RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

21,661 to 21,680 of 36,951 messages
15/10/2012 at 17:17

Congrats to Minni, O4S, Forever, Daren, freemers, cooks, spoons & 2old!

Daren, great report. I always wear compression socks. Cramps or fearing them, usually take a zero or two in the hours or day before? Gazelle likes an actual salt sachet in pocket. Could do some single leg squats and similar to build legs up also.

2old - I did see you! we were in the middle island half way down Upper Parly and shouted "2old" at you. You were in the zone!
Weird. I was in the pub with Vicky later, she was at Liz Yellings training camp in January with Jovi who I did the ultra with - who knows Minni. Phew. Small world.

I think the course was a little easier than last year, with 4 miles to catch your breath between Tunnel & Parliament Street rather than 2 miles and then less in the Parks. Most people knocked off 2-4 mins from last year.

The 10k mat was off by 0.2 or 0.3mile so ignore that time. sorry.
Did you also run near a blady guy in white vesttop, tatto on right arm, -  instructor at uber gym. He did 3:10:25 so very close to you.

Oh and I did find this photo of a speedster in Flckr.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-gx6NnRs2BBo/UHw11lUMaoI/AAAAAAAAAkg/Kz0wGHnFCpc/s640/old-photo.JPG

15/10/2012 at 17:20
Great race reports guys, very inspiring.

Re what's the best training. I think it's a case of what suits each individual. But as we're all different ages and sexes, we can only go off the WAVA results, and we all know who is the queen of that.
So we need to race ultras every other w/end, run/cycle to work all year round and cycle round the world during our holidays, simples!
15/10/2012 at 18:00
Daren + 2old, brilliant race reports, a delight to read!
15/10/2012 at 18:06
FRC- sorry to miss you but yes I was in the zone having just run up that hill. Wow what a very small world meeting Vicky.Not sure Im happy about that picture - I didn't know I ran with my eyes closed. Next time I'm wearing sun glasses as I usually do. I don't remember seeing the instructor but if I was running with my closed ,it's no suprise.
Others said the route was easier so I'm pleased about the changes. The park was less of a sries of loops too.It's not the fastest course even now though compared with most of the others Ive done.I guess the 10km marker was a 6m marker as it was just before the 10k racers turned off for their finish. I couldn't work out why a 10k time point was used in the marathon timing anyway.
It was a bit odd driving off for home at about 4 pm watching the remaining runners coming in . Good on them for keeping going and finishing the course.
15/10/2012 at 18:33

Vicky - I bet that was the same Vicky I was chatting to in the 'elite' () pen at the GNR!  Blonde, Liverpudlian?

have skimmed races reports because I've been very busy but will have a good read through after supper.

First day of starvation diet.  So far: 5 Snackerjacks, 2 Bananas, 3 coffees and water. Off to have a miniscule portious of mango pork and couscous.  I will run faster through weight loss, I will....

15/10/2012 at 18:52

Minni - Don't worry about the diet just run more.

2old -  Great report and very impressive pacing, can't see me getting anywhere near 3:10 at Abo, not being negative just realistic have been there before. Minni has set up a WAVA spreadsheet but I guess you have n't provided the important detail of your age. Guess who's the only person with a WAVA score in the 80's.

O4S -   Well run at Swindon, you are right it is a tough course, and there are many people would be ecstatic to run the times you do. Congrats on the first place, that is one thing most of us will never get.

Daren -  Great report and great pacing, greater things to come.

Edited: 15/10/2012 at 19:15
15/10/2012 at 19:29
Minni - So with all the great Pb's run this w/end, is the drinking your own blood/urine combo on hold for now, or was that your secret at GER?
15/10/2012 at 19:56

Just back from 30 minutes with our beginners group - good recovery run.  Now off for my hot date with the 23 year old ex-student...................

15/10/2012 at 20:11

Everyone who raced this weekend did sooooo well i bet you are all still on a high.

2old- Did you follow a training plan for the marathon? What is your 10k and half pb times? Nice pic

DD- I hope your calf sorts itself in time for your run tonight.

Minni- Starvation diet sounds yuk, I wish I could loose a few pounds but the more I think about losing them the more hungry I get!

04S- your race reports with all the hills,mud and cake have been an inspiration to many of us on here, so much so that I have entered a trail race on Saturday 3rd November, Total Ascent 1900 feet, 14.8miles yikes!

I did my first run today since my marathon, a 5mile plod avg 8:49mm, just another 3 plods for this week then hopefully I will be able to add some speed sessions in.

15/10/2012 at 20:13

We all drank each other's blood and urine at GER Simon - drinking your own is so last season.

15/10/2012 at 20:24

It's true. Minni went back for 2nd's

15/10/2012 at 20:31
Daren - I thought so. I presume Minni drank yours, hence why she was so fast!
15/10/2012 at 20:50
Great reports Daren, O4S and 2old. Really impressed by how everyone did.

