RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

22,821 to 22,840 of 36,987 messages
14/11/2012 at 22:38
Minni- what are you trying to tell me? My guess is that Barry does his marathon next week but we shall see what he says
Spoons- that's an interesting training and racing plan. Where can I read up all about it?
14/11/2012 at 22:40
Bro/Chick - Sorry for over complicating things. Basically, if you aim for 5secs per mile/km under target pace, you'll be ok even if your garmin tracks long.

Daren - Wow, they're very fast intervals, excellent.
14/11/2012 at 22:43
2old - I feel for you - injury is a cruel beast. But you've had a storming year with 2 fantastic marathons and in another month you'll be starting to build for London. So, take the chance now to get that calf better and have a break then you'll be as fresh as a daisy come marathon training. I know it's hard but Momma Minni knows best.
14/11/2012 at 22:44

Daren - ah, I thought Norwich was this weekend as well. I'm all for a taper before a half

Your plan sounds very tought Spoons. I am doing similar in marathon buildup though with the XC season. Won't be all out racing though, and not HM distance either.

7 miles this morning part way into work. feeling pretty good. Just 2 more runs and 8  more miles on the plan before my half. 

14/11/2012 at 23:02
Minni- maybe I should listen to you ....and my body
Ant- good- another race for us to look forward to.
14/11/2012 at 23:12

Freemers, belated congrats on your prize at the weekend . I walked past St James Park at lunchtime and it would have been lovely weather for your run plus I love the feel of leaves underfoot and the autumn colours.

So many calf injuries . I've only had the one but it was tempting to stretch but I was told you're not meant to as it'll make a tear worse but you can foam roller. Hope you all recover quickly.

O4S, hope you enjoyed the wine tasting and made it home safely.

Spoons, I hope you get the Monday off after weekends like that!

Dubai Dave    pirate
15/11/2012 at 04:45
Morning

2old: the Hajar mountains stretch from the Mussandam down through Oman rising to 9000 feet, you have to go over them to get to the Indian Ocean, I'm expecting 30C with10 knot winds tomorrow, god help me I have never ridden that far and haven't trained for it.

Last night I was on the 1K reps which what ever Minni says are infinitely preferable to 1 mile reps, so. 6 x 1K off 1 minute recoveries went 3.49 / 3.44 / 3.47 / 3.48 / 3.40 / 3.44 so pretty consistent.

Nothing today and its a holiday Islamic New Year
Scuba Trooper    pirate
15/11/2012 at 07:25

Strange mix of fast paced sessions for some and injury for others. Hope the calf injuries improve soon.

DD - Good luck with the long bike, you are fit enough to be fine.

Bro - When do you start to taper? Good to hear Speed Sheep is missing in action but in a good way.

OS4 - Wine and bike riding, be careful a mate a uni got stopped by a policeman and told to dismount or get arrested as she was so drunk, and that was on a campus.

Monday I had a bubble echocardiogram which identified a hole in my heart and a shunt (blood flow between the 2 halfs of the heart) caused by it, this is almost certainly the cause of my stroke. God knows how i have survived the 200 scuba dives I've done as a hole in the heart is a common cause of bents. I'm back in for a trans oesphageal echo today to examine the hole and work out exactly where it is and how big and then whether it can/should be closed. Been asked not to train this week until the full extent of condition is know, not sure what that means given I've marathon trained for the last 2 years.

I'm going to have to ask how much pace I've lost due to an inefficient blood flow in my heart, what should my mara pb really be?

I hope it can all be sorted before christmas and my plans for next year are still possible, should know by the end of the day.

Dubai Dave    pirate
15/11/2012 at 07:59

ST: Good to hear that they have found the problem, now lets hope they can fix it. 

15/11/2012 at 08:24
Quite a few doing races this weekend.

Ant P, BecsA , Chic, Oompa? Dubai Dave with a big bike event too. Anyone else?

Scuba, great that they have found something. Sounds promising, fingers crossed on the news you want.

Dubai Dave, looks a nice session for sub 40 10k?

How are the Calf Club today? Wonder why so many. Weather?
15/11/2012 at 11:01

Morning all

DD-I suppose if a session is going to hurt it might as well hurt in a spectacular setting like those mountains. Good interval session too .As FRC says sub 40 10k beckons.There's a few of us nearly there but I think it will be you or FRC who gets there first-apologies to anyone else whose there or thereabouts too

ST-its always a bit of a worry when a bombshell is dropped like that. Good thing the experts can now give you a good going over and sort you out.I had a scare this time last year over my enlarged heart until the Consultant said it was like that not due to a problem but to my exercise regime.

