RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

22,721 to 22,740 of 37,511 messages
12/11/2012 at 13:00

Oopma, hope the calf is better. Maybe time to strengthen the legs up with something else? My wednesdays are spent doing things like box jumps, heavy weighted squats/ deadlifts or lunges - whatever program S&C coach throws at us. Any aches or pains, show up very quick, also really good for injury proofing the body.

Scuba Trouper, nice to see you are doing well. I wondered where Speed Sheep was too.

Freemers well done. Nice bling and report.

O4S.. you appear to be the bionic woman, that mileage ! and a sore knee.

2old, I had sore calf & achilles thu - sat, foam rolled calf & hammy since often linked, a bit of deep relief ibuprofen gel with menthol plus a sports support - or calf sleeve / compression socks. Calf stretches, heel dips & wall presses. Mobility work with tennis ball on ankle & foot helps too, especially if near achilles. Circuit class friday had single leg hops and "lateral skater" jump too. Both good.

Daren - what was the breathing thing about? Hands up who just breathes?

League race yesterday, lungs/ chest still not 100% after stomach bug, left achilles a bit sore as above. Fast pace from start under 6:30mm pace, 2 laps of fast flat but short 5k course. About 2 miles gone could see a club red top 200ft plus ahead - couldn't work out who it was. Couldn't be my little protégée I helped with first marathon? Too far ahead. Gradually caught up over next 2 miles, it was him! A bit shocked, he'd gone off at 6-6:10 min mile pace and was tiring. Whizzed past and upped pace last mile and half. Finished in  34m 12s for ~5.5 miles.

Splits, 6:23, 6:26, 6:23, 6:21, 6:16, 2:45 (~5:50 pace for 0.45 mile). Not too shabby, 6:20 mile average pace - just looking for a 10k or half to get those PBs. Soon...  

M.r Zuvai    pirate
12/11/2012 at 13:04

i have a breathing strategy too!  i use the sound of my breathing to create a rhythm and then use that to keep my cadence consistent!

12/11/2012 at 14:14

FRC - you don't appreciate how slowly I am running!!

DD - you are my long lost kid brother, we obviously share the same metabolism / attitude to food when running.  My pre-race food is always toast and marmalade [one slice] and that includes all ultras

I assume we are talking about the Sunday night programme - 'I'm a complete waste of space, please leave me here as long as possible so that I can gain maximum publicity'.  

Drove home in pouring rain this morning so we got the best days while we were up there thank goodness.

Mind the calf 2old!!

12/11/2012 at 14:19

Minni-we never learn...get well soon

Mr Z-I breathe heavily  when I run and Im sure it unnerves pedestrians when I run up to pass them-mugger approaching!

FRC- cracking paced run..the 10k pb is waiting for you...which one is it going to be?Thanks for the rehab suggestions.Do I start straight way or rest a few days first?

12/11/2012 at 15:01

nice running, FRC.

Poor Minni .

M.r Zuvai    pirate
12/11/2012 at 15:06
2old wrote (see)

Mr Z-I breathe heavily  when I run and Im sure it unnerves pedestrians when I run up to pass them-mugger approaching!

haha - you should see the paniced looks i get off when i approach from behind when running with the labrador!

12/11/2012 at 15:30

Mr Z-good thing you dont own a Rottweiler

O4S-does a piece of bread and jam count the same as toast and marmalade? Thats my LR carboload.Before an HM or Marathon I have porridge made with water and honey and sometimes a bagel too-how greedy is that? I stayed in the hotel next to Tower Bridge for the 2006 FLM and it was the marathon HQ so had the pleasure of seeing the African elite runners choosing their breakfast from the buffet-eggs baked beans potatoes sausages toast fruit -think we might learn something from them.

12/11/2012 at 15:49

Phew... trying to catch up with everything from the weekend...

FRC - Great time and nice splits. Calf feels absolutely fine and have just tried Ant P's test by hopping on the injured leg and there's no pain, but, and it's a big but, i've been here before soooo many times in the last 4 months, where it feels fine and i run too soon and... well you know the rest!

Free - Nice race report and time/bling. Can't say that i've ever seen a 7 mile race before, yet alone run one?

Ant P - I'm with you on the icing/deep heat issue. I've been doing the whole R.I.C.E thing religiously since Thursday and, as previously mentioned, it "feels" fine, although i know that it isn't. All i'm doing now is a bit of weights, a lot of core work and a bit of bike, followed by 30 mins flailing around in the pool.

