RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

22,621 to 22,640 of 37,506 messages
M.r Zuvai    pirate
09/11/2012 at 14:59

Afternoon! happy friday everyone!

DD - not sure yet about which IM next year - probably going to do Challenge Henley as part the Pirate crew or im eyeing up that new one in Freemers/Spoons neck of the woods the Anglica. Eyeing up a big one for 2014 - one of: Nice, Austria or Switzerland.

Freemers - there not actually been too much contact with CD - from my part - there's a tendancy in the pirates to expect their mentors to be a free coach with i think is a little unfair - so i was waiting till ive got plans for next year finalised before showing him my training plan and getting his opinion rather than taking advantage!

in terms of a coming race plans nothing serious - i have a cheeky place at hell runner this weekend - which is just a bit of a lark in the mud, then the XC season starting next weekend

no serious racing till the spring with the pre-vlm tune-up halfs

09/11/2012 at 15:13
Minni wrote (see)

Daren - if you increased your weekly mileage it would sort your cramp out. 

But then I'd have to cut out all the quality work and become just a high-mileage plodder like the rest of you

09/11/2012 at 15:14

Mr Z - come and do the Anglian. The start line is a 1 minute walk from my front door so you can pop round for a beer afterwards! I may well be marshalling too.

09/11/2012 at 15:14
DarenF wrote (see)
Minni wrote (see)

Daren - if you increased your weekly mileage it would sort your cramp out. 

But then I'd have to cut out all the quality work and become just a high-mileage plodder like the rest of you

Maybe if he did a marathon.......

09/11/2012 at 15:16

Plodder???

Dubai Dave    pirate
09/11/2012 at 15:19
MrZ it has to be Austria in 2014 can't recommend it enough the setting is just awesome. Holme Pierrepoint it is not! Water is crystal clear no ducks poo, cycle idyllic, run is actually quite like Outlaw but with much more support, top event
09/11/2012 at 16:00
Minni wrote (see)

Plodder???

Sorry Minni, I meant jogger

09/11/2012 at 16:08
Just a quick update to let you know Brol's flight left 7mins earlier at 8.23am local time, due back in uk this evening.

Minni - yes I sleep in compression socks, or full length skins after a tough session but my OH just thinks I'm wierd.

Got roped into playing 5-a-side match for my company in a local league. A good work out but we lost.
Lousy weather here today so hit the gym TM for 6m. Took it easy as feet were sore. I may have mastered how to run forefoot style, but it's a bit trickier, when you've got lots of stop/starts and change of direction playing footie. Hopefully that will come in time.
09/11/2012 at 16:25
DarenF wrote (see)
Minni wrote (see)

Plodder???

Sorry Minni, I meant jogger

that's almost as bad as plodder, Daren .

09/11/2012 at 16:30

I know

09/11/2012 at 16:36
Cheerful Dave wrote (see)

Daren, leave the GPS at home for Norwich and run it on feel, you might surprise yourself.

CD - You've obviously never seen any of Daren's race photos - most of them have him checking the Garmin...not sure how he could go naked!

Daren - Why not do Mile 1 at 6.40 to get into a good rhythm, then speed to 6.30s. If you are feeling good take a few seconds off that.  I think you are doubting yourself but you shouldn't - your speed is so good I think you can go around 85 for the HM.  What you lose in Mile 1 you can make up for in Mile 13 with a faster finish.  Go for it - you know you want to  

I did some mile reps earlier - 4 x 1 mile off 0.2 mile recoveries. Wanted to make sure I could run well enough under 7 pace - all went well. Did it on the treadmill and they were all 6.53/mile - I know that pace will be quicker outside, and they all felt pretty comfortable.  So hopefully Sunday's 7 miler should see a reasonable time.

09/11/2012 at 17:21
Talking of plodders / joggers Daren, is now the time to remind everyone of the marathon PB leaderboard for the thread?
09/11/2012 at 17:23

Edited: 09/11/2012 at 17:24
09/11/2012 at 17:49
It's a good job we're friends Daren.
09/11/2012 at 17:53
Trails never fail! It may not be about pbs but its all about placings. Plus a more interesting race and usually some cake...

Mountain biking weekend for me so not going to get in a longer run in this week or a YKW. Look forward to hearing about this weekends races/long runs with envy!
09/11/2012 at 18:05
Daren - You can yawn all you like but this is a marathon thread after all...the sooner you put those Yasso 800 sessions to use in a proper marathon the better
09/11/2012 at 21:58

Evening all. Rest day for me today. My legs are achey and stiff after last nights session. 

Edited: 09/11/2012 at 21:59
09/11/2012 at 22:14
Evening all. Rest day for me like Spoons but due to bit of a hangover in my case. Enjoying seeing Darren under the spotlight. We all know he's on the brink of cracking and signing for that marathon. Can't beat plodding along at sub 7.30 mm pace for 26.2 miles!
Darren - good luck with your HM - select the pace - be brave- sub 6.30 looks doable and stick with it and if at 10 miles alls going well go for it.
Free- nice interval session - looking good for your 7 miler
Not sure what runs I'll do but am going to see Lionel Ritchie tomorrow night
Anyone else racing this weekend ?
09/11/2012 at 22:46
Daren-fast and flat races sound good but I can't find many close to home. Go on spill the beans on your breathing pattern???
Freemers and Chick, I will take your advise and leave the trails for a while, well the race trails anyway.

Freemers -good luck for Sunday you will have a great race.
Doner Kebab    pirate
09/11/2012 at 23:01
Hi guys, I'm going to be trying to improve my running over winter and this seems s reasonable goal for me to aim for, for a spring mara. Just done Rutland mara and got a 3:45:22 in the mud rain and cold, its a trail mara with 2200 foot of ascent so I don't know how this compares to a flat road race but I Imagine a 3:30 is possible. I took 13 minutes off last years time but after nearly 9 months of ironman training I'm not as quick as I should be. I have only ever done this mara so hoping to get some tips here.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.