01-position 103-- so I gained 86 places in the second half

Total no of runner 3500.  Last year 10000 approx.- will it be staged next year with that turn out?

15/10/2012 at 12:51

Great reports, Daren2old. You both made my lunch break

So, when is next time, 2old??

And are you doing VLM, Daren??

I wish we had Runpix in Germany  - I passed so many people in the 2nd half, I'd be really interested in some stats

15/10/2012 at 12:55

Chick-VLM next I suppose. Suprisingly my OH who is not 100% in favour of this running thing and friends thought it would be nice to go back to Chicago so that may be on the agenda for next year. I think my time qualifies me for New York too so I wonder....plenty of time to decide.

15/10/2012 at 13:21
No Chick, I won't be running VLM! I neither have the time or inclination to put in the miles needed to do myself justice in a marathon at the moment.
15/10/2012 at 13:26

Yet another weekend of fantastic racing, well done guys and gals!

Daren/Neil - congrats on slaying the 1.30 dragon! Nice report, sounds a quick, if uninspiring course. I'd definitely recommend compression socks - I trialled them too late for VLM but have been a staple since. They're brilliant and I can't rate them highly enough.

Minni - well done on your PB. A PB is a PB is a PB and as someone else said, by shaving 2 seconds off leaves it nice and beatable for your next one!

Freemers - you must be so happy with that. A long road back, but I reckon you'll smash TM as you are in great shape.

Spooons - well done on your sub 1.40. I'd take your arm off for that at the minute!

O4S - cracking report. You really do inspire us all, please stick around

Cooks - another PB. You're way too quick for this thread!

And speaking off too quick, 2Old, definitely performance of the week. Really well done and a lovely report to boot. You must be chuffed to bits with that - sounds a very tough course, so to finish in that time, and just about in the top 100 is a brilliant effort. Take it easy for a week or two (I'm sure you won't!). 

15/10/2012 at 13:29

And Barry - I had to pick up on your awards story. Top work! The place I work at put on awards do's, so we can go to one a week if we like. There's so much bad behaviour around that I wouldn't worry too much - someone at one of ours was so annoyed at not winning, they got absolutely trashed and set the fire alarms off at the Grosvenor. The hotel guests weren't best pleased... 

15/10/2012 at 14:03

Afternoon All,

Congrats all round, it seems like everyone had a successful weekend.

I finally got around to getting the 5 inch layer of dust off of the bike (last used for L2B 2009!), and managed a 16 miler, so hopefully not long before i'm able to run again. 

Downside was that Mrs Oompa grabbed the opportunity to coerce me into clearing out the garage and putting the bbq etc away for the Winter!!!

15/10/2012 at 14:37

Daren- nice report and even better pacing.Some very fast miles in the mix.I had to smile when you 'slowed 'down to 6.43 and 6.52 pace. Cant say why your calves cramped up but if it was both I would guess its an accumulation of lactic acid but im probably well off the mark.Whats next if not banging out fast marathons- you have to chase down Cooks' HM pb at least!

15/10/2012 at 17:17

Congrats to Minni, O4S, Forever, Daren, freemers, cooks, spoons & 2old!

Daren, great report. I always wear compression socks. Cramps or fearing them, usually take a zero or two in the hours or day before? Gazelle likes an actual salt sachet in pocket. Could do some single leg squats and similar to build legs up also.

2old - I did see you! we were in the middle island half way down Upper Parly and shouted "2old" at you. You were in the zone!
Weird. I was in the pub with Vicky later, she was at Liz Yellings training camp in January with Jovi who I did the ultra with - who knows Minni. Phew. Small world.

I think the course was a little easier than last year, with 4 miles to catch your breath between Tunnel & Parliament Street rather than 2 miles and then less in the Parks. Most people knocked off 2-4 mins from last year.

