RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

22,701 to 22,720 of 36,989 messages
11/11/2012 at 13:19
Spoons- sounds like my kind of fun
Barry- I wouldn't risk running a mara without gels. I find they really help so when it matters I'd rather use all the help I can get.
Off to do 18m. Still jat lagged. The plan was to force myself to get up early yesterday and today but it didn't quite work out. Slept until mid day again. Tomorrow will be painful.
11/11/2012 at 13:29
Freemers - that great! I'm on my way to murrAyfield and unashamed to say I'm pi$$ed already!
11/11/2012 at 13:39

Freemers - Well done on 3rd lady, what's the bling?

Spoons - Knee deep mud, it's the future of racing

Kiwi - Great news on your knee, fingers crossed for you.

Barry - Great pace for a lsr. Like the others, better to have the gels in race situ.

11/11/2012 at 15:19
C**p.. just wrote a race report and it's gone missing...it'll have to wait until tomorrow now.

Minni - hope you're enjoying the rugby - the all blacks are doing quite well right now, but scotland just scored so you never know!

Bro - welcome home
11/11/2012 at 16:48

Wow loads going on.

O4S - your fall sounded terrible - but it sounds like you are on the mend

Oompa - Arrgh the calf sounds serious. Keep it iced, rather than deep heat IMHO

Daren - a breathing strategy! Wow, that's mental - does it work?

Spoons - XC racing. Love it. I missed the first race of the season as I was away, but we have a packed calendar of them coming up.

Freemers - congrats on the placing

Kiwi - good to hear the knee is possibly on the mend

kfc - mtbing ahoy!

Out on the mountain bike myself around Surrey hills on Saturday - it was lovely with all the leaves turned golden and red. Great day out doing Leith and Holmbury hills. 10 miles easy run today in the sunshine with a mile @ HMP at the end to test the pace for next weekend. Going to aim for around 7mm - and a target of 1:32.

Cheers, Ant

11/11/2012 at 17:45

Freemers, well done on the podium placing and a great time too!

Spoons, glad you enjoyed the cross country.

Ant, yeah, the breathing strategy seemed to work at GER - a big PB, the most evenly paced HM I've ever run and a slight negative split too! It's something that's evolved over my last few HMs and the regular long HMP+20/30 secs pace runs I do. Where's your HM next weekend? What's the course like?

11/11/2012 at 18:50

Freemers:  well done, I was thinking it was a 10k until I remembered it was 7 miles!

Personally I have never used gels and don't take energy drinks in a race - water all the way!   Obviously my times aren't as good as most of you - but when I was clocking my PBs [in my mid 40s] there weren't any gels!!  I doubt if there was much in the way of energy drink either, although my memory is a bit fuzzy there

18 miles today, but very slow and relaxed.  Not too much mud but some fabulous scenery!!

Spoons - getting p***ed the night before a X country is definitely the way to go!!

Scuba Trooper    pirate
11/11/2012 at 18:56

Still struggling to keep up with the volume of posting on here.

Donner Kebab - Welcome, you will get plenty of support on here for your 3;30 goal and they even allow talk of swimming and cycling if you ask nicely.

M.r Zuvai - I'm signed up for Henely and A.A mentioned doing the Half, if we work on a couple of the others it could be a group outing.

Freemers - well done on 3rd place and bling.

DD - more bling too, have you got a big enough cabinet?

O4S - hope the swelling goes down and no lasting effects.

Any one heard from Speed Sheep recently?

I've need to slow down this week, I pushed too hard and now feel very tired managed 3 swims of over 1km (1 Hour ish) and a 40min run last week as well as generally being busy was too much. Saw the consultant last week and nothing to report I'm booked in for my last test (bubble echo) tomorrow.

Edited: 11/11/2012 at 18:58
11/11/2012 at 19:42

Daren - the HM is St Neots, its a massive club outing this year. The course is great. Slightly unbdulating, but with a 3 mile down incline to finish, so if you get to 10 miles in good shape, you're in business. 

