RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

22,881 to 22,900 of 37,464 messages
16/11/2012 at 21:40

Cheers for all the tips about where to run on Sunday morning 2old and FRC, will see where I end up and report back

What's the strategy for Sunday Cooks? Hope the knee holds out and the thunderstorm holds off!! Running in thunderstorms is fun for a few miles but not a marathon worth of miles. You'll do really well on Sunday, have faith in yourself.

Daren - go on Sunday and do what you do best!

Enjoy the do Minni, at least with a meal you can keep your feet hidden under the table!

You enjoyed the pyramid really Chick, good to hear the calf is getting better.

16/11/2012 at 21:45

Minni - wear your running shoes. I'm sure you'll have them.

Cooks - best of luck. Go smash it!

I'm on another rest day and missing my drinks. Wine and Lemsip.

16/11/2012 at 22:06
Red wine cures the cough...
16/11/2012 at 22:44
Minni- enjoy the vino
Cooks- good luck in Valencia. I didn't see this one when I was looking for an alternative mara after NY. It looks good. Go and smash it!
16/11/2012 at 23:59
Lucky you didn't, probably would've been a hurricane

Good luck Cooks, and the others running half & 10ks.
Dubai Dave    pirate
17/11/2012 at 06:05
Morning

Cooks: good luck your flying at the moment

Daren ; as above

2Old: the marathon is the A race. The schedule in Jan is no worse than the next few weeks. Next week 23/11 Olympic Tri, 30/11 5 mile run, 7/12 1/2 M. 14/12 92K bike race, 15/12 10K.

Yesterday's bike ride was a no dramas day started at 0530and kept pedalling for 6 hours and 39 minutes up and over the mountains back down to the sea. 221K or about 140 miles, average speed 32.7K or a bit over 20MPH. Scary bit was seeing 83KPH (50MPH) on my Garmin as I went down the back of the mountain. Sore bum today,may trot later
Edited: 17/11/2012 at 06:33
17/11/2012 at 07:30

140 miles at over 20 mph including a mountain to climb?

Still on Lemsip here. Breathing is not good either so yet another rest day

17/11/2012 at 07:59

DD - Excellent ride @20mph ave. I might just give that leg shaving a go.

Spoons - Wise decision, Minni would still be out running, coughing and spluttering eveywhere.

Dubai Dave    pirate
17/11/2012 at 08:49

Spoons: The first 60 miles were sat in the peleton and I only took two pulls at the front, next 40 miles over the mountains were on my own and the last 40 miles were in a group of 10 or so working together, so not so hard to keep the speed up.

17/11/2012 at 10:01

Sounds easy then! 

17/11/2012 at 10:02

I'm obviously not a very good cyclist! 

17/11/2012 at 10:12

Spoons - Cycling in a group/peleton is a lot easier than on your own. I suppose the nearest thing running related, would be running with a tailwind all the time, you use 25-30% less energy. No disrespect to DD, it's still an awesome performance thou

17/11/2012 at 10:20
Minni- how are you feeling today?
Gazelle- nice run yesterday, enjoy the Malibu
Chick- well done on getting that pyramid in.
My 10k reps were ok last night although not a walk in the park and I only had to do 3x 1k. Makes me wonder if I've lost some speed with all this on and off tapering...Oh well.
I have a tequila party to go to tonight so am being sensible and getting 13m in before rather than after.
Good luck to all the racers and have a great weekend everyone.
17/11/2012 at 11:16

Good luck to Cooks in Valencia -  I'm sure you'll smash it - and to this weekend's other racers!

I'm not one of them - it's next Sunday, not tomorrow! I did intend to run the YKW this morning, but was a bit disorganised, couldn't find my barcode, printer was out of ink so couldn't print a new one etc. so didn't make it in the end. Shame really, because I decided to go out and run 5k on my own instead and clocked 19:11 (6:10mm av), so pretty certain I could have gone comfortably sub-19 in a race today. Oh well, looking good for the Norwich half though.

Fantastic cycling DD, peloton or not, that is an awesome effort!

17/11/2012 at 12:28

Daren - Great 5k time for a none race. With that extra race day motivation, you'll easy go sub-19 at your next ykw.

