RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

22,821 to 22,840 of 37,118 messages
15/11/2012 at 11:44

Daren -  I remember Superstars, essential friday night viewing, I think Sky tried to resurrect it a few years ago.

Scuba -  Good news they have found the problem, hopefully they can get it sorted quickly.

Florence marathon is next weekend, I have the delights of the Wiltshire countryside this sunday for the Swindon 10K. 5 miles this morning 1 WU 3 steady 1 WD.

15/11/2012 at 11:58
Spoons. wrote (see)

As Ant says - the races will not be PB races. Think of them like tempo runs. It's all about building strength and stamina.

Why not just go for a tempo run and save yourself the entry fees?

15/11/2012 at 12:20

Spoons: that's simply nuts. Where do you find these sado coaches??

DD: jeepers, you are getting quicker and quicker! Am with you: mile reps really really suck but k reps are a close second

ST: crikey! I reckon we can all be happy that you are still with us. Can they sew it up or how does one fix a hole in the heart ?

I'm going to do a 10k pace pyramid tonight. The plan was for the morning but we have freezing fog again and cold air inevitably causes an asthma attack. The fog is gone now, it's bright and sunny and I can't wait to be outta here

Looks like there's quite a few of us racing on Sunday

15/11/2012 at 12:22

Scuba - glad they have identified the problem, now let's hope they fix it quickly

DD - speedy reps .  I quite like 1k reps too, but I think I probably need to do more mile reps for better speed endurance.

Rest day for me today.

15/11/2012 at 12:22
Barry - Superstars was brilliant, ahead of it's time really. Now it would be just another celebrity reality show, but I bet they don't get the top stars competing head to head like they used to. Brian Jacks was awesome!

ST - Great news on finding the cause, it must be a relief for yourself, let's hope they can sort it and give you and extra 5secs per mile boost.

8m at MP this morning for me. Started slower and slowly increased the pace so finished in 1:03:54 @ 7.59 ave pace. Compression socks on just to save the calfs, as there seems to be a calf bug going round.
15/11/2012 at 13:32

Take care ST, glad they found out what the problem was and hope they can sort it out.

Simon, they have got the top stars for this one-off! All of them are Olympic medal winners...

• Alistair Brownlee: Gold, triathlon
  • Jonathan Brownlee: Bronze, triathlon
  • Mo Farah: Gold, 5,000m and 10,000m
  • Robbie Grabarz: Bronze, high jump
  • Michael Jamieson: Silver, 200m breast stroke swimming
  • Anthony Joshua: Gold, super-heavyweight boxing
  • Andrew Triggs Hodge: Gold, rowing (coxless four)
  • Peter Wilson: Gold, shooting (double trap)
  • Nicola Adams: Gold, flyweight boxing
  • Lizzie Armitstead: Silver, cycling (road race)
  • Laura Bechtolsheimer: Gold and bronze, dressage
  • Gemma Gibbons: Silver, judo
  • Helen Glover: Gold, rowing (coxless pair)
  • Katherine Grainger: Gold, rowing (double sculls)
  • Jade Jones: Gold, taekwondo
  • Christine Ohuruogu: Silver, 400m

Be interesting to see Mo take on the Brownlees over 800m. I can't imagine his javelin will be too good though!

15/11/2012 at 13:48

ST- at least you know what it is.  It would drive me insane not knowing.  Hope it can get sorted and you can be back to full training soon. I'm already tapering but I guess the mileage and intensity are slightly higher than the last time round. Only 13m planned for LSR this weekend. Next week I'm guessing it will be back to the ususal madness.

Barry- you're racing a 10k a week before the mara?

Chick- good luck with the pyramid tonight.

Simon- nice MP run

8m easy this morning before work for me which ended up @ 8:19.

M.r Zuvai    pirate
15/11/2012 at 13:51

awesome line up - some potenially great head to heads

im home and have the priviledge of my first ever lunchtime run!  nothing specatular - just a steady 4 miles but what a great way to spend lunch!

15/11/2012 at 14:05

Update - I have a cold. Paramedics are on the way.....

15/11/2012 at 14:24

ok I need advice.