FRC - any marathon is hard. And 2old has trained exceptionally well for Liverpool. I hope you're not trying to put down his exceptional time?
15/10/2012 at 20:52

Well said AA

15/10/2012 at 20:54
Minni- yes that's the lady . Funny who you meet in tunnels. Not sure about your diet..is it the Hollywood diet? Aren't you tapering now...don't get any crazier please
Barry- I' ll reserve judgement until you cross Abos finishing line. How do I access the spreadsheets easily without asking for links every time please? Age 53 , Jan '59 I don't like looking at it in print. I've never had a WAVA over 78 so that's me going no where. How's your taper going?
O4S- recovery run? After yesterday! Don't know how you do it..I got caught in the rain today and was soaked through as I could not run to the car . The adrenaline is wearing off and the pain is coming through.
Gazelle- 10k - 40.04(for now). Half - 1.28.45- most recent 1.32.28. Training plan- loosely based on Runners World 3hour plan but varied to allow for tri training and more recovery time and slower pace. Average mileage about 50-55 pw but peaking once at 73 miles. Minimal interval work but fair amount of MP runs( often the MLRs) . 10 long runs from 18 to 21 miles over 12/13 weeks excluding 2 week taper. 2 x10 k races only. One MLR per week 12-14 miles. Not very scientific.
Daren- think I will stick to red wine thanks. Very gothic ...will there be a Wickerman to burn at the TM I wonder? Better than the Angel of the North

So what's the view of you HM experts on the merits of me doing an HM on 4th November on the basis I would want to try for a pb? How should I train in the meantime bearing in mind walking is a bit of a problem at the moment.
Edited: 15/10/2012 at 21:08
15/10/2012 at 21:00

O4S - I can't believe you were thinking of ducking out for a while. No way.  I would never let that happen.  You've got no idea what an inspiration you are to us all and the times you race are awesome.  I'm going to get that WAVA table out because you are top of it and put us all to shame.  Now, I don't want to hear another word on the subject!

My runpix are not too hot either Spoons, 43rd lady, 10th in category.  I over took 21 people in the last bit but 21 overtook me .   Probably the same 21! lol!

I'm loving the reports from Daren and 2old at the same time!

2old - I loved your report.  If anything has inspired me that has.  So, so well done.  We were all sitting at the table drinking beer in Peterborough waiting for you to post your time and we raised a toast to you when it came through. 

FRC - what do you mean it was easier than last year?!  Rubbish!  26.2 miles is never easier!

Whoever got my urine at Peterborough struck lucky.  By Sunday it was pure beetroot juice with a bit of merlot mixed in!

15/10/2012 at 21:12

2Old, I would say that considering you'll be recovering this week and then it's only two weeks to your HM, any training you do between now and then isn't going to have much impact on your performance, so I'd keep it light on the miles as you'll still have the endurance from your marathon training, but just throw in a couple of short, sharp interval sessions that feel fast and hard while you're running, but don't really need any recovery - ie 6 x 400m - to get your leg-speed up. I think being well rested is the most important thing to concentrate on (I think I ran a grand total of about 8 miles in the week before my HM!).

15/10/2012 at 21:21
Minni - thanks for the toast but wasn't it blood ...sorry beetroot and urine not beer?Liverpool wasn't easier than last year for me cos I didn't do it last year. ..does that count ? Can't believe O4S was thinking of ducking out- didn't she know that once shes on the spread sheet ,quitting is not an option( good thing she's not listening) .
15/10/2012 at 21:24

GER report.

The conditions were perfect.  Met up with Freemers, Daren and Spoons beforehand and did a warm up with Freemers.  Nipped to the front to wish Rase Jase from the 3:15 thread luck, he didn't need it -  he ran 69:xx .

Got into position.  My plan was to run at 1:30 pace for as long as possible.  I kind of got jammed in in the first mile, 7:02, then got on target with 6:50, 6:47, 6:54, 7.00, 7;08 (ok that didn't last long!).  Took a gel, cherry, that squirted out all over my face and arm and looked as if I was bleeding.  I left it since I thought it was a good look! 6:57, 7:02; then.... 7;15, I was starting to feel the effects of the flat course now, 7:06, numb feeling starting in my quad that is a sign of cramp coming on. 7:23, decided to stop and stretch the quad out in a bid to stop it cramping, it helped: 7:08, 6:56, (6:54).  My garmin time 1:32.40 (2 second pb) but official time 1:32:55.  I didn't stop my garmin when I stopped to stretch but it did lose signal in the little tunnel so maybe that was it.

Came over the finish time and met Daren and Forever almost immediately.  They were both buzzing, I though Forever was going to take off!  I was so pleased for Daren because this was his race. Spoons came through just a few minutes later and we waited for Freemers, and waited and waited.  Then she text to see where we were.  We'd completely missed her finish!

I thought the whole event was great.  The course was good, organisation fantastic, the feel of a big event without being too big and of course the company was awesome.  I think I'll be back next year.

So this year I have raced 4 HMs.  First one in January, 1:33, second in March that measured 12.5 but finished just under 1:26, would have been a pb if it had gone the full distance, then September 1:33:08 and October just under 1:32:55.  My training didn't show that I'd pb so I'm pleased that I managed to hit these times in the last two. I feel its a true reflection of where I am and compared to last year I think I'm in a really good place to start spring marathon training when it comes.  However, I do have a marathon to complete before then...!

15/10/2012 at 21:31

Wow wow wow what a weekend and a lot to catch up on.  I have been following closely, just not posting as too hangover on Sunday and crazy busy at work today.

O4S- great news on the results.

Becs- welcome back, hope you're resting. I'll say what the others have said already- well done for toughing it up.  26m is a long way to go when things don't go to plan.  Keeping going in Copenhagen when I knew I had no chance in hell to get near my target while hating every minute of it was one of the hardest things I've ever done and you were also injured- it must've been hell.  So be kind to yourself.

FRC- well done for entering another ultra.  Sounds like you've got the bug!

And onto the weekend racing...

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.