RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

21,781 to 21,800 of 37,332 messages
18/10/2012 at 22:37
O4S - Enjoy your 50m jog, try not to lose Broken ankle, and eat plenty of cake.

Kiwi - Hope you can get to the bottom of knee prob.

Re xempo tops. If you have a fast coloured top, and your having a crap race, won't people thing you're just some sad loser who's bought a faster top than you can run at?
18/10/2012 at 23:13
No Simon, the point is that you can't buy them unless you can provide proof you've actually done the time you say. Think I'll probably give it a miss until I get the sub-1:25
Minni, haha, the stupid thing is that I'm checking the watch when I've got about 30m to go and there's a huge display of the time in front of me!
Spoons, Mo doesn't even do HMs. Lazy if you ask me.
18/10/2012 at 23:30

lol!  That glance might have cost you a second!

Agree about Mo. He pulled out of GNR.  Scared off by the quality of elite ladies I think!

19/10/2012 at 05:12

This will be my 4th Abo, so I must like it, 3:16(2009),3:21(2010) and 3:26(2011) so hopefully going to reverse the trend and go a bit quicker than last year, 3:15 has always been the  target after my first mara in 2009, feeling a bit apprehensive about it  but what will be will be.  Weather was looking a bit naff but forecast has changed and now looks good.

Mo ran New York HM last year in just over 60 mins.

19/10/2012 at 06:05
Daren - Oh that's good news. Do you think your mate Neil sent off for one as soon as he realised he'd been given your sub 1:30 time. I bet he photocopied that result pretty sharpish.
19/10/2012 at 09:20

BarryB: Blimey, going 3:16 on your first marathon is seriously FAST! Hope the dentist got you sorted. And fingers crossed for reversing the downward trend

Gazelle & Bro: it's not only the boredom that's getting to me - it's the complete and utter loss of speed! 9mm feels like 10k pace when I run. Dreadful . Usually I feel better the 2nd week after a marathon but not this time. And I have a 10k coming up on October 28 - if I don't improve next week I'll end up last

O4S: hope the 50mile plod goes well

kiwi: bummer about the knee - any idea what it might be?

Spoons: tough session! What sort of recoveries did you do inbetween?

19/10/2012 at 10:11

Daren - if your time had been muddled with a lady's she could have used it for a champs start at VLM

The one and only time I wore my Xempo top at the gym a guy asked me what the time was for...when I explained you could only buy the shirt if you had proof you had run that time he said "Oh, 3.30, is that good then?"  

Chick - I think you will surprise yourself at the 10k once you get into race mode again.  At the moment your head isn't there yet, but it will be

Barry - getting excited for you now..I am sure you are going to smash it on Sunday

19/10/2012 at 11:18

Good luck Barry. Sure you will smash it. Positive thoughts all in your direction.

Daren, those T-shirts naff. to put it another way, if it had the time in big 8 inch high numbers, would you buy one? Er. no. Too showy. and meaningless to most anyway - tried to explain to a friend who did a 10k in 1:05 that his marker of a "good runner" being a sub 3 hr marathon was a little tough as a target. especially at age of 58.

Brol, Getting excited. You will be fine. Remember your recent half marathon, you were flying!

O4S good luck tomorrow with RR. Maybe next year for me.

2old how you feeling? Sure I saw another pic of you, will try find it.

Legs still a bit tired after the ultra. Don't know how O4S keeps knocking them out. Club speed okay on Tuesday, 10 x 600m street loop between 1:55-2:05, a few slower, but then tired on Wednesday so skipped gym, good nights sleep and better tempo run last night. League 10k on Sunday so just going to see how I feel... If the red mist descents then fine. If not, no pressure.

Edited: 19/10/2012 at 11:20
19/10/2012 at 11:51

Is wearing the Xempo top any different though from putting up the VLM fridge magnet (which I have and I know I'm not the only one!). I guess only people you know and invite into your house would see that, and they can just take the p**s if they want!  I don't think they are naff as such, just that I would be very aware of the time on my back - hence why I don't wear it "in public" any more.

