RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

22,681 to 22,700 of 37,108 messages
11/11/2012 at 10:25

Spoons -  Good race prep, good luck.

O4S -  Impressive mileage over the weekend.

Great running conditions this morning, 18 miles at 7:29 pace, very happy with it as last 7 were all under 7:20 and run was unfuelled. Pre run had coffee and glass of ribena then nothing during the run.  I know the low temp helped with the lack of dehydration(if that makes sense) but it's got me thinking if I need so many gels during the marathon, thoughts anyone?

11/11/2012 at 11:58

Oh dear, with all the talk about pacing I'd assumed Daren's half must be imminent. Good luck to everyone who is racing and also some good long runs being banked, in particular O4S proving she's queen of endurance yet again.

Barry, I think it's meant to be beneficial to train under fueled then race fully fueled plus you burn through more energy at race pace so I'm not sure I'd change your gel strategy during racing particularly as it seems to be working for you. However the risk of training under fueled is that it leaves you more vulnerable to illnesses so if you do that I think you need to be quite careful about taking on board recovery food quickly afterwards.

11/11/2012 at 12:13
Quick check in....Very happy - 48.07 and a bit of bling for 3rd lady
11/11/2012 at 12:45
Woo hoo well done freemers, is that a PB?
11/11/2012 at 12:50
Free- whoop whoop. Well done!))
11/11/2012 at 12:55
Yay, Freemers more bling

Barry re gels I've heard the same as becsA good to train with less fuel but think with the intensity on race day you wouldn't want to find yourself short... that said some people manage without gels, no idea how!!

Am buzzing right now, a glorious day for running + managed 5 miles, longest run in like 4 months! Since I am currently a jogger I started thinking about my gait + realised I lead with my left (gammy knee) leg, so on my way back i consciously lead with the right leg + the knee was ok. Can't believe I'd never thought of this before! So excited to finally feel like I am getting back into running, had nearly forgotten how great it feels to run on a sunny day
11/11/2012 at 12:56

Nice one Freemers.

Had a fantastic race in the woods this morning. 7 ish miles of MUD. Knee deep in places. Love it

11/11/2012 at 13:05

excellent stuff DD, Freemers & Spoons   sounds like fun racing all around

kiwi: fab news. Hope this sorts out the knee prob

Barry: I thought about less gels too but come race day I gobbled them all and was happy I had enough with me. Training on empty is good but racing a fast marathon without extra fuel is probably not gonna happen.

11/11/2012 at 13:19
Spoons- sounds like my kind of fun
Barry- I wouldn't risk running a mara without gels. I find they really help so when it matters I'd rather use all the help I can get.
Off to do 18m. Still jat lagged. The plan was to force myself to get up early yesterday and today but it didn't quite work out. Slept until mid day again. Tomorrow will be painful.
11/11/2012 at 13:29
Freemers - that great! I'm on my way to murrAyfield and unashamed to say I'm pi$$ed already!
11/11/2012 at 13:39

Freemers - Well done on 3rd lady, what's the bling?

Spoons - Knee deep mud, it's the future of racing

Kiwi - Great news on your knee, fingers crossed for you.

Barry - Great pace for a lsr. Like the others, better to have the gels in race situ.

11/11/2012 at 15:19
C**p.. just wrote a race report and it's gone missing...it'll have to wait until tomorrow now.

Minni - hope you're enjoying the rugby - the all blacks are doing quite well right now, but scotland just scored so you never know!

Bro - welcome home
11/11/2012 at 16:48

Wow loads going on.

O4S - your fall sounded terrible - but it sounds like you are on the mend

Oompa - Arrgh the calf sounds serious. Keep it iced, rather than deep heat IMHO

Daren - a breathing strategy! Wow, that's mental - does it work?

Spoons - XC racing. Love it. I missed the first race of the season as I was away, but we have a packed calendar of them coming up.

Freemers - congrats on the placing

Kiwi - good to hear the knee is possibly on the mend

kfc - mtbing ahoy!

Out on the mountain bike myself around Surrey hills on Saturday - it was lovely with all the leaves turned golden and red. Great day out doing Leith and Holmbury hills. 10 miles easy run today in the sunshine with a mile @ HMP at the end to test the pace for next weekend. Going to aim for around 7mm - and a target of 1:32.

Cheers, Ant

11/11/2012 at 17:45

Freemers, well done on the podium placing and a great time too!

Spoons, glad you enjoyed the cross country.

Ant, yeah, the breathing strategy seemed to work at GER - a big PB, the most evenly paced HM I've ever run and a slight negative split too! It's something that's evolved over my last few HMs and the regular long HMP+20/30 secs pace runs I do. Where's your HM next weekend? What's the course like?

11/11/2012 at 18:50

Freemers:  well done, I was thinking it was a 10k until I remembered it was 7 miles!

Personally I have never used gels and don't take energy drinks in a race - water all the way!   Obviously my times aren't as good as most of you - but when I was clocking my PBs [in my mid 40s] there weren't any gels!!  I doubt if there was much in the way of energy drink either, although my memory is a bit fuzzy there

18 miles today, but very slow and relaxed.  Not too much mud but some fabulous scenery!!

Spoons - getting p***ed the night before a X country is definitely the way to go!!

Scuba Trooper    pirate
11/11/2012 at 18:56

Still struggling to keep up with the volume of posting on here.

Donner Kebab - Welcome, you will get plenty of support on here for your 3;30 goal and they even allow talk of swimming and cycling if you ask nicely.

M.r Zuvai - I'm signed up for Henely and A.A mentioned doing the Half, if we work on a couple of the others it could be a group outing.

Freemers - well done on 3rd place and bling.

DD - more bling too, have you got a big enough cabinet?

O4S - hope the swelling goes down and no lasting effects.

Any one heard from Speed Sheep recently?

I've need to slow down this week, I pushed too hard and now feel very tired managed 3 swims of over 1km (1 Hour ish) and a 40min run last week as well as generally being busy was too much. Saw the consultant last week and nothing to report I'm booked in for my last test (bubble echo) tomorrow.

Edited: 11/11/2012 at 18:58
11/11/2012 at 19:42

Daren - the HM is St Neots, its a massive club outing this year. The course is great. Slightly unbdulating, but with a 3 mile down incline to finish, so if you get to 10 miles in good shape, you're in business. 

11/11/2012 at 19:48
Excellent Freemers. Well done.

Spoons - glad you had fun on the XC
11/11/2012 at 21:03
Can i just remind everyone that IACGMOOH is just about to start?
11/11/2012 at 21:15
Freemers - I know but I'm into HL right now! Just got home in time for it starting.

Where's your race report?

Shame about the rugby result but still a great game (I think ...)

Ant - will that be a pb?

Barry - great run.

Brolish - jet lag is a bugger.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.