Well done to anyone else who i've missed who ran/raced over the weekend... very jealous!

Massage booked for 5.15 with the infamous Mrs B, so gonna have to man-up and suck up the pain that she inflicts, and then has the audacity to charge for!!!

12/11/2012 at 15:55

2old/O4S - That pre race/lsr fueling sounds like a 'Paddington Bear' strategy.

Myself , I go for porridge pre mara/lsr, and like most things I go for the easy option, ready made, syrup flavoured 'Oats so simple'.

FRC - Excellent pace for your 5.5miler, roll on your next 10k.

Freemers - Great race report.

Minni - I hope it's not serious.

Daren - How does your breathing strategy now, compare to when you were doing your HADD runs. They must of been 10 in, 10out

12/11/2012 at 16:24

Simon, the Hadd runs were so slow I wasn't even conscious of breathing at all!

Nice report Freemers.

Great pace FRC. Get yourself a 10k booked soon!

I'm a toast and honey man (2 slices, granary) before races or long runs.

Minni, hope you're feeling better.

12/11/2012 at 17:00

Minni hope you're feeling better. too much wine/ beer? or the norovirus thing going around?

O4S I know you go slow, but fantastic mileage. Doffs cap & salutes 

2old. rest for a day. is the calf sore to touch or walk on? some light stretching or really really slow runs will loosen it up. See below the reverse lunge is great for calf test. I have some races in mind... 10k now maybe Helena Tipping Dec 2nd. Wrexham way good for you? Wesham one Missus has work so may not make it. Watch this space soon...

Oompa. The hop test is good but only tests vertical movement so not the whole calf and not the full running movement - with the leg snapping underneath, behind and up. Try 3-4 forward lunges on the spot each leg.. then reverse lunges same way.. I could feel left achilles doing these Friday. Strengthening, could do same exercises but weighted to really stress them and build up. Squats, lunges and variants are always part of my wednesday S&C. Single leg hop onto a step or box also. Hard session but 9-10 months in working great.

Breakfast, just 2 or 3 potato cakes for me, has to be with proper butter. 25-30g carbs each and easy on stomach. swig on a sports drink. During any training long run, water, maybe a small kids packet of dried fruit.

12/11/2012 at 17:09
Yes definitely the norovirus.
12/11/2012 at 17:22

I'm off for a massage. Think I need it.

12/11/2012 at 18:06
Minni- hope you feel better.
Free- great race report, congrats again
FRC- speedy running from you as always.
2Old- hope the calf is better soon.
Spoons- enjoy the massage.
ST- glad to hear you're recovering well. SSheep is well and running again but I will let her tell you all about it. She's in the UK at the moment so probably just busy partying. I'll be catching up with her next week.
12/11/2012 at 22:02

6 mile tempo run tonight - shorts and T shirt weather, probably warmer than many summer runs..

12/11/2012 at 22:56

If I run anything under 10 miles I don't bother if I haven't eaten beforehand.  Over 10 then its , or porridge if its nearer 20 and above.  Always porridge before a race.

I'm struggling with time at the moment and finding running early (5am) or late (9pm) is working best, so I'm going to start introducing doubles to enable me to get the mileage in.

Managed just over 5 miles at 9pm tonight.

13/11/2012 at 00:08
Minni - For a bit of extra time management, if you started your late run even later, and your early even earlier, you could merge the 2 together, for one late night 20miler. Then you could just sleep at your desk during the day, after all you are the boss!
Dubai Dave    pirate
13/11/2012 at 05:50

Morning

2Old: Yep run swim is the wrong way around but the race is held in the grounds of one of Dubai's finest 5 star establishments who do not want sweaty runners getting in the way of their guests, so run before they get up! 

DD2 appeared in our bed at 0330 complaining of fever and headache, however he was not tired having been asleep most of yesterday and therefore burst into a rousing chorus of "Thriller" whilst complaining that I had the audacity to a) take more than my allotted space and b) I had more than my share of the duvet. So out on the bike even earlier than usual

Will have a gentle trot tonight as last nights club run was a "brisk" 10 miles in 72 mins. 

13/11/2012 at 06:29

DD - make the most of those days.  I used to get sick of the kids sleeping with us but I miss it now.  Master Minni will still come in for a cuddle but its not the same now he's bigger than me!

13/11/2012 at 06:31

I've been chatting to Melds about the Forum 6 and the search for mentors is on. Spoons you in again?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.