RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

22,841 to 22,860 of 36,999 messages
15/11/2012 at 14:05

Update - I have a cold. Paramedics are on the way.....

15/11/2012 at 14:24

ok I need advice.

I've had two weeks of hangovers and the cold.  I haven't stopped running and running hasn't made anything worse.  I feel ok, a little tired but I'm not getting much time to sleep.

I do however have a cough.  Not chesty as such but in the windpipe.  I'm coughing about every 5-10 mins and there is something being coughed up each time.

So, racing on Sunday - good idea or not?  I feel well enough but I don't want to push this further down into my chest and risk pneumonia at best, death at worst.

15/11/2012 at 15:03

I can help with the hangover part... STOP BL**DY DRINKING!!!!!

15/11/2012 at 15:05

I didn't have one last night.

15/11/2012 at 15:09

Damn, foiled that plan then!

Think i'd give the race a swerve if it were me. I assume it's not an A race and you will be running the risk of setting back your base for Spring mara programme?

Then again this is coming from a man who is racing (possibly on one leg) on Sunday, when i clearly shouldn't! 

15/11/2012 at 15:15

Daren-thats a great line up.I loved watching the original version. I think it used to be dominated by a judo guy called Jacks who won it 4 years in a row or something like that,. Watching Keegan give his all was good too especailly when he fell of his bike and cut himself to pieces-total committment even for a tv show.

Bro-I did a pb 10k run the week before my marathon so give Barry a break. It served as a useful measure as to what pace to run the marathon at too.Good to see you easing back with a run under double figures mileage

Minni-why ask -youll do it anyway. If I said rest would you?No I dont think so Best to get to bed early every night until the race dose up on paracetemol and vit c and not run so that you have a proper taper. Following your advice of resting I swam 2k in our local municipal pool.This wasnt training ,it was an experiment to see if I reacted differently to the David Lloyd pool I swam in yestrday, It isnt as plush and the water was noticably cooler and so far I havent had anything like the reaction I had yesterday. So far so good. Now if I could get water samples from each where could I get them analysed-bet someone on this thread can do it.Seriously if it does get on your chest dont race.

15/11/2012 at 15:24

Keegan was a legend - one of those people who always gave 100%. Didn't he run about 1:25 at the first GNR?

What's your race this weekend Minni? Personally, I'd probably give it a miss - could make the illness worse and you won't do yourself justice if you're ill anyway.

Dubai Dave    pirate
15/11/2012 at 15:28

Bro: I have often raced 10K's the week before a marathon, their a good speed workout without being very far. This year I have an Olympic Tri the week before Dubai marathon and perhaps more worryingly another one the week after and the week after that!

Minni: Only you can answer the question as to how you feel. I ran with a cold at Munich and ended up with Pneumonia so for sure theres a risk if you race hard when not well but there again the two may have been completely unrelated. Sunday is still a way off see how you feel on Saturday before making any decisions and stay off the booze! 

15/11/2012 at 15:31

Minni- if you are still coughing things up on Sunday, don't do it.  Doesn't sound good to me.  Rest! But you won't listen anyway...

15/11/2012 at 15:31

Minni - I've had colds before where the phlegmy cough lingers for weeks afterwards but I feel really well apart from that. It's never stopped me running....but you need to judge whether that applies to you. Take some good cough medicing for chesty coughs and bring up as much of the phlegm as you can - also make sure you spit, don't swallow.   Then make a call on Sunday - if you are still thinking it could be a chest infection then don't run.

Re Superstars - they aren't allowed to compete in their 'own' event, so surely Mo couldn't do the 800m? I mean I know it's not his distance but he would walk all over the others, including the Brownlees....who surely will be ruled out of cycling and swimming as well as running? Not sure how that will work?

15/11/2012 at 15:41

\10 mile.

I was drunk for the whole of the 80s, which is probably why I can't remember Superstars. 

2old - I did a survey on my drinking water at home a few weeks ago.  We live in a high lead area and our water is untreated.  We had to take samples of our water every time we used it over 4 days - there were bottles everywhere.    Don't know the outcome yet (shit - maybe my cough is lead posioning.... ).  I know this has bugger all to do with your swimming pool issue but kind of connected.

15/11/2012 at 15:44

I also have a party in Edinburgh tomorrow night.....

15/11/2012 at 15:48

Minni-are you suggesting I drink the water when I swim? If theres lead in your water that will explain why you always sink when you swim. Looks like the Thread Health Police here think you shouldnt run.Youve got three nights of good quality sleep to get in and Im sure youll have recovered for that 10 miler by then.

15/11/2012 at 15:50

Minni-cross post-party in Edinburgh? Youre fu**ed then! I think Superstarts was in the 70s too

Scuba Trooper    pirate
15/11/2012 at 17:18

Minni - Doesn't sound like you think you should run but want to, you know your own body, I'm not going to give advice, I did 2 marathons with a hole in my heart

Brolish - sorry I didn't notice from your mileage that you were tapering

Thanks everyone for your kind words, I do feel better knowing what caused the stroke and the test today has confirmed the hole can be closed. I see the consultant again next week to talk about the pros and cons of the closure and the whens and how. Hope it can all be sorted by Christmas

Scuba Trooper    pirate
15/11/2012 at 17:27

Can't wait for super stars

15/11/2012 at 17:44
ST- 2 marathons with a hole in your heart ! Bit of a superstar yourself I think. Here's hoping that Santa delivers that present this Xmas. Didn't you know that Bro s taper is the same as our peak week ?
DD- that's a hectic four weeks. Which is your A race or is it A for All of them ?
Free- cant say I'd like to be near you coughing up all that phlegm .
Daren- better not get too carried away about Keegan - wasn't he from Minnis neck of the woods?
I'm tempted to try some spinning later if my fish and chips have digested.
15/11/2012 at 18:20
Freemers wrote (see)

Minni - - also make sure you spit, don't swallow.  

Yes, King Kev was/is a NUFC hero.  I have hair like him first thing in the morning.

Scuba Trooper wrote (see)

I did 2 marathons with a hole in my heart

Some people just have to go one further....

2old wrote (see)

I think Superstarts was in the 70s too

I were just a nipper then.

15/11/2012 at 19:32
Freemers wrote (see)

make sure you spit, don't swallow.

Are you sure that's right?

15/11/2012 at 19:33

Anyway - I'm having a night off due to cold. No point making it worse. 

Perhaps Minni could learn something here.....

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.