RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

22,601 to 22,620 of 37,321 messages
09/11/2012 at 09:32

Hey Mr Z - we've missed you on here...I was beginning to think that Cheerful Dave may have worn you to the ground with his training regime...come on, you can tell me if he's being mean

Oompa - nightmare for you with the calf.  I had a popping calf a few years back - extremely painful. Never found out whether it was a tear, but it "went" several times - eventually I worked out that it was going whenever I tried to accelerate in my speed work, so if I kept the speed way down I could run - so never did anything faster than about 8.30s for months. I still had a nagging fear that it would go, but it never did after that. It might be an idea for you to just keep it dead slow for a while?

Daren - good to see you doing Yasso 800s...they work out at a 2.50 marathon

Gazelle - repeat after me "trails are bad, road is good, trails are bad, road is good..."

I ended up being sensible and not running yesterday. I'm feeling a lot better today so will get out there later. Gearing up for the Stowmarket 7 on Sunday - just going to blast it I think.

09/11/2012 at 09:33

KFC - Exploding calves make an awful mess of the road, took some cleaning up i can tell you!

Simon & DD - It makes a slight pop, followed by getting really hot and then feels like there's a small hard lump under the skin??? The most annoying thing is that isn't a major injury... Just bloody annoying!!!!

Oh well, back in the pool.

09/11/2012 at 09:36

x-post - Oompa, yes, that's exactly how mine felt.  Seriously, take a week or two off then try running slow...it will be very frustrating, but did the trick for me. I got through FLM 2009 on a schedule of 8.30's, as my calf had gone in the January that year, ran it in 3.47 which is not far off that pace!

09/11/2012 at 10:27

ouch, Oompa. How frustrating. Hope you can sort it out somehow. Calf pain sucks.

Mr Z: great to have you back with us. What are you up to next?

Gazelle: I'm with you 100%. Trail is something we can do when we can no longer improve our road racing. Yeah, it may make us stronger but it's damn painful and there's a massive injury risk going offroad. As you everyone can see, I'm a wuss too

Fit-Running-Cat wrote (see)

My bug was just a 24-30 hour thing, very frustrating, Mrs FRC had something on Thursday/ Friday and got it quickly off her. I hate taking lemsip etc due to the affect on heart rate. Any recommendations on preventative things to take, more than just vitamin C/D and healthy diet?

Glad you are feeling better, FRC. I swear by First Defence & Echinacea. Whenever I'm exposed to sneezing sniffling people I use the First Defence. I also use it at the first sign of a sore throat or if I feel particularly run down. The only annoying thig abou the echinacea is that it aggravates my asthma so I have to use the inhaler more. But it's a small price to pay and deffo beats a full blown cold any day.

Minni wrote (see)

Said 'new chap' has been running with us for about 3 months.  He's in his mid 50's and new to running.  He did his first HM a couple of weeks ago and ran 1:45. His wife was quite upset when he didn't eat his tuna sandwiches she'd lovingly made and put in his bumbag for half way! 

PML Minni. That's absolutely hilarious. Tuna sarnies in a half. Classic.

09/11/2012 at 10:42

Free - You're absolutely right, but i've now rested between 10-14 days at least 5 times so i'm beginning to wonder whether there is a running god who i've obviously upset at some point????

09/11/2012 at 10:48

Dunno the answer to that Oompa...just hope you find an answer. Have you tried compressions socks?

09/11/2012 at 10:53

Morning all, encouraging HM pace run this morning. 2 miles w-up then 5 @ 6:28 (remarkably they were all exactly 6:28 except for the first which was 6:29!). Average heart rate was 180bpm, which leaves me with a bit of a dilemma. Had it been 178-179bpm I would have definitely settled on that pace for Norwich but probably low 1:30s would be more realistic (my geeky stats suggest that 1bpm is worth about 3 secs per mile for me at HM pace). Plus this was on a totally flat course whereas Norwich has a few mild undulations... hmmm...decisions, decisions. Going by feel it was ok, fairly tough but I was able to keep the pace up ok on tired legs (I've done some hard sessions this week and a total of 36 miles - that's a lot for me, my most since I stopped Hadding in May! lol) and my breathing was ok too (I have a very structured breathing pattern plan for HMs that I won't bore you with now!) so I'm tempted, especially as that pace would give me a shot at 1:25!

Oompa, hope the calf sorts itself out.

Cheerful Dave    pirate
09/11/2012 at 11:12

Daren, leave the GPS at home for Norwich and run it on feel, you might surprise yourself.

09/11/2012 at 11:44

It is tempting Dave, although judging by how I usually set out way too fast on most runs before I check my watch, I fear the surprise would be that I run a new 10k PB but have to walk the last 3 miles! I am trying to be less reliant on my Garmin though and once I've settled into an intial pace I will try to run more by feel at Norwich.

09/11/2012 at 13:16

Go on Daren, do it.  I'm sure you know enough by now to be able to feel if you're going to fast.  

09/11/2012 at 13:17

Free - Don't have compression socks but have recently started wearing 2XU calf guards... but have now re-injured the calf twice whilst wearing them, so may bin 'em as they are obviously jinxed!!!

09/11/2012 at 13:25
Oompa - do you wear them for recovery too? I often sleep in them!!
09/11/2012 at 13:47

Minni - Haven't yet but i did sleep in my Skins full tights after VLM though, and the OH's tights... Errrrrr... Sorry, wrong forum!!!!!!

Cheerful Dave    pirate
09/11/2012 at 14:04

I know what you mean Daren, everyone goes off too fast sometimes.  Your even pace on your last run shows you're a decent judge of pace though, and you say you have a set breathing pattern?  If you're going too fast then that pattern will change pretty quickly, you'll know you're too fast.

09/11/2012 at 14:16

Oompa - I often sleep in my skins, even when I haven't been running a lot.  Mr Minni loves it!!

Cheerful Dave    pirate
09/11/2012 at 14:22

I bet he doesn't love being called 'Mr Minni' though

09/11/2012 at 14:23

Daren -  I would never intentionally run garminless I like the reassuring/or not split every mile and looking at the data after, but my 10k PB was garminless due to it raining before the start and my garmin going mental as the bezel was wet.

09/11/2012 at 14:23

yay, a Skins fetish forum at last 

09/11/2012 at 14:24

Yeah, you're right Dave, and part of me would love to give it a go, but I still don't think I could go cold turkey with the GPS yet - I'm quite an addict so a gradual withdrawal would probably be easier! I think I'd find it quite unnerving to not have any idea what pace I was running at and also, like Barry, I like the motivational factor of knowing too. For example, in the last few miles of the GER I was struggling with cramp etc. and really thought I was slowing drastically, and I might have become demotivated had I not been able to check my GPS and see that I was actually managing to keep the pace up ok and that I only had to hang on in there to smash my PB. But I will see if I can discipline myself to only look it very occasionally and to not be too governed by it as long as the pace feels right.

09/11/2012 at 14:51

Daren - if you increased your weekly mileage it would sort your cramp out. 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.