RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

22,701 to 22,720 of 37,320 messages
11/11/2012 at 22:21

Back from James Bond. Good film. Legs seized up though and limped home afterwards.....

11/11/2012 at 22:49
Evening all. Internet problems mean I'm not online much at the weekend
It's a but like the old days. No racing for me but I can see lots of great racing and running here by others- DD Free Spoons Barry to
list a few- so far as I can see in my brief moments accessing the thread. I will comment more tomorrow when at my office computer.
I've joined the calf injury brigade as I feel as though I have a tight knot in the centre of my right calf . Only running since 6 on Thursday is 17 today under street lights .Not sure I should have done that. Any suggestions as to how to quickly repair it?
Bro- welcome back
See you tomorrow
Edited: 11/11/2012 at 22:51
11/11/2012 at 22:50
Kiwi - great news

Freemers - well done, looking forward to hearing more

Barry - re fuelling, I've read the research on training on low fuel but even so i think whether it works for you is dependent on your own metabolism. I know for me that as I burn through food fast, training on low/no fuel is a major no-go, it completely screws me up and the after effects of doing it make me feel rotten and can last a few days. At the other end of the scale is DD who seems to need no food for his training!

Another fun and muddy MTB day No OH next weekend so I'll be able to get a nice long run in.
Doner Kebab    pirate
11/11/2012 at 23:36
I know I joined this thread a bit late but re: no fuelling running. I do this quite often with no adverse effects, the only caveat is that when it comes to race day I really have to make an effort to get the calories in. Doing the outlaw this year I only ate 400 calories and was under fuelled for the run which I botched up by trying to catch up the calories and ended up with stitch and a 5hour mara, may as well walked all of it , was aiming for a 4
Dubai Dave    pirate
12/11/2012 at 04:36

Morning

Yep I'm seriously in the no food before training camp, unless its a major effort when I'm a fan  of toast and marmalade. 

Freemers: Blingtastic

Minni: I trust you were supporting the team in black?

Will splash at lunch and club run tonight, should have cycled at dawn but up with kids in the night.

12/11/2012 at 07:07

Morning.

I always have porridge for breakfast before running. I don't take any fuel on long runs except water. I've given up on sport drinks and gels as they are 

12/11/2012 at 09:09
Freemers wrote (see)
Can i just remind everyone that IACGMOOH is just about to start?

Minni wrote (see)
Freemers - I know but I'm into HL right now! Just got home in time for it starting. 

you both lost me completely

Bro: great to have you back.

Welcome, Doner.

I had a migraine yesterday and still feel crap and very sorry for myself. Haven't had one for about 10 years and forgot just how rubbish they make you feel. Hoping to go for a run tonight though

M.r Zuvai    pirate
12/11/2012 at 09:30
Doner Kebab wrote (see)
I know I joined this thread a bit late but re: no fuelling running. I do this quite often with no adverse effects, the only caveat is that when it comes to race day I really have to make an effort to get the calories in. Doing the outlaw this year I only ate 400 calories and was under fuelled for the run which I botched up by trying to catch up the calories and ended up with stitch and a 5hour mara, may as well walked all of it , was aiming for a 4

without wanting to labor on a point, but do you not think that the previous evenings effort had anything to do with it? im fairly convinced it was a major factor in how GB ended up in such a serious condition

Ps - its great seeing you around here - stick around there are some fantastic nuggets to be picked up - a wealth of experience and enthuisiam thats infectious!

M.r Zuvai    pirate
12/11/2012 at 09:38

Scuba - that's great - it looks a fantastic event!

Freemers - congratulations! you're going to have to make a cabnet soon if you keep this up!

Minni - i love Murrayfield - one the great rugby venues! - actually i love Edinburgh altogether!

O4S  - we'll have to catch up at VLM!  unless there's a spring half that everyone fancies using as a tune up?

i did hellrunner yesterday on a bit of a whim! you cant take those things seriously but they are an awful lot of fun! i have never been more filthy in my life! my supports didn't spot me as i had changed ethnicity by the time i came past them!

12/11/2012 at 09:39

2old - rest, rest, rest.  Seriously, take a week off.  You need to give your calf time to heal and the only way to do that is rest.  I missed almost 6 weeks last year by coming back too soon and overcooking the self healing.  Its just not worth it.

12/11/2012 at 10:41

2old - agree with Minni, take care of that calf. Ice and massage are good as well. The theory is that you need to be able to hop on your bad leg without feeling anything before it is good to run again.

Minni - it would be a PB - i did 1:33 last year, so just looking for a small improvement.

12/11/2012 at 11:00

OK, Stowmarket 7 race report....

I've done this event a few times, but the last was in 2008 and my PB was 50.xx so that was definitely on for improving. I wanted to go sub 49 really, and felt that was on the cards so long as I didn't go off too quick. The course is undulating, but all the uphill sections are in the second half, especially mile 5 which is all uphill and the last half mile too.  So I needed a bit of time in reserve but didn't want to overcook it and die a death in the end stages.  After chatting to a few people at race HQ I headed out to do a warm up - for once did a proper one with some strides and all feeling OK.

