RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

22,961 to 22,980 of 37,209 messages
18/11/2012 at 18:05
Cooks - Well done on the PB, great time, especially as you re-visited your breakfast!

FRC - A belated well done for your new half pb.

Chick - As Minnie said, if it's not to be... Onwards and upwards. This might make you feel better...

Well I don't think I'll be bothering anyone on the pb spreadsheet after today's performance...

Beautiful day in Brighton for running... Cool and sunny. Would've had PB written all over it if fit! Went for a very short w/up with OH, back to the car to get rid of hats trackies etc... Unfortunately as we approached the start line on Madeira Drive I felt the calf tighten (no pop this time though). Was 50/50 as to whether to run but decided to give it a go.
First 1.5 km to the turn was horrible, crowded and painful, however once heading back towards Hove the calf started to feel okay'ish so I left OH and started passing all the stragglers. Was running naked so had no clue as to my time, but felt okay going through 5k. Got to the turn at Hove and the slight incline that you wouldn't notice ordinarily put paid to the calf and then struggled to the finish line in a slowest ever time of 47.51!
However, all things considered, I'm glad I ran and can now rest without any races, so that I can (hopefully)be fit for New Year VLM training.
18/11/2012 at 18:18

Oompa - that's not a slow 10k at all!  Definitely concentrate on getting ready for marathon training now.

Chick - forget the time - you are a WINNER!

Ant - come on and put us out our misery.

Decorating done, roast dinner almost ready then I'm going to flop.

18/11/2012 at 19:39

OMG - if these are all slow 10k times [please tell me that it wasn't really a 6 minute PW Chick] I think I will stick to ultras. Were you all just born fast??

Congrats to Barry and The Cookster - great runs.

Chick - that may be shit for you but I'm with Becs on this one.  Well done on getting round and hopefully banishing the cold.

Spent today organising and washing up after a neighbour's 90th birthday 'do' at lunchtime so no running, just a brisk walk for an hour to shake out the cobwebs.

18/11/2012 at 20:14
Chick - don't worry and well done for finishing.

Cooks - amazing time. Hope you're ok.

Minni - it could be the plague. Rest up

Spoons - how you feeling?

Kiwi - hope you got through the 5 miles ok today.
18/11/2012 at 20:28

Cooks - great pb, looking forward to hearing more

Barry - great pb, so close...  Whens the next 10k for you?

Chick - roll on the next races in the series - I'm sure you'll have a pb and will love 10k's by the end of the series!  (and probably a clutch of bling too)

Oompa - eek, hows the calf feeling now?

AA - just in scotland until xmas. Its all a bit complicated right now, I'm split between Scotland, London, and the South Downs, and likely to be doing short bits of work all over for the next year.  My retirement is turning out to be rather difficult to organise!

2old - my local ones in London are Hackney marshes (same as Kev - if you are still about Kev hello!) and Mile end.  Theres 37 of them all around town though so plenty to choose from.

18/11/2012 at 20:35

Taking precautions for the calf so no running today, but found a gem of a mtb trail centre just 20mins away.  Fast flowing jumpy pumpy stuff, whippetted round the 10k loop twice with a big smile on my face.  Gonna take some of my old school mates there over xmas and convert them to biking

Haven't heard a peek from the calf today so looking good for a lunchtime run tomorrow

18/11/2012 at 20:45

Aw bugger.  Just entered Edinburgh marathon...

18/11/2012 at 21:20
Minni - Thanks for the kind words but i was shit!

KFC - Calf v sore at the moment but (and this is the frustrating bit) it'll feel fine in the morning??? I've never known an injury like it!
18/11/2012 at 21:28
Oompa - are you sure it's ok when you think it is? Sometimes we wish our injouies away but they are still there and let us know when we test them. It will go, when you give it a chance.

KFC - nice one. Have you done it before? Sub 3:30 will be yours.
18/11/2012 at 22:27

Minni - thats going to be at London hopefully - I dont think 2 'A' marathons within 5 weeks is realistic for me - you'll know best on that one after last year!  I guess its a back up, although my thinking right now is to jog it with a friend (her pb is 4:45).  I'll see what happens come spring, and when I've got a better idea of what my plans for the next few months look like.  Its fun entering races though...

18/11/2012 at 22:31
Ah right, in that case you're mad!! . I thought you were choosing Edinburgh over London. Although I have to admit I was half wondering about entering as a back up to London... just in case. I looked at the site earlier today and gfa is sub 3:30 and open right up to 8th April.
18/11/2012 at 22:32
Oomp- I'm with Minni on this. Dr Internet said running through calf injuries is not a good idea. Still , that's a good time - what can you do when you're 100%?
Chick- wont listen next time you protest -well placed!
KFC- have you done Edinb before? The adverts say its all downhill so should be fast. Hope it's not hot. Watch that calf. Good to see lots of those pesky 5ks in London. I will look for one whenever I'm there next.
Minni- feeling better?
No news from Ant?
Now in Burmingham for a course tomorrow. Question - will I get to the gym at seven or will the Guinness encourage me to ignore the alarm ?
18/11/2012 at 22:39
Have a lie in 2old!

No not feeling any better, probably worse. I probably won't be at work tomorrow and that's not something I do easily. I can access emails from home though dso can probably do the more urgent things from here.
18/11/2012 at 22:53
Minni - not sounding good - what is it flu? Get well soon . I think the Guiness is winning anyway.
18/11/2012 at 23:45
2old - guinness/lie in 1 - Alarm 0.

Minni - Hope you get over it soon. Just imagine how shit you would of felt if you'd raced?
Dubai Dave    pirate
19/11/2012 at 04:43

Morning

Barry/ Cooks: Sweet! 

Chick: Next time but if you were 1st in in your AG what the hell are you complaining about?

Minni: Hope that you recover soon, as a recovering Man flu victim I can understand how sick you must be

Oompa: heres hoping there is no reaction, as a fellow calf injury prone runner I found that no running for 6 weeks (I cycled and swam) was needed to get over the problem, plus I always wear compression guards for speed work, races and long runs. So far so good. 

Was out pre dawn on the bike and yes my legs are still tired, arse is still sore! But 28 miles done at 20MPH so not too bad. Will run club run tonight but probably not as quickly as usual.

Edited: 19/11/2012 at 04:45
19/11/2012 at 04:59

Cooks -  Congrats on the PB, especially in tough conditions.

Chick -  Unlucky with the race. But well done on the win, prizes?

2old -  Good news you are back running. I would love to get close to your mara time but don't think it's going to happen.

Kfc -  Not a PB but quickest 10K for a couple of years.

Edited: 19/11/2012 at 05:05
19/11/2012 at 09:31
Morning all - the Guiness won !
Barry - have faith
Dd- another fine ride
19/11/2012 at 09:37

Good morning everyone

Minni- considering that I am planning to do VLM it might be wise to book another marathon as a back up. With my track record you never know what might happen. Hope you feel better soon.

5m easy done this morning. 

19/11/2012 at 10:35

Hi gang

Have been peeking in now and again but have very limited internet access at present.

However, it's Norwich HM this weekend and I wondered who would be running? I should be there and will be supporting somewhere.

I won't be running Norwich as I ran Luton Marathon yesterday as a bit of marathon practice. Thought I could do ok although I haven't been training for one specifically. Three laps, very similar to Newcastle in lots of respects, few challenging hills,  a bit off road. Perfect conditions though and I ended up running 3.14.57!!

chickadee I was well chuffed to see your sub 3.30.So pleased you got that one in the bag. By the way I have entered your favourite half marathon again for next year

Fab results at Newcastle too in not such fab conditions. Well done all.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.