RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

22,741 to 22,760 of 36,122 messages
12/11/2012 at 15:55

2old/O4S - That pre race/lsr fueling sounds like a 'Paddington Bear' strategy.

Myself , I go for porridge pre mara/lsr, and like most things I go for the easy option, ready made, syrup flavoured 'Oats so simple'.

FRC - Excellent pace for your 5.5miler, roll on your next 10k.

Freemers - Great race report.

Minni - I hope it's not serious.

Daren - How does your breathing strategy now, compare to when you were doing your HADD runs. They must of been 10 in, 10out

12/11/2012 at 16:24

Simon, the Hadd runs were so slow I wasn't even conscious of breathing at all!

Nice report Freemers.

Great pace FRC. Get yourself a 10k booked soon!

I'm a toast and honey man (2 slices, granary) before races or long runs.

Minni, hope you're feeling better.

12/11/2012 at 17:00

Minni hope you're feeling better. too much wine/ beer? or the norovirus thing going around?

O4S I know you go slow, but fantastic mileage. Doffs cap & salutes 

2old. rest for a day. is the calf sore to touch or walk on? some light stretching or really really slow runs will loosen it up. See below the reverse lunge is great for calf test. I have some races in mind... 10k now maybe Helena Tipping Dec 2nd. Wrexham way good for you? Wesham one Missus has work so may not make it. Watch this space soon...

Oompa. The hop test is good but only tests vertical movement so not the whole calf and not the full running movement - with the leg snapping underneath, behind and up. Try 3-4 forward lunges on the spot each leg.. then reverse lunges same way.. I could feel left achilles doing these Friday. Strengthening, could do same exercises but weighted to really stress them and build up. Squats, lunges and variants are always part of my wednesday S&C. Single leg hop onto a step or box also. Hard session but 9-10 months in working great.

Breakfast, just 2 or 3 potato cakes for me, has to be with proper butter. 25-30g carbs each and easy on stomach. swig on a sports drink. During any training long run, water, maybe a small kids packet of dried fruit.

12/11/2012 at 17:09
Yes definitely the norovirus.
12/11/2012 at 17:22

I'm off for a massage. Think I need it.

12/11/2012 at 18:06
Minni- hope you feel better.
Free- great race report, congrats again
FRC- speedy running from you as always.
2Old- hope the calf is better soon.
Spoons- enjoy the massage.
ST- glad to hear you're recovering well. SSheep is well and running again but I will let her tell you all about it. She's in the UK at the moment so probably just busy partying. I'll be catching up with her next week.
12/11/2012 at 22:02

6 mile tempo run tonight - shorts and T shirt weather, probably warmer than many summer runs..

12/11/2012 at 22:56

If I run anything under 10 miles I don't bother if I haven't eaten beforehand.  Over 10 then its , or porridge if its nearer 20 and above.  Always porridge before a race.

I'm struggling with time at the moment and finding running early (5am) or late (9pm) is working best, so I'm going to start introducing doubles to enable me to get the mileage in.

Managed just over 5 miles at 9pm tonight.

13/11/2012 at 00:08
Minni - For a bit of extra time management, if you started your late run even later, and your early even earlier, you could merge the 2 together, for one late night 20miler. Then you could just sleep at your desk during the day, after all you are the boss!
Dubai Dave    pirate
13/11/2012 at 05:50

Morning

2Old: Yep run swim is the wrong way around but the race is held in the grounds of one of Dubai's finest 5 star establishments who do not want sweaty runners getting in the way of their guests, so run before they get up! 

DD2 appeared in our bed at 0330 complaining of fever and headache, however he was not tired having been asleep most of yesterday and therefore burst into a rousing chorus of "Thriller" whilst complaining that I had the audacity to a) take more than my allotted space and b) I had more than my share of the duvet. So out on the bike even earlier than usual

Will have a gentle trot tonight as last nights club run was a "brisk" 10 miles in 72 mins. 

13/11/2012 at 06:29

DD - make the most of those days.  I used to get sick of the kids sleeping with us but I miss it now.  Master Minni will still come in for a cuddle but its not the same now he's bigger than me!

13/11/2012 at 06:31

I've been chatting to Melds about the Forum 6 and the search for mentors is on. Spoons you in again?

13/11/2012 at 06:56

I'll have a think.....

Dubai Dave    pirate
13/11/2012 at 07:04

Not Me, had enough of that.

Minni: I suspect most mums would share your sentiments, MrsDD certainly does but equally most Dads perfected the "I didn't hear anything" technique within days of a sprog arriving and would prefer to just sleep

Edited: 13/11/2012 at 07:07
13/11/2012 at 07:28
DD - we would prefer just to sleep too!!
13/11/2012 at 08:12

Great race Freemers, congratulations on the bling.

Oompa hope the calf is on the mend. As FRC says, the hop test can only tell you so much.

I'm planning to check out a running club tonight. Beginners' section.

I fuel up pre long-run, like Bro I find it really doesn't work for me if I'm under-fuelled and I don't like running long when I'm hungry. I rarely find that my long run days are so busy that I can't justify a bit of porridge and a laze before I head out.

13/11/2012 at 08:36
Morning all
Minni- good to see you running inspire of the norovirus
O4S-I suppose we are due summer temperatures even if its November. Nice short run
DD- sounds an idealic athletic park
Weeble- glad to see you making an overdue return
Calf still sore- more rest. Still not happy
13/11/2012 at 08:53
Dubai Dave wrote (see)

DD2 appeared in our bed at 0330 complaining of fever and headache

I read that as D2D the first time round

Weeble - you won't be a beginner for long

Given how tight my calves were after the TM, and the fact that my left achilles was just starting to grumble a bit towards the end of Sunday's race I have invested in a pair of compression socks...will be trying them out on my run today. Not sure I like the whole shorts/long socks look but let's face it running is harly glamorous at the best of times

13/11/2012 at 09:22

Minni- how are you feeling today?  What sort of doubles are you planning and what mileage for this campaign?

simon62w wrote (see)

Minni - For a bit of extra time management, if you started your late run even later, and your early even earlier, you could merge the 2 together, for one late night 20miler.

Lol Simon

Weeble- good luck with the club.  You will be back in no time, hang in there!

Not sure I could deal with kids sleeping in my bed. Mr B and the cat take up too much space as it is..

2Old- grrr re the calf.  I can understand the frustration. Have you seen a physio?

Free- I quite like the shorts/ long socks look.  Go on, you know you want to!

12m for me this morning with 7 @ MP which was around 7:35-7:40.  Felt good.

I am pondering what to do with manual lapping in San Sebastian.  I was going to use it in NY but the thought of having to remember to press the damn thing 42 times scares me a bit.  Chick- did you find it ok?  Wasn't it too much hassle? I don't want to depend on automatic laps, they're always out.

13/11/2012 at 09:41

Had to replace my ripped gloves and capris yesterday and ended up with a jacket and some full length tights [for ultras in winter] as well.  As a result I ended up with a £50 voucher to spend before 2nd December so [very unfortunately I fear I will have to get some more gear...............

After quite a few miles at the weekend and a fast [for me] run last night at the club I found the cycle in to work hard today - not sure I'm looking forward to intervals tonight.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.