RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

22,981 to 23,000 of 37,108 messages
19/11/2012 at 11:41

Minni & 2Old - I am now not running for at least 3-4 weeks to let it heal properly with plenty of massage etc, although i hope DD's 6 week calf lay off doesn't happen to me as i really want to "hit the ground running" in Jan as i will be doing very little, other than skiing over Christmas and New Year, as we're away in Canada.

Calf feels fine this morning, but just swimming and gym for me for the forseeable future, as i can't ride a bike at present due to a left knee tracking issue that mainly manifests on a bike, but i'm trying to sort it via physio.

2Old - My 10k pb is 39.54.

Minni - Hope you feeling a bit better.

KFC - I don't know what the gap is between VLM & Edinburgh, but i did VLM & M.Keynes this year as i had booked MK as a back up for London due to having the 1st reserve spot for VLM in my club ballot, only to find out the week before that i would be running at London as my team mate had sustained a bad injury. I really didn't know which to choose as my A race to try for a gfa (sub 3.15). With the benefit of hindsight, the first will always be the A race imho as it takes too much out of you for the second. However VLM & MK were a week apart, so if there's a decent gap it may be different? 

19/11/2012 at 12:01

Forever - wow, brilliant result from Luton!!...I'm not surprised seeing as how well you have been running and getting under 90 minutes at the GER. You must be so pleased with that! .  Me, Daren and Spoons are all due in Norwich so hopefully see you there somewhere on the course

19/11/2012 at 12:22

haha, good point Brolish!

Oompa - Are you saying you ran London because your club mate couldn't at the last minute?  How did that work because I'm sure the date for transferring club names is February.  Did you run under his name or were you able to change it last minute?

I'm glad to hear you are going to take the proper rest with your calf - I was going to suggest cycling but that seems to be another issue all together!   Have you had your bike set up properly? I've read that any pains or niggles caused by cycling can be eradicated by correct positioning.

What were your times for London and MK?

Forever - storming but as Freemers says, hardly surprising considering your HM time.  Well done.

Off work and had a visit to the GP who has given me an inhaler.

19/11/2012 at 12:23

Oh and where the heck is Ant?  

19/11/2012 at 12:53

Forever - that is brilliant well done. What exactly do you mean by "I haven't been training for one specifically"?

19/11/2012 at 13:17
Spoons - are you doing the half on Sunday?
19/11/2012 at 14:05
Minni wrote (see)

He'd better be - I need someone to chase down and overtake . And good idea to see the doc - hopefully the inhaler will do the trick.

6 miles d&d, around 8.10 pace on average. I can't really decide how to treat this week with the HM coming up. I can't really taper as I've not really done much in the last three weeks to taper down from. I think I'll do one fast session tomorrow or Wednesday (mile reps probably), then fit in some easy runs on Thursday/Friday. Rest Saturday then good to go I hope

19/11/2012 at 14:35

FRC- well done on a sub 90 half time, not doing an Autumn marathon has really brought your shorter race times down, I wonder what time you will pull out in your next marathon

04S- Are the 4 races in 7 days all over 10k? Which ones are they?

Minni good job you didn't race yesterday. Have you needed an inhaler before?

Chick- Don't be so hard on yourself, what was the course like? To have finished first in your age group must of meant that you were good Are the other 4 races on the same course?

Barry, Cooks and Oompa- Great race's from you yesterday.

Forever- wow 3:14 with no specific training. How far was your longest run?

Freemers- Sounds like a good plan to do a speed session and then some easy runs.

I am taking part in our club 1.3mile handicap tonight, target is to beat my time from May 2012, must go and carb load....

19/11/2012 at 14:50

Two trips to the library in one day for me..... people will start to talk if I'm not careful.

Super will see you all on Sunday then  Really looking forward to supporting for a change. Weather is looking good too

Spoons/Gazelle all my training had been totally focused on a half marathon training. GER first then Norwich as my next target. However after Peterborough my heart wasn't in Norwich anymore. Listening to you guys talking about Newcastle made me think about a marathon ionstead.

Therefore, between GER and Luton I raced as normal and did a couple of slow 20s which felt good. I felt no pressure or had any expectation for Luton as it was meant as a learning curve. A nice way to end the year!

19/11/2012 at 15:14

Hi all! Right success in St Neots: 1:32:04. Woo hoo. I went round to a friends house for a sunday roast with lots of red wine right afterwards, so am suffering today. Will write a mini report and catch up on your exploits tonight.

cheers, ant

19/11/2012 at 15:32
Ant- whoop whoop)) great time, congrats!
19/11/2012 at 15:43
Minni wrote (see)

Assuming I am better. I haven't ran since last Wednesday.....

