RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

22,841 to 22,860 of 37,190 messages
15/11/2012 at 15:48

Minni-are you suggesting I drink the water when I swim? If theres lead in your water that will explain why you always sink when you swim. Looks like the Thread Health Police here think you shouldnt run.Youve got three nights of good quality sleep to get in and Im sure youll have recovered for that 10 miler by then.

15/11/2012 at 15:50

Minni-cross post-party in Edinburgh? Youre fu**ed then! I think Superstarts was in the 70s too

Scuba Trooper    pirate
15/11/2012 at 17:18

Minni - Doesn't sound like you think you should run but want to, you know your own body, I'm not going to give advice, I did 2 marathons with a hole in my heart

Brolish - sorry I didn't notice from your mileage that you were tapering

Thanks everyone for your kind words, I do feel better knowing what caused the stroke and the test today has confirmed the hole can be closed. I see the consultant again next week to talk about the pros and cons of the closure and the whens and how. Hope it can all be sorted by Christmas

Scuba Trooper    pirate
15/11/2012 at 17:27

Can't wait for super stars

15/11/2012 at 17:44
ST- 2 marathons with a hole in your heart ! Bit of a superstar yourself I think. Here's hoping that Santa delivers that present this Xmas. Didn't you know that Bro s taper is the same as our peak week ?
DD- that's a hectic four weeks. Which is your A race or is it A for All of them ?
Free- cant say I'd like to be near you coughing up all that phlegm .
Daren- better not get too carried away about Keegan - wasn't he from Minnis neck of the woods?
I'm tempted to try some spinning later if my fish and chips have digested.
15/11/2012 at 18:20
Freemers wrote (see)

Minni - - also make sure you spit, don't swallow.  

Yes, King Kev was/is a NUFC hero.  I have hair like him first thing in the morning.

Scuba Trooper wrote (see)

I did 2 marathons with a hole in my heart

Some people just have to go one further....

2old wrote (see)

I think Superstarts was in the 70s too

I were just a nipper then.

15/11/2012 at 19:32
Freemers wrote (see)

make sure you spit, don't swallow.

Are you sure that's right?

15/11/2012 at 19:33

Anyway - I'm having a night off due to cold. No point making it worse. 

Perhaps Minni could learn something here.....

15/11/2012 at 20:08
Minni - You may of been a nipper, but I bet you were still p*ssed in the 70's, you're just a party animal.

Daren - Sounds like a good line up, is it on normal tv or sky? If not normal, I'll catch it in about 6mnths time.

Bro - Enjoy your taper, have you managed to chill out a bit?
15/11/2012 at 20:39

Scuba Trooper - that all sounds very familiar. I had a PFO which is fixed now. Did 400 dives with no ill effects before finding out about it. Only found out after getting migraines after Trimix dives. Had the bubble echo and they found it. Got it closed at the end of 2010, but I still have some residual shunt. Will probably have another test soon to see if that has gone. Don't think getting it fixed improves athletic performance however! (PS feel free to PM me if you want any info)

Edited: 15/11/2012 at 20:39
15/11/2012 at 20:46

ST, good news to know what's going and even better that there's a solution in sight.

Minni, hope you feel better soon. Give yourself a bit of a break and see how you feel in a few days.

Superstars sounds great.

Some good news on my knee. Went to see my chiro today who said that my glutes weren't working, but corrected my back and says that the knees should be better in a few days . I'm finding the cycling easier to fit in at the moment and am quite enjoying it, but am also looking at runners with envy so it'll be good to be able to do a bit of both.

15/11/2012 at 21:11

I hope the long run followed by a race plan was a joke Spoons? I've done a long run the day after a (shorter) race but not the other way round.  I've attempted a parkrun after 13 miles and that was bad enough

2old Minni is talking sense, injury aside a few weeks off will do you good after Liverpool.  Did you go spinning? 

Minni you wouldn't have asked if you knew you were well enough to race on Sunday.  Sack it off, have a lie in and get yourself better again.  And have a god time in Edinburgh, I love a night out in Edinburgh

Good to hear you finally have a diagnosis ST, hope they can do something for you that will get you back out running again where you want to be.

Enjoy the pyramid Chick, pyramids are the best session there is!

I prefer 1K reps to mile reps too DD, mile reps are horrible.  Nice session last night off short recoveries!

Did 10 miles last night with Parsnip and 5 with a friend tonight.  I'm off to Liverpool on Saturday with a few friends, hoping to get out on Sunday when we get back for about 14 miles but it'll depend on how much time I have before we head out to watch the football at 4pm (OK, and how hungover I am)

15/11/2012 at 21:15
Becsa- good to hear you're on the way back to running. Really miss it when it can't be done.
Ant- another tribute to the medical profession. Looks like diving isn't that good for the health to me. Not sure running is either as we watch our bodies crumble .
Minni- wonder what sort of nipper you were- angelic or a right little s@d? Anyone got any suggestions. Following your instructions to rest ,I duly didn't run so have done 30 k spinning.
Wonder how I will rest tomorrow.
15/11/2012 at 21:19
Carrot- as you can see I couldn't rest. I'm in Liverpool Friday night so that's no good is it ! Run along the river and then up to and around Sefton park and back. That's the last 14 miles of the Marathon and covers most of the roads used for the local half and 10k. Can't beat running and sweating out the booze
15/11/2012 at 21:43

Hmmm 2old I didn't think of packing my kit and running there! I could sneak out before the girls even wake up...

15/11/2012 at 21:51
Carrot- doesn't everyone pack their kit just in case? Alternatively you could run north to Crosby beach see Anthony Gormleys Another Place statues and run back.
15/11/2012 at 21:52

Minni:  I'm probably not the best person to advise on this, but if you do run don't try to push it.  I have done races coughing and spitting my way round and provided you don't try to push it you often find you feel better at the end.  Mind you the races need to be at least 30 miles long

15/11/2012 at 21:53
Minni, I'm sure you do remember Superstars a little.

Scuba great news.

Carrot, enjoy. Not sure if you're back home Sunday or still in Liverpool. Easy enough to run along Albert dock and to Otterspool. Can easily run for 5-6 miles & back.
2old, don't know if you spotted the Liverbird marathons on Dec 31st & Jan 1st on this route, out & back 4 times, ??20 a day, 30 for both.
15/11/2012 at 22:06
Garmin route here Carrot, could run that 6 mile section or variations.

Definitely go see Another Place, looks amazing, with all the figures in the water, but running to it isn't ideal. Crosby is my home town actually, and I would never run from my office in town to see my Dad. Way too risky with traffic.
15/11/2012 at 23:12
ST - sheesh, good news to understand more about what's going on, and get some insight from ant.

Minni - if you are ill, rest; if not, run. Leave the decision late and see how you feel as close to the race as you can.

Becs - sounds like progress

2old - no ill effects with the cycling?

Spoons/Freemers - filth

Thanks for the various bits of calf advice, much appreciated. Its feeling much better - its just stiff like after a bad calf cramp now. As my other calf is now feeling stiff too my theory is that the 2 long days on the mtb at the weekend after very little biking recently (unusual for me) helped cause it.
Going to test with a run on Saturday. Got some value out of a 3 hour meeting today by stretching and trying to do some deepish tissue massage...
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.