The race is always run on Remembrance Sunday so we have a 2 minute silence on the start line at 11am, then the race starts at 11.02.  The weather was perfect - about 6 or 7 degrees but sunny and only a very light breeze. I'd lined up pretty near the front - working on past years results I thought I might be able to sneak a placing so wanted to check out the other ladies at the front.  As the race started 3 women went off ahead of me, but I passed one of those in the first mile so knew at that point I was in 3rd. 

Mile 1 is net downhill, which is good as you can get into a good pace straightaway. It was a little quick at 6.39, but I steadied from there and Mile 2 was 6.56. I was feeling good, concentrating on my breathing and just trying to relax. Mile 3 was measured short - I was doing manual laps on my Garmin and it said 0.94 miles and timed at 6.19 . Mile 4 was another downhill, and measured long - 1.1 miles and timed at 7.23, So the average of those two was pretty much bang on my target pace, and comfortably under 7 min/mile.  During Mile 4 I passed one of the women ahead of me, but my turn in 2nd place was very brief as another woman came past me and although I tried to stay with her she was really motoring and ended up about a minute ahead of me at the finish.

Then we hit the hill in Mile 5. I was just concentrating on keeping my cadence quite high and not losing too much speed. I passed quite a few people going up the hill which was nice, although a few passed me too! Mile 5 was a 7.13 so not too much time lost and still well ahead of target.

Then there are two miles to go, and we are heading back on the same route as miles 1 and 2. Mile 6 is flat, so just relaxing after the hill and picking up the pace a bit, with a 6.45. Then pushing as hard as I could for the last mile, which is net uphill - I caught the guy ahead of me and we then ran together to the end, just keeping each other going in that unspoken kind of way that runners do!  Crossed the line with a 6.52 last mile and 48.07 on the clock.  The race was chip timed, but as they only had a mat at the finish it was also the gun time...not really sure why they bothered with the chips, other than it saves having someone recording the finishers at the line? But to be honest it had only taken me a second to cross the start line anyway.

They started posting results up on a notice board realy quickly so my third place was confirmed. Prize was a dinky little cup and £10 cash.  I was first F40 too, but it was one prize per person so only one bit of bling...can't really complain about that 

So a good day at the office...next stop Norwich HM

Chick - I'm a celebtrity get me out of here (I know, it's cr*p TV ), and Homeland

12/11/2012 at 11:12

Freemers -  Congrats, very good racing.

2old -  Rest and  see a physio.  My right calf has been problematic for the last couple of years and once there is a serious injury there can take a while to sort.  I'm still taping it even though currently have no problems with it.

Thanks all for the fuelling advice.  Will use gels for Florence.  3 miles recovery this morning.

M.r Zuvai    pirate
12/11/2012 at 11:18

Storming race & great report Freemers! - Congratulations!

12/11/2012 at 12:06

Great report and smart racing, Freemers. Gotcha on the jungle camp but what is homeland? Never heard of it

I was put off the jungle when Peter Andre and Jordan were in it . Been traumatised ever since!!

12/11/2012 at 12:07

Morning all

Calf still very tight -feels as though its about to snap just about where the achillees tendon attached to the calf .Minni and Ant advice noted thanks but can I last that long resting? Can I swim/bike? Better see a physio quick

MrZ nice to see you around again I thought about doing the hell runner but ended up doing the HM last week instead. It sounded great fun an event to just for the 'hell ' of it -sorry

Free -graet repoert and podium finish.All the hard work training this year is paying dividends

DD-another podium and bling!! You will be handicapped if you keep dominating your races this much.Never seen a run before a swim but then again you dont need wet suits out there do you?

Barry-nice LR ,great pace.You look well ready for Florence. My view re gels for what its worth is to try and do the runs over 1.5 hours without so as to improve the efficiency of the body in fat burning but use gels  in races .This was what I did at Liverpool taking 4 gels in anticipation of tougher parts of the race-hills- last 5ketc and it semed to work.

O4S-Considering you were injured you did some mega miles over the last few days.Impressive as ever. I feel a wimp moaning on about my calf

Spoons-another mudfest race to enjoy -great stuff

DK-welcome-I cant even think about a 30 hour event but I assume you will factor in time to put up a tent blow up a bed and have a good 8 hour sleep

Spen71-welcome to you too-thats some running this year .You will have a phenomenal aerobic base to build on

FRC-very pleased that yyou are starting to rebuild your running.Youve been very patient

Daren-I like the idea of the breathing to a count .I will have to try it .I should be a good way of keeping a consistent pace as has already been discussed by the others.Cant think why I thought you were racing on Sunday

FRC-no worries about the race-I wasnt up to it any way.I had better things to do like empty our garage and visit the local tip

ST -stick at it -you are getting there

So as advised I had better rest my injury today.Not happy!

12/11/2012 at 12:29

Chick -   If you like thrillers try and catch up with Homeland, channel 4 currently showing second series. Lots of plot twists and very well made.

12/11/2012 at 12:31

I'm

12/11/2012 at 12:36

Great stuff Freemers

12/11/2012 at 12:50

Self inflicted Minni?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.