RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

22,781 to 22,800 of 37,330 messages
14/11/2012 at 09:11

Gazelle- nice intervals.  Are you continuing with Moz?

Simon- my head hurts already. The problem with your method is that you're never 100% sure what result you're going to end up with and not knowing doesn't appeal to my OCD nature.  Ok, km manual lapping it is.

Minni- sounds like a nice run, it's good to do something different every now and then. I work in two different offices and the logistics of running into/ from work are quite complicated.  I don't like running with a backpack so try to make sure I organise myself beforehand but often forget what's where and end up with random items of clothing (or lack of appropriate clothing).

Nice intervals from O4S, Carrot and Spoons (I agree you're a sadist).

KFC and 2Old- ouch ouch ouch.  Hope you get those niggles sorted. 2Old- turning to the drink always helps!

Weeble- glad to hear you enjoyed the club run and that it went better than expected.  Fingers crossed for no pain tomorow.

3m recovery planned for later today. I am getting all excited again (not sure how many more times I can get excited).  Found a lovely restaurant in San Sebastian for afters.  Seems like all major restaurants are closed on Sunday night/ Monday so booked late lunch (3pm).  Mr B told me I'm not allowed to be shit or we won't make it. Nothing like a bit of an extra incentive!

14/11/2012 at 09:57

kfc - Sorry to hear about your calf. I'm probably the last person to ask as i've been trying to get right since July! R.I.C.E is definitely the way forward in the early stages and then just start to do a bit of non-impact active recovery that doesn't put strain on the calf... Swimming, bike, x-training, resistance etc... 

30 mins swim and 30 mins on that funny x-training type thing at the gym for me last night. Not planning on any running until Sunday's 10k race... fingers crossed?

14/11/2012 at 10:14

Bro: you'll be fine. I was tucking into my steak by 2pm and had even showered and changed before

KFC: ouch . The calf fuck up fairy seems to be causing lots of havoc ...

weeble: nice surprise when a run goes better than planned.

simon62w wrote (see)
Bro - Ok garmin may read long, but you could allow for that in your pacing. I can't remember what your Pb or target is, but using a target of 3:20hrs for example. That's = 200mins, x60 = 12000secs divided by 26.2 = 458secs, = 7.38 mmp. So you know that 12000 secs divided by 26.2 gives you 3:20 time. So 12000 div by 26.3 = 456.27 which equals 7.36.27 mmp, so for each 0.1 mile over, you only have to reduce your ave pace per mile by 1.73secs. So even if it measures 26.4miles, you only have to increase your mile pace by 3.46secs, ie to 7.34.54 mmp. And if it isn't long you'll be 60-90secs under target.

too complicated for a simple girl brain like mine, Simon

Minni wrote (see)

Bit of an unfortunate incident today... Driving to work I realised I still had my old metallic pink Doc Martins on that I'd stuck on to take the rubbish out.   Don't go well with a skirt suit......

I'd call that dressing a posh frock down, Minni. Very avantgarde . I went to work in my slippers the other day... now that was seriously uncool

Spoons. wrote (see)

Evening.

Busy day for me at work followed by a 6pm session: 2 mile rep + 4 x 400s + 2 mile rep.

Then 7pm I was coaching the main club group: 1 mile rep + 20 min rolling hills + 5 hill sprints + 1 mile rep. I nearly killed them 

those poor trainees - have mercy, spoons!

Gazelle & carrot: nice speedwork. Reminds me that I ought to try 10k pace again before Sunday's race. Hopefully the calf won't seize this time. I give it a go tomorrow, probably in compression socks.

14/11/2012 at 11:10

Morning all-sore head and calf today1

KFC-sorry to see you have joined the crap calf team ...Im trying the RICE method plus non impact cross training starting with a swim today. Fingers crossed you heal quickly

Weeble-good to see you back running again

DD-where is there a 7000 ft climb your way?Have they built one especially for cyclists?

Bro-thanks-keep the build up low key this time please as youre last one was too stressful for us all

OOmp-Hope all remains well for your 10k

Minni-now you're a fashion icon

Bit fed up as my mate suggested we do the Tough Mudder this weekend for fun but its not going to happen for me.

14/11/2012 at 13:12

KFC, sorry to hear you've joined the injured calf club.

Weeble, glad to hear it's all going well on your comeback.

Some nice sessions going on - Spoons, Carrot, O4S.

