RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

21,661 to 21,680 of 37,114 messages
15/10/2012 at 20:50
Great reports Daren, O4S and 2old. Really impressed by how everyone did.

FRC - any marathon is hard. And 2old has trained exceptionally well for Liverpool. I hope you're not trying to put down his exceptional time?
15/10/2012 at 20:52

Well said AA

15/10/2012 at 20:54
Minni- yes that's the lady . Funny who you meet in tunnels. Not sure about your diet..is it the Hollywood diet? Aren't you tapering now...don't get any crazier please
Barry- I' ll reserve judgement until you cross Abos finishing line. How do I access the spreadsheets easily without asking for links every time please? Age 53 , Jan '59 I don't like looking at it in print. I've never had a WAVA over 78 so that's me going no where. How's your taper going?
O4S- recovery run? After yesterday! Don't know how you do it..I got caught in the rain today and was soaked through as I could not run to the car . The adrenaline is wearing off and the pain is coming through.
Gazelle- 10k - 40.04(for now). Half - 1.28.45- most recent 1.32.28. Training plan- loosely based on Runners World 3hour plan but varied to allow for tri training and more recovery time and slower pace. Average mileage about 50-55 pw but peaking once at 73 miles. Minimal interval work but fair amount of MP runs( often the MLRs) . 10 long runs from 18 to 21 miles over 12/13 weeks excluding 2 week taper. 2 x10 k races only. One MLR per week 12-14 miles. Not very scientific.
Daren- think I will stick to red wine thanks. Very gothic ...will there be a Wickerman to burn at the TM I wonder? Better than the Angel of the North

So what's the view of you HM experts on the merits of me doing an HM on 4th November on the basis I would want to try for a pb? How should I train in the meantime bearing in mind walking is a bit of a problem at the moment.
Edited: 15/10/2012 at 21:08
15/10/2012 at 21:00

O4S - I can't believe you were thinking of ducking out for a while. No way.  I would never let that happen.  You've got no idea what an inspiration you are to us all and the times you race are awesome.  I'm going to get that WAVA table out because you are top of it and put us all to shame.  Now, I don't want to hear another word on the subject!

My runpix are not too hot either Spoons, 43rd lady, 10th in category.  I over took 21 people in the last bit but 21 overtook me .   Probably the same 21! lol!

I'm loving the reports from Daren and 2old at the same time!

2old - I loved your report.  If anything has inspired me that has.  So, so well done.  We were all sitting at the table drinking beer in Peterborough waiting for you to post your time and we raised a toast to you when it came through. 

FRC - what do you mean it was easier than last year?!  Rubbish!  26.2 miles is never easier!

Whoever got my urine at Peterborough struck lucky.  By Sunday it was pure beetroot juice with a bit of merlot mixed in!

15/10/2012 at 21:12

2Old, I would say that considering you'll be recovering this week and then it's only two weeks to your HM, any training you do between now and then isn't going to have much impact on your performance, so I'd keep it light on the miles as you'll still have the endurance from your marathon training, but just throw in a couple of short, sharp interval sessions that feel fast and hard while you're running, but don't really need any recovery - ie 6 x 400m - to get your leg-speed up. I think being well rested is the most important thing to concentrate on (I think I ran a grand total of about 8 miles in the week before my HM!).

15/10/2012 at 21:21
Minni - thanks for the toast but wasn't it blood ...sorry beetroot and urine not beer?Liverpool wasn't easier than last year for me cos I didn't do it last year. ..does that count ? Can't believe O4S was thinking of ducking out- didn't she know that once shes on the spread sheet ,quitting is not an option( good thing she's not listening) .
15/10/2012 at 21:24

GER report.

The conditions were perfect.  Met up with Freemers, Daren and Spoons beforehand and did a warm up with Freemers.  Nipped to the front to wish Rase Jase from the 3:15 thread luck, he didn't need it -  he ran 69:xx .

Got into position.  My plan was to run at 1:30 pace for as long as possible.  I kind of got jammed in in the first mile, 7:02, then got on target with 6:50, 6:47, 6:54, 7.00, 7;08 (ok that didn't last long!).  Took a gel, cherry, that squirted out all over my face and arm and looked as if I was bleeding.  I left it since I thought it was a good look! 6:57, 7:02; then.... 7;15, I was starting to feel the effects of the flat course now, 7:06, numb feeling starting in my quad that is a sign of cramp coming on. 7:23, decided to stop and stretch the quad out in a bid to stop it cramping, it helped: 7:08, 6:56, (6:54).  My garmin time 1:32.40 (2 second pb) but official time 1:32:55.  I didn't stop my garmin when I stopped to stretch but it did lose signal in the little tunnel so maybe that was it.

Came over the finish time and met Daren and Forever almost immediately.  They were both buzzing, I though Forever was going to take off!  I was so pleased for Daren because this was his race. Spoons came through just a few minutes later and we waited for Freemers, and waited and waited.  Then she text to see where we were.  We'd completely missed her finish!

I thought the whole event was great.  The course was good, organisation fantastic, the feel of a big event without being too big and of course the company was awesome.  I think I'll be back next year.

So this year I have raced 4 HMs.  First one in January, 1:33, second in March that measured 12.5 but finished just under 1:26, would have been a pb if it had gone the full distance, then September 1:33:08 and October just under 1:32:55.  My training didn't show that I'd pb so I'm pleased that I managed to hit these times in the last two. I feel its a true reflection of where I am and compared to last year I think I'm in a really good place to start spring marathon training when it comes.  However, I do have a marathon to complete before then...!

15/10/2012 at 21:31

Wow wow wow what a weekend and a lot to catch up on.  I have been following closely, just not posting as too hangover on Sunday and crazy busy at work today.

O4S- great news on the results.