11/11/2012 at 19:48
Excellent Freemers. Well done.

Spoons - glad you had fun on the XC
11/11/2012 at 21:03
Can i just remind everyone that IACGMOOH is just about to start?
11/11/2012 at 21:15
Freemers - I know but I'm into HL right now! Just got home in time for it starting.

Where's your race report?

Shame about the rugby result but still a great game (I think ...)

Ant - will that be a pb?

Barry - great run.

Brolish - jet lag is a bugger.
11/11/2012 at 22:21

Back from James Bond. Good film. Legs seized up though and limped home afterwards.....

11/11/2012 at 22:49
Evening all. Internet problems mean I'm not online much at the weekend
It's a but like the old days. No racing for me but I can see lots of great racing and running here by others- DD Free Spoons Barry to
list a few- so far as I can see in my brief moments accessing the thread. I will comment more tomorrow when at my office computer.
I've joined the calf injury brigade as I feel as though I have a tight knot in the centre of my right calf . Only running since 6 on Thursday is 17 today under street lights .Not sure I should have done that. Any suggestions as to how to quickly repair it?
Bro- welcome back
See you tomorrow
Edited: 11/11/2012 at 22:51
11/11/2012 at 22:50
Kiwi - great news

Freemers - well done, looking forward to hearing more

Barry - re fuelling, I've read the research on training on low fuel but even so i think whether it works for you is dependent on your own metabolism. I know for me that as I burn through food fast, training on low/no fuel is a major no-go, it completely screws me up and the after effects of doing it make me feel rotten and can last a few days. At the other end of the scale is DD who seems to need no food for his training!

Another fun and muddy MTB day No OH next weekend so I'll be able to get a nice long run in.
Doner Kebab    pirate
11/11/2012 at 23:36
I know I joined this thread a bit late but re: no fuelling running. I do this quite often with no adverse effects, the only caveat is that when it comes to race day I really have to make an effort to get the calories in. Doing the outlaw this year I only ate 400 calories and was under fuelled for the run which I botched up by trying to catch up the calories and ended up with stitch and a 5hour mara, may as well walked all of it , was aiming for a 4
Dubai Dave    pirate
12/11/2012 at 04:36

Morning

Yep I'm seriously in the no food before training camp, unless its a major effort when I'm a fan  of toast and marmalade. 

Freemers: Blingtastic

Minni: I trust you were supporting the team in black?

Will splash at lunch and club run tonight, should have cycled at dawn but up with kids in the night.

12/11/2012 at 07:07

Morning.

I always have porridge for breakfast before running. I don't take any fuel on long runs except water. I've given up on sport drinks and gels as they are 

12/11/2012 at 09:09
Freemers wrote (see)
Can i just remind everyone that IACGMOOH is just about to start?

Minni wrote (see)
Freemers - I know but I'm into HL right now! Just got home in time for it starting. 

you both lost me completely

Bro: great to have you back.

Welcome, Doner.

I had a migraine yesterday and still feel crap and very sorry for myself. Haven't had one for about 10 years and forgot just how rubbish they make you feel. Hoping to go for a run tonight though

M.r Zuvai    pirate
12/11/2012 at 09:30
Doner Kebab wrote (see)
I know I joined this thread a bit late but re: no fuelling running. I do this quite often with no adverse effects, the only caveat is that when it comes to race day I really have to make an effort to get the calories in. Doing the outlaw this year I only ate 400 calories and was under fuelled for the run which I botched up by trying to catch up the calories and ended up with stitch and a 5hour mara, may as well walked all of it , was aiming for a 4

without wanting to labor on a point, but do you not think that the previous evenings effort had anything to do with it? im fairly convinced it was a major factor in how GB ended up in such a serious condition

Ps - its great seeing you around here - stick around there are some fantastic nuggets to be picked up - a wealth of experience and enthuisiam thats infectious!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.