FRC- calf is not as tight as it was thanks and there is no pain but I am going to err on the side of caution and not be tempted to run tonight.I now remember that I had this problem about the same time in 2009 and reoccurrance of it a couple of times afterwards meant I effectively had to delay the  start of training for VLM 2010 until the end of January of that year. I think I did mine trying out another pair of new running shoes-flat lightweight type -aimed at helping me get faster!! Not a good idea so soon after a marathon campaign and a HM race run  at full blast. So much for getting quicker!

Might do a bit of spinning tonight if it doesnt get me into trouble with Minni.

15/11/2012 at 11:06

ST - fingers crossed they can sort it easy enough.

As Ant says - the races will not be PB races. Think of them like tempo runs. It's all about building strength and stamina.

15/11/2012 at 11:44

Daren -  I remember Superstars, essential friday night viewing, I think Sky tried to resurrect it a few years ago.

Scuba -  Good news they have found the problem, hopefully they can get it sorted quickly.

Florence marathon is next weekend, I have the delights of the Wiltshire countryside this sunday for the Swindon 10K. 5 miles this morning 1 WU 3 steady 1 WD.

15/11/2012 at 11:58
Spoons. wrote (see)

As Ant says - the races will not be PB races. Think of them like tempo runs. It's all about building strength and stamina.

Why not just go for a tempo run and save yourself the entry fees?

15/11/2012 at 12:20

Spoons: that's simply nuts. Where do you find these sado coaches??

DD: jeepers, you are getting quicker and quicker! Am with you: mile reps really really suck but k reps are a close second

ST: crikey! I reckon we can all be happy that you are still with us. Can they sew it up or how does one fix a hole in the heart ?

I'm going to do a 10k pace pyramid tonight. The plan was for the morning but we have freezing fog again and cold air inevitably causes an asthma attack. The fog is gone now, it's bright and sunny and I can't wait to be outta here

Looks like there's quite a few of us racing on Sunday

15/11/2012 at 12:22

Scuba - glad they have identified the problem, now let's hope they fix it quickly

DD - speedy reps .  I quite like 1k reps too, but I think I probably need to do more mile reps for better speed endurance.

Rest day for me today.

15/11/2012 at 12:22
Barry - Superstars was brilliant, ahead of it's time really. Now it would be just another celebrity reality show, but I bet they don't get the top stars competing head to head like they used to. Brian Jacks was awesome!

ST - Great news on finding the cause, it must be a relief for yourself, let's hope they can sort it and give you and extra 5secs per mile boost.

8m at MP this morning for me. Started slower and slowly increased the pace so finished in 1:03:54 @ 7.59 ave pace. Compression socks on just to save the calfs, as there seems to be a calf bug going round.
15/11/2012 at 13:32

Take care ST, glad they found out what the problem was and hope they can sort it out.

Simon, they have got the top stars for this one-off! All of them are Olympic medal winners...

• Alistair Brownlee: Gold, triathlon
  • Jonathan Brownlee: Bronze, triathlon
  • Mo Farah: Gold, 5,000m and 10,000m
  • Robbie Grabarz: Bronze, high jump
  • Michael Jamieson: Silver, 200m breast stroke swimming
  • Anthony Joshua: Gold, super-heavyweight boxing
  • Andrew Triggs Hodge: Gold, rowing (coxless four)
  • Peter Wilson: Gold, shooting (double trap)
  • Nicola Adams: Gold, flyweight boxing
  • Lizzie Armitstead: Silver, cycling (road race)
  • Laura Bechtolsheimer: Gold and bronze, dressage
  • Gemma Gibbons: Silver, judo
  • Helen Glover: Gold, rowing (coxless pair)
  • Katherine Grainger: Gold, rowing (double sculls)
  • Jade Jones: Gold, taekwondo
  • Christine Ohuruogu: Silver, 400m

Be interesting to see Mo take on the Brownlees over 800m. I can't imagine his javelin will be too good though!

15/11/2012 at 13:48

ST- at least you know what it is.  It would drive me insane not knowing.  Hope it can get sorted and you can be back to full training soon. I'm already tapering but I guess the mileage and intensity are slightly higher than the last time round. Only 13m planned for LSR this weekend. Next week I'm guessing it will be back to the ususal madness.

Barry- you're racing a 10k a week before the mara?

Chick- good luck with the pyramid tonight.

Simon- nice MP run

8m easy this morning before work for me which ended up @ 8:19.

M.r Zuvai    pirate
15/11/2012 at 13:51

awesome line up - some potenially great head to heads

im home and have the priviledge of my first ever lunchtime run!  nothing specatular - just a steady 4 miles but what a great way to spend lunch!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.