I've had two weeks of hangovers and the cold.  I haven't stopped running and running hasn't made anything worse.  I feel ok, a little tired but I'm not getting much time to sleep.

I do however have a cough.  Not chesty as such but in the windpipe.  I'm coughing about every 5-10 mins and there is something being coughed up each time.

So, racing on Sunday - good idea or not?  I feel well enough but I don't want to push this further down into my chest and risk pneumonia at best, death at worst.

15/11/2012 at 15:03

I can help with the hangover part... STOP BL**DY DRINKING!!!!!

15/11/2012 at 15:05

I didn't have one last night.

15/11/2012 at 15:09

Damn, foiled that plan then!

Think i'd give the race a swerve if it were me. I assume it's not an A race and you will be running the risk of setting back your base for Spring mara programme?

Then again this is coming from a man who is racing (possibly on one leg) on Sunday, when i clearly shouldn't! 

15/11/2012 at 15:15

Daren-thats a great line up.I loved watching the original version. I think it used to be dominated by a judo guy called Jacks who won it 4 years in a row or something like that,. Watching Keegan give his all was good too especailly when he fell of his bike and cut himself to pieces-total committment even for a tv show.

Bro-I did a pb 10k run the week before my marathon so give Barry a break. It served as a useful measure as to what pace to run the marathon at too.Good to see you easing back with a run under double figures mileage

Minni-why ask -youll do it anyway. If I said rest would you?No I dont think so Best to get to bed early every night until the race dose up on paracetemol and vit c and not run so that you have a proper taper. Following your advice of resting I swam 2k in our local municipal pool.This wasnt training ,it was an experiment to see if I reacted differently to the David Lloyd pool I swam in yestrday, It isnt as plush and the water was noticably cooler and so far I havent had anything like the reaction I had yesterday. So far so good. Now if I could get water samples from each where could I get them analysed-bet someone on this thread can do it.Seriously if it does get on your chest dont race.

15/11/2012 at 15:24

Keegan was a legend - one of those people who always gave 100%. Didn't he run about 1:25 at the first GNR?

What's your race this weekend Minni? Personally, I'd probably give it a miss - could make the illness worse and you won't do yourself justice if you're ill anyway.

Dubai Dave    pirate
15/11/2012 at 15:28

Bro: I have often raced 10K's the week before a marathon, their a good speed workout without being very far. This year I have an Olympic Tri the week before Dubai marathon and perhaps more worryingly another one the week after and the week after that!

Minni: Only you can answer the question as to how you feel. I ran with a cold at Munich and ended up with Pneumonia so for sure theres a risk if you race hard when not well but there again the two may have been completely unrelated. Sunday is still a way off see how you feel on Saturday before making any decisions and stay off the booze! 

15/11/2012 at 15:31

Minni- if you are still coughing things up on Sunday, don't do it.  Doesn't sound good to me.  Rest! But you won't listen anyway...

15/11/2012 at 15:31

Minni - I've had colds before where the phlegmy cough lingers for weeks afterwards but I feel really well apart from that. It's never stopped me running....but you need to judge whether that applies to you. Take some good cough medicing for chesty coughs and bring up as much of the phlegm as you can - also make sure you spit, don't swallow.   Then make a call on Sunday - if you are still thinking it could be a chest infection then don't run.

Re Superstars - they aren't allowed to compete in their 'own' event, so surely Mo couldn't do the 800m? I mean I know it's not his distance but he would walk all over the others, including the Brownlees....who surely will be ruled out of cycling and swimming as well as running? Not sure how that will work?

15/11/2012 at 15:41

\10 mile.

I was drunk for the whole of the 80s, which is probably why I can't remember Superstars. 

2old - I did a survey on my drinking water at home a few weeks ago.  We live in a high lead area and our water is untreated.  We had to take samples of our water every time we used it over 4 days - there were bottles everywhere.    Don't know the outcome yet (shit - maybe my cough is lead posioning.... ).  I know this has bugger all to do with your swimming pool issue but kind of connected.

15/11/2012 at 15:44

I also have a party in Edinburgh tomorrow night.....

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.