The 10k mat was off by 0.2 or 0.3mile so ignore that time. sorry.
Did you also run near a blady guy in white vesttop, tatto on right arm, -  instructor at uber gym. He did 3:10:25 so very close to you.

Oh and I did find this photo of a speedster in Flckr.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-gx6NnRs2BBo/UHw11lUMaoI/AAAAAAAAAkg/Kz0wGHnFCpc/s640/old-photo.JPG

15/10/2012 at 17:20
Great race reports guys, very inspiring.

Re what's the best training. I think it's a case of what suits each individual. But as we're all different ages and sexes, we can only go off the WAVA results, and we all know who is the queen of that.
So we need to race ultras every other w/end, run/cycle to work all year round and cycle round the world during our holidays, simples!
15/10/2012 at 18:00
Daren + 2old, brilliant race reports, a delight to read!
15/10/2012 at 18:06
FRC- sorry to miss you but yes I was in the zone having just run up that hill. Wow what a very small world meeting Vicky.Not sure Im happy about that picture - I didn't know I ran with my eyes closed. Next time I'm wearing sun glasses as I usually do. I don't remember seeing the instructor but if I was running with my closed ,it's no suprise.
Others said the route was easier so I'm pleased about the changes. The park was less of a sries of loops too.It's not the fastest course even now though compared with most of the others Ive done.I guess the 10km marker was a 6m marker as it was just before the 10k racers turned off for their finish. I couldn't work out why a 10k time point was used in the marathon timing anyway.
It was a bit odd driving off for home at about 4 pm watching the remaining runners coming in . Good on them for keeping going and finishing the course.
15/10/2012 at 18:33

Vicky - I bet that was the same Vicky I was chatting to in the 'elite' () pen at the GNR!  Blonde, Liverpudlian?

have skimmed races reports because I've been very busy but will have a good read through after supper.

First day of starvation diet.  So far: 5 Snackerjacks, 2 Bananas, 3 coffees and water. Off to have a miniscule portious of mango pork and couscous.  I will run faster through weight loss, I will....

15/10/2012 at 18:52

Minni - Don't worry about the diet just run more.

2old -  Great report and very impressive pacing, can't see me getting anywhere near 3:10 at Abo, not being negative just realistic have been there before. Minni has set up a WAVA spreadsheet but I guess you have n't provided the important detail of your age. Guess who's the only person with a WAVA score in the 80's.

O4S -   Well run at Swindon, you are right it is a tough course, and there are many people would be ecstatic to run the times you do. Congrats on the first place, that is one thing most of us will never get.

Daren -  Great report and great pacing, greater things to come.

Edited: 15/10/2012 at 19:15
15/10/2012 at 19:29
Minni - So with all the great Pb's run this w/end, is the drinking your own blood/urine combo on hold for now, or was that your secret at GER?
15/10/2012 at 19:56

Just back from 30 minutes with our beginners group - good recovery run.  Now off for my hot date with the 23 year old ex-student...................

15/10/2012 at 20:11

Everyone who raced this weekend did sooooo well i bet you are all still on a high.

2old- Did you follow a training plan for the marathon? What is your 10k and half pb times? Nice pic

DD- I hope your calf sorts itself in time for your run tonight.

Minni- Starvation diet sounds yuk, I wish I could loose a few pounds but the more I think about losing them the more hungry I get!

04S- your race reports with all the hills,mud and cake have been an inspiration to many of us on here, so much so that I have entered a trail race on Saturday 3rd November, Total Ascent 1900 feet, 14.8miles yikes!

I did my first run today since my marathon, a 5mile plod avg 8:49mm, just another 3 plods for this week then hopefully I will be able to add some speed sessions in.

15/10/2012 at 20:13

We all drank each other's blood and urine at GER Simon - drinking your own is so last season.

15/10/2012 at 20:24

It's true. Minni went back for 2nd's

15/10/2012 at 20:31
Daren - I thought so. I presume Minni drank yours, hence why she was so fast!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.