19/11/2012 at 15:44

Ant - well done mate that's brilliant

Forever - be interesting to see what you could do with some proper training then.....

19/11/2012 at 15:53

Yay, Ant   box ticked, well done!! You were going for 1:32, weren't you?

forever: wow, you never cease to amaze us. Sub 3:15 is simply stunning. I moved back home to Germany in 2010, so no more Brentwood Half Marathon for me, sadly. If you continue to take such massive chunks of your marathon time you'll be doing sub 3 at VLM next year

Wow, Minni, that sounds serious. Hope you haven't caught anything nasty.  

Gazelle!! I wish wrote (see)

Chick- Don't be so hard on yourself, what was the course like? To have finished first in your age group must of meant that you were good Are the other 4 races on the same course?

yep, all on the same course. It's a 5k loop that you do twice. 2k is on the pavement, the other 3 on a trail. It's more or less flat. The trail bit was a bit challenging due to rain, mud and lots of wet slippery leaves but all in all it's an ok course and on a good day I'm sure I can get a 43:xx there.

The leading ladies usually finish this in around 40 mins and the men do 36-37-ish. Perhaps something interesting was on the telly yesterday that nobody quicker turned up

Prizes will be awarded at the end of the series to the top 3 men and women with the quickest average time in the different distance categories (regardless of age group). The category thing a bit complicated because you can do 4 options in each race: 5, 10, 15 or 20k. At the end of the series there are categories for 20, 40, 60 and 80k. If I go for 5 x 10k I would get rated in the 40k category but if I did 4 x 10k and 1x20k it would be 60k category. Anyway, the plan is to stick to the 10k option. If I manage the next 4 races ok I'm in with a chance. I think top prizes are running shop vouchers

19/11/2012 at 16:15

Ant - Brilliant!  Well done - I'm so pleased for you.  Glad you remembered to rehydrate after the race.

I'm starting to think long runs are overrated - for us ladies anyway. 

Chick - that sounds really complicated.  Quite good being on the same course and you can see some improvement with each one, hopefully.

19/11/2012 at 16:29

Fantastic Ant - well done!!

Gazelle:  the races are 4 miles Boxing Day, 12 miles 27th Dec, 10k 30th Dec, 10k 1st Jan.  Boxing Day is one to go for, 27th is off-road and just for fun and I'll target one of the 10ks - which one depends on whether we get any invites over the period!!

My plan for VLM is long slow off road ultras and shorter, faster road runs. I am guessing I will still run the same time I have run for the last 4 years [all within a couple of minutes of each other]

19/11/2012 at 16:32
Minni wrote (see)

Oompa - Are you saying you ran London because your club mate couldn't at the last minute?  How did that work because I'm sure the date for transferring club names is February.  Did you run under his name or were you able to change it last minute?

I'm glad to hear you are going to take the proper rest with your calf - I was going to suggest cycling but that seems to be another issue all together!   Have you had your bike set up properly? I've read that any pains or niggles caused by cycling can be eradicated by correct positioning.

What were your times for London and MK?

Minni - Oh no, why an inhaler? 

Re VLM this year, i believe the phrase is "ask me no questions and i'll tell you no lies"... Yes, i ran under his name.

VLM time was 3.27.52, would've been quicker but started in pen 6 i think, so first mile was literally walking.

MK - 3.45.52... Don't ask!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't had the bike set up for me as it's only an ancient Scott mountainbike that is sitting, covered in mud in the garage, so i've never bothered. That said, although i'm sure set-up will help, the knee issue is a long-standing one that bit me in the bum 10 days before VLM 2010, so it's not just cycling that does it.

19/11/2012 at 16:34

WHERE'S COOKS'S RACE REPORT?????????????????????????

19/11/2012 at 16:42
Forever - bloody amazing. Well done.

Ant - fantastic. A pb isnt it? Well done.

Spoons - hope you're better

Minni - hope you're better too

Happy tapering/easy week to Norwich lot and Bro!
19/11/2012 at 16:44

tut tut Oompa.    Your times are very similar to mine when I did the 'double'.  Edinburgh is 5 weeks after VLM.  In 2009 I did 3:32 in London following by a painful 3:43 in Edinburgh.  Last year I did both again, London 3:20 followed by 3:42 in Edinburgh.    For me, I'd given my all in London both times and I was still tired come the second one.   However, others seem to be able to do two closer together with much more success, Mark D who drops in here for example.

I've had an inhaler in the past for exercise induced asthma but I've got it this time to relieve the airways.  She said my chest sounded clear but I have a viral infection in my airways.   

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.