RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

201 to 220 of 37,190 messages
13/01/2011 at 06:56
Yep 10m GA today. I'll have to run tonight and not sure if I'll have time for the full 10. I'm on a very tight schedule for the next couple of days.

I did 5m recovery last night and I've found that I'm really tired after them. I went to bed feeling as if I could sleep for a week!

CG...Are you cutting back your mileage a bit next week ready for the half? I notice on the RW mileage thingy that your right up there with your mileage with well over a hundred miles for January do far.

DD... What's the cycling session you have planned? I can't wait for the longer days to get back out on the wheels.
13/01/2011 at 07:40

Excellent news AA

Good luck with squeezing in your run Minni. Do you manage to s;leep ok after an evening run? It's one of the reasons I run in the mornings.

I'm not sure what Moraghan has planned for next week yet but I know he isn't a fan of tapering for secondary races. I do get to run 18 instead of 20 tomorrow though.

13/01/2011 at 07:56
18 instead of 20 sounds like an easy taper

What do they mean by an aerobic run? Is it just an easy run?

And where is this "RW mileage thingy"?
13/01/2011 at 08:09

Mr Spoons - here is the RW thingy.   Click on the link on this thread, sign up and enter your mileage.  Its quite interesting, east vs west.

My aerobic runs are about 8.40 - 9.00 m/m.  

Sleeping - I find it harder to sleep after a harder session than an easier one, and  I sleep really badly after a race. 

CG - glad you here you're getting an easier run tomorrow!

Edited: 13/01/2011 at 08:13
13/01/2011 at 08:10

Oops just linked that with my log on details!  Will try to change it....

.... sorted. 

Edited: 13/01/2011 at 08:13
Dubai Dave    pirate
13/01/2011 at 09:14

I think everyone finds it hard to sleep well after a hard session, hence I never sleep very well on Wednesday nights!

A Aerobic run is just that but a easy conversational run not at MP nor as slow as recovery.

Another fan of not tapering for secondary races, for my last marathon in October I raced a sprint triathlon on the Friday, then did a aerobic 6 miles on the saturday before racing on the Sunday.

Minni, Today was a easy 25 miles on the bike pre dawn as I'm racing tomorrow.

13/01/2011 at 17:52

Easing back in easy - did 17 miles on the treadmill this morning. (!) Plan was to run on the treadmill and stop if I felt bad. Always easier running on a treadmill and feels kind of cheating. Took it at 11.4kph for 2 hours and did the last 5k at 8m/m. Just feel a bit tired this evening and I can't run tomorrow. Not gonna try and push any speed work until I'm completely over it.

What long ones is everyone planning this weekend?

CG - good luck on your 18 tomorrow - that will fell like a short run!

Minni - hope you manage to get your run in tonight. I never run in the evenigs. Sometimes I wish I could as I put myself under so much pressure sometimes to get the run out the way before work.

13/01/2011 at 21:56

Cough, cough... AA... 17 miles!  What are you like?!  Great session especially with the last 5k @ 8m/m.

DD good luck with the race. Is it running, cycling or tri?  Did you say you're doing the Dubai marathon, which I think is a week tomorrow? 

I squeezed in 8 miles tonight at 9.13m/m  with the last mile at 8.03.  I now have 24 miles left to do this week and if I do the fell race on Sunday, which is 12,  that leaves 12 over tomorrow and Saturday.... 

Dubai Dave    pirate
14/01/2011 at 15:44

Hi All late in today was racing a Olympic Tri in Abu Dhabi on the F1 circuit, finished 3rd M50 yet again!

AA: 17 miles on tready takes some doing, I have done similar tready runs in the past, I actually find tresdy runs harder than outside.

Minni: Dubai marathon is next friday, have no idea how it will go as I have hardly run above 30MPW for a year, but have done a lot of cycling and swimming as well. At Athens in October I got tired in the last 4 miles but beat quite a few clubmates who would quite often beat me, so might be fitter than I think. Will set off at 4-50 Min/K's either it will work or the wheels will come off, but at least I will have tried.