FRC - you must have realised by now that O4S is not mortal...  Good luck with the 10k!

19/10/2012 at 12:05
Ok, it sounds like it's a general thumbs down to the xempo. Like you say FRC it's meaningless to most people anyway, although I wasn't planning on wearing it down the pub like Freemers does
Good luck Barry! I'm sure you're going to have a great race.
Freemers, I've booked in for the sex change. Championship start here I come!
Has anyone tried plyometrics? Did 20 mins of it after my core this morning. Don't know if it'll do any good but thought it was worth a go. Then did what was meant to be 11 miles GA in my flats, but ended up averaging 7:09 which was a bit faster than GA!
19/10/2012 at 12:05

Clearly! Highlander was on the other day, kind of expected O4S to be running through in some of the scenes. Being immortal would explain a lot

19/10/2012 at 12:46

Daren - I've done some plyometrics. Supposed to be great. I didn't really notice a lot of difference...

Chick - recovery was half the time of the rep. Have some rest and you'll get back into race mode at the 10km. Do a few strides beforehand.

Rest day for me today

19/10/2012 at 13:15

Spoons: sounds like a  session!

Daren: I did plyos too but found they are a recipe for injury. Any short sharp bouncing action is to be treated with caution ...  I reckon they are more relevant for sprinters and footballers and done on tired marathon legs they can be quite dangerous. Mind you, your pace is almost sprinting pace, so they may be good for you

Freemers: I use the fridge magnet too. I had a spare VLM 2011 one and turned into a Bremen 2012 one so I could display my new PB

19/10/2012 at 14:21

Chick -  My first mara was 3:20 at Stratford in April 2009,  3:16 was my second.  Only got close to 3:15 on one more occassion 3:17 at Gloucester in 2011 and I was in tears at the end cause I thought I had done it, a bit pathetic really but I guess you are mentally drained as well as physically drained at the end of a mara,  after a few days I was over it, realised I had done pretty well on a hilly course.  Tooth feels better today so fingers crossed.

Daren - My physio had me doing drills but it was giving my calf grief so I stopped. Nice quick running from you.

19/10/2012 at 14:21

Nothing wring with that chick

8 easy today, average 7.58, nice . Only 4 more runs and 9 sleeps until the TM.

19/10/2012 at 14:23
Well chick, I am naturally a sprinter - 100m was my distance when I was younger - and I'm a footballer too so it should be perfect for me! Plus I wouldn't do them on tired marathon legs cos I don't do marathons seriously though the injury risk is a worry especially as I'm incredibly inflexible!
Strangely enough I haven't got my VLM fridge magnet up...
19/10/2012 at 16:43
Freemers wrote (see)

Is wearing the Xempo top any different though from putting up the VLM fridge magnet (which I have and I know I'm not the only one!).

I love my fridge magnets!

8 easy Freemers?  If that's easy then what is MP?!

19/10/2012 at 17:07

Damn Free, nice easy pace there!

Barry- glad the teeth are settling.

I did 4m easy this morning with some strides. XC tomorrow. Taper madness hasn't even properly kicked off yet and Moz is already getting sick of me. But seriously 10m Sunday run??? What am I going to do with myself???

On a flip side I think I've managed to crack the KL job today so might have more time to obsess about NY next week and drive everyone else around me insane!

19/10/2012 at 17:17

10 miles Brol? The man's insane!  I only have 8 to do on Sunday.  I'm heading out soon for 10 with 6@ MP and tomorrow is supposed to be off but I've committed to run an hour of a 50m relay....

19/10/2012 at 21:18
Rest day for me today. I'm having a beer. I can no longer go to tri club on Friday nights because I take my son to cubs instead.

I may have to start getting out of bed earlier for early morning swimming....
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.