Talking of 5k's. I was talking to a friend at work at the vending machine, and he mentioned some charity 5k race that was coming up shortly that some collegues had entered, and he asked if I had also entered . There was a few seconds pause, and then to quote a famous supermodel, he said to me, ' I bet you don't get out of bed for less than 10k'. We both lol, and I said 'actually your probably right'. So New year resolution to myself, get and do some ykw's, you don't have to go big everytime.

Cooks / And any other racers.....Good luck, and don't be SHIT

17/11/2012 at 13:03
DD- impressive ride today. You've got a tough but fun few weeks of racing planned!
Daren-when you can bang out a fast 5k like that and not race it will be huge assurance as to what you an do when you do race. I'm looking onward to seeing what you can do in your HM. Hope you intend to push it to the limit.
Cooks- have a great race- Boston is in the bag!
Minni- hope you're feeling better. I'm taking your advice seriously and laying off running a little longer
Bro- I think you will be pleasantly surprised when you finally get the marathon done . Don't worry about losing pace worry about holding yourself back!
Simon- 20 mph even with drafting for that distance is pretty amazing. ..speaking as someone whose backside isn't conditioned to do more than 30k
Gazelle- great run
Simon- which races do you have in mind ? Sorry for my ignorance remind me what ykw means
Another rest day for me though I may watch some of the rugby in the gym doing some spinning and rowing. After all it's only cross training. ..isn't it AA ?
17/11/2012 at 14:05

2old - This time last year when we were gearing up for spring marathon training, it was deemed, (probably Minni ), that doing 5k parkruns wasn't allowed for proper mara training. So instead of mentioning parkruns people wud just say they had entered a 'You Know What', aka ykw

17/11/2012 at 14:21

Afternoon All,

Haven't been on for a while as had to collect Ms Oompa's first car from Warwick... Just saying it makes me feel bloody old.

Cooks - Good luck for tomorrow.You know that you've got a sub 3.00 in you, so you absolutely will go sub 3.10.  Subject to the body being willing i intend to do the same pre VLM races as last year, so will definitely be at TW half and also Paddock Wood (to polish my pb on a flat track). Good luck mate... Go get those Senor's & Senorita's!!!

Ashamed to admit that i'm planning on run/walking Brighton 10k tomorrow as the calf is still busted! I would ordinarily not do it at all, but as the OH is doing it as well and made me swear on pain of death that i wouldn't miss this race as well, so i have little choice! 

17/11/2012 at 14:23

Perhaps BA isn't as dim as I give him credit for - I ride in front of him for every mile of the many thousands we do every year .  Great effort DD!!  The most I have done in one stretch is 135 miles and it certainly wasn't at that pace - although the navigation was a bit tricky - hence 135 miles!

Had a good one hour run in the dusk yesterday, ran 'naked' so no idea of distance or speed but suspect it wasn't fast.  Today went for a pyramid session, trying to increase my pace every mile and then drop it off again - mainly to get an idea of what different paces actually feel like.  Even after nearly 40 years of running I am rubbish at gauging pace.

Went out at 9.17 warm-up with BA then

8.58       average LSR pace

8.38       marathon B target

8.23       marathon A target [at the moment]

8.08       half marathon current target

7.55       10k target

Loop back to collect BA and cool down

Very enjoyable and the 8.09 and 8.14 at the end felt infinitely easier than the similar paced miles earlier.  Note to self, must start slow and speed up rather than the reverse which is what I tend to do

17/11/2012 at 14:29

I'm rubbish at pacing myself too, O4S.

Minni wrote (see)
Thanks Chick. I've almost decided not to race because my chest is worse today.

attagirl

Dubai Dave wrote (see)
Morning

Yesterday's bike ride was a no dramas day started at 0530and kept pedalling for 6 hours and 39 minutes up and over the mountains back down to the sea. 221K or about 140 miles, average speed 32.7K or a bit over 20MPH. Scary bit was seeing 83KPH (50MPH) on my Garmin as I went down the back of the mountain. Sore bum today,may trot later

blimey - you are an endurance monster, DD! Well cycled.

I think I'm coming down with a cold. Nose is blocked and throat sore . Rubbish timing!!!!! Hope I can keep it at bay for another 18 hours - it can hit after the race, not before

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.