14/01/2011 at 15:57

Great stuff DD! Remind me of the Olympic Tri distances?    My cousin-in-law did the Athens marathon but can't remember his time.  Well over 4hrs I think.

Cross training for me tonight in the form of 5 11yr old boys for a sleep ovver.....

14/01/2011 at 16:32

AA - You nutter! I don't think I could run 17 miles on a treadmill

Minni - Good luck with the sleepover. It sounds tough.

Ran with 2 hard core fell running friends today on a route including some of a really tough fell race (Blackamore). Ended up with 20 miles with over 2000 feet of ascent with average pace of 10:15. Did the last mile on road in 8:30.

14/01/2011 at 18:52
Nice run CG, Sounds familiar! Is it wet under foot? Was that your long run for the week? I like to add a mile or two on the road to the end of a fell run run, just to get that bit of speed up. I wear fell shoes and they're not ideal in the road though!
14/01/2011 at 22:10

Very wet, Minni. My fell shoes that had been nicely cleaned by the snow are now disgusting.

I agree about fell shoes on the road. We were all hobbling along and moaning about our knees. Not a great advertisement for running

14/01/2011 at 22:23

Just dropping in to say Hi Minni. There is a good flow to this thread and no free running shoes or gear in sight - real running and real people - it's what I like!

17 miles on the treadmill AA - how long did that take - have you got one at home as they usually chuck you off at the gym or they shut down after an hour?

Minni wrote (see)
Nice run CG, Sounds familiar! Is it wet under foot? Was that your long run for the week? I like to add a mile or two on the road to the end of a fell run run, just to get that bit of speed up. I wear fell shoes and they're not ideal in the road though!

I can never get the momentum up on XC or trail - I prefer the tarmac I'm afraid to say. I've noticed on my Garmin naytime I do a LSR that has a mixture of XC and tarmac, I always get a more consistant reading in terms of constant pace on the tarmac than XC. That's what I like, to get into a zone where you can knock out the miles.

Agree with MM, you should be dipping back into the sub 3.15 thread. I do and I'm not a sub 3.15 'er yet!

Dubai Dave    pirate
15/01/2011 at 10:34

KR: Nowt free on here except advice and hopefully motivation, I should imagine most are slower of road but I do love pounding the hills / trails myself, tarmac can be very boring.

I also lurk on the 3-15 thread from time to time, not that I have many aspirations to reach sub 3-15 anymore, still would like to be sub 3 age graded though, I have been so close so often!

15/01/2011 at 12:02

KR - took about 2hours 23. Yes I have an old reconditioned precor oe in the garage. Find it good mental training!! But then I am a bit mental!!

7 miles on trails and road today in 8 min/mile ave - found that bloody tough and coughed a lot at the end. Into the wind was a killer, but lovely with the wind behind you!!

15/01/2011 at 13:54
Well windy here today too. Completed my first ever progressive run today - swapped long run to today as my club is hosting the local x-country 2mrw, so that will be a short fast 4 mile race.

So mentally was dreading this session, have never added marathon pace at the end of a long run (probably exactly why my marathon times have only improved by 1-2 mins in the last couple of years!) Did 15 miles, first 6 at 9m20 and last 9 at 8m20 - i know this wasn't hitting 8m/m, is that really bad at this stage of training? I was just so pleased to have picked up the pace in a long run.......

What mileage is everyone else doing this wkend for their long run?
15/01/2011 at 16:50
Hi Kiwi, that's fine at this stage. It's only January. I don't do any MP stuff in my long runs until Feb.
Dubai Dave    pirate
15/01/2011 at 17:52
Kiwi: It doesn't matter what pace you kicked up to towards the end, its the fact that you did kick upwards that matters, well done
15/01/2011 at 18:46
Thanks guys, it did feel like a good run.
Thought would check as am still getting a handle on the P&D schedule.
201 to 220 of 37,190 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.