RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

21,741 to 21,760 of 36,995 messages
17/10/2012 at 15:16
Freemers - I'll be doing 10 this weekend.
17/10/2012 at 15:21

Minni - I think I will make my mind up on Sunday...this is why I hate the taper as my head is all over the place thinking too much about it!

17/10/2012 at 15:58

Saw this link on another thread and thought it was quite good...for the ladies mainly..if you are thinking about Christmas presents...

17/10/2012 at 16:12

So do you think 50 miles this Saturday is a bit far with the TM one week later?

This is called efficient training, my first, last and longest LSR all rolled into one

17/10/2012 at 16:20
O4S - I see nothing wrong with that for you.- a proverbial walk in the park . For me it would be suicidal !
Cheerful Dave    pirate
17/10/2012 at 17:04
Freemers wrote (see)

My brother has run Boston then London once before - if I remember he did a good time in Boston but struggled in London. 6 days apart - not sure I could do it!

2006.  Boston went OK, London was fine up to halfway then I hit the wall big time about 10 miles too early.  Splits of 1:22/2:02 tell the story!

OTOH, a couple of years later I skipped London to do Boston the week afterwards, and a guy I went out there with who had run in London got within 5 minutes of his time from a week earlier.  Mind you, he did do all 5 marathon majors that year so he's a bit of a nutter.

Freemers wrote (see)

My photos are terrible

I know, I've seen your baby ones.

17/10/2012 at 17:32

My photos are terrible too.

I bet Freemers was a very cute baby...

17/10/2012 at 20:30
Evening all

Freemers - my plan is 9 if my calf is ok. I have run 3 miles all week so this is what I call a taper

2old - just looked. Boston has closed. I was tempted...

Bro - I don't envy your run this morning. It was caining it down here at 6am.

Minni - I'm up for a visit to start fitness... Shall we do that before or after our liquid lunch
17/10/2012 at 21:10

Oh I think after AA.  Its always more fun when a bit tipsy!  Calf still not good?

8 miles tonight @ 8:20 and it felt much better than 3 @ 9m/m I did yesterday.

Freemers, O4S and others HERE is some footage of the TM marathon.  It was freezing and wet that year but I've booked a bright, crisp and still day for this year.

Edited: 17/10/2012 at 21:12
17/10/2012 at 21:53

Bro - well done getting a session like that done at 6am when you were probably already mentally and physically tired.  You have got so much determination inside you to work hard, I really hope you have the race you deserve to have on 4th November

Freemers I wouldn't be doing a 14/15 miler a week before a marathon, maybe 10 at a push.  Ignore the taper madness demon telling you to squeeze in a few more miles! Don't leave the race in training and all that (says she who practically forgot about doing long runs for her last marathon)

Cheerful Dave - 1:22 then 2:02 - ouch!   Good to know, Sunderland marathon is a week after London next year and it's only up the road... but ouch! Maybe just do the 10K then.

Same weather as last year's TM would be brilliant Minni.  I can do Start Fitness but DO NOT let me buy any more running kit as I've got more than enough!

How's the calf doing AA? Nothing like a good taper

There's a pub in Newcastle we were in last night that sells alcohol free Erdinger (made famous at the finish of Berlin marathon) They also sell a good selection of other beers including Berliner, Paulaner and Erdinger with a bit of a kick to it.  Post Town Moor refuelling

17/10/2012 at 22:01
Free - love that positive split of your brother !
AA- there's always 2014 for Boston
Spoons- what's the connection with that part of the world and German beer? What's wrong with Newcastle brown Ale?
17/10/2012 at 22:12

I'm up for Start Fitness - but will have to try and keep my wallet firmly closed.

My cold has developed to the point that I have now completely lost my voice.  I was lecturing / giving tutorials for 4 hours on the bounce this morning and ended up squeaking pathetically at my third years who wondered what on earth I was doing.  Feeling horrible and not relishing the thought of 50 miles this weekend.  I was hoping for a spot of sympathy and TLC this evening but was greeted by the broken ankle with 'Thank God, someone has located the volume control at last'

17/10/2012 at 22:25
Lol O4S! You could give it a miss this weekend? I was telling Pam last night about your action packed last few weeks and the fact you're doing both RR and TM, making her feel like a whimp for not doing the TM too. She's marshalling though and will come for some nosh with us afterwards.

Freemers - meant to say, I like that link! Perfect present for a runner. I wonder if they do exclusive charms like the Xempo t-shirts. I wish I'd had that idea.
17/10/2012 at 22:26
Freemers - maybe your cheerful brother will buy you one for Christmas?
17/10/2012 at 22:39
Daren - As one of the fastest runners on this thread, I presumed you must be pretty efficient already. Minamalist shoes normally have a drop of about 4mm to zero drop between heal and forefoot, flats a bit more. So as DD has said, your Achilles and calves get stretched further, so yes you ideally need to run as much in them as possible, for them to adjust. Compression socks help the problem, but don't solve it, you just need run more in them.

Red - MK again, you just want another wet,windy and freezing cold mara. One of the lasting images of Manchester mara that day was, a young lad getting one of his friends to take his socks off, so he could carry on with them on his hands, it was that cold.
17/10/2012 at 22:57

Evening! Just a short recovery run for me tonight.

Minni - spikes?

p.s. I've just entered the Wales Trail Marathon......

17/10/2012 at 23:00

Google it - it says something about being brutal and the most challenging event ever blah blah......

18/10/2012 at 06:38
When's that Spoons?
18/10/2012 at 06:46

June 203

http://www.trailmarathonwales.com/

18/10/2012 at 07:27

Spoons - Is it just a single marathon? After your multi day ultra this will be a walk in the park, or should I say National park.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.