Becs- welcome back, hope you're resting. I'll say what the others have said already- well done for toughing it up.  26m is a long way to go when things don't go to plan.  Keeping going in Copenhagen when I knew I had no chance in hell to get near my target while hating every minute of it was one of the hardest things I've ever done and you were also injured- it must've been hell.  So be kind to yourself.

FRC- well done for entering another ultra.  Sounds like you've got the bug!

And onto the weekend racing...

15/10/2012 at 21:35

Gazelle - I've put on about 4 pounds since London and just cant shift then.  I'm almost ready to go down the eating disorder line!  I've been really good today but before I knew it I'd downed a couple of glasses of wine tonight. 

2old - I don't know .. am I tapering?!  Since I haven't marathon trained as such I don't know!

Come on then lets have some fun on the WAVA table...

15/10/2012 at 21:46

Congrats Team Minni- what a great weekend!

Darren- whoop whoop- what a result.  You're getting too fast for this thread!

Free- great run and much faster than intended!

Minni- yay, PB!!!.  Very very well done and sounds like you're happy with the result. You're obviously back to your best which is brilliant.

2Old- absolutely blown away.  Amazing result, many many congrats!

Cooks- Congrats on a pb and hope the beer went down well!

Forever- great run from you! 1:28- get in

Spoons- glad to hear you enjoyed the run and the day.  Well done.

O4S- don't you dare ducking out, you're an inspiration to everyone.  Great HM from you.

15/10/2012 at 21:57
Minni - i think you were disappointed- if im wrong sorry but dont be -just when you think it's all coming together something undermines it ..were it not for that bout of cramp you would have well and truly smashed your pb .Interesting you and Daren both suffered with cramp. I read that just as you have to train for hilly courses so you have to for flat ones possibly more so as you tend to use a limited range of muscles.The training you've done recently appears to have been on hilly routes. Also don't forget you are constantly racing. Allow a day per mile to fully recover. When did you last observe that rule? I am in awe of your ability to keep banging out quality training and impressive races week after week and this race is up there as a high quality run. Now please taper properly relax and get the most out of TM . Sorry to go on but I'm determined to celebrate you going sub 3.15 at Chandos next year
Look at me it's taken until October to pb then I get two!
15/10/2012 at 21:58

Minni- you were not far off with with the gutter. I got absolutely smashed at the wedding on copious amounts of lovely champaigne (what was a girl to do) and wine topped up with some shots (me thinks). It's all a bit hazy from the speeches onwards... 

I managed a 5m shuffle tomorrow (not sure how) but otherwise couldn't bring myself to even lift the laptop not to even mention posting. 

Back on the wagon today and not getting off it for the next three weeks. Well... maybe a cheeky glass of red with SSheep on Sunday. 6m easy today, the same tomorrow and 15 with 13 @ MP on Wednesday. 

15/10/2012 at 22:04
I meant I managed the shuffle yesterday... Definitely killed some brain cells...
15/10/2012 at 22:06
Minni - looks like Daren isn't trying and I'm keeping quiet about how bad I'm doing. How do I input my times to get the readings or better still would someone with an IT brain do it for me- what do you need? I've enjoyed my first glasses of wine tonight for two weeks. I didn't want to drink after the race which was a major cause for concern
Bro-many thanks ..wondered where you've been ,taper time for you too ,now that's going to be tough. Going to enjoy watching your mental decline over the next few weeks.
15/10/2012 at 22:13

2old - no I'm not disappointed at all, seriously I'm not.  Last year when I first ran 1:32 I then got injured and missed about 6 weeks.  I came back with a HM time of 1:36 and felt I'd lost everything.  I now feel I've naturally moved up a level from then since I'm able to get the 1:32/33 times without going hell for leather in training to achieve it.   Again, the lead up to VLM people were saying that 3:15 was on the cards for me but I didn't really feel it.  I wanted to but it wasn't there.  Whereas I'm happy to put my neck out now and say I will definitely be hoping to achieve that in 6 months time.

I don't feel as if I race enough.  I'm wondering if I maybe need more races to get my speed work in.  I've always done it on my own but I'm feeling its getting harder as I expect faster times.  Saying that, there's not many races to be had around here.  Most are Newcastle and that's an hour away.  I don't mind it for a target race but its a long way to go just to knock out a few faster miles,

15/10/2012 at 22:15

2old - I think we've been here before.  PM me (or post on here!) your age and pbs and I'll do the graft for you!

15/10/2012 at 22:27
Minni - great ,sorry to read in something I shouldn't. The written word can play games with us.Anyway you have a solid platform to do it at VLM and I'm buying the drink to celebrate. Now what isit blood,urine beetroot? Ok I will pm you ..my IT training stopped with the abacus..just need to finish my pork pie
15/10/2012 at 22:34

Cramp - I've suffered from cramp in the past but rarely do now.  In my opinion it has less to do with salts or fluides and more to do with running too fast too early.  For example I've never had cramp in a marathon but have in HMs and most often in 10ks.  Also, I have been more prone to it in flat races.  Yesterday brought back reminders of the BM a couple of years ago when I was reduced to a painful shuffle in the last couple of miles.   Thankfully it didn't get to that stage yesterday.

15/10/2012 at 22:39
Minni - re WAVA can you ask O4S fora copy of her birth certificate. Those are bordering on world class statistics. Note to self - train more and harder.
O4S- told you ,you are an inspiration ..thanks
15/10/2012 at 22:45

My cramp was entirely to do with running in flats, as I've only had it once before and that was the only other time I tried to run a HM in flats (at Norwich last year). I imagine it's due to the longer drop making the calves work harder than they're used to. However, as I want to keep racing in flats, I've got to find a solution!

WAVA is rubbish for us relative youngsters! My marathon is particularly embarrassing...

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.