3 x mile reps with 60 secs RI for me this morning. A bit fast on the first one but managed to run all 3 under 6mm for the first time - 5:51/5:56/5:58 - pleased with that especially as I did that tough 11 with 6.2 @ HMP yesterday.

14/11/2012 at 14:07
Afternoon all.

Freemers - great report. Well done.

Daren - they are bloody fast intervals. I'll be happy for a minute slower than that!!

Bro - glad to see the plans are going well. Be excited...it's good for you

Chick - are you running a 10k this weekend?

Hope all calf niggles clear up soon.

I am slowly getting back into it. Very slowly!
14/11/2012 at 14:28

Crikey, too many sore calves on here...hope they all clear up soon!

Daren - I honestly don't think I could ever run one mile under 6 minutes, let alone strong them together like you. I can't wait to see what you do in Norwich

Bro - it's no wonder you are getting excited...I mean more so, given the NY debacle. We are all getting excited for you

Carrot - I know what you mean about runners wearing shorts/long socks looking like they are really fast. I'm not sure I really fit in there, but I'm sure I'll get used to the look

Weeble - great to see you running again

Lovely sunny day in London today - I did a nice easy 6 miles taking in the last bit of the VLM course and back

That story Daren linked to about runners taking the wrong route made it into the Times today!

14/11/2012 at 14:34

Darren-super fast intervals.Are  you the fastest and fitest in your football team?

AA -good to see you back

Free-I run that bit whenever Im in London .It makes the last few miles of VLM easier too as you are running on familiar ground and know exactly how much is left.

2k swim done and the sore throat and running nose return immediately so its pretty obvious that Im allergic to the pool-think the Gods are conspiring against me

14/11/2012 at 14:57

2Old, I reckon I'm probably the fittest in the team now (we have got one guy who has a 1:25 HM PB but that was a few years back and he doesn't run so much anymore). Not the fastest anymore though - I always used to be when I was younger, but I've lost half a yard of sprinting pace as I've got older. Still no slouch for a relative veteran in football terms though!

14/11/2012 at 14:58

2old This is a good time to rest. Get on the bike.

14/11/2012 at 15:29

In my book anytime is a good time to rest

Off to a wine tasting tonight - on two wheels.  Hope I don't have an embarrassing accident on the way back after a few glasses!

14/11/2012 at 15:45

bugger, 2old. Can you bike or does it cause you more aggro?

A.A. wrote (see)

Chick - are you running a 10k this weekend?

unfortunately, yes . At some point I have to bite the bullet though and face those 10k demons. We'll see. It's not a very fast course - 2 twisty-turny laps with about 3k on a rather narrow forest trail complete with stones and tree roots. Only 2k is run on the road. If it's raining it'll be a mudfest

Daren: are you officially the fastest on here too by now? Or is that still cooks? Speaking of which, where is he?

14/11/2012 at 16:18

Minni- so the bike it is

14/11/2012 at 16:27

Chick-not sure I want to be bu**ered but there is the bike and spinning and the ergo to try before I have to take up golf. Maybe its time Daren and Cooks had a head to head race to settle the fastest question once and for all

04S-like the idea of winetasting on a bike but how do you use a cork screw and hold the handle bars without falling off .I struggle to use a bike bottle. Isnt your idea of a rest the same as Darens idae that 6.29 is not faster than 6.30mm

14/11/2012 at 16:38

Daren - Quick mile reps off a short recovery, what's your 5k PB?

2old -  Like your style, if you can't run go down the pub, encouraging news on the calf - just a week off.

Weeble -  Good news. Fingers crossed for your run tomorrow.

Having had my fair share of calf injuries, if it lasts more than a few days go and see a  physio and get some expert advice, I've tried running through the niggles before and sometimes it works  but others it has laid me up for a further few weeks. 3 slow for me  this morning.

14/11/2012 at 17:23

5k PB is 18:43. It's the blue time for the thread, but Cooks has the 10k and HM. Not sure I'd fancy a head to head - I'm pretty sure he'd beat me!

14/11/2012 at 17:26

Speedy reps there Daren

Easy run for me tonight

14/11/2012 at 17:37

Yowsers, those are speedy reps Daren. Is your HM on Sunday - shouldn't you be taking it easy? I have

14/11/2012 at 17:38

No, mine's the following Sunday Ant. I'll be taking it easy next week.

14/11/2012 at 18:25

The shortlist of the Asics competition are being contacted inviting them to bootcamp.  A few people have posted to say they are through.  So, come on.... who's in?  Daren???

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.